PDA

View Full Version : MANNING, GIANTS FOCUSED AS THEY RETURN TO FIELD

RoanokeFan
05-23-2012, 09:56 PM
MANNING, GIANTS FOCUSED AS THEY RETURN TO FIELD (http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/47541085/ns/nfl/)

"As far as Eli Manning is concerned, the fulfillment of teammate Justin Tuck's
claim that the New York Giants can turn into an NFL dynasty began Wednesday with
the first organized team activity.
<p class="textBodyBlack"><span id="byLine"></span>"It starts," Manning said, "right
now."</p>
<p class="textBodyBlack"><span id="byLine"></span>With player equipment limited to only
helmets in this phase of OTAs, coaches conducted non-contact drills at the Timex
Performance Center. And while nothing spectacular happened, the champions were
indeed back on the field with some new additions, like first-round draft pick
David Wilson.</p>
<p class="textBodyBlack"><span id="byLine"></span>"Basically, it's a chance for the young
guys to get out there and the coaches are trying to simplify things for them,"
Manning said. "We've got new guys and we've got to get them used to our style of
play.</p>
<p class="textBodyBlack"><span id="byLine"></span>"It's getting used to how we practice,
how we prepare. When we come to the practice field, it's all business and full
speed."</p>
<p class="textBodyBlack"><span id="byLine"></span>While the two-time, Super Bowl MVP
quarterback indicated he has dynastic dreams, he said the team simply needs to
improve, starting with him.</p>
<p class="textBodyBlack"><span id="byLine"></span>"I'm just trying to play at my level
and my potential," Manning said.</p>
<p class="textBodyBlack"><span id="byLine"></span>Tuck, though, reiterated his plans to
collect three more rings to go along with the two he already has.</p>
<p class="textBodyBlack"><span id="byLine"></span>"Why shouldn't we be (a dynasty)," Tuck
asked. "I feel very confident in this team and this staff every year."</p>
<p class="textBodyBlack"><span id="byLine"></span>And this year, a seasoned Victor Cruz
plans to embrace a new role that Tuck and Manning already have: leader.</p>
<p class="textBodyBlack"><span id="byLine"></span>"It's a unique situation," Cruz said.
"I'm one of the older guys now, and the younger players look up to you. I'd like
to think I can make an impression on the younger guys that through seeing the
things that I do, they can see that things will happen through hard work."</p>
<p class="textBodyBlack"><span id="byLine"></span>Cruz finished last season with 82
catches and 1,536 yards receiving, which was a franchise single-season record.
He also had nine touchdowns.</p>
<p class="textBodyBlack"><span id="byLine"></span>But the feel-good, back-to-work day was
not without an injury. In fact, in the opening minutes, fourth-year cornerback
Brian Witherspoon went down in a simple position drill with yet another torn
ACL. Witherspoon, who would have played in the secondary on passing downs and on
special teams, missed all of last season when he tore the same one in the
preseason.</p>
<p class="textBodyBlack"><span id="byLine"></span>While on the ground, his teammates
knelt in prayer.</p>
<p class="textBodyBlack"><span id="byLine"></span>"It was heartbreaking," defensive back
Terrell Thomas said. "It was just a Cover-2 drill, and the knee gave out. It's
just tough to see because we know what he went through coming off an injury.
You've got to go back out there and do it."</p>

miked1958
05-24-2012, 01:44 AM
MANNING, GIANTS FOCUSED AS THEY RETURN TO FIELD (http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/47541085/ns/nfl/)

