PDA

View Full Version : HENRY HYNOSKI IS READY FOR A BIGGER ROLE IN GIANTS' OFFENSE

RoanokeFan
05-24-2012, 02:49 PM
HENRY HYNOSKI IS READY FOR A BIGGER ROLE IN GIANTS' OFFENSE (http://insidefootball.com/blog/archives/4491)

"By many accounts, Giants fullback Henry Hynoski had an
impressive NFL debut which included becoming the only rookie on offense last
season to win and hold a starting job throughout the season, a job in which he
laid several key blocks in the running game and in which he caught 12 passes for
83 yards (6.9 average) in the regular season to boot.

But for as good as he was last year, Hynoski, now entering his sophomore year
as a Giant, knows he can get better, and that’s exactly what he’s been focusing
on this off-season as he prepares for what will hopefully be a larger role in
the offense. <span id="more-4491"></span></p>

“This off-season I really put an emphasis on building up my upper body,” he
said, adding that he also managed to reduce his overall body fat while
maintaining his weight of 266. “You can always work on speed, but the big thing
with me especially with my mid-season injury last year was developing my upper
body, and that’s what I did.”</p>

Indeed, without any sort of pads on during the Giants’ first OTA practice
this spring, Hynoski was among the Giants who clearly looked as though he had
reaped the benefits of his off-season training. The change in his body and
strength, combined with the confidence he has following his successful rookie
season had him turning in a solid showing in the opening practice.</p>

“I feel fast. I feel quick, I feel athletic, I feel like I have a good change
of direction just today running through the hole, making quick cuts on my read,
turning back in and ‘hitting’ linebackers,” he said. “I feel very quick and
athletic also, so I feel that my off-season program, since I got back here
really took off.”</p>

He’s also wiser when it comes to the playbook. Not one to make many mistakes
in executing his assignments, Hynoski was flying around the field looking as
though he drew up the plays himself. He correctly identified a linebacker trying
to fill a hole on a David Wilson run; he blocked a “blitzing” linebacker” on a
pass in 7-on-7 drills, and he managed to get out into the flat with little to no
effort, catching everything thrown his way.</p>

“I felt so confident,” he said about his knowledge of the Giants’ playbook.
“I was reviewing the script before practice, and everything just came like
second nature, and it’s so ingrained in my system now.</p>

“When I first went out there, I thought I would struggle a bit, just getting
back into the swing. But I feel like I picked up where I left off – maybe even a
bit ahead of things.”</p>

In addition to improving himself physically, Hynoski, an avid student of the
game, spent a lot of time this off-season studying film.</p>

“I was watching film (of myself) closely, and I noticed that a some of the
time, I would false-step out of my stance, which would cause me a delay of just
a split second,” he said. “That’s something I’m really emphasizing working on.
I’m in the two-point stance, so a lot of times, I would take a false step if I
need to go forward real quick.”</p>

Once he gets that corrected, he said, he’ll get to where he needs to be a lot
quicker.</p>

By the end of summer camp, Hynoski is hoping that his hard work leads to an
increased role in the Giants offense. While he will still be called upon to be
the battering ran in the running game, Hynoski, who was a prolific running back
at Southern Columbia High School, is hoping to get his hands on the ball a
little more this season.</p>

“I kind of see how things are developing (and) I think I’m going to touch the
ball a little more this year,” he said. “Obviously, I’ll have to be the hammer
like I was last year, and lead block.</p>

“I think eventually (the coaches) are going to look to expand my personnel
packages and use me in different ways, especially in the passing game.”</p>

If he can excel in an expanded role, the Giants will have something they
haven’t had in quite some time – a versatile fullback who, when he steps onto
the field, will have to be accounted for by opposing defenses in both the run
and pass games.</p>

“I just want to go in and be in the best possible shape I can be in,” he said
about his plan for the rest of the off-season. “I don’t want to have to take a
second wind and I don’t want to be tired. I want to go out there every play and
feel 100 percent.”</p>

If he can accomplish that, he could be pretty hard to stop this season ."</p>

Gimaniac
05-24-2012, 02:56 PM
I like Hynoski, but seriously, how good a FB is he if we were last in rushing?

