PDA

View Full Version : Player loyality

Pa1jintfan
05-29-2012, 07:27 AM
I was watching NFL.com and as they said how good the gmen are at grooming there draft picks into stars and depth. It just got me thinking that I feel the giants are the classiest org. In the league. You never see us draft a player and give up on him after one year. We hold onto our talent with constant extensions, and we treat our players right. I know it's slow on these boards right now, but just wanted to bring up this point. We should all be proud to be a giants fan, and also be very proud of our team. I for one know that the team I believe in, believes in there system, there players, and there fans.. Yes even us..... Go jints...

JimC
05-29-2012, 08:23 AM
I was watching NFL.com and as they said how good the gmen are at grooming there draft picks into stars and depth. It just got me thinking that I feel the giants are the classiest org. In the league. You never see us draft a player and give up on him after one year. We hold onto our talent with constant extensions, and we treat our players right. I know it's slow on these boards right now, but just wanted to bring up this point. We should all be proud to be a giants fan, and also be very proud of our team. I for one know that the team I believe in, believes in there system, there players, and there fans.. Yes even us..... Go jints...

their, their, their [:O]

GMENAGAIN
05-29-2012, 08:41 AM
I don't get this . . .. do you think that the Giants don't give up on players after one year because they are "classy" or because they draft well and have very few draftees that are obvious busts after one year??

Morehead State
05-29-2012, 09:59 AM
I was watching NFL.com and as they said how good the gmen are at grooming there draft picks into stars and depth. It just got me thinking that I feel the giants are the classiest org. In the league. You never see us draft a player and give up on him after one year. We hold onto our talent with constant extensions, and we treat our players right. I know it's slow on these boards right now, but just wanted to bring up this point. We should all be proud to be a giants fan, and also be very proud of our team. I for one know that the team I believe in, believes in there system, there players, and there fans.. Yes even us..... Go jints...</P>

I had dinner with a ex-Giant (my wife met him on a plane) that played for two years with us. he spent most of his career elsewhere.</P>

He said that after he was released, Mr. Mara sent him a hand written letter, thanking him for his contribution to our team. He said that he would have loved to spend his entire career in NY.</P>

Had nothing but praise for our organization.</P>

MikeIsaGiant
05-29-2012, 10:28 AM
Yet everyone "hates" us...

RoanokeFan
05-29-2012, 10:56 AM
I was watching NFL.com and as they said how good the gmen are at grooming there draft picks into stars and depth. It just got me thinking that I feel the giants are the classiest org. In the league. You never see us draft a player and give up on him after one year. We hold onto our talent with constant extensions, and we treat our players right. I know it's slow on these boards right now, but just wanted to bring up this point. We should all be proud to be a giants fan, and also be very proud of our team. I for one know that the team I believe in, believes in there system, there players, and there fans.. Yes even us..... Go jints...</p>

I had dinner with a ex-Giant (my wife met him on a plane) that played for two years with us. he spent most of his career elsewhere.</p>

He said that after he was released, Mr. Mara sent him a hand written letter, thanking him for his contribution to our team. He said that he would have loved to spend his entire career in NY.</p>

Had nothing but praise for our organization.</p>

Great story. I think it's been clear for decades that the GIANTS are nothing if they aren't classy. I know it's a business on both sides and that's what we hear about the most; contracts, rules violations, etc.

But the GIANTS have always been a family type of organization. When I first started taking our youngest son to games, players like Jumbo Elliott and Mark Bavaro were on the team. We could go to where the players parked their cars and get their autographs (if theyw ere so inclined) without having to jump through any hoops. After one game, my son wanted to go back to get Elliott's autograph as he missed him on the way in. I'm thinking to myself these guys are tired now but we went over anyway. As we're approaching the player parking area there is Jumbo Elliott, bigger than life, carrying bags of gear to his car. Before I can tell my son to wait until he gets to the car he runs over to the fence holding out his card and pen. Elliott kind of looks at me and as I was about to call my son back he put down all of his bags, signed the card, and talked with my 9 year old son for a few minutes. As this is happening, Bavaro appears and he's talking to Brad Bensons' mother and they are all getting ready to tailgate. HONEST TO GOD! Just watching these players and their families, even from afar, gave you that "family" sense.

Toadofsteel
05-29-2012, 11:06 AM
It's not just player loyalty, but coach's loyalty to players as well. If players would get benched for any little mistake, Weatherford would not be our punter now. He was under strict orders to punt out of bounds in the game in Philly, and failed to do so...

EJ Blue
05-29-2012, 11:21 AM
Smith, Boss, Seubert and O'Hara were treated right?

The Giants treat their players the same as any other team in my opinion. It's a business and there's no real loyalty.

GMENAGAIN
05-29-2012, 11:22 AM
It's not just player loyalty, but coach's loyalty to players as well. If players would get benched for any little mistake, Weatherford would not be our punter now. He was under strict orders to punt out of bounds in the game in Philly, and failed to do so...</P>

This past season?</P>

Or are you thinking of Dodge from the season before?</P>

SweetZombieJesus
05-29-2012, 11:36 AM
Generally I agree that the Giants stick with project players, but I can think of plenty that get cast aside -- Chad Jones, Jay Alford come to mind.

