PDA

View Full Version : Lurking on 49ers MB and saw some interesting threads...

DaDiesel
05-24-2012, 12:32 PM
A lot of posters don't think Jacobs will make the team. If he gets cut, do we pick him up on the cheap? I kind of miss his toughness....</P>

Roosevelt
05-24-2012, 12:35 PM
A lot of posters don't think Jacobs will make the team. If he gets cut, do we pick him up on the cheap? I kind of miss his toughness....</p>

I hope it doesn't happen for his sake.

GMENAGAIN
05-24-2012, 12:35 PM
You miss his toughness in OTA's?

DaDiesel
05-24-2012, 12:39 PM
You miss his toughness in OTA's?</P>

Yup, the youngsters need to learn how we do it around here....</P>

Flip Empty
05-24-2012, 12:40 PM
Yeah, there's a logjam at RB there. Either way, someone decent will have to get the chop.

JMFP2
05-24-2012, 12:57 PM
I think Jacobs will make the team, and will beproductive next season.</P>

The 49ers have a better run-blocking offensive line, and Jacobs style plays more into their system.</P>

</P>

TuckYou
05-24-2012, 12:59 PM
If Jacobs doesnt make the team, he would feel embarrassed as hell. And probably pay us to come back and then kick their asses week 6.

giantsfan420
05-24-2012, 01:13 PM
Even if he makes the team, hes going to be used so sparingly. Gore, and two recent high draft picks...they have that power bacl his name escapes me, the balanced back in gore, and the speedster in the rb they just drafted outta oregon...

Bj will still get some carries i guess, but not many at all

MikeIsaGiant
05-24-2012, 01:14 PM
Are they coaches? No, so they don't know jack **** about jacobs making the team.

Watch him make the team

Shockeystays08
05-24-2012, 01:24 PM
You miss his toughness in OTA's?

+1

galaxy10
05-24-2012, 01:30 PM
I wish Jacobs would have stayed. Recent history has proved that when these guys leave, they don't do as well. Not sure why that is, maybe the Giants FO is pretty good at evaluating worth. I do wish that he makes the team in SF.

giantsfan420
05-24-2012, 01:40 PM
I wish Jacobs would have stayed.* Recent history has proved that when these guys leave, they don't do as well.* Not sure why that is, maybe the Giants FO is pretty good at evaluating worth. I do wish that he makes the team in SF.

I still think jabos has something to offer. Hes never really been a 20plus carry a game player. He has always split the load. It was just two seasons ago his ypc was huge and he nearly rushed for a thou as the backup.

And as much as the tip toeing made me sick, it will prob extend his career.

With an ol like the one sf has, i ciuld see jacobs being a nightmare, its just they have a bunch of quality rbs that r younger and more dynamic than bj...

I think bj made the decjsion to goto sf based on the ol we have. He had been somewhat vocal on it being th fault of the ol that the run game was struggling so badly

BeatYale
05-24-2012, 01:50 PM
Did analysts ever call Jim Brown, Jerome Bettis, Mike Alstott, or Jamal Lewis "tip toe bandits"? Nope, and they had no reason to.

Jacobs toughness on the sidelines didn't follow him on the field apparently. He was more a product of our OLine's success than a good power RB.

He would have had more value when he hit the market. He ended up signing with a team that has a crowded back field and was given a 150k signing bonus on a 1.5m contract for 1 year. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets cut.

SweetZombieJesus
05-24-2012, 01:51 PM
No, I think we parted ways with him at the right time, maybe even a little too late.

JMFP2
05-24-2012, 05:46 PM
No, I think we parted ways with him at the right time, maybe even a little too late.

I wasn't happy to see Jacobs go......but I like the direction the Giants took in the draft.

slipknottin
05-24-2012, 06:51 PM
49ers fans also think Alex Smith is as good as Eli.

Delusional fanbase

bearbryant
05-24-2012, 07:34 PM
Guareentee ya' he comes out there like he did in NY: like an animal ready for battle. He makes that team

DaDiesel
05-25-2012, 12:55 AM
Jacobs was a great player for the Giants. Attitude through the nose. In the 07 NFC championship game, when he almost knocked Charles Woodson out. He set the tone for that game. In the 07 super bowl, on the td throw to Plax, he picks up the blitz and tosses Rodney Harrison like a rag doll! How many devastating chip blocks has he put on D ware, T Cole and most of the league's best pass rushers. Damarcus Ware has even commented on the Giants' toughness=who do you think he was talking about? Jacobs is always shoving Ware and letting him know that the Giants will not be intimidated. Hard to find guys like B Jacobs....

