PDA

View Full Version : Should Osi, Have Apologized To Sarah Spain ?

BlueBlitzer
05-17-2012, 09:41 PM
Or is this " Political Correctness " on Steroids ?

Rudyy
05-17-2012, 09:45 PM
Why should he have?
She's ridiculous.

RoanokeFan
05-17-2012, 10:04 PM
Evidently he felt he should, what else matters?

BlueBlitzer
05-17-2012, 10:20 PM

Because by doing so, He turned a nobody into a somrbody. By caving in with a " Mea Culpa " to the internet world, was even worse.

RoanokeFan
05-17-2012, 10:33 PM

Because by doing so, He turned a nobody into a somrbody. By caving in with a " Mea Culpa " to the internet world, was even worse.

In the 48 hour life cycle that news has become, this will be forgotten pretty quickly.

BlueBlitzer
05-17-2012, 10:39 PM

Because by doing so, He turned a nobody into a somebody. By caving in with a " Mea Culpa " to the internet world, was even worse.

In the 48 hour life cycle that news has become, this will be forgotten pretty quickly.

So so true. Today's Front Page news, is tomorrows bird cage liner.

Drez
05-17-2012, 10:52 PM
He didn't apologize to Spain, he apologized to all women everywhere.

And no, it's not political correctness on steroids. Language, and the concepts language represent, define reality on a very basic and subconscious level. As such, to consistently equate being female with being less than or lacking in some manner, in essense defines women as being less than and lacking in some manner.

We, as human beings, should be striving to better ourselves, to become more aware of these things. This isn't to say that there isn't room for jocular humor or anything like that, but there is a time and place for that; one where the audience knows what is being said is purely jest.

Now, with that being said, I'm as guilty as anyone of doing the same thing as Osi. I am, however, aware that I am not living up to a standard of behavior that I should and should strive to.

Dan Graziano, the NFCE Blogger at ESPN, wrote a very well written and thoughtful response that sums up where I stand on the issue perfectly. http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/39192/osi-umenyiora-apologizes-to-women

BeatYale
05-18-2012, 01:04 AM
He has to because his actions/comments reach a much larger audience than us common folks. It wasn't as bad as Roddy White's tweets about homosexuals though.

Bing Crosby
05-18-2012, 02:09 AM
Honestly in my opinion it is over sensitive political correctness run a mock. But at 1:06 AM I'm not willing to get into it to much now.

Moments like this just reminds me that a guy like Don Rickles could never exist today had he not come from the time before all this political correctness bs started. People have got to stop taking things so damn seriously all the time.

MattyD21
05-18-2012, 02:18 AM
osi saying what he said to mccoy warmed my heart because it made me think that all my passion and what i feel every sunday ( and offseason( aka 24/7)) isnt just some "sport" that im way to into. its what i thrive for, any women who took to much into the comment (tweet) osi wrote can honestly kick rocks ..

Drez
05-18-2012, 02:31 AM
Honestly in my opinion it is over sensitive political correctness run a mock. But at 1:06 AM I'm not willing to get into it to much now.

Moments like this just reminds me that a guy like Don Rickles could never exist today had he not come from the time before all this political correctness bs started. People have got to stop taking things so damn seriously all the time.

There is a time and place. A person like Rickles may exist now as people are aware that what he's saying is said to illicit a reaction, either it be laughter or ire.

You are missing the larger point about how language, and what we do with it, defines reality.

Bing Crosby
05-18-2012, 02:50 AM
There is a time and place. A person like Rickles may exist now as people are aware that what he's saying is said to illicit a reaction, either it be laughter or ire.

You are missing the larger point about how language, and what we do with it, defines reality.

Your under the impression that language and how people use it are going to cause the destruction of said people. For example in the 60's well the Rat Pack were supporting the Civil Rights Movement they were also making jokes that many people such as yourself would consider "racist" towards Sammy. Dean was famous for picking up Davis and "thanking the NAACP for the new bell boy to clean my room." Sinatra was teased for being in the pocket of the Mob, and Dean was called a worthless drunk.