RoanokeFan
05-24-2012, 02:56 PM

You're laying that on his doorstep?

Gimaniac
05-24-2012, 02:58 PM

Why not ? Hedge**** in his prime he is not (yet).

FroZeNx31x
05-24-2012, 03:00 PM
i see now why we brought in Martinek....expanded role for the FB this season. Now I'm 100% positive Brown is gone and Martinek makes the 53 .

RoanokeFan
05-24-2012, 03:03 PM

So you're saying the failure of the running game is Hynoski's fault?

RoanokeFan
05-24-2012, 03:06 PM
i see now why we brought in Martinek....expanded role for the FB this season. Now I'm 100% positive Brown is gone and Martinek makes the 53 .

You could be right, but what are you basing that on? We haven't had a contact practice yet.

Gimaniac
05-24-2012, 03:15 PM

Is it not his primary job to open holes ?

Didn't see many holes last year. OLine ? Tip-toe Jacobs ? One-foot Bradshaw ? Pick your poison.

RoanokeFan
05-24-2012, 03:17 PM

Didn't see many holes last year. OLine ? Tip-toe Jacobs ? One-foot Bradshaw ? Pick your poison.

I just find it hard to pin a team failure on one player, any player, but whatever floats your boat.

Gimaniac
05-24-2012, 03:28 PM

I just find it hard to pin a team failure on one player, any player, but whatever floats your boat.

Don't hear what I'm not saying. Not pinning failure on anyone.

Your article props him up like the second coming of Jesus. I just don't see handing out attaboys to anyone from last year's running attack or lack thereof. Do you ?

RoanokeFan
05-24-2012, 03:30 PM

Your article props him up like the second coming of Jesus. I just don't see handing out attaboys to anyone from last year's running attack or lack thereof. Do you ?

It's a news article, I'm just the messenger.

Gimaniac
05-24-2012, 03:33 PM

That's not an answer.

RoanokeFan
05-24-2012, 03:38 PM

That's not an answer.

If the question is was there anything good about the running game last season, the answer is yes. The make shift line, pummeled by injuries, and, at times, resembling a revolving door, set a franchise record for 5 consecutive sackless games.

bubblesmcgee
05-24-2012, 03:45 PM
Take it easy man. RF posts tons of articles and brings news to giants fans on these boards. Just bc he posted the article doesn't mean its his opinion. He didnt write it he just copy and pasted.

Also, the run game was bad last year because of a lot of things. Pinning it on a rookie fullback is foolish

scf424
05-24-2012, 03:53 PM
Yea the dude getting pissy is being ridiculous.

Not Hynoski's fault that Baas and the guards were routinely whiffing on blocks and letting LBs in like water through a broken dam.

He showed great promise making his blocks when the O-Line did their job, and was a great outlet for Eli in the flats.

Definitely excited for his progression.

Gimaniac
05-24-2012, 03:56 PM
If the question is was there anything good about the running game last season, the answer is yes.* The make shift line, pummeled by injuries, and, at times, resembling a revolving door, set a franchise record for 5 consecutive sackless games.*

I agree with your point about the protection. It was quite good, however, I would consider that part of the passing game, which was stellar.

The running game was another story. Non-existent would be putting it mildly. I'm not blaming Hynoski for that, but what did he actually prove last year ? That he can pass protect ? That's it ?

giantsfan420
05-24-2012, 04:02 PM

Actually, thats not his job at all. The ol is supposed to open and create holes, the fb is there ti make sure they stay opwn for the rb.
when the ol is struggling to create holes, the rb AND fb will have a much harder job. Ex. On a clean play with a hole, hyno prob will have one key, prob a lb that could clog the hole. Its much easier to identify where he needs to block.