Rat_bastich
05-25-2012, 01:22 AM
I think the 49ers think they got the Jacobs of old who could smash through defenders, not the Jacobs of present. In camp he'll earn a spot easily because he, by all appearances, will be the North-South-Hard-Nose type runner they think they are getting. When it is game time and he tries to take one to the corner or tap dance through a little opening in the line, he may not make it past the trade deadline.

"Jacobs was a great player for the Giants. Attitude through the nose. In the 07 NFC championship game, when he almost knocked Charles Woodson out. He set the tone for that game. In the 07 super bowl, on the td throw to Plax, he picks up the blitz and tosses Rodney Harrison like a rag doll! How many devastating chip blocks has he put on D ware, T Cole and most of the league's best pass rushers. Damarcus Ware has even commented on the Giants' toughness=who do you think he was talking about? Jacobs is always shoving Ware and letting him know that the Giants will not be intimidated. Hard to find guys like B Jacobs.... "

That Jacobs has been gone for a bit. He appeared every once in awhile. It was more a fluke than a consistent Jacobs in these waning years.

JJC7301
05-26-2012, 01:32 AM
I don't see why he wouldn't make it -- it's just the beginning of OTA. But if he were cut, I would love to pick him up.

And how'd you get on the 49ers boards? It seemed like it was impossible to get on there during the post season.

Flip Empty
05-26-2012, 01:34 AM

Delusional fanbase
They actually say that? He's adequate for their needs. He got them within reach of a Super Bowl.

Rat_bastich
05-26-2012, 01:39 AM

Delusional fanbase
They actually say that? He's adequate for their needs. He got them within reach of a Super Bowl.

Think that was more Harbaugh coaching that got them there. Alex Smith didn't do anything prior to Harbaugh. I think if the 49ers were in a position to get one of the top two quarterbacks, Smith would have been out in no time.

FeaglesPuntsEaglesRunts
05-26-2012, 01:42 AM
Jacobs was an awesome player for the G-men. I for one will miss him like crazy. For a while I was very anti-Jacobs, but he really won me over with his enthusiasm this past year.

I hope he makes the team and does well in San Fran, he deserves it. As far as I'm concerned he's one of the great Giants players of all time and deserves our respect.

Cheers Jacobs!

Flip Empty
05-26-2012, 01:43 AM

Delusional fanbase

Think that was more Harbaugh coaching that got them there. Alex Smith didn't do anything prior to Harbaugh. I think if the 49ers were in a position to get one of the top two quarterbacks, Smith would have been out in no time.
They live and die by their defense. Smith wasn't asked to do much last season.

Yeah, it's crazy how long he's managed to keep hold of that job.

Sarcasman
05-26-2012, 01:45 AM
A lot of posters don't think Jacobs will make the team. If he gets cut, do we pick him up on the cheap? I kind of miss his toughness....</P>

Who exactly is gonna beat him out?

Firstly, most 49er fans know nothing about football. Secondly, there's probably no shortage of resentment to those posts over where he came from.

Morons.

Sarcasman
05-26-2012, 01:47 AM

Delusional fanbase

LOL +1

GmenFan1980
05-26-2012, 01:52 AM
Don't know what would surprise me more.

Jacobs not making the team

or

Manningham not being the #1 for their team considering his competition are Rookies, Scrubs, and an aging Randy Moss

Flip Empty
05-26-2012, 01:52 AM

Frank Gore and LaMichael James are locks, so he's competing with Anthony Dixon and Kendall Hunter - both of which have produced when given the chance.
If Jacobs does make the team, he could have a season like Brian Westbrook did - on the bench.

Sarcasman
05-26-2012, 01:59 AM

Frank Gore and LaMichael James are locks, so he's competing with Anthony Dixon and Kendall Hunter - both of which have produced when given the chance.
If Jacobs does make the team, he could have a season like Brian Westbrook did - on the bench.

Yes, they are. But James is a rookie and Gore plays better when he's spelled.

He'll make the team. He certainly may not get many touches but he's probably only there to spell Gore and change pace anyway.