TrueBlue@NYC
05-29-2012, 11:43 AM
When it comes to trying to work out contracts, I think the team tries to do what's best for the organization. It's a business and I think both sides see that. I think most teams do this actually.

But what serparates the Giants I think is their treatment of players while they're here, and how they treat those players even then they're on their way out. They see each player as a person, not just an asset.

They still understand the human side of this sport.

RoanokeFan
05-29-2012, 11:53 AM

The Giants treat their players the same as any other team in my opinion. It's a business and there's no real loyalty.

How were they treated unfairly?

Toadofsteel
05-29-2012, 11:55 AM
It's not just player loyalty, but coach's loyalty to players as well. If players would get benched for any little mistake, Weatherford would not be our punter now. He was under strict orders to punt out of bounds in the game in Philly, and failed to do so...</P>

This past season?</P>

Or are you thinking of Dodge from the season before?</P>

No I was talking about Weatherford. The first Philly game (with the 2010 game still clear in our minds) had Weatherford punt to the left sideline, but still in bounds. Luckily D-Jax couldn't return it all that much, but the commentators mentioned how Coughlin had the red pen out after that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06aUzjNHgQ4 (http://youtu.be/06aUzjNHgQ4?t=7m27s) 7:27 in

As for Dodge, well, Weatherford beat him in preseason, straight out.

PS: Victor Cruz's first completetion and TD at 31 mins in.

EJ Blue
05-29-2012, 12:03 PM

He said we hold onto our talent with constant extensions. It didn't hold true to those guys I mentioned, and I thought they played pretty good during their careers as Giants to say the least. Any team will be loyal to their players until it starts getting to too expensive to be loyal, or the players start sucking. I think NFL teams are pretty identical when it comes to loyalty.

MattMeyerBud
05-29-2012, 12:04 PM

the only person u could argue is steve smith

and it isn't much or an argument

Seuburt and OHara didn't even play football last year and looks like they are both done.

Boss was holding out on us and then got a last minute ridiculous contract from Oakland which has already been terminated.

MattMeyerBud
05-29-2012, 12:05 PM

He said we hold onto our talent with constant extensions. It didn't hold true to those guys I mentioned, and I thought they played pretty good during their careers as Giants to say the least. Any team will be loyal to their players until it starts getting to too expensive to be loyal, or the players start sucking. I think NFL teams are pretty identical when it comes to loyalty.

we offered Smith a nice extension in which he turned down

RoanokeFan
05-29-2012, 12:16 PM

We do hold onto "our talent" with contract extension. But it's not an infinite continuum. At some point, all players reach their serviceable football life which was the case for Seubert and O'Hara. Other players reject the extensions offered and play elsewhere as was the case with Smith and Boss. I still don't see how any of them were treated "unfairly."

BeatYale
05-29-2012, 12:19 PM

I agree that the Giants are a classy organization, but when you say "You never see us draft a player and give up on him after one year" are you implying that this behavior is normal with other teams in the league?

JimC
05-29-2012, 12:20 PM
I wish I could say/feel otherwise. There is NO employee/employer loyalty any longer. Almost EVERYONE is out for the money. Show anyone more money and they will go.

I would be interested in hearing what breeds company loyalty. What is it that makes you stay with your employer?

MattMeyerBud
05-29-2012, 12:23 PM
I wish I could say/feel otherwise.* There is NO employee/employer loyalty any longer.* Almost EVERYONE is out for the money.* Show anyone more money and they will go.

I would be interested in hearing what breeds company loyalty.* What is it that makes you stay with your employer?

cant blame players putting money first

and can't blame organizations for wanting to put out the best possible team

its abusiness

its nice to think the Giants are loyal, but I think thats getting confused wtih classy.

We are no more loyal than any other team

JimC
05-29-2012, 12:34 PM
I wish I could say/feel otherwise. There is NO employee/employer loyalty any longer. Almost EVERYONE is out for the money. Show anyone more money and they will go.

I would be interested in hearing what breeds company loyalty. What is it that makes you stay with your employer?

cant blame players putting money first

and can't blame organizations for wanting to put out the best possible team

its abusiness

its nice to think the Giants are loyal, but I think thats getting confused wtih classy.

We are no more loyal than any other team

no one is blaming the players or the organization for putting money first.......after all it is a BUSINESS first. I would like to think of the GIANTS as classy, honest, forth-right, true to their word, fair, etc. Them being all those things may inspire loyalty, but in this day and age MONEY trumps loyalty.

