PDA

View Full Version : 1990 NFC Championship vs. 2011 NFC Championship....

Cool Papa B.
05-29-2012, 12:50 PM
Both games were great, well-played, smash-mouth defensive battles. BUT which game do you think was better? Which game was better played?; which one was more exciting; and which one was your favorite.

I've thought about this, and I give a very slight edge to the 1990 NFCCG. Only because of the Marshall hit on Montana, and Sumerall call of "There Will Be No 3-Peat!" But 2011 awesome too.

What do you guys think?

BigBlue1971
05-29-2012, 01:00 PM
Both games were great, well-played, smash-mouth defensive battles. BUT which game do you think was better? Which game was better played?; which one was more exciting; and which one was your favorite. I've thought about this, and I give a very slight edge to the 1990 NFCCG. Only because of the Marshall hit on Montana, and Sumerall call of "There Will Be No 3-Peat!" But 2011 awesome too. What do you guys think?</P>

</P>

there were big plays in both games but im with you on the 90 game being my favorite!</P>

both games were won on turnoves by the 9ers but the 90 game also had the Gary Reasons fake punt run; the Marshall hit; theEric Howard hit on Roger Craig and the LT recovered fumble from that hit!</P>

also noteworthy for me in the 90 game was Matt Bahrs 5 field goals to win 15-12! </P>

JJC7301
05-29-2012, 01:09 PM
Have to go with 1990 for the reasons listed above, but also the quality of the respective teams.

And not only did the Giants prevent the 3-peat, but did it with a back-up QB and RB.

Cool Papa B.
05-29-2012, 01:13 PM
Both games were great, well-played, smash-mouth defensive battles. BUT which game do you think was better? Which game was better played?; which one was more exciting; and which one was your favorite. I've thought about this, and I give a very slight edge to the 1990 NFCCG. Only because of the Marshall hit on Montana, and Sumerall call of "There Will Be No 3-Peat!" But 2011 awesome too. What do you guys think?</P>

*</P>

there were big plays in both games but im with you on the 90 game being my favorite!</P>

but games were won on turnoves by the 9ers but the 90 game also had the Gary Reasons fake punt run; the Marshall hit; the*Eric Howard hit on Roger Craig and the LT recovered fumble from that hit!</P>

also noteworthy for me in the 90 game was Matt Bahrs 5 field goals to win 15-12!* </P>

I was nervous as heck before that last FG. Bahr had missed the previous one from a closer distance and I afraid he would miss it.

rebelfan1966
05-29-2012, 01:16 PM
I was a huge Montana fan back when he played..... so I am going with the 2011 team : )

G-Man67
05-29-2012, 01:30 PM
well the 1990 championship game was a party for us from the word go and whilewe Giants fans will refer to it as a classic ... nobody else would</P>

whereas the SF game was a true classic ... in fact the only thing that probably diminishes the level of classic it was ... is that people were/are still not sold on Alex Smith and we were only 9-7 (well 11-7)</P>

and i know i was in agony for a good portion of the game ... it wasn't until the OT kick was on its way that i could truly celebrate</P>

rebelfan1966
05-29-2012, 02:06 PM
well the 1990 championship game was a party for us from the word go and while*we Giants fans will refer to it as a classic ... nobody else would</P>

whereas the SF game was a true classic ... in fact the only thing that probably diminishes the level of classic it was ... is that people were/are still not sold on Alex Smith and we were only 9-7 (well 11-7)</P>

and i know i was in agony for a good portion of the game ... it wasn't until the OT kick was on its way that i could truly celebrate</P>

+1

Toadofsteel
05-29-2012, 02:13 PM
I was only two years old for the 1990 game. So I only really remember last year's game. It's definitely one of the most epic games I've witnessed though...

GMENAGAIN
05-29-2012, 02:50 PM
The 1990 NFCCG was one of my favorite Giants games of all time . . . . ranks right after the SB victories as far as I am concerned. </P>

2011 was great too, but just a tick below 1990's game . . . . . .</P>

JMFP2
05-29-2012, 02:57 PM
Have to go with 1990 for the reasons listed above, but also the quality of the respective teams. And not only did the Giants prevent the 3-peat, but did it with a back-up QB and RB.</P>

Very good points.</P>

I think I'll need a few years before I can judge either way....I'm still stoked about last year.</P>

Zoboomafoo
05-29-2012, 04:47 PM
The 2011 game was a 2-2.5 spread -- after deducting the 3 points for HFA, that meant that the Giants were viewed as the better team on a neutral field.

In 1990, the Giants were facing a dynastic 49ers team led by HOFer Joe Montana with a backup QB, and a game they were not supposed to win. It was a nail biter from start to finish and had so many game turning plays. Until SBXXV and SBXLII, the 1990 NFC Championship game was the biggest post season upset pulled off by the Giants.

It was exhilarating to watch the Giants beat the Niners in 1990 because they had three-peat shirts printed up in SF. 2011 was more like a relief because I actually expected a blow out.

keyofgmen
05-29-2012, 04:47 PM
1986 NFCCG!! OH, sorry..that wasn't an option.

Cool Papa B.
05-29-2012, 05:02 PM
On an execution point of view and quality of game, I give the edge to 2011. Both teams played stellar defense- Giants allowed just 1 3rd down conversion in the game and that 1 was at the end of regulation.

But 1990 was the greater upset.

NYG 5
05-29-2012, 05:14 PM
1990 Game. cmon, its was an old Giants team going into the Dynasty's house with a backup QB and coming out on top. the Craig fumble was nice, but the Giants made a lot of plays, including ending the GOAT's 49er career. plus, there were a bunch of HOF players on both teams.

