PDA

View Full Version : Prince

RichGiants81
05-28-2012, 03:40 AM
I got a little worried after watching this, he looked lost on so many plays, I know that rookie DBS get smoked a lot but after all the hype, I expected more. Even on the pick, he got toasted but then made a nice move on a under thrown ball. Hopefully a full training camp plus all the tape of him getting smoked helps him become a better player next year. He's def a solid tackler which is a huge plus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJrePNHBC3Q&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Pop it Ahmad
05-28-2012, 03:48 AM
Prince got better as the season progressed. He played solid ball in the playoffs and SB. I remember Buck highlighting the fact that Prince was in the game, and that we should look for Aaron Rodgers to exploit him. Yet we all saw Aaron look Prince's way, and he found NOTHING.

Prince will be fine.

Diamondring
05-28-2012, 06:11 AM
Injuries are real hard to come by and a lot of players had trouble without preseason. They also said Prince is too intellegent and that can be bad. I think they put that as a problem because he may think he knows more than what the play and do somthing else and knowing too much can make him think too much.

Captain Chaos
05-28-2012, 06:22 AM
Prince got better as the season progressed. He played solid ball in the playoffs and SB. I remember Buck highlighting the fact that Prince was in the game, and that we should look for Aaron Rodgers to exploit him. Yet we all saw Aaron look Prince's way, and he found NOTHING.

Prince will be fine.

Have to agree, he really stepped it up in the playoffs and did well against some very good O's. I think he will be healthier and wiser, which should make for a very strong showing this year. Will be fun to watch!

egyptian420
05-28-2012, 08:31 AM
CB is the 2nd hardest position to adjust to in the NFL coming out of college. It's the hardest on defense.

I won't have any final assessment of Prince until his 3rd season but I certainly hope he keeps progressing.

Last year he was obviously unfortunate enough to not play most of the season but he still got some playing experience on the hardest possible stage.

I'm really looking forward to the competition at CB this year with Webster, T2, Prince, and Hosley.

THE_New_York_Giants
05-28-2012, 10:37 AM
He missed all of camp, all of preseason, etc.. and got thrown in at about week 10 when the stretch got important. He performed very well in the playoffs. People were ready to throw him under the bus after his first start. This offseason will be great for his progression and next year will be his breakout year.

b_ELI_eve
05-28-2012, 11:02 AM
How does everyone forget how awful Cweb was for his first 2 years. Prince will be fine. He just needs time to develope

jomo
05-28-2012, 11:20 AM

Prince will be fine.
I am not worried at all about the kid. In fact, I expect a solid move to the upside by him this year with a full training camp building on his experience from last year.

Vtgmenfan89
05-28-2012, 11:34 AM

Prince will be fine.

Not enough people on these boards acknowledge this. He beasted in playoffs once he got fully healthy and had played some games. Shut down Julio Jones and Jordy Nelson when Ross went out with injury in both games. Rodgers wanted to go that way and he absolutely could not, helping us get pressure and sacks. He will be ready to start on the outside, I will be disappointed if Thomas gets more snaps on the outside than in the slot. It's better suited for him even before injury, and even more so after.

Prince was considered a top 10 talent for a reason. You don't play that talent in the slot and give a guy with two torn ACL's and was already getting burned pretty often more snaps. Sorry to T2 fans, I'm just one of the people who found him to be a bit overrated. I'd love his ability in the slot as a blitzer sure tackler and ball hawk but I just don't have a lot of faith in him man to man on the outside.

midnite_nj
05-28-2012, 12:08 PM
I agree with your assesment on Prince and T2. Prince will be the real deal tho. Be patient.

Toadofsteel
05-28-2012, 12:55 PM
I for one am willing to give ALL our 2011 rookies another chance. Prince, Austin, Jernigan, Brewer, Jones, Sash, Williams, and Scott all have great potential to develop into something, and none of them had any offseason to speak of to learn the system. It's the folks like Ware and Barden that have had a looooong time to show us something and have failed to deliver that I don't want to see as much of...

giantsfan420
05-28-2012, 01:01 PM

Prince will be fine.

This. Iirc, prince was matched up on nelson when either ross or webby had to leave for a bit and buck commented how rodgers kept looking toward nelson and prince had him.

Im extremely optimistic with prince bc he was playing excellent man coverage.
then in the sb he had a real nice play on some sort of zone/cover two concept where he dropped off correctly, forced and underneath pass, and then made an excellent tackle right as the ball was caught.