The reality was something else. Sinatra defend Davis from the mob when he started dating Kim Novak, the Rat Pack desegregated Las Vegas, and fought for equality. The entire time makes jokes about each other ethnicity well into the 80s.

Your over sensitive. Spend some time in the military, or in an actual neighborhood that still has some character. You call your best friend a porch monkey, "the polack", "the wop", or Tommy the Jew out of habit and not as a real insult. Calling someone a little girl or a woman is about as insulting as calling a rich white guy an annoying wasp. It isn't what you say, it's your actions.

Go cry me a river about how horrible the modern day lexicon is now. You ain't seen nothing kid, and you need to get your panties out of a bunch.

Drez
05-18-2012, 03:20 AM

Your under the impression that language and how people use it are going to cause the destruction of said people. For example in the 60's well the Rat Pack were supporting the Civil Rights Movement they were also making jokes that many people such as yourself would consider "racist" towards Sammy. Dean was famous for picking up Davis and "thanking the NAACP for the new bell boy to clean my room." Sinatra was teased for being in the pocket of the Mob, and Dean was called a worthless drunk.

The reality was something else. Sinatra defend Davis from the mob when he started dating Kim Novak, the Rat Pack desegregated Las Vegas, and fought for equality. The entire time makes jokes about each other ethnicity well into the 80s.

Your over sensitive. Spend some time in the military, or in an actual neighborhood that still has some character. You call your best friend a porch monkey, "the polack", "the wop", or Tommy the Jew out of habit and not as a real insult. Calling someone a little girl or a woman is about as insulting as calling a rich white guy an annoying wasp. It isn't what you say, it's your actions.

Go cry me a river about how horrible the modern day lexicon is now. You ain't seen nothing kid, and you need to get your panties out of a bunch.

And again, you fail to see the difference between distinct audiences.

lavar2
05-18-2012, 02:22 PM
It's just funny that she wrote the column on sexism and women not getting enough respect in terms of the sports world (which is very much true). Google image her name and there are plenty of photos of this espn writer posing in bikinis and taking pictures with athletes in very low cut shirts. No problem with the article just funny that she was the one to write it.

JMFP2
05-18-2012, 02:48 PM
Is it sexist to say that Sarah Spain is a total piece of a**?

Because she is.

http://espn.go.com/espnw/commentary/7938434/said-questioning-inequality-insults

JMFP2
05-18-2012, 02:52 PM
http://img1.ranker.com/user_node_img/50006/1000107355/C300/how-dirty-boys-get-clean-the-sarah-spain-story-photo-u1.jpg

lavar2
05-18-2012, 03:00 PM
My point exactly.

Drez
05-18-2012, 03:17 PM
It's just funny that she wrote the column on sexism and women not getting enough respect in terms of the sports world (which is very much true). Google image her name and there are plenty of photos of this espn writer posing in bikinis and taking pictures with athletes in very low cut shirts. No problem with the article just funny that she was the one to write it.
Why is it funny? Doesn't that highlight more your own double standards on sexuality than hers?

jhamburg
05-18-2012, 03:57 PM
I don't understand why it's an insult to women. It's insulting because McCoy is NOT a woman. Osi obviously isn't implying that being a woman is inferior, if you actually are one.

It's like when people call Brittney Griner a man, are they insulting men? No, they are insulting her because she is most likely a woman.

RoanokeFan
05-18-2012, 04:12 PM

What does her physical appearance have to do with her opinion?

Drez
05-18-2012, 04:17 PM

Like I said earlier, I think it just highlights the double standards and the issue of which she speaks more.

jhamburg
05-18-2012, 04:24 PM

The point is, she's directly benefiting from sexism is sports/media, due to the fact that she was hired partially based on her looks, as most female reporters are. It's obviously not her fault that she's attractive, but she's clearly playing the game by dressing in a sexy way and doing modelling shoots etc, that are going to give her an edge over other less attractive (but otherwise more qualified) women.

Bing Crosby
05-18-2012, 05:16 PM

I swear, sometimes talking to people like you is like talking to a damn revolving door. So I'll try to explain this one more time so even the bunters and all the original losers out there can understand it.

