PDA

View Full Version : VICTOR CRUZ IS NOW THE NUMBER ONE RECEIVER

RoanokeFan
05-26-2012, 12:23 PM
VICTOR CRUZ IS NOW THE NUMBER ONE RECEIVER (http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/victor_cruz_is_now_the_number_one_receiver/10878353)

"Victor Cruz (http://www.rantsports.com/search/?cx=partner-pub-1362184578149106%3A0810558991&amp;cof=FORID%3A10&amp;ie=UT F-8&amp;q=victor+cruz&amp;sa=Search&amp;siteurl=www.rantsports.c om%2Fnew-york-giants%2F&amp;ref=www.rantsports.com%2Fnfl%2Fteams%2F) may now be the<a href="http://www.rantsports.com/new-york-giants/">
New York Giants </a>number one receiver. I donít think the Giants thought that
would happen this fast, however with the injury to Hakeem Nicks (http://www.rantsports.com/search/?cx=partner-pub-1362184578149106%3A0810558991&amp;cof=FORID%3A10&amp;ie=UT F-8&amp;q=hakeem+nicks&amp;sa=Search&amp;siteurl=www.rantsports. com%2Fnew-york-giants%2F&amp;ref=www.rantsports.com%2Fnfl%2Fteams%2F) , the process has begun. Now the
pressure is on Cruz to prove he isnít a one year wonder.

I donít believe that Cruz will be a one
year wonder, flash in the plan kind of player. I do believe however, that he
will need to make adjustments on his game going forward. With Nicks status for
the start of the year in doubt, Cruz becomes the number one target. Defenses are
going to start rolling coverages his way more often then they had been doing.
Heís gonna see the corner get help from the <a id="itxthook0" class="itxtrst itxtrsta itxthook" rel="nofollow"><span id="itxthook0w0" class="itxtrst itxtrstspan itxthookspan">safety</span></a> to
double team him. Nicks will be back, maybe even sooner than previously thought,
as some reports have him back as early as 4-6 weeks. You have to believe though,
that a broken bone in the foot will hamper him, maybe throughout the season.
Nicks does get injured quite a bit and you have to hope that his injuries donít
become a trend that continues.
</p>

In order for Cruzís production to not
suffer, other players need to step up. The running game needs to be better than
it was last year. Whether it was the offensive line or the running backs not
reading the blocks correctly, the running game didnít take off until late in the
season when the team took off. Other receivers like rookie Rueben Randle (http://www.rantsports.com/search/?cx=partner-pub-1362184578149106%3A0810558991&amp;cof=FORID%3A10&amp;ie=UT F-8&amp;q=reuben+randle&amp;sa=Search&amp;siteurl=www.rantsports .com%2Fnew-york-giants%2F&amp;ref=www.rantsports.com%2Fnfl%2Fteams%2F) and Jerrel Jernigan (http://www.rantsports.com/search/?cx=partner-pub-1362184578149106%3A0810558991&amp;cof=FORID%3A10&amp;ie=UT F-8&amp;q=jerrel+jernigan&amp;sa=Search&amp;siteurl=www.rantspor ts.com%2Fnew-york-giants%2F&amp;ref=www.rantsports.com%2Fnfl%2Fteams%2F) will need to produce as
well.
</p>

Even if the injury to Nicks is only for a
month it still might be something that could hamper him as the season goes on.
Anytime and injury happens to your foot especially as a receiver, it could stay
with you a little bit as the season goes, especially with the injury history
Nicks already has. Cruz is now number one. The question is what will happen
going forward."</p>

scf424
05-26-2012, 12:38 PM
I know we all believe in Eli, but the analysts need to realize his play is going to be a huge factor in the development of these WRs.

Maybe only Brady, Peyton, and Brees are better at developing young unproven WRs and giving them opportunities to make big plays and contribute. Eli makes the talent around him better.

gmen0820
05-26-2012, 12:43 PM
I would rest Nicks until there is absolutely no lingering effects. Individual players would be forced to step their game up, and Nicks would be fully healthy in time for a playoff run.