"As far as Eli Manning is concerned, the fulfillment of teammate Justin Tuck's
claim that the New York Giants can turn into an NFL dynasty began Wednesday with
the first organized team activity.
<p class="textBodyBlack"><span id="byLine"></span>"It starts," Manning said, "right
now."</p>
<p class="textBodyBlack"><span id="byLine"></span>With player equipment limited to only
helmets in this phase of OTAs, coaches conducted non-contact drills at the Timex
Performance Center. And while nothing spectacular happened, the champions were
indeed back on the field with some new additions, like first-round draft pick
David Wilson.</p>
<p class="textBodyBlack"><span id="byLine"></span>"Basically, it's a chance for the young
guys to get out there and the coaches are trying to simplify things for them,"
Manning said. "We've got new guys and we've got to get them used to our style of
play.</p>
<p class="textBodyBlack"><span id="byLine"></span>"It's getting used to how we practice,
how we prepare. When we come to the practice field, it's all business and full
speed."</p>
<p class="textBodyBlack"><span id="byLine"></span>While the two-time, Super Bowl MVP
quarterback indicated he has dynastic dreams, he said the team simply needs to
improve, starting with him.</p>
<p class="textBodyBlack"><span id="byLine"></span>"I'm just trying to play at my level
and my potential," Manning said.</p>
<p class="textBodyBlack"><span id="byLine"></span>Tuck, though, reiterated his plans to
collect three more rings to go along with the two he already has.</p>
<p class="textBodyBlack"><span id="byLine"></span>"Why shouldn't we be (a dynasty)," Tuck
asked. "I feel very confident in this team and this staff every year."</p>
<p class="textBodyBlack"><span id="byLine"></span>And this year, a seasoned Victor Cruz
plans to embrace a new role that Tuck and Manning already have: leader.</p>
<p class="textBodyBlack"><span id="byLine"></span>"It's a unique situation," Cruz said.
"I'm one of the older guys now, and the younger players look up to you. I'd like
to think I can make an impression on the younger guys that through seeing the
things that I do, they can see that things will happen through hard work."</p>
<p class="textBodyBlack"><span id="byLine"></span>Cruz finished last season with 82
catches and 1,536 yards receiving, which was a franchise single-season record.
He also had nine touchdowns.</p>
<p class="textBodyBlack"><span id="byLine"></span>But the feel-good, back-to-work day was
not without an injury. In fact, in the opening minutes, fourth-year cornerback
Brian Witherspoon went down in a simple position drill with yet another torn
ACL. Witherspoon, who would have played in the secondary on passing downs and on
special teams, missed all of last season when he tore the same one in the
preseason.</p>
<p class="textBodyBlack"><span id="byLine"></span>While on the ground, his teammates
knelt in prayer.</p>
<p class="textBodyBlack"><span id="byLine"></span>"It was heartbreaking," defensive back
Terrell Thomas said. "It was just a Cover-2 drill, and the knee gave out. It's
just tough to see because we know what he went through coming off an injury.
You've got to go back out there and do it."</p>Focus on a 5th Lombardi Trohy

nygfanmaybe
05-24-2012, 06:54 AM
I know that the schedule depends on how you finish the previous year...however...it seems odd to me that the Giants' schedule continues to be the toughest in the league by what appears to me to be a wide margin.

I have concluded that the reason is two-fold...

1)The Giants can take it and still win a respectable amount of games, and..

2)The tougher the games, the more interest by the viewers which, when it comes down to it, is the ultimate goal of the NFL.

I think that the men in charge are very happy with their favorite team and the results they've given and the ratings they've provided.

All JMO, though.

Captain Chaos
05-24-2012, 09:17 AM
I know that the schedule depends on how you finish the previous year...however...it seems odd to me that the Giants' schedule continues to be the toughest in the league by what appears to me to be a wide margin.

I have concluded that the reason is two-fold...

1)The Giants can take it and still win a respectable amount of games, and..

2)The tougher the games, the more interest by the viewers which, when it comes down to it, is the ultimate goal of the NFL.

I think that the men in charge are very happy with their favorite team and the results they've given and the ratings they've provided.

All JMO, though.

I would prefer a balanced schedule but it is what it is. The giants won and they have the most challenging schedule, on paper. As for the G-men being the favored team in the league, not sure I agree with that...probably a team with a star on their helmet.

wolfie
05-24-2012, 10:24 AM
Everyone is looking at the schedule and saying... we have to play this one or that one. Remember, they have to play the Giants. I'm sure they're all not too happy about that.

nygsb42champs
05-24-2012, 10:48 AM
I like what the leaders of this team are saying.

Morehead State
05-24-2012, 10:50 AM
I know that the schedule depends on how you finish the previous year...however...it seems odd to me that the Giants' schedule continues to be the toughest in the league by what appears to me to be a wide margin. I have concluded that the reason is two-fold... 1)The Giants can take it and still win a respectable amount of games, and.. 2)The tougher the games, the more interest by the viewers which, when it comes down to it, is the ultimate goal of the NFL. I think that the men in charge are very happy with their favorite team and the results they've given and the ratings they've provided. All JMO, though.</P>

Well last year was tough because all the second place teams were great. Even one was the SB champ. This season we have a first place schedule and are playing essentially the same teams. (GB, NO and SF)</P>

nygfanmaybe
05-24-2012, 01:18 PM
Well last year was tough because all the second place teams were great. Even one was the SB champ.* This season we have a first place schedule and are playing essentially the same teams. (GB, NO and SF)</P>

Either I am misinterpreting your post or you are under the impression that the Giants finished 2nd in the East. JIC...they won the division.

ShakeNBake
05-24-2012, 01:23 PM
Well last year was tough because all the second place teams were great. Even one was the SB champ. This season we have a first place schedule and are playing essentially the same teams. (GB, NO and SF)

</p>

Either I am misinterpreting your post or you are under the impression that the Giants finished 2nd in the East. JIC...they won the division.

Hes talking about last years schedule where we played 2nd place teams such as GB and NO because we finished 2nd the year before.

nygfanmaybe
05-24-2012, 01:25 PM
Well last year was tough because all the second place teams were great. Even one was the SB champ.* This season we have a first place schedule and are playing essentially the same teams. (GB, NO and SF)

</p>

Hes talking about last years schedule where we played 2nd place teams such as GB and NO because we finished 2nd the year before.

Ahhh...got it. Sorry MH...carry on.