PDA

View Full Version : NY GIANTS' PLAYERS UNDER PRESSURE: DAVID BAAS

RoanokeFan
05-22-2012, 11:32 AM
NY GIANTS' PLAYERS UNDER PRESSURE: DAVID BAAS (http://www.bigblueview.com/2012/5/22/3034798/new-york-giants-players-under-pressure-david-baas)

"Center David Baas was the one big free-agent signing by New York Giants
general manager Jerry Reese prior to the 2011 NFL season, brought in to anchor
the Giants' offensive line after three-time Pro Bowl center Shaun O'Hara was
betrayed by his body after 11 NFL seasons.<div class="entry-body">

The Giants won the Super Bowl, of course, but Baas first season with the
Giants was a difficult one. He played just 11 games, missing time with what was
listed as a neck injury, though it was eventually disclosed that Baas was
suffering severe headaches. When Baas did play, it wasn't especially well. He
compiled a -11.3 rating from Pro Footbal Focus, and there were times when it
seemed like the Giants offensive line played better with fill-in center Kevin
Boothe in the lineup than it did with the highly-paid Baas.</p>

Baas makes the list of 'Players Under Pressure' entering the 2012 season
because he has a long, long way to go to justify the five-year, $27.5-million
contract ($11.5 million guaranteed) the Giants signed him to prior to last
season. </p>

To be fair to Baas, the NFL Lockout meant that free agency was held right
before the start of training camps. And the new training camp rules agreed to in
the Collective Bargaining Agreement took away two-a-day practices, giving Baas
very little time to learn his teammates, learn the offense and refine the
communication a center is responsible for -- something that only comes with time
and practice.</p>
<p class="extend-divide"><a name="storyjump"></a>http://cdn1.sbnation.com/images/blog/star-divide.v5e9d7f1.jpg</p>

Yet, Baas' individual performance left a lot to be desired. The -11.3 rating
placed him 29th out of 34 centers graded by PFF. As we know, the play of the
offensive line as a whole also left a lot to be desired.</p>

The Giants can hope for a full, healthy season from left tackle Will Beatty.
They can hope David Diehl has enough left to handle right tackle. They can hope
Mitch Petrus is ready for full-time duty at left guard, and that right guard
Chris Snee is healthy and resembles the Pro Bowl player he was a couple of
seasons ago.</p>

If the line is to be better, however, they need Baas to anchor it in the
middle. Boothe is an adequate fill-in, but there remains no real long-term Plan
B if Baas does not get the job done.</p>

In 2010 with San Francisco, Baas graded +3.4 while playing center for the
49ers, including +6.0 as a run blocker. That is the player the Giants need to
see in 2012. If that isn't the player they get next season the Giants might be
forced to look elsewhere for a long-term anchor in the middle of their offensive
line."</p></div>

GMENAGAIN
05-22-2012, 11:45 AM
Baas played very well in the Super Bowl. . . . hopefully that's the Baas that we will see this upcoming season.

RoanokeFan
05-22-2012, 11:51 AM
Baas played very well in the Super Bowl. . . . hopefully that's the Baas that we will see this upcoming season.

Last year was a disaster from a player preparation standpoint. I expect the entire OLine to play much better this season.

Jobarulz
05-22-2012, 06:38 PM
He's a big key for this upcoming season, I was very down on him last year during the season, but I liked his play in the postseason. We'll see which one shows up.

fourth&forever
05-22-2012, 09:07 PM
Hope they have those headaches solved.

Toadofsteel
05-23-2012, 10:51 AM
I think Baas still has something left in him. He was left to hold off Wilfork by himself in the super bowl many times...

TrueBlue@NYC
05-23-2012, 12:11 PM
I'm actually pretty confident that Baas will more resemble the player he was in SF than what he was during the season.

Not uncommon for FA's to struggle in their first season on a team, new work environment, injuries, shorten off-season are alot to overcome. A year to settle in and an offseason to work, things should get better.