On a broken play where the ol opwns no holes, the fb could have several keys , and a bunch more options on which defender to block, and theres no where to run and the rb gets cakled for no gain or a loss.

Now, there were instances where hyno had a clear responsibility, and eithermisread misread it, or didnt make an effective block on his key. But i saw alot to be happy with and optimistic. Hyno looks like a pretty good athlete for a fb, he has hammer ability lol, and can make some catches...i hope he gets an expanded role too bc itll mean kg is expanding the playbook and getting creative

giantsfan420
05-24-2012, 04:03 PM
Dp...also, the fb isnt asked to open holes, hes asked to seal them. Just wanted to add that in

RoanokeFan
05-24-2012, 04:04 PM
If the question is was there anything good about the running game last season, the answer is yes. The make shift line, pummeled by injuries, and, at times, resembling a revolving door, set a franchise record for 5 consecutive sackless games.

I agree with your point about the protection. It was quite good, however, I would consider that part of the passing game, which was stellar.

The running game was another story. Non-existent would be putting it mildly. I'm not blaming Hynoski for that, but what did he actually prove last year ? That he can pass protect ? That's it ?

My point is that any time the running game, passing game, etc. performs badly, it's the result of poor execution. Hynoski did a good enough job in the opinion of the coaching staff to start as a rookie and hold the job through the playoffs. You asked is his primary responsibility was to block and I would say that depends on what plays are called but, generally speaking, yes. So now we ask did the RB follow the blocks? We do know that answer is "not always." That was especially true of Jacobs.

BigBlue1971
05-24-2012, 04:24 PM
i think Hynoskis performance on several plays late in the season and the playoffs was a sign of things to come from him!</P>

he deserves a chance to show what he can do! </P>

Gimaniac
05-24-2012, 04:26 PM
If the question is was there anything good about the running game last season, the answer is yes.* The make shift line, pummeled by injuries, and, at times, resembling a revolving door, set a franchise record for 5 consecutive sackless games.*

My point is that any time the running game, passing game, etc. performs badly, it's the result of poor execution.* Hynoski did a good enough job in the opinion of the coaching staff to start as a rookie and hold the job through the playoffs.* You asked is his primary responsibility was to block and I would say that depends on what plays are called but, generally speaking, yes.* So now we ask did the RB follow the blocks?* We do know that answer is "not always."* That was especially true of Jacobs.

Interesting perspective, thanks for playing.

I was impressed with Hynoski's ability to catch balls out of the backfield and break tackles once he got his hands on the ball.

Not as impressed with his blocking on running plays. Perhaps I am spoiled watching Hedge**** play all those years. Of course, he was a rookie and will most likely improve. To what level is anyone's guess.

thomsoad
05-24-2012, 05:26 PM

My point is that any time the running game, passing game, etc. performs badly, it's the result of poor execution.* Hynoski did a good enough job in the opinion of the coaching staff to start as a rookie and hold the job through the playoffs.* You asked is his primary responsibility was to block and I would say that depends on what plays are called but, generally speaking, yes.* So now we ask did the RB follow the blocks?* We do know that answer is "not always."* That was especially true of Jacobs.

Interesting perspective, thanks for playing.

I was impressed with Hynoski's ability to catch balls out of the backfield and break tackles once he got his hands on the ball.

Not as impressed with his blocking on running plays. Perhaps I am spoiled watching Hedge**** play all those years. Of course, he was a rookie and will most likely improve. To what level is anyone's guess.

Somebody feel free to correct if I am wrong. But the YPC were dramatically improved when Hynoski came back from injury.

MikeIsaGiant
05-24-2012, 05:32 PM

That's not an answer.\

lol...

Manstache
05-24-2012, 05:50 PM

Didn't see many holes last year. OLine ? Tip-toe Jacobs ? One-foot Bradshaw ? Pick your poison.o line bruh.