I def. Saw signs and flshes of a guy capable of being lock down caliber

giantsfan420
05-28-2012, 01:12 PM
People r forgetting what a prospect prince is. Beofre his draft season, he was considered the "p.peterson/claiborne" caliber corner.

He has all the tools ability and intelligence to be a special corner. We got him at pick 17 where dallas had to give up picks to get their guy.

There was no offseason to speak of, he hurt his foot first day of practice, and it was tough for everyone especially rookies. The fact the coaches played prince when and how they did speaks to the ability and promise they see in this kid.

As someone said above, webby was pretty awful his first two yrs...give prince time before coming to a conclusion on him...i believe he is gonna be a shutdown level corner, i really do.

Revis even struggled a lil early in his career...well maybe the better way to say it is it took revis a couple yrs to get to the level hes at now bc it took him a while to get an accurate idea of the opposing wrs and have a memory bank of the moves they used, and for him to understand how and what to look at when watching film...lets give prince enough time for him to develop

CGYgiant
05-28-2012, 01:26 PM
People r forgetting what a prospect prince is. Beofre his draft season, he was considered the "p.peterson/claiborne" caliber corner.

He has all the tools ability and intelligence to be a special corner. <font size="5">We got him at pick 17 where dallas had to give up picks to get their guy.

</font>There was no offseason to speak of, he hurt his foot first day of practice, and it was tough for everyone especially rookies. The fact the coaches played prince when and how they did speaks to the ability and promise they see in this kid.

As someone said above, webby was pretty awful his first two yrs...give prince time before coming to a conclusion on him...i believe he is gonna be a shutdown level corner, i really do.

Revis even struggled a lil early in his career...well maybe the better way to say it is it took revis a couple yrs to get to the level hes at now bc it took him a while to get an accurate idea of the opposing wrs and have a memory bank of the moves they used, and for him to understand how and what to look at when watching film...lets give prince enough time for him to develop

Do you even watch the draft? We got Prince at pick 19 and Dallas got one of the best tackles in the league at the number 9 overall, without moving up. At least try and research a little before you say random things.

I however, also do think that Prince will be a good/great player. Lets wait and see.

giantsfan420
05-28-2012, 01:40 PM

He has all the tools ability and intelligence to be a special corner. <font size="5">We got him at pick 17 where dallas had to give up picks to get their guy.

</font>There was no offseason to speak of, he hurt his foot first day of practice, and it was tough for everyone especially rookies. The fact the coaches played prince when and how they did speaks to the ability and promise they see in this kid.

Do you even watch the draft? We got Prince at pick 19 and Dallas got one of the best tackles in the league at the number 9 overall, without moving up. At least try and research a little before you say random things.

I however, also do think that Prince will be a good/great player. Lets wait and see.

Still bitter bc i disagreed when u literally said osi plays the run as good as jpp huh...

Sorry, i dont know how u woulda assumed that i said we drafted prince the samet year they drafted claiborne. I was merely saying that both the teams got a top ten talent corner on their rosters. We got ours by beingt patient, while dallas had to give up picks to get theirs. Edit-sorry my cells sucks with the auto correct stuff i dunno how to turn it off
And PICK 19...instead of 17...that made u feel ur entitled to try and instigate and claim if i even watched the draft...lmfao WOW ...let it go. Ten days from now im not gonna be hawking every one of ur posts to look for small errors to try and start something like u currently are doing. GET OVER IT...u made a ridiculous claim and i disagreed. This whole bs is getting lame.

Moving on, I dont get how people can claim one way or the other about prince. I mean i am optimistic as possible with him but thats just an opinion. He hasnt shown enough one way or the other for anyone to define him imo

Toadofsteel
05-28-2012, 01:47 PM

Uhh, I think he was referring to Claiborne in 2012, not the pick from 2011. We didn't do a massive trade up to get someone with the same promise that Claiborne has...

giantsfan420
05-28-2012, 01:50 PM

Uhh, I think he was referring to Claiborne in 2012, not the pick from 2011. We didn't do a massive trade up to get someone with the same promise that Claiborne has...

Thank u. Cgy is just angry bc i disagreed when he said osi plays the run as well as jpp. If theres the smallest error or misunderstanding he usually questions if i even watch football etc etc etc...

But yeah thats how i meant it. Both teams got their top ten corner. (Diff drafts) we got ours being patient and lucky, dallas had to give up a valuable second rounder and another pick iirc

Drez
05-28-2012, 02:25 PM
So, you're worried that the rookie who didn't have any OTAs, training camp, was injured the first 10 weeks of the season, and the came back before he was 100% was lost on a bunch of plays?

buddy33
05-28-2012, 03:39 PM
Did you watch the playoff run or the Super Bowl? Although he was limited he was great in those games. Worried? I can't wait to see this guy shutting people down.