Morehead State
05-29-2012, 12:38 PM

</P>

Victor Cruz is a perfect example. Got hurt after being an undrafted FA and kept him on the team. And now he's saying that "hold out" isn't part of his vocabulary.</P>

And the best example was Chad Jones. It was always very doubtful that he would ever play football, yet the Giants paid him and paid for all his surgeries that has helped him come to be able to lead a normal life. There was no self interest in that decision. And i can't think of a better gift for the kid to get from our team.</P>

</P>

JimC
05-29-2012, 12:46 PM

</p>

Victor Cruz is a perfect example. Got hurt after being an undrafted FA and kept him on the team. And now he's saying that "hold out" isn't part of his vocabulary.</p>

And the best example was Chad Jones. It was always very doubtful that he would ever play football, yet the Giants paid him and paid for all his surgeries that has helped him come to be able to lead a normal life. There was no self interest in that decision. And i can't think of a better gift for the kid to get from our team.</p>

</p>

I hear what you are trying to say, but Victor Cruz is under contract so he can say all those nice things. Lets see how that works out when he is at the end of his current contract. In the case of Chad Jones, it looks like the GIANTS did the honorable thing and I am proud of them for that. I believe there may be more loyalty from GIANTS to player than the other way around. Don't know...still on the fence with that one.

Morehead State
05-29-2012, 01:00 PM

</P>

Victor Cruz is a perfect example. Got hurt after being an undrafted FA and kept him on the team. And now he's saying that "hold out" isn't part of his vocabulary.</P>

And the best example was Chad Jones. It was always very doubtful that he would ever play football, yet the Giants paid him and paid for all his surgeries that has helped him come to be able to lead a normal life. There was no self interest in that decision. And i can't think of a better gift for the kid to get from our team.</P>

</P>

I hear what you are trying to say, but Victor Cruz is under contract so he can say all those nice things. Lets see how that works out when he is at the end of his current contract. In the case of Chad Jones, it looks like the GIANTS did the honorable thing and I am proud of them for that. I believe there may be more loyalty from GIANTS to player than the other way around. Don't know...still on the fence with that one.
</P>

The reality is that the organization treats the players with honor and respect. Sometimes they have to make hard personel decisions in the interest of the team (and fans), but even in those cases, they tend to treat the players themselves, on a human level, very well.</P>

This is what Lomas Brown told me after he was released, so I got it from a player who WAS released.</P>

But ultimately, you can't control how a player acts. There are hundreds of players that come through those doors in any given few years. With all kinds of different attitudes and sets of values. All the team can control is how they behave and how they treat the players.</P>

RoanokeFan
05-29-2012, 01:46 PM

We do hold onto "our talent" with contract extensions. But it's not an infinite continuum. At some point, all players reach their serviceable football life which was the case for Seubert and O'Hara. Other players reject the extensions offered and play elsewhere as was the case with Smith and Boss. I still don't see how any of them were treated "unfairly."

RoanokeFan
05-29-2012, 01:50 PM

</p>

Victor Cruz is a perfect example. Got hurt after being an undrafted FA and kept him on the team. And now he's saying that "hold out" isn't part of his vocabulary.</p>

And the best example was Chad Jones. It was always very doubtful that he would ever play football, yet the Giants paid him and paid for all his surgeries that has helped him come to be able to lead a normal life. There was no self interest in that decision. And i can't think of a better gift for the kid to get from our team.</p>

</p>

And Osi is under contract. Big difference in approach. When Cruz is at the end of his current contract he is entitled to shop his talents on the open market unless the GIANTS preempt that by extending him.

It's a business, as we all know. Cofield, Ross, Boss, Manningham and others went elsewhere without any publicly stated hard feelings. That's what I would expect from Cruz if the GIANTS can't afford him at the appropriate time.

GMENAGAIN
05-29-2012, 01:52 PM

cant blame players putting money first and can't blame organizations for wanting to put out the best possible team its abusiness its nice to think the Giants are loyal, but I think thats getting confused wtih classy. We are no more loyal than any other team</P>

+1</P>

We're not keeping crappy players on the roster just to be nice or classy. If a guy's on the roster it's because the team thinks he can help them win. End of story.</P>

</P>

TrueBlue@NYC
05-29-2012, 02:06 PM
I wish I could say/feel otherwise.* There is NO employee/employer loyalty any longer.* Almost EVERYONE is out for the money.* Show anyone more money and they will go.

I would be interested in hearing what breeds company loyalty.* What is it that makes you stay with your employer?
cant blame players putting money first and can't blame organizations for wanting to put out the best possible team its abusiness its nice to think the Giants are loyal, but I think thats getting confused wtih classy. We are no more loyal than any other team</P>

+1</P>

We're not keeping crappy players on the roster just to be nice or classy.* If a guy's on the roster it's because the team thinks he can help them win.* End of story.</P>

*</P>

When I talk about the Giants being class y and loyal, i'm not even referring to whether they resign every good player they draft.

It's more than that. It's how the organization treats its' former players, even if they only played with the team for a few years. It's how the organization treats them while they're with the team.

Loyalty and treating your employees right goes beyond just the pay check.

And I think we, as fans, take on some of that same attitude with former giants, particularly those that have helped the team win.

Drez
05-29-2012, 02:11 PM

Yes, they were treated more than fairly.

