PDA

View Full Version : Corey Webster - 1st and 2nd Season

FroZeNx31x
05-17-2012, 08:29 PM
Webster's first two seasons were like something out of a Hollywood movie. A highly touted college prospect that gets drafted in the 2nd round to a team looking to change their image in the secondary. He gets the nod as a starter and shows flashes of the potential he showcased in college. Then, out of nowhere he hits the biggest wall possible. He goes from being a starter to limited action, to not even dressing for a 3 or 4 game period. What happens next are what dreams are made of.... Webster regains his starting role towards the end of the year and shuts down every opposing WR leading a dominating defense all the way to a Superbowl victory.

This is why Corey Webster will always be my favorite Giant. He set the example for everyone on the team that says, "Even When Your Losing You Never Really Loss". Now he's regarded, in circles that actually know football, as one of the best DB's in the NFL.

NYG4lifeNYK
05-17-2012, 08:46 PM
Great post brother [B]

See the sig.

JacksGiant76
05-17-2012, 08:53 PM
This is also why posters need to not get so down on players after their rookie seasons. It takes time for players to adjust, some longer than others, and people just seem to have no patience. I still remember people talking about releasing Mario Manningham after his rookie season....

Hypno66
05-17-2012, 08:58 PM
Webster's first two seasons where like something out of a Hollywood movie. A highly touted college prospect that gets drafted in the 2nd round to a team looking to change their image in the secondary. He gets the nod as a starter and shows flashes of the potential he showcased in college. Then, out of nowhere he hits the biggest wall possible. He goes from being a starter to limited action, to not even dressing for a 3 or 4 game period. What happens next are what dreams are made of.... Webster regains his starting role towards the end of the year and shuts down every opposing WR leading a dominating defense all the way to a Superbowl victory.

This is why Corey Webster will always be my favorite Giant. He set the example for everyone on the team that says, "Even When Your Losing You Never Really Loss". Now he's regarded, in circles that actually know football, as one of the best DB's in the NFL.

BRAVO

TheBookOfEli
05-17-2012, 09:00 PM
It's a shame C-Web never has been to the Pro-bowl. The guy will probably retire as a great corner back that no one heard of.

BeatYale
05-17-2012, 09:39 PM
Good post.

Webster has been a constant for our defense for years now. He's a true Giant. He doesn't make negative headlines in the media, he quietly gets the job done every year.

Regarding the lack of patience from the fan base for rookies, I think that's a problem you inherit from being a championship team. When you're at the top of the world the fans overreact to losses and quickly start assuming the sky is falling. They want changes fast - so they are quick to label players as busts or ask for Coughlin or Eli's head after a bad game.

FroZeNx31x
05-17-2012, 10:53 PM
As of right now i don't see Webster being voted into the Pro Bowl by the fans. He's not flashy enough for the public, that doesn't matter though we love him here in NY.

egyptian420
05-17-2012, 10:55 PM
It's a shame C-Web never has been to the Pro-bowl. The guy will probably retire as a great corner back that no one heard of.
I couldn't agree more, one of the most underrated CB's, if not, the Most underrated CB in the game

07 Post season he was a SHUT DOWN CB....he was playing on Revis' level during that SB run

KidA
05-17-2012, 11:00 PM
Yeah, that was weird.

TheAussieGiant
05-18-2012, 07:48 AM
I couldn't agree more, one of the most underrated CB's, if not, the Most underrated CB in the game

07 Post season he was a SHUT DOWN CB....he was playing on Revis' level during that SB run

A 2 time (or more) superbowl champion corner, that Giants fans will remember for a long time.

This guy has earned his spot in my memory, and earned the respect of the majority of the Giants fan base.

He doesn't need to have made the pro bowl to have had a wondrous career that he can be proud of.

TuckYou
05-18-2012, 08:51 AM
He was soooo bad at times, nearly was cut. It was ridiculous. But wasnt that under Tim Lewis' D? Everyone looked bad.