Neverend
05-28-2012, 04:00 PM
Prince didn't even play THAT bad throughout the regular season. He struggled but its not like he was awful or anything

I wouldn't say he got "totasted" by jackson. He just lost his balance. Impressive recovery speed and ability to locate the ball

That play against the saints. He had to back off because of the offensive bunch formation. Revis does this all the time too. Prince had no choice. It was a pick play, gives up the reception.. big deal. Once he gets used to the naunces of the game he'll recognize that play much better

The Jennings plays, again, not bad at all. Jennings did a good job jab stepping to the inside before releasing to the outside beating prince off the line. The other play jennings did an oustanding job turning prince around with a head fake. Once prince gets more experience he won't be so prone to bite on those head/jab fakes so easily.

Robinson plays were a result of two poorly executed defensive calls. Cover 2, prince was trailing underneath. That's on the safety. The other big play was cover 2 again with prince playing outside leverage. The safety should have been there but I'm assuming he went with the TE. Prince should've adjusted to man coverage but as a rookie, he's not that experienced yet

I saw nothing wrong with the redskins tape. A missed tackle on Gaffney, big deal. Everyone except JPP sucked that day

After reviewing that video, there was nothing terribly wrong about Prince Giants fans should worry about. Literally, nothing. Nevermind the fact Prince had a strong playoff season when subbed in for ross/rolle

Its not the fact that he got beat for big plays. You have to look at HOW he got beat on plays. And when looking at it that way, there is nothing in the long term that suggests the struggles Prince showed in his rookie season with linger for years to come. Prince will be a good corner

TuckYou
05-28-2012, 04:32 PM
His injury really killed his season. He is basically still a rookie now, going through his first training camp with Marvin Austin.

THE_New_York_Giants
05-28-2012, 05:45 PM

don't be a jerk. So he got it wrong by 2 spots. Who gives a ****.

I swear some people on these boards. Someone could say "Victor Cruz had 1520 receiving yards" and someone would pipe in "you incompetent mother ****ing idot, you are a useless human being and should go kill yourself because you don't do your mother ****ing research. He had 1536 receiving yards you stupid ***." Don't be all butt hurt over idiotic things.

TuckYou
05-28-2012, 07:09 PM

Yeah, bit Claiborne is projected to be a top tier defensive back. While Prince can be a great cb, Morris was way more highly touted during their drafts.

giantsfan420
05-28-2012, 07:14 PM

I swear some people on these boards. Someone could say "Victor Cruz had 1520 receiving yards" and someone would pipe in "you incompetent mother ****ing idot, you are a useless human being and should go kill yourself because you don't do your mother ****ing research. He had 1536 receiving yards you stupid ***." Don't be all butt hurt over idiotic things.

Well said. Happens so often around here i started to wonder how so many ppl could act like jerks and then i realized it wasnt a bunch of posters doing it, it was a couple posters doing it, they were just doing it alot...

giantsfan420
05-28-2012, 07:16 PM

Yeah, bit Claiborne is projected to be a top tier defensive back. While Prince can be a great cb, Morris was way more highly touted during their drafts.

This is true but had prince declared a season earlier he woulda been every bit the prospect claiborne is...maybe even more

giantsfan420
05-28-2012, 07:23 PM
Prince didn't even play THAT bad throughout the regular season. He struggled but its not like he was awful or anything

I wouldn't say he got "totasted" by jackson. He just lost his balance. Impressive recovery speed and ability to locate the ball

That play against the saints. He had to back off because of the offensive bunch formation. Revis does this all the time too. Prince had no choice. It was a pick play, gives up the reception.. big deal. Once he gets used to the naunces of the game he'll recognize that play much better

The Jennings plays, again, not bad at all. Jennings did a good job jab stepping to the inside before releasing to the outside beating prince off the line. The other play jennings did an oustanding job turning prince around with a head fake. Once prince gets more experience he won't be so prone to bite on those head/jab fakes so easily.