In case you haven't noticed, O'Hara and Seubert haven't played a down of football since we released them. I think O'Hara had ONE workout with the Dolphins. So, yes, we treated them right. Just because we ended up cutting them due to age and injury concerns doesn't mean that we didn't treat them properly or fairly. In fact, one can say we did the right thing by releasing them when we did. It allowed them to make visits during camps when positions are up for grabs (not that either of them were physically capable of participating then).

I don't understand why Boss is even on the list. We offered him a fair contract, the Raiders in typical fashion overpaid for him. If you think that Boss is worth the contract that the Raiders offered him you are high. Notice how the Raiders cut him because his production wasn't worth the money they paid him?

Smith was treated fairly. We offered a show-me contract, and he took the first contract offer he had that was more than what we offered without even bringing it back here to see if we would match it. He also declined a much more lucrative contract extension previously. He ended up not being full health all year with Philly and finished the year on the IR. He also spent several games on the healthy scratch list. So, yes, we did treat him properly.

Any other players that you think we treated unfairly that you want dispelled?

giantsfan420
05-29-2012, 03:37 PM
Generally I agree that the Giants stick with project players, but I can think of plenty that get cast aside -- Chad Jones, Jay Alford come to mind.

How could u include chad jones. He was on our roster for a couple yrs even tho it was questionable if hed even walk. We actually cut him almost he completed rehabbing not when he was in a hospital for half a year. Giants were extremely classy with him and i doubt alford would have a negative word to say about the giants either

G-Man67
05-29-2012, 04:07 PM
Yet everyone "hates" us...</P>

it is amazing ... we cut O'Hara andSeubert and we're an awful cut-throat organization</P>

meanwhile nobody picks up those guys</P>

and if you ask either one, they will have nothing but good things to say about our organization</P>

Morehead State
05-29-2012, 06:55 PM
How could u include chad jones. He was on our roster for a couple yrs even tho it was questionable if hed even walk. We actually cut him almost he completed rehabbing not when he was in a hospital for half a year. Giants were extremely classy with him and i doubt alford would have a negative word to say about the giants either</P>

The single greatest thing that ever happened to Chad Jones was to be drafted by the New York Giants.</P>

RoanokeFan
05-29-2012, 07:00 PM
How could u include chad jones. He was on our roster for a couple yrs even tho it was questionable if hed even walk. We actually cut him almost he completed rehabbing not when he was in a hospital for half a year. Giants were extremely classy with him and i doubt alford would have a negative word to say about the giants either</p>

The single greatest thing that ever happened to Chad Jones was to be drafted by the New York Giants.</p>

+1 and you can bet they are rooting for him to make a comeback. He was only released because of roster space, not out of unconcern.

Drez
05-29-2012, 07:24 PM
How could u include chad jones. He was on our roster for a couple yrs even tho it was questionable if hed even walk. We actually cut him almost he completed rehabbing not when he was in a hospital for half a year. Giants were extremely classy with him and i doubt alford would have a negative word to say about the giants either</p>

The single greatest thing that ever happened to Chad Jones was to be drafted by the New York Giants.</p>
Seriously. The organization has paid his salary and all his bonuses, and have paid for his rehab. A lot of other teams just would have cut bait and let him fend for himself/

Pa1jintfan
05-29-2012, 08:24 PM
Ej,
Are you a giants fan.. I agree that smith should have been retained no matter what. But we made offers to these guys, they opted for more money, and therefore a new team every other year. So I will stick to my statement, we Draft very well, and we hold onto as much of our homegrown talent as economically possible.. I am a huge fan of everything we do. Just look at some teams like philthy who draft a new lineman every year and discard there picks after a few learning years, and then you have the raiders.... ENOUGH SAID!!!!!!!!!!!! ???????????

zimonami
05-29-2012, 08:28 PM
You younger Giant fans are definitely in an era where money talks, and business is business. It wasn't always quite so cut throat.
When I met my wife in '66 I was a devout Jet fan, and her aunt Jean was a devout Giant fan with season tickets going on their 23rd year. She didn't brag on the Gmen, she just told stories about Wellington, and his class and loyalty. She was totally correct. If not for Well suggesting revenue sharing to help the poorer market teams when he could have had the lion's share with CBS, the NFL would be very different today. It wasn't about money to him. Aunt Jean knew many Giant players personally, and told me how they loved Wellington, and the Giants. I slowly came to recognize that she was right... not biased, but right on... just fact
People like Roanoke and Morehead aren't biased in their opinion about the Giants... rather, they've seen dozens of NFL seasons... they've seen how the Giants conduct business, year after year, and they've seen how other teams conduct their business as well.
Overall, old time Giant fans are proud of this organization, and they are well justified in that feeling.
After 53 years of watching the NFL, I'm proud of my Giant team. There will never be another Wellington Mara, but his sons and the Tisch's do their best to uphold his legacy while recognizing that they must treat it as a business in order to compete in today's dog-eat-dog corporate life.
Chad Jones is typical of how they show respect for their own. He never played one minute for us... never even made it to one camp... yet the Giant organization treated him like family, and have pledged to stand behind him in his continuing efforts to rehab to NFL standards, even though they were forced to officially cut him.

