PDA

View Full Version : Our WR status.....

GGTM_1977
05-27-2012, 08:59 AM
Is the sky falling? NO, but here are some things to consider with our WR depth chart:

Nicks - AWESOME player, but like one poster phrased it "he is made of tissue paper"

Cruz - can't wait for the second act to see how he follows up last years perfromance

RR - Rookie

JJ - Second year player, not much playing time last year, was kinda scary on KR, ok on PR

Barden - Drafted same year as Nicks, and what does he have to show for 4 years, 15rec, 174yds, NO TDs

Hixon - love him....but 2 ACL injuries in 2 years!?

My sincere hope is that Nicks injury is not serious and long lasting, that he heals quickly and fully. I also have theory that if Ballard can return, MAYBE one of our TEs can be used more as a WR, perhaps Bennett or Robinson?

Flip Empty
05-27-2012, 09:06 AM
How is Nicks made of tissue paper? He hasn't missed too many games.

GGTM_1977
05-27-2012, 09:13 AM
How is Nicks made of tissue paper? He hasn't missed too many games.

True he hasn't......but I don't think he has technically played a full season yet.....

OsiStrahan#1combo
05-27-2012, 09:22 AM
Is the sky falling? NO, but here are some things to consider with our WR depth chart:

Nicks - AWESOME player, but like one poster phrased it "he is made of tissue paper"

Cruz - can't wait for the second act to see how he follows up last years perfromance

RR - Rookie

JJ - Second year player, not much playing time last year, was kinda scary on KR, ok on PR

Barden - Drafted same year as Nicks, and what does he have to show for 4 years, 15rec, 174yds, NO TDs

My sincere hope is that Nicks injury is not serious and long lasting, that he heals quickly and fully. I also have theory that if Ballard can return, MAYBE one of our TEs can be used more as a WR, perhaps Bennett or Robinson?

JJ was terrible on punts too. I think he fumbled 3 times that one game. Not sure when it was. Just get him off of special teams and lets use him at WR. See what he can do.

nycsportzfan
05-27-2012, 10:16 AM
Is the sky falling? NO, but here are some things to consider with our WR depth chart: Nicks - AWESOME player, but like one poster phrased it "he is made of tissue paper" Cruz - can't wait for the second act to see how he follows up last years perfromance RR - Rookie JJ - Second year player, not much playing time last year, was kinda scary on KR, ok on PR Barden - Drafted same year as Nicks, and what does he have to show for 4 years, 15rec, 174yds, NO TDs Hixon - love him....but 2 ACL injuries in 2 years!? My sincere hope is that Nicks injury is not serious and long lasting, that he heals quickly and fully. I also have theory that if Ballard can return, MAYBE one of our TEs can be used more as a WR, perhaps Bennett or Robinson? I think someone will make a impact outta JJ, Barden, Hixon, Randle, or possibly UDF Talley... I am putting my money on Jerrnigan, but we shall see.... Jerrnigan came from a smaller confrence, and that could of been a reason the NFL kinda caught em off guard, as far as how he looked anyways, becasue the jump in COMP is probably something that takes a bit to get used to.. Jerrnigan is very slippery and fast , and can lineup all over the field, which is something i think we'll take advantage of..

SweetZombieJesus
05-27-2012, 10:23 AM

He's missed 6 games out of 52 (2 in 2009, 3 in 2010, 1 in 2011). Tissue paper, really?

FBomb
05-27-2012, 10:40 AM
I guess Reese's history of getting players who can step up is lost on the OP......and Nicks being made of 'tissue paper' is asinine.

BigBlue1971
05-27-2012, 11:01 AM
Is the sky falling? NO, but here are some things to consider with our WR depth chart: Nicks - AWESOME player, but like one poster phrased it "he is made of tissue paper" Cruz - can't wait for the second act to see how he follows up last years perfromance RR - Rookie JJ - Second year player, not much playing time last year, was kinda scary on KR, ok on PR Barden - Drafted same year as Nicks, and what does he have to show for 4 years, 15rec, 174yds, NO TDs Hixon - love him....but 2 ACL injuries in 2 years!? My sincere hope is that Nicks injury is not serious and long lasting, that he heals quickly and fully. I also have theory that if Ballard can return, MAYBE one of our TEs can be used more as a WR, perhaps Bennett or Robinson?</P>

</P>

imo Nicks injury issues are comparable withmost wideouts in the league. hes missed something like6 or7games in his career! thats not bad.</P>

we also prolly caught a break with this recent foot injurycuz it happened in otas so he may be ready for the season.</P>