Robinson plays were a result of two poorly executed defensive calls. Cover 2, prince was trailing underneath. That's on the safety. The other big play was cover 2 again with prince playing outside leverage. The safety should have been there but I'm assuming he went with the TE. Prince should've adjusted to man coverage but as a rookie, he's not that experienced yet

I saw nothing wrong with the redskins tape. A missed tackle on Gaffney, big deal. Everyone except JPP sucked that day

After reviewing that video, there was nothing terribly wrong about Prince Giants fans should worry about. Literally, nothing. Nevermind the fact Prince had a strong playoff season when subbed in for ross/rolle

Its not the fact that he got beat for big plays. You have to look at HOW he got beat on plays. And when looking at it that way, there is nothing in the long term that suggests the struggles Prince showed in his rookie season with linger for years to come. Prince will be a good corner

Great post. One thing about prince that jumps out at me is his closing speed. If he can develop sound footwork and technique, he will be shut down imho on revis level.

Sports science did a clip on him about how much ground he can cover bc of his close in speed and it was like a 19 ft area iirc...like if he can manage to put himself in good positions vs a pass he should make a ton of plays on the ball. And if hes in a bad position/angle vs a pass his close in speed bails him out...

Imho prince is every bit as smooth and fluid as claiborne. Imho prince has better close in speed too. We got so lucky he fell to us

THE_New_York_Giants
05-28-2012, 08:24 PM

Well said. Happens so often around here i started to wonder how so many ppl could act like jerks and then i realized it wasnt a bunch of posters doing it, it was a couple posters doing it, they were just doing it alot...

I don't understand the consistent prudeness. It's like "my opinion is better than yours and I'm angry that you disagree or were off by a small number." NEWSFLASH. This is a message board of anonymous people who probably won't meet face to face. Your opinion (as well as mine) doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

THE_New_York_Giants
05-28-2012, 08:24 PM

I don't understand the consistent prudeness. It's like "my opinion is better than yours and I'm angry that you disagree or were off by a small number." NEWSFLASH. This is a message board of anonymous people who probably won't meet face to face. Your opinion (as well as mine) doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

zimonami
05-28-2012, 08:31 PM
When Prince returned he had some problems with zone coverage. That's to be expected for a rookie. The DB's went to Fewell around game 12 and asked him to run fewer zone coverages. Problem solved. Prince was solid in man to man throughout the end of the season and thru the playoffs, as we know.
He'll learn it. It'll take some time. He is going to be a good CB and I'm glad we have him.

JJC7301
05-28-2012, 08:51 PM
I've got no worries about Prince for now. I never even heard his name called in the playoffs in terms of blown assignments and I know that he was out on the field.

I'm confident about him.

Toadofsteel
05-29-2012, 10:56 AM

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GIFT

G-Man67
05-29-2012, 01:19 PM
nobody really exploited him in the playoffs or even in the last couple weeks of the regular season and that is a good sign</P>

critters
05-29-2012, 04:23 PM
I hope Prince pans out. The fact that we passed on a Heisman winning RB when we KNEW we were going to be completely desperate at the position this year for a CB really rubbed me the wrong way. I thought it was a pretty boneheaded move but I'm hoping Prince blows up and proves me wrong. I do understand the need for elite CBs in the NFL today though.

zimonami
05-29-2012, 07:26 PM
I hope Prince pans out. The fact that we passed on a Heisman winning RB when we KNEW we were going to be completely desperate at the position this year for a CB really rubbed me the wrong way. I thought it was a pretty boneheaded move but I'm hoping Prince blows up and proves me wrong. I do understand the need for elite CBs in the NFL today though.
\
How did it turn out the last time we didn't pass on a Heisman winning RB?
Ya' never know, until you know... and then it's too late.

critters
05-30-2012, 12:20 PM
We went to the Super Bowl? haha. You never know with any position. My thoughts at the time were that going into this 2012 football season we were going to be desperate for a RB. Jacobs was getting older and wasn't the back he used to be... Bradshaw couldn't stay healthy or hold onto the ball and there we are with our pick and a Heisman winning RB known for an incredible work ethic is sitting there... and we take a CB. Elite CBs are never a bad pick, and he had a lot of value. Just hoped I would end up being wrong. Jury is still out on Prince, but I would take Mark Ingram over Wilson all day... but again, who knows. Wilson could blow it up and Ingram could be the next Dayne.

zimonami
05-30-2012, 12:38 PM
We went to the Super Bowl? haha. You never know with any position. My thoughts at the time were that going into this* 2012 football season we were going to be desperate for a RB. Jacobs was getting older and wasn't the back he used to be... Bradshaw couldn't stay healthy or hold onto the ball and there we are with our pick and a Heisman winning RB known for an incredible work ethic is sitting there... and we take a CB. Elite CBs are never a bad pick, and he had a lot of value. Just hoped I would end up being wrong. Jury is still out on Prince, but I would take Mark Ingram over Wilson all day... but again, who knows. Wilson could blow it up and Ingram could be the next Dayne.