There was no huge outcry from women when Osi sent his original tweet. In fact seemingly of all the women in the world who can read English there was only one woman who was offended enough that she had to take to her keyboard and pound out just how offending the offensive word "woman" can be towards oversensitive ears, when used between men as a teasing phrase.

In other words she's a person who mad a big deal out of absolutely nothing, and Osi seemingly felt obligied to apologize and bow down to the word Gestapo.

Give me a break. One woman who is seemingly being paid to be the thought police shouldn't be given the power to condemn other people because of how they talk. And save me the tree hugging hippie "we all need to get along" crap. This meant nothing to anyone but Sarah Spain and Osi should have just ignored her. Instead he empowered her even further for her useless cause.

No real woman in the world was offended. There was no ground swell of objections, there was nothing. There wasn't any marches in the streets, shops weren't being attacked, and there isn't a long history of abuse to point to of any meaningful value. What there was, was one columnist who made it her job to seek out "offensive speech" and put a stop to it, because it bothered her and her alone.

Osi applogived like most modern celebrities who get attacked by this peddler of victimhood. Because heaven forbid that someone becomes "offended" even if no one else in the entire world took notice. It's political correctness run a mock.

For those of you in Endsville who still don't get it, all this woman did was create a false "outrage" and became more powerful for it because Osi responded to her. It's people like her who desensitized the entire public because they are outraged by everything, so when something truly bad is said in public the majority of people's eyes just glaze over and they stop listening.

Stop crying wolf or when a true outrage does show up people just aren't going to give a damn. This trivial nonsense is a waste of everyone's time.

RoanokeFan
05-18-2012, 06:20 PM

The point is, she's directly benefiting from sexism is sports/media, due to the fact that she was hired partially based on her looks, as most female reporters are. It's obviously not her fault that she's attractive, but she's clearly playing the game by dressing in a sexy way and doing modelling shoots etc, that are going to give her an edge over other less attractive (but otherwise more qualified) women.

You have no way of knowing any of that. But I do agree the male audience dictates that women in sportscasting be attractive and that's on us.

lavar2
05-18-2012, 07:32 PM
"It's obviously not her fault that she's attractive, but she's clearly playing the game by dressing in a sexy way and doing modelling shoots etc, that are going to give her an edge over other less attractive (but otherwise more qualified) women."

This right here.

Drez
05-18-2012, 11:33 PM

I swear, sometimes talking to people like you is like talking to a damn revolving door. So I'll try to explain this one more time so even the bunters and all the original losers out there can understand it.

There was no huge outcry from women when Osi sent his original tweet. In fact seemingly of all the women in the world who can read English there was only one woman who was offended enough that she had to take to her keyboard and pound out just how offending the offensive word "woman" can be towards oversensitive ears, when used between men as a teasing phrase.

In other words she's a person who mad a big deal out of absolutely nothing, and Osi seemingly felt obligied to apologize and bow down to the word Gestapo.

Give me a break. One woman who is seemingly being paid to be the thought police shouldn't be given the power to condemn other people because of how they talk. And save me the tree hugging hippie "we all need to get along" crap. This meant nothing to anyone but Sarah Spain and Osi should have just ignored her. Instead he empowered her even further for her useless cause.

No real woman in the world was offended. There was no ground swell of objections, there was nothing. There wasn't any marches in the streets, shops weren't being attacked, and there isn't a long history of abuse to point to of any meaningful value. What there was, was one columnist who made it her job to seek out "offensive speech" and put a stop to it, because it bothered her and her alone.

Osi applogived like most modern celebrities who get attacked by this peddler of victimhood. Because heaven forbid that someone becomes "offended" even if no one else in the entire world took notice. It's political correctness run a mock.

For those of you in Endsville who still don't get it, all this woman did was create a false "outrage" and became more powerful for it because Osi responded to her. It's people like her who desensitized the entire public because they are outraged by everything, so when something truly bad is said in public the majority of people's eyes just glaze over and they stop listening.

Stop crying wolf or when a true outrage does show up people just aren't going to give a damn. This trivial nonsense is a waste of everyone's time.

I was going to write a thoughtful response to you, but I realized your ignorance would prevent you from understanding any of it.