Cruz should continue to excel from the slot! he can make unbelieveable plays from there!</P>

i think we will get good production from RR and JJ with Barden again bringing up the rear. Barden may not make the final roster!</P>

Robinson may end up being a nightmare for lbs and safties. i take the comparison to the offensive "JPP" serious!</P>

all in all i think the offenserates in the top 5 of the league much to the success of our receiving core!</P>

dave56dj
05-27-2012, 11:17 AM
The problem with hakeem
Nicks is every time he catches the ball he allows a defender, who is usually paid handsomely, to hit him. I've never understood why he doesnt just hit the ab button and spin /kick flip over defenders or put on a magical cloak of invisibility or just reason with would be giant men who are paid to hit him- he has had the chutzpah to miss 6 games out of 52 / he managed
To catch a mere 28 balls and 4tds in the playoff run- a feat I have managed in two games alone on madden 2010-all
This reminds me that hakeem is made of tissue paper - soft as they come- excuse me I have to step outside to bash my head in.

RoanokeFan
05-27-2012, 11:17 AM

RR - Rookie

Tissue paper?

He played in 15 games last year, 13 games in 2010, and 14 games in 2009 which was the year he was drafted.

RoanokeFan
05-27-2012, 11:18 AM
The problem with hakeem
Nicks is every time he catches the ball he allows a defender, who is usually paid handsomely, to hit him. I've never understood why he doesnt just hit the ab button and spin /kick flip over defenders or put on a magical cloak of invisibility or just reason with would be giant men who are paid to hit him- he has had the chutzpah to miss 6 games out of 52 / he managed
To catch a mere 28 balls and 4tds in the playoff run- a feat I have managed in two games alone on madden 2010-all
This reminds me that hakeem is made of tissue paper - soft as they come- excuse me I have to step outside to bash my head in.

Madden = Real Life?

titwio
05-27-2012, 12:08 PM
JJ was terrible on punts too.* I think he fumbled 3 times that one game.* Not sure when it was.* Just get him off of special teams and lets use him at WR.* See what he can do.

That was all the way back in preseason when rookies came in with no OTA's or mini-camp. I admit he looked shaky but considering the circumstances...people need to give him a break coming from the Sun Belt Conference to the NFL in the midst of a strike shortened off season.

Lets see what he does this year when he's had an off season and is more comfortable.

Shockeystays08
05-27-2012, 01:13 PM
Is the sky falling? NO, but here are some things to consider with our WR depth chart: Nicks - AWESOME player, but like one poster phrased it "he is made of tissue paper" Cruz - can't wait for the second act to see how he follows up last years perfromance RR - Rookie JJ - Second year player, not much playing time last year, was kinda scary on KR, ok on PR Barden - Drafted same year as Nicks, and what does he have to show for 4 years, 15rec, 174yds, NO TDs Hixon - love him....but 2 ACL injuries in 2 years!? My sincere hope is that Nicks injury is not serious and
long lasting, that he heals quickly and fully. I also have theory
that if Ballard can return, MAYBE one of our TEs can be used
more as a WR, perhaps Bennett or Robinson? I think
someone will make a impact outta JJ, Barden, Hixon, Randle, or
possibly UDF Talley...* I am putting my money on Jerrnigan, but
we shall see....** Jerrnigan came from a smaller confrence, and
that could of been a reason the NFL kinda caught em off guard,
as far as how he looked anyways, becasue the jump in COMP is
probably something that takes a bit to get used to.. Jerrnigan is
very slippery and fast , and can lineup all over the field, which is
something i think we'll take advantage of..

I agree Jernigan has the best shot at busting out. There was a quote from OTA's saying he made some nice catches and looked a lot more comfortable than last year. With Nicks out we will now get to see if Randle can make some noise.

G-ManSB42
05-27-2012, 03:19 PM
Is the sky falling? NO, but here are some things to consider with our WR depth chart: Nicks - AWESOME player, but like one poster phrased it "he is made of tissue paper" Cruz - can't wait for the second act to see how he follows up last years perfromance RR - Rookie JJ - Second year player, not much playing time last year, was kinda scary on KR, ok on PR Barden - Drafted same year as Nicks, and what does he have to show for 4 years, 15rec, 174yds, NO TDs Hixon - love him....but 2 ACL injuries in 2 years!? My sincere hope is that Nicks injury is not serious and long lasting, that he heals quickly and fully. I also have theory that if Ballard can return, MAYBE one of our TEs can be used more as a WR, perhaps Bennett or Robinson?</P>

AJ Green - Rookie</P>

We got to go with the troops we have. No one knows what is what in May. We could bring in any FA and it could not pan out I think we just gotta hope someone step up just like last year. Cruz did just have over 1500+ receiving and it was basically his rookie year. Don't fret we got a lot of ? with other positions too should be interesting.</P>

buddy33
05-27-2012, 10:21 PM
Nicks has also gotten back on the field sooner than expected with his injuries. I don't know if he will be full speed by game #1, but I think he will be fine by week 4. At least I hope.