It's a crap shoot. Remember Kijana Carter from Penn State? Ryan Leaf? The next sure thing is never sure. You have to have some confidance in your GM, coaches, and scouts. In general Reese his staff does a good enough job that we have to go with whatever flow they decide.

critters
05-30-2012, 12:53 PM
We went to the Super Bowl? haha. You never know with any position. My thoughts at the time were that going into this 2012 football season we were going to be desperate for a RB. Jacobs was getting older and wasn't the back he used to be... Bradshaw couldn't stay healthy or hold onto the ball and there we are with our pick and a Heisman winning RB known for an incredible work ethic is sitting there... and we take a CB. Elite CBs are never a bad pick, and he had a lot of value. Just hoped I would end up being wrong. Jury is still out on Prince, but I would take Mark Ingram over Wilson all day... but again, who knows. Wilson could blow it up and Ingram could be the next Dayne.

It's a crap shoot. Remember Kijana Carter from Penn State? Ryan Leaf? The next sure thing is never sure. You have to have some confidance in your GM, coaches, and scouts. In general Reese his staff does a good enough job that we have to go with whatever flow they decide.

Totally agree.

buddy33
05-30-2012, 01:37 PM
Picking Prince was the easiest decision that Reese has had to make. He was by far the best player available.

critters
05-30-2012, 03:34 PM
Picking Prince was the easiest decision that Reese has had to make. He was by far the best player available.

Matter of opinion. But he was definitely a great get at 19. There were very few players in the 2011 draft I thought were better than Mark Ingram, but taking a RB with your first round pick is questionable because of the health risk.

buddy33
05-30-2012, 11:14 PM
When a top ten talent falls to 19 you take him. He was the better prospect than Ingram.

critters
05-31-2012, 12:28 PM
When a top ten talent falls to 19 you take him. He was the better prospect than Ingram.

I saw both play and I personally would have preferred Mark Ingram but I'm not paid to make those kinds of decisions. I would say Mark Ingram is a top 10 talent. They don't give Heisman's to the best looking player. He started AHEAD of Trent Richardson (3rd player selected in this year's draft) for 2 YEARS.

I guess only time can tell which would have been the better decision. I'm certainly happy with getting Prince, dude is awesome. If our upcoming RB situation wasn't so predictable last year, I wouldn't have cared either way. But I knew we were going to need a good RB in a bad bad way this season so I wanted the top RB in the draft when he was available. Not to mention his father was a first round pick for the New York Giants that helped us win a Super Bowl. Just seemed perfect! Who cares now though really.

THE_New_York_Giants
05-31-2012, 04:12 PM

I saw both play and I personally would have preferred Mark Ingram but I'm not paid to make those kinds of decisions. I would say Mark Ingram is a top 10 talent.* They don't give Heisman's to the best looking player. He started AHEAD of Trent Richardson (3rd player selected in this year's draft) for 2 YEARS.

I guess only time can tell which would have been the better decision. I'm certainly happy with getting Prince, dude is awesome. If our upcoming RB situation wasn't so predictable last year, I wouldn't have cared either way. But I knew we were going to need a good RB in a bad bad way this season so I wanted the top RB in the draft when he was available. Not to mention his father was a first round pick for the New York Giants that helped us win a Super Bowl. Just seemed perfect! Who cares now though really.

I don't really understand how the Heisman is decided anymore. McCoy should have won over Bradford a few years back, Tebow should have easily won 2, Vince Young should have won over Bush, Ingram was like Ron Dayne in college just not as good. The only sure-fire heisman winner in the past 4 years was Cam Newton. The rest were toss-ups. In fact, the year Ingram won it, I thought Ndamakong Suh should have won.

GMENAGAIN
05-31-2012, 04:20 PM
</P>

Ingram did absolutely nothing last year . . . . even Prince did more.</P>

The Heisman means absolutely nothing in terms of likelihood of success in the NFL (see Dayne, Ron). </P>

Also, it's not like Ingram was snapped up at pick number 20. . . . . he lasted until pick number 28. </P>

GMENAGAIN
05-31-2012, 04:20 PM
</P>

Ingram did absolutely nothing last year . . . . even Prince did more.</P>

The Heisman means absolutely nothing in terms of likelihood of success in the NFL (see Dayne, Ron). </P>

Also, it's not like Ingram was snapped up at pick number 20. . . . . he lasted until pick number 28. </P>

slipknottin
05-31-2012, 04:22 PM
I would say Mark Ingram is a top 10 talent.*

Not a single NFL scout/gm/coach or even media personality thought Ingram was a top 10 talent.