Morehead State
05-29-2012, 08:49 PM
You younger Giant fans are definitely in an era where money talks, and business is business. It wasn't always quite so cut throat. When I met my wife in '66 I was a devout Jet fan, and her aunt Jean was a devout Giant fan with season tickets going on their 23rd year. She didn't brag on the Gmen, she just told stories about Wellington, and his class and loyalty. She was totally correct. If not for Well suggesting revenue sharing to help the poorer market teams when he could have had the lion's share with CBS, the NFL would be very different today. It wasn't about money to him. Aunt Jean knew many Giant players personally, and told me how they loved Wellington, and the Giants. I slowly came to recognize that she was right... not biased, but right on... just fact People like Roanoke and Morehead aren't biased in their opinion about the Giants... rather, they've seen dozens of NFL seasons... they've seen how the Giants conduct business, year after year, and they've seen how other teams conduct their business as well. Overall, old time Giant fans are proud of this organization, and they are well justified in that feeling. After 53 years of watching the NFL, I'm proud of my Giant team. There will never be another Wellington Mara, but his sons and the Tisch's do their best to uphold his legacy while recognizing that they must treat it as a business in order to compete in today's dog-eat-dog corporate life. Chad Jones is typical of how they show respect for their own. He never played one minute for us... never even made it to one camp... yet the Giant organization treated him like family, and have pledged to stand behind him in his continuing efforts to rehab to NFL standards, even though they were forced to officially cut him.</P>

The Mara's and the Rooney's are the best owners in football.</P>

What they did for Chad Jones was absolutely awesome.</P>

zimonami
05-29-2012, 09:08 PM
You younger Giant fans are definitely in an era where money talks, and business is business. It wasn't always quite so cut throat. When I met my wife in '66 I was a devout Jet fan, and her aunt Jean was a devout Giant fan with season tickets going on their 23rd year. She didn't brag on the Gmen, she just told stories about Wellington, and his class and loyalty. She was totally correct. If not for Well suggesting revenue sharing to help the poorer market teams when he could have had the lion's share with CBS, the NFL would be very different today. It wasn't about money to him. Aunt Jean knew many Giant players personally, and told me how they loved Wellington, and the Giants. I slowly came to recognize that she was right... not biased, but right on... just fact People like Roanoke and Morehead aren't biased in their opinion about the Giants... rather, they've seen dozens of NFL seasons... they've seen how the Giants conduct business, year after year, and they've seen how other teams conduct their business as well. Overall, old time Giant fans are proud of this organization, and they are well justified in that feeling. After 53 years of watching the NFL, I'm proud of my Giant team. There will never be another Wellington Mara, but his sons and the Tisch's do their best to uphold his legacy while recognizing that they must treat it as a business in order to compete in today's dog-eat-dog corporate life. Chad Jones is typical of how they show respect for their own. He never played one minute for us... never even made it to one camp... yet the Giant organization treated him like family, and have pledged to stand behind him in his continuing efforts to rehab to NFL standards, even though they were forced to officially cut him.</P>

Mara's and Rooney's connected... not a surprise:
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/01/the-rooney-mara-connection/
(Sorry... have to copy and paste the link)

RoanokeFan
05-29-2012, 09:10 PM
You younger Giant fans are definitely in an era where money talks, and business is business. It wasn't always quite so cut throat. When I met my wife in '66 I was a devout Jet fan, and her aunt Jean was a devout Giant fan with season tickets going on their 23rd year. She didn't brag on the Gmen, she just told stories about Wellington, and his class and loyalty. She was totally correct. If not for Well suggesting revenue sharing to help the poorer market teams when he could have had the lion's share with CBS, the NFL would be very different today. It wasn't about money to him. Aunt Jean knew many Giant players personally, and told me how they loved Wellington, and the Giants. I slowly came to recognize that she was right... not biased, but right on... just fact People like Roanoke and Morehead aren't biased in their opinion about the Giants... rather, they've seen dozens of NFL seasons... they've seen how the Giants conduct business, year after year, and they've seen how other teams conduct their business as well. Overall, old time Giant fans are proud of this organization, and they are well justified in that feeling. After 53 years of watching the NFL, I'm proud of my Giant team. There will never be another Wellington Mara, but his sons and the Tisch's do their best to uphold his legacy while recognizing that they must treat it as a business in order to compete in today's dog-eat-dog corporate life. Chad Jones is typical of how they show respect for their own. He never played one minute for us... never even made it to one camp... yet the Giant organization treated him like family, and have pledged to stand behind him in his continuing efforts to rehab to NFL standards, even though they were forced to officially cut him.</p>

The Mara's and the Rooney's are the best owners in football.</p>

What they did for Chad Jones was absolutely awesome.</p>

I often think of "Rooney Mara" and just smile. Talk about families that are bound together.

BeatYale
05-29-2012, 09:28 PM

Seriously. The organization has paid his salary and all his bonuses, and have paid for his rehab. A lot of other teams just would have cut bait and let him fend for himself/

Well he did restructure his deal, so the team got back some cap space. What they saved on-the-books they paid back off-the-books I guess.