Not getting alot of touches ain't the same as not making the team.

chizz
05-26-2012, 02:26 AM
no way in hell he doesnt make the team

Flip Empty
05-26-2012, 02:33 AM
It's entirely possible, that team is stacked.

Rat_bastich
05-26-2012, 03:14 AM
Don't know what would surprise me more.

Jacobs not making the team

or

Manningham not being the #1 for their team considering his competition are Rookies, Scrubs, and an aging Randy Moss

The bad thing is I can see Randy Moss beating Manningham out as the #1. I think even an aging Randy Moss is better than Manningham. He'll still be on the field as they need two receivers but you also have their Tight End, Davis, who has been a consistent target. Moss and Davis will get the most looks and balls.

Truthfully if you look at Crabtree's stats they haven't been all that bad:

SEASON TEAM GP REC YDS AVG LNG TD FD
2009 SF 11 48 625 13.0 50 2 27
2010 SF 16 55 741 13.5 60 6 40
2011 SF 15 72 874 12.1 52 4 40
Career 42 175 2,240 12.8 60 12 107

I do not believe Manningham will be the number one guy. I do believe Jacobs will be a good compliment to Gore if he can be the old Jacobs or some semblance of.

shotcalla39
05-26-2012, 03:48 AM
No way Jacobs gets cut... 9ers saw first hand how valuable he can be... He's not averaging 5 yards a run anymore..

But even wen he gets 2 yards .. those are the most effective 2 yards any rb in the league can get...and that's a big reason why we got 2 auperbowls... He wasn't knocking defenders out cold like in the 07 playoff run... But he was very effective.. He's a perfect fit for them

shotcalla39
05-26-2012, 03:55 AM
Did analysts ever call Jim Brown, Jerome Bettis, Mike Alstott, or Jamal Lewis "tip toe bandits"? Nope, and they had no reason to..

That's a crock of bs... From 05-08 Jacobs was the most feared runner in the NFL... With many Jim Brown comparisons..

He's a much bigger reason why we got 2 superbowls than most of us give him credit for

Captain Chaos
05-26-2012, 07:48 AM

They have seen enough in the two OTA's that they are able to make that call already, amazing they aren't working as pro scouts...

Flip Empty
05-26-2012, 08:02 AM

They have seen enough in the two OTA's that they are able to make that call already, amazing they aren't working as pro scouts...
No different to the calls you see being made here. Niners fans would know their team far better than Giants fans.

Toadofsteel
05-26-2012, 10:04 AM

No different to the calls you see being made here. Niners fans would know their team far better than Giants fans.

If he does happen to get cut, do you think JR would throw him a 1 year vet min bone? Or is the time for reconciliation already past?

Sarcasman
05-26-2012, 12:24 PM
It's entirely possible, that team is stacked.

Yeah, that's what sucking for a decade will do for you.

BeatYale
05-26-2012, 05:47 PM
Did analysts ever call Jim Brown, Jerome Bettis, Mike Alstott, or Jamal Lewis "tip toe bandits"? Nope, and they had no reason to..

That's a crock of bs... From 05-08 Jacobs was the most feared runner in the NFL... With many Jim Brown comparisons..

He's a much bigger reason why we got 2 superbowls than most of us give him credit for

Yeah his huge decline in production in the 2007 playoffs had a lot to do with why we won that year? He barely averaged 3 yards per carry during the playoffs. Bradshaw picked up his slack. Jacobs most significant play was the 4th down conversion against the Patriots, which was critical in our victory.

Why do you think Jacobs got very little attention in free agency? I don't think it's because he's lost significant speed in older age. Teams don't care for a guy that runs like Jane even if he looks like Tarzan. That's his problem. It became more obvious when the OLine played worse. He had trouble making his own yards.

What I said is a fact. Who questioned the toughness of those mentioned runners? Nobody mocked them with nick names like 'tip toe bandit'. It became obvious that Jacobs developed a bad habit of killing his forward momentum to avoid serious contact around the LOS. But hey, he's willing to lower his shoulder to take on smaller defenders! Even 200lb RB's don't mind contact in those situations.

His most productive seasons involved plenty of games where he had big plays going virtually untouched into the second and third levels of the defense. It's not like he was grinding those 5.0+ yards per carry throughout the season. Even Derrick Ward had great production with our OLine back then.