Nobody.

zimonami
05-31-2012, 04:58 PM

Not a single NFL scout/gm/coach or even media personality thought Ingram was a top 10 talent.

Nobody.
lol... you should know better, slip.
None of those experts had Tom Brady in their top 5 rounds, either.
We won't know who was right or wrong for a few more years... so the jury is out and critters might end up being correct... or, not.

giantsfan420
05-31-2012, 05:09 PM

Nobody.

He was regarded as a first round talent tho. His lack of breakaway speed is what led to the opinion of him being lowered. I personally think ingram will be tne better back over richardson, just my opinion tho. But richardson was taken top five.
i agree that the fact ingram started over richardson for two years says something...richardson just doesnt have the lack of breakaway speed ingram has, jmho

slipknottin
05-31-2012, 06:26 PM
[
We won't know who was right or wrong for a few more years... so the jury is out and critters might end up being correct... or, not.

my argument was not anything to do with the success they will or wont have in the NFL. It was just about pre-draft.

The argument was that he believed Ingram was a top 10 talent, and the giants missed on a top 10 talent to draft prince. When in actuality, no NFL talent evaluator had Ingram as a top 10 player, and many had Prince in that range.

slipknottin
05-31-2012, 06:30 PM
His lack of breakaway speed is what led to the opinion of him being lowered.

Dont agree with that at all. Richardson isnt that much faster than Ingram.

I think it was pretty unanimous that scouts/nfl evaluators all thought Richardson was a better talent all around than Ingram. Even when Richardson was only a fresh, and Ingram was winning the heismann.

College production and how many snaps they play isnt always the best indicator of NFL talent.

gmen0820
05-31-2012, 07:00 PM

I think it was pretty unanimous that scouts/nfl evaluators all thought Richardson was a better talent all around than Ingram. Even when Richardson was only a fresh, and Ingram was winning the heismann.

College production and how many snaps they play isnt always the best indicator of NFL talent.I remember Rob Rang saying that as well after Ingram won the Heisman.

critters
05-31-2012, 07:05 PM
[

my argument was not anything to do with the success they will or wont have in the NFL. It was just about pre-draft.

The argument was that he believed Ingram was a top 10 talent, and the giants missed on a top 10 talent to draft prince. When in actuality, no NFL talent evaluator had Ingram as a top 10 player, and many had Prince in that range.

Yes, I (me) believe he was a top 10 talent. I don't base my opinions on what the media tells me. I probably watch more college football then them anyway. He's a RB though, so it's different for media guys/scouts to say he should be a top 10 pick because most don't want to put a RB in the top 10. So it's apples and oranges and neither were actually taken in the top 18. My point was that I thought we would be desperate for a RB this year and we passed on a good one. Not trying to knock Prince by saying it. If you think we just do best available.. did you think David Wilson (was he considered a 1st round talent pre-draft) was the best available? Upshaw was considered a top 15-20 guy, we passed on him. Was Adrien Robinson the best available in the 4th?

As for what happened in college and who is better. My point was that a coach is usually going to play the better player and Ingram started ahead of Richardson for two years.. Unless you think Nick Saban just likes a challenge?

As for how their careers go... Mark Ingram isn't in the best place to be an elite RB. And I'm not trying to say one will have a better career than the other. Just saying that when we passed on Ingram, I was upset because I thought we desperately needed a RB. Prince's value at 19 was great... we all know that. And like I said, elite CBs are always welcomed.

giantsfan420
05-31-2012, 07:15 PM

College production and how many snaps they play isnt always the best indicator of NFL talent.

What r u talking about??? Almost every scout and analyst literally said ingrams lack of breakaway speed was an issue and what seperated him from feature backs.
Disagreeing with if their opinion is valid or not is one thing, to disagree and say "no that was not said about him" is just moronic bc it was literally the knock on him...

And richardson ran a 4.4 ingram ran a 4.5 iirc, i know that that is overblown, but richardson doesnt have the issue of people knocking him for a lack of breakaway speed. Its part of the reason both went when they did

giantsfan420
05-31-2012, 07:22 PM

What r u talking about??? Almost every scout and analyst literally said ingrams lack of breakaway speed was an issue and what seperated him from feature backs.
Disagreeing with if their opinion is valid or not is one thing, to disagree and say "no that was not said about him" is just moronic bc it was literally the knock on him...