I just don't want him rushing back from this injury, but luckily the Giants aren't ones to rush players back from injury.

RoanokeFan
05-26-2012, 01:15 PM
I would rest Nicks until there is absolutely no lingering effects. Individual players would be forced to step their game up, and Nicks would be fully healthy in time for a playoff run.

I just don't want him rushing back from this injury, but luckily the Giants aren't ones to rush players back from injury.

I think we have receivers who can do just that. A lot of fans don't seem like Hixon but, healthy, he can be a positive force while Nicks recovers. Jernigan has a year under his belt and Randle is said to be NFL ready. We added Bennet at TE who could be the surprise of the season.

Perhaps more importantly, we have the makings of a better running game this season. Only time will tell, but having a RB as the first round pick may prove to be a brilliant move by Reese &amp; Co.

NYGRealityCheck
05-26-2012, 01:44 PM
It is Victor Cruz's destiny.

Toadofsteel
05-26-2012, 02:01 PM
A bigger question is this: If Nicks can't play any number of games, will Cruz go to the outside or stay in the slot? Cruz, Jernigan/Randle, and Hixon in the slot could work theoretically...

RoanokeFan
05-26-2012, 02:03 PM
A bigger question is this: If Nicks can't play any number of games, will Cruz go to the outside or stay in the slot? Cruz, Jernigan/Randle, and Hixon in the slot could work theoretically...

Fortunately, Cruz plays equally well at either position. What we need is at least one receiver to take advantage of Cruz's double coverage.

Toadofsteel
05-26-2012, 02:11 PM

Fortunately, Cruz plays equally well at either position.* What we need is at least one receiver to take advantage of Cruz's double coverage.

That would depend on how well Jernigan and/or Randle do. If one of those two could draw double coverage as well, Eli can start having his field day.

Another possibility, if both Jernigan and Randle pan out, is having the two of them line up outside with Cruz in the slot. Combine that with Bennett, and you have a combination where you don't know who to cover.

And all this is based on being without Nicks. With him healthy, and Eli having a performance like in the NFCCG, our passing attack will be unstoppable. I'm not worried about WRs at all...

hungrrrry
05-26-2012, 02:34 PM
I think people are making something out of nothing...let's just say Nicks is an average healer...he will have plenty of time to heal fully and if he has ANY residual soreness it is due to surgery and not the actual bone fracture. That is something that he can work through.

RoanokeFan
05-26-2012, 03:00 PM
I think people are making something out of nothing...let's just say Nicks is an average healer...he will have plenty of time to heal fully and if he has ANY residual soreness it is due to surgery and not the actual bone fracture. That is something that he can work through.

We all hope that's the case. But Nicks is going to miss every OTA and training camp as well. During that time, we have to find out who is going to step up and where if called upon. That's just good personnel management.

SweetZombieJesus
05-26-2012, 03:01 PM
Most of Cruz's highlight reel plays were already in double coverage, what are they going to do, triple him?

RoanokeFan
05-26-2012, 03:03 PM
Most of Cruz's highlight reel plays were already in double coverage, what are they going to do, triple him?

If I'm not mistaken, Dallas did that last season for a bit and it wasn't all that successful.

scf424
05-26-2012, 03:09 PM
Let's be fair, Terrence Newman didn't really count as "coverage" last season.

chasjay
05-26-2012, 03:13 PM
A lot of fans don't seem like Hixon but, healthy, he can be a positive force while Nicks recovers.

I agree that Hixon has suffered from the "snake-bit" syndrome over the years. The injuries, that TD drop against Philly a couple years ago. I'd love to see him dodge the injuries and assume a solid role with the team. I think he has the talent and the 'want-to'.

RoanokeFan
05-26-2012, 03:21 PM
A lot of fans don't seem like Hixon but, healthy, he can be a positive force while Nicks recovers.

I agree that Hixon has suffered from the "snake-bit" syndrome over the years. The injuries, that TD drop against Philly a couple years ago. I'd love to see him dodge the injuries and assume a solid role with the team. I think he has the talent and the 'want-to'.