Player's agents make sure they are insured. A career ending injury would mean his policy has to cover him for the length of an NFL career. That could end up being more lucrative for him because there's no guarantee that any player will succeed in the NFL to obtain a second contract from a team. He's still entitled to that if doctors say he's unable to play football because of his leg injury.

There's special policies for athletes that cover loss of value. E.g: Romo, during his contract year was making the league minimum, but he still decided to play without a new deal - because he had a 30 million dollar insurance policy. Not bad.

Morehead State
05-29-2012, 09:36 PM
How could u include chad jones. He was on our roster for a couple yrs even tho it was questionable if hed even walk. We actually cut him almost he completed rehabbing not when he was in a hospital for half a year. Giants were extremely classy with him and i doubt alford would have a negative word to say about the giants either</P>

The single greatest thing that ever happened to Chad Jones was to be drafted by the New York Giants.</P>

Well he did restructure his deal, so the team got back some cap space. What they saved on-the-books they paid back off-the-books I guess. Player's agents make sure they are insured. A career ending injury would mean his policy has to cover him for the length of an NFL career. That could end up being more lucrative for him because there's no guarantee that any player will succeed in the NFL to obtain a second contract from a team. He's still entitled to that if doctors say he's unable to play football because of his leg injury. There's special policies for athletes that cover loss of value. E.g: Romo, during his contract year was making the league minimum, but he still decided to play without a new deal - because he had a 30 million dollar insurance policy. Not bad.</P>

I would imagine that "football related" injuries would be covered by that. This kid never suited up.</P>

Drez
05-29-2012, 09:40 PM

Well he did restructure his deal, so the team got back some cap space. What they saved on-the-books they paid back off-the-books I guess.

Player's agents make sure they are insured. A career ending injury would mean his policy has to cover him for the length of an NFL career. That could end up being more lucrative for him because there's no guarantee that any player will succeed in the NFL to obtain a second contract from a team. He's still entitled to that if doctors say he's unable to play football because of his leg injury.

There's special policies for athletes that cover loss of value. E.g: Romo, during his contract year was making the league minimum, but he still decided to play without a new deal - because he had a 30 million dollar insurance policy. Not bad.
Most of those guarantees only apply if a player is hurt during a football activity. Horrific car accidents before a player ever dons the uniform are not typically covered. You wouldn't get workers comp if you got into a car accident on vacation, would you?

The Giants could have released Jones and probably sued and gotten back all bonus money had they seen fit to do so.

But, the fact of the matter is they did not. They kept him on payroll and paid his signing bonus. Surem they may have renegotiated his deal, but considering that he had a 0% chance of playing, I think it's more than fair that they asked him to redo it. They have also paid for his rehab and are continuing to do so even after officially cutting him. That is definitely going above and beyond.

giantsfan420
05-29-2012, 11:20 PM

Most of those guarantees only apply if a player is hurt during a football activity. Horrific car accidents before a player ever dons the uniform are not typically covered. You wouldn't get workers comp if you got into a car accident on vacation, would you?

The Giants could have released Jones and probably sued and gotten back all bonus money had they seen fit to do so.

But, the fact of the matter is they did not. They kept him on payroll and paid his signing bonus. Surem they may have renegotiated his deal, but considering that he had a 0% chance of playing, I think it's more than fair that they asked him to redo it. They have also paid for his rehab and are continuing to do so even after officially cutting him. That is definitely going above and beyond.

Woah...thats the definition of above and beyond. I didnt even know about them STILL paying for his rehab after cutting him...my mind is saying thats impossible but the giants have gone abobe and beyond in every way possible so why doubt that.

Thats expensive as heck too the rehab and hospital/surgical costs. The giants basically donated millions to a person who nearly lost his leg and life...

This is what makes the giants the best organization in sports in my eyes

MattMeyerBud
05-30-2012, 09:10 AM

How could u include chad jones. He was on our roster for a couple yrs even tho it was questionable if hed even walk. We actually cut him almost he completed rehabbing not when he was in a hospital for half a year. Giants were extremely classy with him and i doubt alford would have a negative word to say about the giants either

I agree

two bad examples

Alford had a bad injury in which he never really played football again. He got on wtih the Raiders and Seahawks and got cut shortly after

They gave alot of time to chad jones

MattMeyerBud
05-30-2012, 09:12 AM

+1 and you can bet they are rooting for him to make a comeback.* He was only released because of roster space, not out of unconcern.

+1

MattMeyerBud
05-30-2012, 09:13 AM

"dozens" of seasons is quite complimentry for ol moorehead

Morehead State
05-30-2012, 09:21 AM

"dozens" of seasons is quite complimentry for ol moorehead</P>

Lets just call it 'many dozens' and leave it at that.</P>

zimonami
05-30-2012, 10:33 AM

Lets just call it* *'many dozens'** and leave it at that.</P>
lmao... yes, I was being diplomatic, but I truly don't know anyone's real age and I'm 65 and have been watching NFL for 4.5 dozen years. The point was that there are peeps on here who have seen our team operate forever, and know our M.O.. I was going to include MMB and Drez as ones I thought might be included because their knowledge about our past is pretty good... but, they might be 25 for all I know.
Just this... some of our youger peeps don't know our past, and are impatient, and see a roster move and think we're cold hearted. Yes, we can be, and yes we have been... but there's more to the story.