Anyway, I'm hoping that they can get the running game fixed because teams are going to be playing the Giants like they are a pass 1st team. The running game would be perfect to fool teams and help out Eli without having Nicks at 100% to start the season.

THE_New_York_Giants
05-28-2012, 01:50 AM
The problem with hakeem

Madden = Real Life?*

lmao that is hilarious.

Toadofsteel
05-28-2012, 02:55 AM
The problem with hakeem

Madden = Real Life?*

lmao that is hilarious.

<font color="red">I won a game in madden where I kept calling end-arounds to nicks... he had something like 30 carries and 3 TDs in one game. Maybe we should use him as a RB?</font>

Captain Chaos
05-28-2012, 06:30 AM
It's hard to take you seriously when you say Nicks is made of TP...

Nicks - Has a Pro Bowl year with 1300-1500 yds

Cruz will have a sophmore slump, just my opinion. Nothing horrible but not like last year.

Jernigan will lose his special teams value with Hixon, Hosley and Ruben picking up the slack.

Barden is finally healthy and becomes a threat.

Hixon makes it through a season without injury but little production at WR

Ruben Randal - proves to be the value that we thought he was and has a nice rooky year...

Toadofsteel
05-28-2012, 11:14 AM

Cruz will have a sophmore slump, just my opinion. Nothing horrible but not like last year.

Jernigan will lose his special teams value with Hixon, Hosley and Ruben picking up the slack.

Ruben Randal - proves to be the value that we thought he was and has a nice rooky year...

Agree on Nicks and Cruz. Nicks will be the beast he's always been and while Cruz will still have a good year, teams will be preparing a lot more for him. I also agree on Hixon and Randle. Hixon will be back in ST again, sharing return duties with Wilson.

Where I disagree is on Jernigan and Barden. Jernigan will have a breakout year. Nothing like Cruz in 2011, but still a breakout. He hasn't had much of a chance yet, it's only his second year, and his rookie year was behind Nicks/Cruz/Manningham in a lockout-shortened season. 3rd WR behind Nicks and Cruz most likely to come down to Jernigan and Randle, and if Nicks goes down for the count, these two guys will split wide. Barden, on the other hand, doesn't make the team. He's had multiple seasons worth of chance to contribute and done nothing with the chances he's had.

giantsfan420
05-28-2012, 01:20 PM

Agree on Nicks and Cruz. Nicks will be the beast he's always been and while Cruz will still have a good year, teams will be preparing a lot more for him. I also agree on Hixon and Randle. Hixon will be back in ST again, sharing return duties with Wilson.

Where I disagree is on Jernigan and Barden. Jernigan will have a breakout year. Nothing like Cruz in 2011, but still a breakout. He hasn't had much of a chance yet, it's only his second year, and his rookie year was behind Nicks/Cruz/Manningham in a lockout-shortened season. 3rd WR behind Nicks and Cruz most likely to come down to Jernigan and Randle, and if Nicks goes down for the count, these two guys will split wide. Barden, on the other hand, doesn't make the team. He's had multiple seasons worth of chance to contribute and done nothing with the chances he's had.

If barden gets cut he must truly suck bc we may need guys that can play on the perimeter. Nicks n cruz can but cruz played and will play alot from the slot. Randle should be able to, i dunno if hixon can i think he will be best used in the slot. Im hopeful jj can but he strikes me as a slot guy too.

Part of the reason i was avid in calling to draft randle is bc i saw him being the closest nfl ready prospect outside of blackmon and floyd and with mm leaving we needed another pwrimeter guy.

So outside of nicks, we may not have a true perimeter wr. Randle and cruz are most likely, but still, its not proven.

Barden should be able to be able to play out wide, and he has the best shot he will ever get with nicks missing time. Its time barden, who lets be fair bc of injuries and other factors he never has had much opportunity to work and practice with eli during the offseason...now is the time. If he can earn elis trust and confidence now, hell be a factor later...

BeatYale
05-28-2012, 01:34 PM
How is Nicks labeled as 'tissue paper' for playing in 46 out of 52 games? Barden has had back issues and a broken ankle - thus missing half a season and then landing on the pup list for the following season. That's 16 games missed right there. What? No comments about Barden's durability?

This topic sucks.