G.I. Ants
05-18-2012, 09:44 AM
If I remember best about his first 2 seasons, he played terrible. He was getting burned regularly. He was a liability for a while and considered a bust until the playoffs came in 07. Sam Madison was injured and somebody had to step up, and C-Web stepped up in a major way shutting down Joey Galloway, who had an amazing year that year. He continued to play at the same high level against Dallas and Green Bay highlighted by his OT INT on Farve.

He definitely earned his praise because he worked his butt off to get where he is today. He played very well last year guarding teams top WRs, even getting praise from commentators acknowledging his game. Will he ever be an all-pro, I don't know. He was never a high INT guy. Plus he is a member of the team with the most dynamic pass rush in all of football making him a forgotten asset. As long as he is under the radar, I'm good because I know he produces.

FroZeNx31x
05-18-2012, 03:36 PM
Yea, if Madison never suffered the injury it could have been a different outcome for Webster's career.

G-Man67
05-18-2012, 04:06 PM
good example of why you can't go BUST too early ... this league is no joke, the best football players in the world and when a CB makes a mistake ... everyone sees it</P>

people are already BUSTing on Prince and it's just too soon ... he held up well in the postseason, IMO and hopefully he stays healthy this year and raises his play another notch</P>

Spizi
05-18-2012, 04:24 PM
Webster is definitely our best CB but a lot of people want to say hes a top 8 CB in the league... he is not. He's not even the best CB in our division. Definitely great value for a 2nd round pick though.

Redeyejedi
05-18-2012, 04:38 PM
As of right now i don't see Webster being voted into the Pro Bowl by the fans. He's not flashy enough for the public, that doesn't matter though we love him here in NY.I dont know depends he had 6 picks last season. Interceptions get fans 2 notice

Mo Carthon
05-18-2012, 05:14 PM
I'll never forget him tipping the ball away from Moss on the Pats' last possession in SB 42. That bomb from Brady down the left-side, it was going right into Moss's hands. Webster got one finger on it -- I think his middle finger. If he doesn't, Pats have the ball at the 20-yard line, and that's being generous for Blue.

jomo
05-18-2012, 06:46 PM
Webster's first two seasons were like something out of a Hollywood movie. A highly touted college prospect that gets drafted in the 2nd round to a team looking to change their image in the secondary. He gets the nod as a starter and shows flashes of the potential he showcased in college. Then, out of nowhere he hits the biggest wall possible. He goes from being a starter to limited action, to not even dressing for a 3 or 4 game period. What happens next are what dreams are made of.... Webster regains his starting role towards the end of the year and shuts down every opposing WR leading a dominating defense all the way to a Superbowl victory.

#23He showed that he is a real professional through that stretch. He just kept his head down and kept working to improve his game.Great to have him as a Giant!

jomo
05-18-2012, 06:49 PM
I'll never forget him tipping the ball away from Moss on the Pats' last possession in SB 42. That bomb from Brady down the left-side, it was going right into Moss's hands. Webster got one finger on it -- I think his middle finger. If he doesn't, Pats have the ball at the 20-yard line, and that's being generous for Blue.That was an incredible play from a number of standpoints starting with what you pointed out. However, on that same play Brady elevated himself in my eyes forever (I hate saying that lol). He had just been sacked (ie pounded) by Alford, yet he has the tenacity to take the ball again, exposing himself to more punishment and throws it deep right on the receiver's hands but for Webster.

NYG4lifeNYK
05-18-2012, 10:40 PM
Webster is definitely our best CB but a lot of people want to say hes a top 8 CB in the league... he is not. He's not even the best CB in our division. Definitely great value for a 2nd round pick though.

LOL

RagTime Blue
05-18-2012, 11:16 PM
The ProBowl is finally being exposed for the joke that it always was.

In my mind, there's AP All-Pro FIRST and SECOND teams. . .and that's it.

He's an excellent player, and we're lucky to have him, but let's keep it real. . .other teams don't game-plan around Corey Webster.