PDA

View Full Version : Steve smith

RichGiants81
05-22-2012, 10:51 AM
Does the fact the Reese didn't kick the tires on smith this time who could have been a cheap replacement for Mario demonstrate that the front office is holding a grudge against him for the way he left or were they confident with what they had already going into the draft??? It still upsets me that he's gone, he clicked so well with Eli and was a third down guarantee. I'm really gonna miss Mario too

burier
05-22-2012, 11:11 AM
Does the fact the Reese didn't kick the tires on smith this time who could have been a cheap replacement for Mario demonstrate that the front office is holding a grudge against him for the way he left or were they confident with what they had already going into the draft??? It still upsets me that he's gone, he clicked so well with Eli and was a third down guarantee. I'm really gonna miss Mario too

Steve Smith is an injured slot reciever who is good when healthy.

Victor Cruz is an uninjured slot reciever who is great when healthy.

No grudge required.

Spedracer
05-22-2012, 11:19 AM

No grudge required.

Kinda hard to argue with this one. Wish SS the best now that he isn't with a division rival. But to think he will get back to his 1200yd mark is hard to imagine. Definitely a sure handed receiver. He now has quickness and durability concerns.

Mod_C
05-22-2012, 11:23 AM

Players come and go every season. The Giants rely on their process of developing players and quality roster depth so that they can insert the "next man up" when we lose a player to injury, free agency, etc.

It works. All of the hand wringing when Smith and Boss left was for naught. Reese provides the talent and Coughlin's coaches get them NFL ready.

I don't think Smith did himself any favors by leaving on a sour note, but Reese is a business man and will always do whart's best for the team. We just don't need Steve Smith.

Flip Empty
05-22-2012, 11:54 AM
I don't know how anyone can still be upset after what Victor Cruz did last season.

I don't think he'd have been an adequate replacement for Mario because he's a different kind of receiver. Mario stretches the field, whereas Smith goes over the middle.

I'm still a fan of Smith but I'm not longing for his return. He simply isn't needed.

RoanokeFan
05-22-2012, 11:58 AM
I don't know how anyone can still be upset after what Victor Cruz did last season.

I don't think he'd have been an adequate replacement for Mario because he's a different kind of receiver. Mario stretches the field, whereas Smith goes over the middle.

<font color="#0000FF">I'm still a fan of Smith but I'm not longing for his return. </font>He simply isn't needed.

That's how I feel about Phil Simms and a few others.

BeatYale
05-22-2012, 12:01 PM

He could collect a pay check while riding the pine watching the Victor Cruz Show® on the field.

I think he hasn't proven that he can still play on that knee. Either way there's no real spot for him here considering Cruz is our slot guy.

RagTime Blue
05-22-2012, 12:03 PM
Does the fact the <font size="6">Reese didn't kick the tires on smith</font> this time who could have been a cheap replacement for Mario demonstrate that the front office is holding a grudge against him for the way he left or were they confident with what they had already going into the draft??? It still upsets me that he's gone, he clicked so well with Eli and was a third down guarantee. I'm really gonna miss Mario too

Maybe he did kick the tires, and didn't like the feel of them. Who knows, maybe JR even made an offer, but Smith and his agent felt better about another offer.

JR will do what's best for the team. Holding grudges isn't best for the team.

Diamondring
05-22-2012, 12:07 PM
Does the fact the Reese didn't kick the tires on smith this time who could have been a cheap replacement for Mario demonstrate that the front office is holding a grudge against him for the way he left or were they confident with what they had already going into the draft??? It still upsets me that he's gone, he clicked so well with Eli and was a third down guarantee. I'm really gonna miss Mario tooI predict that Mario will do good with the 49ers and I liked him very much. Soon another wr was drafted in the high rounds and I forgot about those other players Smith and Mario and you should as well.

thomsoad
05-23-2012, 11:55 AM
Everybody pretty much nailed. SS just isnt needed.