And richardson ran a 4.4 ingram ran a 4.5 iirc, i know that that is overblown, but richardson doesnt have the issue of people knocking him for a lack of breakaway speed. Its part of the reason both went when they did

I want to add tho that i think ingram will be the better rb of the two after both careers are over, and that prince will be regarded as the better player of the three...

With ingram tho i believe he had the fasted first ten yard split on the 40, he is gonna be a 4 ypc or higher back, and will get a bunch of 20 plus yd runs but barely any long td runs...kinda like bradshaw. I think its why we didnt take him actually, he didnt represent a change from bradshaw. While wilson runs strong, he presents a diff dynamic than ingram. I believe thats important to jr and tc in respects to our rbs

critters
05-31-2012, 07:24 PM

I saw both play and I personally would have preferred Mark Ingram but I'm not paid to make those kinds of decisions. I would say Mark Ingram is a top 10 talent. They don't give Heisman's to the best looking player. He started AHEAD of Trent Richardson (3rd player selected in this year's draft) for 2 YEARS.

I don't really understand how the Heisman is decided anymore. McCoy should have won over Bradford a few years back, Tebow should have easily won 2, Vince Young should have won over Bush, Ingram was like Ron Dayne in college just not as good. The only sure-fire heisman winner in the past 4 years was Cam Newton. The rest were toss-ups. In fact, the year Ingram won it, I thought Ndamakong Suh should have won.

Cause Colt McCoy is overhyped and should not have won IMO. He pads his stats against nobodies and does very little against good defenses (the rare times he actually faces one). Seriously in 2008 I'd be surprised if he faced one passing defense in the top 60 or 70 outside of playing OSU in a bowl game. Bradford had a lot more total yards and a lot more TD passes as well.

I can agree with you on the Heisman being odd though, and it's definitely no indication of how good a player will do in the pros. You say Ingram is like Dayne... Dayne deserved his Heisman.

critters
05-31-2012, 07:36 PM
I wouldn't say that I think Ingram will be better than Trent in the pros. They are different runners... Ingram is much better at knowing the plays and reading the blocks/defense. Trent just manhandles defensive players and yes, has better breakaway speed... also seemed a bit shiftier. Still, they were on the same team and Ingram got a majority of the carries so that tells me something... that could have had a lot to do with leadership though. Ingram strikes me as the leader type while Trent always seems really reserved or shy.

I will say that I also watched a lot of David Wilson in college and I was always a fan of his. I would prefer Ingram, but this guy can play.

Drez
05-31-2012, 09:16 PM
Still, they were on the same team and Ingram got a majority of the carries so that tells me something...

Which of these RBs has had the more distinguished careers: Cadillac Williams&lt; Ronnie Brown, Brandon Jacobs? Which one had to transfer schools because he couldn't get carries?

slipknottin
05-31-2012, 09:23 PM
Yes, I (me) believe he was a top 10 talent. I don't base my opinions on what the media tells me. I probably watch more college football then them anyway.

Im sure you watch way more film than NFL evaluators/scouts...

slipknottin
05-31-2012, 09:26 PM

Never heard that from anyone other than fans.

"breakaway speed" is a massively overrated thing that really is not all that important for a HB.

Lateral quickness on the other hand, is a HUGE deal. And Ingram is not a great lateral runner. Richardson is far superior, and has much better balance and runs with better power.

buddy33
05-31-2012, 10:08 PM
Do you know how many Heisman winners have begone absolutely nothing in the NFL? The Giants drafted one who is also the NCAA all time rushing leader.

I like Ingram but 31 teams passed on him which says no one thought of him as a top 10 talent. Richardson was drafted top ten.

giantsfan420
05-31-2012, 10:21 PM

Never heard that from anyone other than fans.

"breakaway speed" is a massively overrated thing that really is not all that important for a HB.

Lateral quickness on the other hand, is a HUGE deal. And Ingram is not a great lateral runner. Richardson is far superior, and has much better balance and runs with better power.

Ingram actually has great lateral agility...that was what made so many people willing to overrlook his lack of breakaway speed.

Id agree that usually that term is just part of some fanfare, but with ingram he does have a blatant lack of breakaway speed. His ten yard split and lateral agility tho made him and make him such a tough runner.

I hadnt read one report on ingram that didnt mention the breakaway speed aspect...