My biggest concern is at tackle. We need beatty to be the answer at LT and someone b/t Locklear, Dehl and Brewer must step up at RT.

nygsb42champs
05-23-2012, 12:47 PM
I would agree that there is pressure for him to perform. He gets a pass last year because of injuries.

Tommy_Ribs
05-23-2012, 01:11 PM
Call me crazy, but there were moments last year where Baas really looked like a great player.

I know he had his struggles too, probably because of that neck injury, but there were times I saw him really handling someone at the point of attack, or getting to the second level and hammering guys, that I came away with an appreciation for what he could do.

I am just hoping for some continuity this year, and that these guys can play a lot of games together asa single unit.

TuckYou
05-23-2012, 01:20 PM
He was horrible during the season. I remember early on when Diehl was next to him, they were just so bad together. Both of them. Got abused. No push and they let speed DLmen get right around them. No communication and no strength is what it looked liek to me. We were a lot better with Boothe and Petrus. Boothe is a better center but cant snap the ball, lol.

Captain Chaos
05-23-2012, 03:12 PM
He was horrible during the season. I remember early on when Diehl was next to him, they were just so bad together. Both of them. Got abused. No push and they let speed DLmen get right around them. No communication and no strength is what it looked liek to me. We were a lot better with Boothe and Petrus. Boothe is a better center but cant snap the ball, lol.

I've got to agree, we need a plan B because last year just didn't work well...

bigblue999
05-23-2012, 03:18 PM
I don't know what you're talking about...BAAS was a huge upgrade to o'hara...he the last thing the Giants need to worry about

fourth&forever
05-23-2012, 05:41 PM
I don't know what you're talking about...BAAS was a huge upgrade to o'hara...he the last thing the Giants need to worry about
Big concern if he's not in because of headaches and neck trouble. And Kevin Boothbutt is a much better run blocker.

JJC7301
05-23-2012, 10:56 PM
I think that Baas will play MUCH better this season. I believe in JR's talent evaluation.

jomo
05-23-2012, 11:35 PM

Last year was a disaster from a player preparation standpoint. I expect the entire OLine to play much better this season.
But RF didn't every team have to deal with that? We had 3 solid returning pieceson our OL plus Beatty who had been with the team for 3 years. It should have been better IMO.

Neverend
05-23-2012, 11:42 PM
I wouldn't even say Baas struggled all that badly last season. Had his injuries and struggled with giving help and combination blocks. Hopefully the latter is fixed with a training camp

G-Man67
05-24-2012, 11:19 AM
the headaches concern me and im sure they affected his play ... i hope that issue is in the past</P>

then you have the chemistry issues, which should not be much of a factor this season barring injuries</P>

the o-line will be something to watch ... hopefully they all stay healthy and there is better chemistry</P>

giantsfan420
05-24-2012, 12:35 PM
the headaches concern me and im sure they affected his play ... i hope that issue is in the past</P>

then you have the chemistry issues, which should not be much of a factor this season barring injuries</P>

the o-line will be something to watch ... hopefully they all stay healthy and there is better chemistry</P>

The chemistry aspect is pivotal imho. We have fielded ol's that were made up of late rd picks, but they would play at the highest levels. When our ol was at its best, they started something like 66 games in a row together...

Imo, an ol needs to be aware of what his fellow linemen is doing as much as he is of what he should be doing.

The lack of a preseason, and the new cba rules, really handicapped the ol ability to get on the same page.

Im hoping with the coaches and extra time, the ol will play much better...

Therebwere times when the ol good, but a lot more where they looked bad. Our success is gonna depend heavily on the ol. We r so lucky to have a qb made up of rubber...we dont need to depend on elis ability to avoid the rush or take big hits...

Im fine witha line like ;i beatty boothe baas snee diehl

Brewer and pwtrus as depth with lockler mcants and mccordle or whatever that backups c name is...

Lockler, petrus and brewer could even make a push to get to the starting unit...

JMFP2
05-24-2012, 01:23 PM
I'm giving Baas a mullgan for last season.... the lockout, new linemates, injuries on the line, etc.

This year, hopefully he'll perform up to his contract.....Reese invested alot of money in this guy.