If Reese was the kind of player to hold grudges he wulda traded Osi and never had a meeting with Plax.

Yeah Plax didnt sign with us but thats not on account of Reese.

Gimaniac
05-23-2012, 12:53 PM
"Once a Giant, always a Giant"

Balderdash.

How many players are ever brought back?

Should be:

"Once a Giant, once a Giant."

That being said, it seems to be working, so who's to argue?

jimsgints
05-23-2012, 12:54 PM
Everybody pretty much nailed. SS just isnt needed.

If Reese was the kind of player to hold grudges he wulda traded Osi and never had a meeting with Plax.

Yeah Plax didnt sign with us but thats not on account of Reese.
I agree and I'd like to add, I don't think Reese holds a grudge but I do believe that the class and respect the Giants have would prevent a trade with Smith from happening.

B&RWarrior
05-23-2012, 02:11 PM

SS was great when healthy. Pro Bowler that led the league in 3rd down receptions for first downs.

No grudge required.

miked1958
05-24-2012, 01:46 AM
Not this again

RichGiants81
05-24-2012, 06:11 AM

I'm still a fan of Smith but I'm not longing for his return. He simply isn't needed.

I'm not complaining, I'm just curious because I really loved smith and Mario. Obviously I love Cruz, I was on his band wagon from day one and was really upset when they IRed him in 2011 and when there was talk this year about him not making the team. My point is that it would be nice to have smith back in the rotation with nicks and Cruz... Those two aren't both gonna play all 16 games, hopefully I'm wrong on that. But he would have been affordable and a great player for depth and for certain situations like a crucial 3rd and 7 in the red zone

Drez
05-24-2012, 06:28 AM

I'm not complaining, I'm just curious because I really loved smith and Mario. Obviously I love Cruz, I was on his band wagon from day one and was really upset when they IRed him in 2011 and when there was talk this year about him not making the team. My point is that it would be nice to have smith back in the rotation with nicks and Cruz... Those two aren't both gonna play all 16 games, hopefully I'm wrong on that. But he would have been affordable and a great player for depth and for certain situations like a crucial 3rd and 7 in the red zone
Nicks is a much better target on 3rd an7 in the redzone than either Cruz or Smith. Cruz is just as adept at getting open as Smith and can actually do something with the ball after he has it.

Captain Chaos
05-24-2012, 09:10 AM
I don't think there is any kind of grudge going on here. The simple fact is Steve Smith was injured and didn't come back to a high level. That's not saying he wont, but we have a solid slot guy and one in the wings. This is not a position of great need.

Kruunch
05-24-2012, 09:18 AM

The Giants under Jerry Reese seemed to be more concerned with going forward rather than looking backwards.

And you forgot to mention the obvious ... maybe SS didn't want to come back to the Giants. Works both ways.

TuckYou
05-24-2012, 10:39 AM
If Steve Smith stays healthy, no way we have Victor Cruz right now. Who knows how things turn out, but Im not sure we would of made the playoffs without Cruz this past season.

Bohemian
05-24-2012, 11:07 AM
water under bridge... not an issue since the fall of 2011.

G-Man67
05-24-2012, 11:08 AM
i will 100% guarantee we are not making personnel decisions based on grudges

Diamondring
05-24-2012, 04:01 PM
After Giants win Superbowl, there are still posts like this coming out. What the heck is going on here?

FBomb
05-24-2012, 04:07 PM
Didn't Smith choose to go to the ****ing Eagles? **** STEVE SMITH!!!</P>

I can't believe this is even being discussed.</P>

RoanokeFan
05-24-2012, 05:55 PM
Didn't Smith choose to go to the ****ing Eagles? **** STEVE SMITH!!!</p>

I can't believe this is even being discussed.</p>

Wait for the handwringers to reaffirm how dumb we are for not having brought SS back now that Nicks has a fractured foot.