Toadofsteel
05-28-2012, 01:38 PM
If barden gets cut he must truly suck bc we may need guys that can play on the perimeter. Nicks n cruz can but cruz played and will play alot from the slot. Randle should be able to, i dunno if hixon can i think he will be best used in the slot. Im hopeful jj can but he strikes me as a slot guy too.

Part of the reason i was avid in calling to draft randle is bc i saw him being the closest nfl ready prospect outside of blackmon and floyd and with mm leaving we needed another pwrimeter guy.

So outside of nicks, we may not have a true perimeter wr. Randle and cruz are most likely, but still, its not proven.

Barden should be able to be able to play out wide, and he has the best shot he will ever get with nicks missing time. Its time barden, who lets be fair bc of injuries and other factors he never has had much opportunity to work and practice with eli during the offseason...now is the time. If he can earn elis trust and confidence now, hell be a factor later...

Back to your first sentence, that's the thing. Compared to an NFL level, Barden really does suck. Height might work in college, but it doesn't automatically translate to talent. We would have seen something like him starting opposite Manningham for any of those games that Nicks did miss the past couple years... He's had three years to learn the system, and has failed to produce anything. He's a bust, pure and simple.

Also, I see Jernigan as more of a Cruz clone, and he might see some outside snaps should he work his way up or if there are injuries. It'll be him vs Randle fighting for the Z spot.

myles2424
05-28-2012, 01:51 PM

Ruben Randal - proves to be the value that we thought he was and has a nice rooky year... lol @ "Barden beomes a threat"

giantsfan420
05-28-2012, 01:54 PM

Back to your first sentence, that's the thing. Compared to an NFL level, Barden really does suck. Height might work in college, but it doesn't automatically translate to talent. We would have seen something like him starting opposite Manningham for any of those games that Nicks did miss the past couple years... He's had three years to learn the system, and has failed to produce anything. He's a bust, pure and simple.

Also, I see Jernigan as more of a Cruz clone, and he might see some outside snaps should he work his way up or if there are injuries. It'll be him vs Randle fighting for the Z spot.

Cant disagree but i will add the caveat that barden has been injured and at the worst times for developing a relationship with eli. I believe he has missed two of his three offseasons with injury

Neverend
05-28-2012, 03:42 PM
I personally have very low expectations for Barden. You can't teach speed/quickness, and barden lacks that. People assume because he's very tall he can be an elite jump ball receiver but he doesn't seem like the strongest individual in the world. I think barden needs to fill out more throughout his body, but its been what -- going into his 4th year now? Not saying he's maxed out but he still has a lanky type frame. I don't see elite body control skills. Good thing is that I think barden's got the playbook down and knows how to settle in holes but still needs a lot of technique work getting off the line. His lack of quickness + mediocre strength gives him issues

On the other hand I have high expectations for Jernigan. I loved him coming out of the draft but when the giants drafted him I was pissed because they didnt adresess a need for LB at the time. Obviously that's a non-issue now. I don't think jernigan is an outside receiver but he's incredibly talented. He's very quick, has great balance, and tremendous speed. Nycsportzfan compares him to percy harvin and thats an excellent comparison although harvin is a little more bigger. I think jernigan can give the giants a very good underneath threat. Reports say he's looked more comfortable this year in OTAs comapred to last year. I'm expecting some really nice plays for jernigan this year

Hixon ... meh... I have no expectations for him this year. We're talking two acls in back-to-back years. I don't see how he can plant on his knees and get in-out of his cuts at a high level without some tentativeness because of that knee. As a result his burst/quicks will be a shell of his former self. I feel bad for hixon but I'm expecting him to do little to next to nothing next year. Truly feel bad because he's a great guy

Joe Morrison
05-28-2012, 04:45 PM
It took Manningham to his 3rd year to finally get a grasp on the offense, and after 4 Eli was still telling him on the sidelines what the other team was doing, Barden will do fine this year with more reps.</P>

Jernigan, what has he shown us, lets see some plays before they hand him a starting role.</P>

The real point is, whoever lines up out there with Nicks and Cruz, yes Nicks will be ready, someone is going to be open and Eli will get them the ball.</P>

Evo'Ed
05-28-2012, 04:57 PM

RR - Rookie

JJ was terrible on punts too.* I think he fumbled 3 times that one game.* Not sure when it was.* Just get him off of special teams and lets use him at WR.* See what he can do.

If JJ was so scary on returns, why was he our kick returner during the entire playoff run?

In the most important games our coaching staff had confidence in JJ returning kicks.

They could have easily had Devin Thomas (who returned kickoffs for us too) back there instead.

ANON837
05-28-2012, 07:24 PM
Not too concerned about the WR corp. If the running game is at least respectable, and the TE's shows some productivity, the offense will be fine.