MattMeyerBud
05-30-2012, 12:02 PM

lmao... yes, I was being diplomatic, but I truly don't know anyone's real age and I'm 65 and have been watching NFL for 4.5 dozen years. The point was that there are peeps on here who have seen our team operate forever, and know our M.O.. I was going to include MMB and Drez as ones I thought might be included because their knowledge about our past is pretty good... but, they might be 25 for all I know.
Just this... some of our youger peeps don't know our past, and are impatient, and see a roster move and think we're cold hearted. Yes, we can be, and yes we have been... but there's more to the story.

i'm 28...

and a half

Morehead State
05-30-2012, 12:08 PM

lmao... yes, I was being diplomatic, but I truly don't know anyone's real age and I'm 65 and have been watching NFL for 4.5 dozen years. The point was that there are peeps on here who have seen our team operate forever, and know our M.O.. I was going to include MMB and Drez as ones I thought might be included because their knowledge about our past is pretty good... but, they might be 25 for all I know. Just this... some of our youger peeps don't know our past, and are impatient, and see a roster move and think we're cold hearted. Yes, we can be, and yes we have been... but there's more to the story. i'm 28... and a half</P>

OMG Matt! You're the exact same age as my twin Step-Daughters.</P>

Hahaha!!!!</P>

MattMeyerBud
05-30-2012, 12:14 PM

lmao... yes, I was being diplomatic, but I truly don't know anyone's real age and I'm 65 and have been watching NFL for 4.5 dozen years. The point was that there are peeps on here who have seen our team operate forever, and know our M.O.. I was going to include MMB and Drez as ones I thought might be included because their knowledge about our past is pretty good... but, they might be 25 for all I know. Just this... some of our youger peeps don't know our past, and are impatient, and see a roster move and think we're cold hearted. Yes, we can be, and yes we have been... but there's more to the story. i'm 28... and a half</P>

OMG Matt!* You're the exact same age as my twin Step-Daughters.</P>

Hahaha!!!!</P>

oh trust me... i know ;)

Morehead State
05-30-2012, 12:26 PM

Hahaha!!!!</P>

oh trust me... i know ;)</P>

According to your FB page, you are 27 and a half.</P>

MattMeyerBud
05-30-2012, 12:30 PM

Hahaha!!!!</P>

According to your FB page, you are 27*********** and a half.</P>

stalker

was a typo

Morehead State
05-30-2012, 01:48 PM

Hahaha!!!!</P>

According to your FB page, you are 27 and a half.</P>

stalker was a typo</P>

I was wondering since most people actually know their own age.</P>

gmen46
05-30-2012, 02:04 PM

Hahaha!!!!</P>

stalker

was a typo

He who joins Face Book voluntarily....
Cannot a stalker victim be

Jump into the SM pool if you must...
But forfeit all confidence in who you trust

Convenient, Face Book may be...
But at what cost, Privacy?

RoanokeFan
05-30-2012, 02:12 PM
You younger Giant fans are definitely in an era where money talks, and business is business. It wasn't always quite so cut throat. When I met my wife in '66 I was a devout Jet fan, and her aunt Jean was a devout Giant fan with season tickets going on their 23rd year. She didn't brag on the Gmen, she just told stories about Wellington, and his class and loyalty. She was totally correct. If not for Well suggesting revenue sharing to help the poorer market teams when he could have had the lion's share with CBS, the NFL would be very different today. It wasn't about money to him. Aunt Jean knew many Giant players personally, and told me how they loved Wellington, and the Giants. I slowly came to recognize that she was right... not biased, but right on... just fact People like Roanoke and Morehead aren't biased in their opinion about the Giants... rather, they've seen dozens of NFL seasons... they've seen how the Giants conduct business, year after year, and they've seen how other teams conduct their business as well. Overall, old time Giant fans are proud of this organization, and they are well justified in that feeling. After 53 years of watching the NFL, I'm proud of my Giant team. There will never be another Wellington Mara, but his sons and the Tisch's do their best to uphold his legacy while recognizing that they must treat it as a business in order to compete in today's dog-eat-dog corporate life. Chad Jones is typical of how they show respect for their own. He never played one minute for us... never even made it to one camp... yet the Giant organization treated him like family, and have pledged to stand behind him in his continuing efforts to rehab to NFL standards, even though they were forced to officially cut him.</p>

"dozens" of seasons is quite complimentry for ol moorehead</p>

Lets just call it 'many dozens' and leave it at that.</p>

lmao... yes, I was being diplomatic, but I truly don't know anyone's real age and I'm 65 and have been watching NFL for 4.5 dozen years. The point was that there are peeps on here who have seen our team operate forever, and know our M.O.. I was going to include MMB and Drez as ones I thought might be included because their knowledge about our past is pretty good... but, they might be 25 for all I know. Just this... some of our youger peeps don't know our past, and are impatient, and see a roster move and think we're cold hearted. Yes, we can be, and yes we have been... but there's more to the story. i'm 28... and a half</p>