THE_New_York_Giants
05-31-2012, 11:02 PM

I saw both play and I personally would have preferred Mark Ingram but I'm not paid to make those kinds of decisions. I would say Mark Ingram is a top 10 talent.* They don't give Heisman's to the best looking player. He started AHEAD of Trent Richardson (3rd player selected in this year's draft) for 2 YEARS.

Cause Colt McCoy is overhyped and should not have won IMO. He pads his stats against nobodies and does very little against good defenses (the rare times he actually faces one). Seriously in 2008 I'd be surprised if he faced one passing defense in the top 60 or 70 outside of playing OSU in a bowl game. Bradford had a lot more total yards and a lot more TD passes as well.

I can agree with you on the Heisman being odd though, and it's definitely no indication of how good a player will do in the pros. You say Ingram is like Dayne... Dayne deserved his Heisman.

Suh deserved it over Ingram.

Tebow deserved it over both McCoy and Bradford. Young deserved it over Reggie Bush (which was proven in the national championship).

critters
06-01-2012, 12:11 PM
Yes, I (me) believe he was a top 10 talent. I don't base my opinions on what the media tells me. I probably watch more college football then them anyway.

Im sure you watch way more film than NFL evaluators/scouts...

Do you consider NFL evaluators and "the media" the same?

critters
06-01-2012, 12:26 PM
Still, they were on the same team and Ingram got a majority of the carries so that tells me something...

Which of these RBs has had the more distinguished careers: Cadillac Williams&lt; Ronnie Brown, Brandon Jacobs? Which one had to transfer schools because he couldn't get carries?

I didn't say that Ingram would be better than Richardson, nor do I think that... so did you have a point? Either way, Cadillac was rookie of the year and broke records as a rookie.. when he was healthy. They all had different OLines and Cadillac had some pretty bad injuries early in his career. Not sure if it's a fair comparison.

Drez
06-01-2012, 12:34 PM

I didn't say that Ingram would be better than Richardson, nor do I think that... so did you have a point? Either way, Cadillac was rookie of the year and broke records as a rookie.. when he was healthy. They all had different OLines and Cadillac had some pretty bad injuries early in his career. Not sure if it's a fair comparison.

I'm saying you can't necessarily infer anything from Ingram starting over Richardson in college.

critters
06-01-2012, 12:45 PM

I'm saying you can't necessarily infer anything from Ingram starting over Richardson in college.

Well like I said, it tells me SOMETHING... it doesn't tell me everything. What someone does in college doesn't mean squat in regards to what they're going to do in the pros, but the fact that Ingram started ahead of who I view to be one of the best college RBs I've seen in many years, tells me he's got some talent, works hard and is trusted by coaches. I don't think it means he's better or will have a better career. Health and OL can have just as much to do with that as their talents.

fansince69
06-01-2012, 01:21 PM
Do you know how many Heisman winners have begone absolutely nothing in the NFL? The Giants drafted one who is also the NCAA all time rushing leader.

I like Ingram but 31 teams passed on him which says no one thought of him as a top 10 talent. Richardson was drafted top ten.

Archie Griffith won back to back Heisman's and was mediocre at best in the NFL

critters
06-01-2012, 01:47 PM

Sure do... what does that have to do with what we're talking about? I guess I could ask if you knew how many first round CBs went on to do nothing in the NFL? And yes, Richardson was drafted top 3. He's a freak RB and a very rare breed of player... unlike Ingram. In that draft I viewed Ingram as a top 10 TALENT... not a top 10 pick. He's a RB. I also called JPP a top 10 talent... he was taken 15th.

31 teams didn't pass on Ingram... he was the 28th player selected. My argument in saying that I could call him a top 10 talent was based on someone else saying Prince was... 18 teams passed on him. This is a pretty massive waste of time. I'm discussing my opinion. I PERSONALLY wanted us to take Mark Ingram when he was available... and because we passed on who I think would have been a great fit for us for Prince, I said I HOPE he pans out. What previous Heisman's or other RBs have done has absolutely nothing to do with it. In this last draft when people were saying Z Sanders was a 1st round OL and B Massie was a 2nd rounder, I said I personally think Sanders is EXTREMELY overrated and that Massie is more of a 4th round guy. Sanders went in the 5th and Massie in the 4th. When Demario Davis was being projected as a 6th to 7th rounder, I said he was the sleeper of the draft... he went in the 3rd. If I have watched a player, I just make my own opinions. I don't care what the media says about someone pre-draft and I think there are way more players with "top 10 talent" then just the players actually selected in the top 10.