PDA

View Full Version : If there was ever a time for...

RoanokeFan
05-24-2012, 07:35 PM
...Ramses Barden to grab the brass ring, the injury to Nicks is it. Will he step up? Will he fail?

fletch842
05-24-2012, 07:43 PM
...Ramses Barden to grab the brass ring, the injury to Nicks is it.* Will he step up?* Will he fail?

honestly, I have more hope for Jurnigan. Ramses just has not impressed me so far.

gmen0820
05-24-2012, 07:43 PM
No. Barden is not a guy who can take Nick's role as the X receiver who plays isolated on the open side of the formation. Nothing in his game translates as the X receiver.

Will he get more reps? Sure, but that will probably be at the Slot or Z receiver, because that is where he stands a chance.

By the way, yes, Barden can improve, but for him to make the jump to even be serviceable at Nicks' role is just as likely as Ware suddenly becoming a 1400+ yard rusher.

BlueBlooded1979
05-24-2012, 08:00 PM
No. Barden is not a guy who can take Nick's role as the X receiver who plays isolated on the open side of the formation. Nothing in his game translates as the X receiver.

Will he get more reps? Sure, but that will probably be at the Slot or Z receiver, because that is where he stands a chance.

By the way, yes, Barden can improve, but for him to make the jump to even be serviceable at Nicks' role is just as likely as Ware suddenly becoming a 1400+ yard rusher.

There is nothing about Bardens game the translates to the slot. He lacks quickness, explosiveness or precise route running. He is a big bodied long strider with some speed and physicality. He is should be a matchup problem for smaller CBs and win most jump balls. That is is X or the Y.

giantsfan420
05-24-2012, 08:06 PM
Ive always believed ramses had the talent. It has just never shown up on the field.
i know gmen and others dont feel strong about his game, i still believe he has the size, ability, and drive to contribute.

I never thought his route running was the issue, it was getting free from press coverage. If he can conquer that, i dont see why he couldnt be a legimate wr

Neverend
05-24-2012, 08:11 PM
Ive always believed ramses had the talent. It has just never shown up on the field.
i know gmen and others dont feel strong about his game, i still believe he has the size, ability, and drive to contribute.

I never thought his route running was the issue, it was getting free from press coverage. If he can conquer that, i dont see why he couldnt be a legimate wr

same, i also feel getting off the line is a problem. im not optimistic its something he may eventually conquer tho, i dont think you can teach lateral quickness/explosion.. its a gift that you naturally have which mario and cruz has. i think barden is limited athletically in that area

maybe he can improve his upper body strength since he still looks pretty lanky, maybe that'll help him off the line but maybe some athletes are just lanky genetically. look at kevin durant... hasnt changed a bit

i see this as an exciting oppurtunity for jerell jernigan more than i do barden

bigjeep
05-24-2012, 08:16 PM
...Ramses Barden to grab the brass ring, the injury to Nicks is it.* Will he step up?* Will he fail?

My guess is he grabs the defender and pushes off!

buddy33
05-24-2012, 08:25 PM
I've been patient about Barden but I think we are going to see more from JJ and RR.

I'd love to see Barden prove me wrong though.

gmen0820
05-24-2012, 08:28 PM

There is nothing about Bardens game the translates to the slot. He lacks quickness, explosiveness or precise route running. He is a big bodied long strider with some speed and physicality. He is should be a matchup problem for smaller CBs and win most jump balls. That is is X or the Y.Uh, no. First off, you start by saying, "He lacks quickness, explosiveness or precise route running." -- Basically, right there you are conceding that he shouldn't even be playing WR in the NFL.

X receivers are right on the line, get pressed, and normally face the biggest/most physical corners on the opposing team. X receivers have to be your best all around WR, with an excellent skill set. They must be able to go deep, intermediate, and short, and excel in every aspect. They must get open too, Barden can't/hasn't shown the ability to do either.

A Y receiver is normally your TE, but some use that term to describe a slot receiver. The small CBs will be playing in the slot, I think you have it mixed up.

You need to get the Victor Cruz/Wes Welker slot model out of your head to see how Barden translates to the slot.

gmen0820
05-24-2012, 08:29 PM
When Nicks missed the Patriots game last year, Mario was our starting X receiver. Barden played the Z for the most part in 3 wide sets for that game.

Drez
05-24-2012, 08:55 PM
When Nicks missed the Patriots game last year, Mario was our starting X receiver. Barden played the Z for the most part in 3 wide sets for that game.
I was just about to post that.

egyptian420
05-24-2012, 09:10 PM
For once an article on NFL.com actually makes sense...I couldn't agree more with every point they make about this story

Link (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d829529d8/article/giants-can-survive-hakeem-nicks-injury)

giantsfan420
05-24-2012, 09:36 PM
For once an article on NFL.com actually makes sense...I couldn't agree more with every point they make about this story

Link (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d829529d8/article/giants-can-survive-hakeem-nicks-injury)

I do too. Randle could play the x y or z, same with cruz. Between jj, hixon, and barden we can figure out the rest.

scf424
05-24-2012, 09:47 PM
Or...ya know...we can actually try and run the ball.

Rat_bastich
05-24-2012, 10:10 PM
This is the time for Randle and Jernigan to step it up. Both of them have the ability to get on the field for some adequate time as well as undrafted and some of our old heads. This could work out just as Cruz did last year for us. The opportunity is now there for others to get some looks.

If Barden doesn't take advantage of this I say we send him home with a fruit basket.

Captain Chaos
05-24-2012, 10:21 PM

Well Roanoke, I'm going to have to agree. Read what some of these other gentlemen have said and the proof will be on the field. I personally don't think he was fully healed last year.

RoanokeFan
05-24-2012, 10:33 PM
...Ramses Barden to grab the brass ring, the injury to Nicks is it. Will he step up? Will he fail?

Well Roanoke, I'm going to have to agree. Read what some of these other gentlemen have said and the proof will be on the field. I personally don't think he was fully healed last year.

He's had a hard time, in part, because of Nicks, Manningham, Smith, and Cruz. I don't think he's taken advantage of his opportunities but he is now in a position to get a lot of first team reps but he has to step it up as there are a number of receivers looking to bury him on the depth chart.

nihan87
05-25-2012, 09:57 AM
honestly, I have more hope for Jurnigan. Ramses just has not impressed me so far.</P>

</P>

I've been thinking this in the back of my mind. Getting Jernigan more reps with Eli would help his cause and maybe see some flashes of this kid developing. </P>

G-Man67
05-25-2012, 10:15 AM
Nicks is a pretty fast healer, so let's not go crazy here ... do i expect him to contribute much in September? ...well not really, but come October ... Nicks will be back in form as one of the best in the league

river555
05-26-2012, 12:35 AM
Unless he has a great camp and plays exceptionaly well during preseason i dont think barden makes the team. he has one year left and then hes gone anyway. so unless he really looks like he can contribute this year, we'll just cut our loss and focus on developing a younger WR who will be around 3-4 years.