OMG Matt! You're the exact same age as my twin Step-Daughters.</p>

Hahaha!!!!</p>

oh trust me... i know ;)</p>

According to your FB page, you are 27 and a half.</p>

stalker was a typo</p>

I was wondering since most people actually know their own age.</p>

You are clearly only speaking or chronological age, yes? Emotional age is a whole 'nother issue [;)]

zimonami
05-30-2012, 02:26 PM

Hahaha!!!!</P>

stalker was a typo</P>

+1

lmao... I never check anyone's profile because who knows who's lying or truthing. I don't really care as long as the board member isn't an Ahole.
Some peeps don't know crap about 5-10 years ago cuz they're too young, and don't care to know. Some, like MMB (if we can believe 28-1/2), are pretty knowedgeable about the Giant past even thought they're young. When I was 28.5 I thought I was pretty old. I was 37 when MMB was born. Geeeeez. I'm ready for the pasture. Take a deep breath and enjoy every minute, because you'll be 65 in a blink, and I'll be pushing daisies. In fact, after 2007 I was thinking that I'd like to see at least one more SB victory, Now that that has happened I feel greedy asking for more.

Drez
05-30-2012, 02:42 PM

"dozens" of seasons is quite complimentry for ol moorehead</p>

Lets just call it 'many dozens' and leave it at that.</p>
Just to sate your curiosity, I'm 35 (well, in about a month that is)... Been watching since the mid-80's. I've gotten plenty of history from lurking and participating on here.

So, my dry spell was the he-who-shall-not-be-named-and-Reeves era and the inconsistency of the Fassel era. Nothing like the 70's, I know, but it's enough to realize how sweet we really have it right now to know that we have as good a shot as any team to make it to and win a SB every year.

You can also tell from just paying attention to how other teams do things and hear what players have to say about their former teams that the Giants are among the class of the NFL in how they treat their players and staff. Of course, the FO and owners are going to butt heads with the occasional player or staff member, that is just the nature of life.

MattMeyerBud
05-31-2012, 12:09 PM

Hahaha!!!!</P>

stalker

was a typo

way too deep for me

was just breaking the guys balls

MattMeyerBud
05-31-2012, 12:10 PM

Hahaha!!!!</P>

stalker was a typo</P>

+1

lmao... I never check anyone's profile because who knows who's lying or truthing. I don't really care as long as the board member isn't an Ahole.
Some peeps don't know crap about 5-10 years ago cuz they're too young, and don't care to know. Some, like MMB (if we can believe 28-1/2), are pretty knowedgeable about the Giant past even thought they're young. When I was 28.5 I thought I was pretty old. I was 37 when MMB was born. Geeeeez. I'm ready for the pasture. Take a deep breath and enjoy every minute, because you'll be 65 in a blink, and I'll be pushing daisies. In fact, after 2007 I was thinking that I'd like to see at least one more SB victory, Now that that has happened I feel greedy asking for more.

well u dont type a day over 40

gmen46
06-02-2012, 03:07 AM

Hahaha!!!!</P>

stalker

was a typo

way too deep for me

was just breaking the guys balls

I know you were. My inner "poet" came out for a moment and I apologize (also, i admit I have issues with Facebook, so........).

Rat_bastich
06-02-2012, 03:52 AM

This actually goes for the point of a classy organization though not Alford. The Giants could have parted ways with Chad Jones immediately after the accident but they paid for his medical and even brought him to New York to help in rehabilitation. The only other team I could have seen doing that would probably have been the Steelers who are also a very classy organization...at least their front office is.

AllTuckedUp
06-02-2012, 08:39 AM
Yet everyone "hates" us...

everyone hates winners

Redeyejedi
06-02-2012, 09:07 AM

</P>

Victor Cruz is a perfect example.* Got hurt after being an undrafted FA and kept him on the team.* And now he's saying that "hold out" isn't part of his vocabulary.</P>

And the best example was Chad Jones.* It was always very doubtful that he would ever play football, yet the Giants paid him and paid for all his surgeries that has helped him come to be able to lead a normal life.* There was no self interest in that decision.* And i can't think of a better gift for the kid to get from our team.</P>

*</P>They kept him because they thought he was good not because they were loyal.Victor Cruz has played 1 season it would be ridiculous for him to hold out, I Guarantee he does if he has another big year.
Chad Jones is a completely different story. Most NFL teams would not of put the time and work into keeping Chad around. Very Little chance they get any return on that. Definitely a selfless move. 1 of the nicest gestures Ive seen from any Pro franchise in any sport

Giants10EM
06-02-2012, 09:28 AM

You're kidding right? Cast Chad Jones to the side? They paid probalby hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of medical bills, and stuck with him through rehab for TWO YEARS. FOR A PLAYER THEY KNEW WAS UNLIKELY TO EVER STEP FOOT ON A FOOTBALL FIELD AGAIN! Not to mention i believe I read that they are still going to help him with rehab. casting aside...pffffff.