The competition is wide open

giantsfan420
05-26-2012, 03:31 PM
Cruz can be the x wr if nicks misses any time. Randle can also play on the outside, and jj can move inside.

Cruz could also move inside if hixon and randle can man the perimeter.

This injury sux, but its going to improve the caliber of play throughout the entire wr core. With eli at qb im not worried.

And dont sleep on talley. Hes my dark horse...he has a lot of the attributes that helped cruz be so successful from the slot

gmen0820
05-26-2012, 04:26 PM

I think we have receivers who can do just that.* A lot of fans don't seem like Hixon but, healthy, he can be a positive force while Nicks recovers.* Jernigan has a year under his belt and Randle is said to be NFL ready.* We added Bennet at TE who could be the surprise of the season.

Perhaps more importantly, we have the makings of a better running game this season.* Only time will tell, but having a RB as the first round pick may prove to be a brilliant move by Reese & Co.
Could be a great pick. I really don't think the Giants intended to be such a poor rushing team last year, for strategic reasons that is.

The main issue last year was getting behind and having to play in our 11 personnel package, where we barely could afford to run. Needless to say, I do think we were in a **** situation when it came to RBs. Jacobs is not a starter in this league anymore, and Bradshaw (our BEST back) was gimpy all year.

With an improved defense, a first round RB, and a more cohesive/healthy OL unit, I think our running game will improve, substantially.

Toadofsteel
05-26-2012, 07:26 PM
* A lot of fans don't seem like Hixon but, healthy, he can be a positive force while Nicks recovers.*

When you say "healthy Dominek Hixon", I see this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmzLcsbmMD4

Talk about someone fighting for it... Sure he might have initially dropped it but he stayed with it, just like Cruz and Nicks would do if that happened to them...

Oh and OP: Hixon is a slot receiver. He actually started the 2011 season ahead of Cruz on the depth chart before he got injured. If he plays, Cruz will be outside with either Randle or Jernigan. Otherwise Cruz will play the slot with Randle AND Jernigan outside.

RoanokeFan
05-26-2012, 08:27 PM

Talk about someone fighting for it... Sure he might have initially dropped it but he stayed with it, just like Cruz and Nicks would do if that happened to them...

Oh and OP: Hixon is a slot receiver. He actually started the 2011 season ahead of Cruz on the depth chart before he got injured. If he plays, Cruz will be outside with either Randle or Jernigan. Otherwise Cruz will play the slot with Randle AND Jernigan outside.

I'm sold on Hixon, always have been. He is under appreciated and mostly remembered for THAT DROP in the Eagles' game. Oddly enough, that season, Hixon was in the top five for fewest drops in the season.

Nicks being injured is extra incentive for the competitors at WR. Before theyw ere fighting for # 3 and 4 and now it's # 2, 3 and 4. It will decide who dresses for games for one of them.

GIANTSACK
05-27-2012, 12:23 AM
Who ever doubt cruz ability to play WR position is crazy. He beat double coverage single coverage all year long. He cant be cover .. We just.need to worry about the people after him

Toadofsteel
05-27-2012, 12:35 AM
Who ever doubt cruz ability to play WR position is crazy. He beat double coverage single coverage all year long. He cant be cover .. We just.need to worry about the people after him

I would have loved to see him against Revis in the Jets game (the latter covered Nicks for most of the game, and even then Nicks had a few clutch catches)... that said, a 99 yard TD is also awesome.

miked1958
05-27-2012, 01:19 AM
The opponents will double Cruz to take him out of the game and make the giants other guys beat em.

miked1958
05-27-2012, 01:22 AM
This means that someone or a few of the others will have to step up and make big plays in their one on one coverage which they will see a lot of.

JJ, RR, Hixon, Barden, all the TEs and Wilson, Scott, AB out of backfield will have to prove they can get it done to till nicks gets healthy enough to retake his spot

Drez
05-27-2012, 01:29 AM

Hixon traditionally played outside, not in the slot, though that may have changed earlier this past season. If Hixon, Randle, and Cruz are on the field at the same time, Hixon and Randle will likely be on the outside with Cruz in the slot.