2011, eh, the kid fumbling twice gave the game away. the Manningham TD was great, but otherwise the game was just about Eli getting belted every play and not making bad play, the 49ers playing turtle offense. the was a cool elemental factor, and there was the revenge ploy with avenging the Botched Snap with Williams Wipe, and averting Botched Snap II with Weatherford's great hold. i think the game came down to the Giants not ****ing up, with the 49ers making the critical, necessary **** up.

SweetZombieJesus
05-29-2012, 05:54 PM
I'd say the context of the 49ers being 2 wins away from a 3-peat and the drama of us being on our backup QB makes it the better story.

JJC7301
05-29-2012, 09:33 PM
Have to go with 1990 for the reasons listed above, but also the quality of the respective teams. And not only did the Giants prevent the 3-peat, but did it with a back-up QB and RB.</P>

Very good points.</P>

I think I'll need a few years before I can judge either way....I'm still stoked about last year.</P>
Oh believe me -- no hating on the '11 game at all. Awesome game. But for me, regarding the '90 game, it was like a clash of two titans.

Roswell777
05-29-2012, 10:12 PM
On the highlight reel of the 1990 game there's a great reaction shot of big Leonard Marshall after the Bahr field goal went thru as time ran out.

Unbelievably great championship game.

miked1958
05-29-2012, 11:09 PM

*</P>

both games were won on turnoves by the 9ers but the 90 game also had the Gary Reasons fake punt run; the Marshall hit; the*Eric Howard hit on Roger Craig and the LT recovered fumble from that hit!</P>

also noteworthy for me in the 90 game was Matt Bahrs 5 field goals to win 15-12!* </P>Pretty sure the niners were running down and milking the clock up by 1 point 13-12. After the LT recovery we went down and kicked the winning FG as time expired to win 15-13.. Wasn't a tie game of 12-12 when we kicked

Manstache
05-30-2012, 12:24 AM
Both games were great, well-played, smash-mouth defensive battles. BUT which game do you think was better? Which game was better played?; which one was more exciting; and which one was your favorite.

I've thought about this, and I give a very slight edge to the 1990 NFCCG. Only because of the Marshall hit on Montana, and Sumerall call of "There Will Be No 3-Peat!" But 2011 awesome too.

What do you guys think?1990, just because of the caliber of team the 9'ers were. a bona fide dynasty with arguably the greatest field general in history, and neither 1 has been the same since that streetfight we came away standing victorious from.

Jon6777
05-30-2012, 01:33 AM
well the 1990 championship game was a party for us from the word go and while*we Giants fans will refer to it as a classic ... nobody else would</P>

+1

I was at work and had to listen to the game on radio.
+100

BlueSanta
05-30-2012, 10:58 AM
Gotta go with 1990.

You have the marshal hit.

The Gary Reasons fake punt with the point

The Howard forced fumble and LT recovery.

Those 3 plays give it the edge.

BluTri10
05-30-2012, 11:49 AM
I was 7 years old for the game.

Matt Bahr was my dad's roommate on the Penn State soccer team...he also played professionally for my grandfather for the Pennsylvania Stoners soccer team before leaving for the NFL.

That 1990 championship will always hold a special place in my heart. I remember my dad telling me "He's cool under pressure, don't worry...he'll make it..."

11 months later, my youngest brother was born...and we named him Matt after Matt Bahr!

Go GIANTS! :-)

PoloGroundsFan
05-30-2012, 12:13 PM
It was 15-13 which made the kick that much more exciting, miss and you go home make it and you go to Tampa. </P>

Since I went to that SB even more exciting!</P>

BigBlue1971
05-30-2012, 12:31 PM

</P>

both games were won on turnoves by the 9ers but the 90 game also had the Gary Reasons fake punt run; the Marshall hit; theEric Howard hit on Roger Craig and the LT recovered fumble from that hit!</P>

also noteworthy for me in the 90 game was Matt Bahrs 5 field goals to win 15-12! </P>

Pretty sure the niners were running down and milking the clock up by 1 point 13-12. After the LT recovery we went down and kicked the winning FG as time expired to win 15-13.. Wasn't a tie game of 12-12 when we kicked</P>

</P>

i stand corrected! 15-13 was the final score. i apologize for that typo!</P>

miked1958
05-31-2012, 02:02 AM

*</P>

both games were won on turnoves by the 9ers but the 90 game also had the Gary Reasons fake punt run; the Marshall hit; the*Eric Howard hit on Roger Craig and the LT recovered fumble from that hit!</P>

also noteworthy for me in the 90 game was Matt Bahrs 5 field goals to win 15-12!* </P>

Pretty sure the niners were running down and milking the clock up by 1 point 13-12. After the LT recovery we went down and kicked the winning FG as time expired to win 15-13.. Wasn't a tie game of 12-12 when we kicked</P>

*</P>

i stand corrected!* 15-13 was the final score.* i apologize for that typo!</P>No big deal! When you have a record like we do in NFCCGs it's easy to mix up some of the wins!

Redeyejedi
05-31-2012, 09:12 AM
1990 because how good that 49er team was. Id say the 2011 game was better although it might be because its fresher in my mind and i wasnt 9

moecoastie
05-31-2012, 04:36 PM
without a doubt....the 1990 game. The Niners were a DYNASTY. Much like the Patriots but better in the sense that they were 2x running champs and only dwarfed by the Patriots undefeated season.

I was 12 y/o living in Hawaii (9ers country). My best friend and I hurried back to the house after church to watch his fav team vs my fav team. After the final field goal my friend cried...literally cried. These recent youtube videos dont have nothing on what I witnessed that day.

Needless to say, my friend would have his revenge years later in an EPIC Giant collapse.