It's the year of the Tiger

CGYgiant
05-30-2012, 11:11 AM
GO ALOUETTES!!!!boooooool!

that would be day the day. smh

Bohemian
05-30-2012, 12:23 PM
Not a fan.. not a fan at all. I used to be back in the day. Toronto, Calgary, Vancouver and Montreal should be NFL expansion teams. The mentioned cities are great places with lots to offer, and the CFL is way too small for them. Let the CFL deal with Saskatchewan and Manitoba... even Hamilton and Edmonton (have you ever been in Edmonton? As much as I am okay with the city, it is way too far north).

That league should expand to the east coast. Places like Halifax would do well, or bring a team on-shore in Labrador. But it is clear that the big cities are wasting their time in the league, and the Maritime zone are being could be successful there.

That league really needs to change its landscape, because the NFL makes to much sense in Toronto and Montreal at the very least.

Quebec is a hotbed of football in Canada, and Toronto is too wealthy to not be an attractive market.

THE_New_York_Giants
05-30-2012, 06:30 PM
Not a fan.. not a fan at all.* I used to be back in the day.* Toronto, Calgary, Vancouver and Montreal should be NFL expansion teams.* The mentioned cities are great places with lots to offer, and the CFL is way too small for them.* Let the CFL deal with Saskatchewan and Manitoba... even Hamilton and Edmonton (have you ever been in Edmonton? As much as I am okay with the city, it is way too far north).

That league should expand to the east coast.* Places like Halifax would do well, or bring a team on-shore in Labrador.* But it is clear that the big cities are wasting their time in the league, and the Maritime zone are being could be successful there.

That league really needs to change its landscape, because the NFL makes to much sense in Toronto and Montreal at the very least.

Quebec is a hotbed of football in Canada, and Toronto is too wealthy to not be an attractive market.

Canadian football is huge in Canada. Not as big as hockey, but it is a second, It is a completely different game than American football.

They are expanding to Ottawa. They should get a team in Halifax, St. John's, Quebec City, London, Saskatoon, Fredericton.

In fact, I think the NHL needs to move the Panthers, Stars, Coyotes, and Blue Jackets to Regina, Quebec City or Fredericton, Halifax, and St. John's.

THE_New_York_Giants
05-30-2012, 06:30 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHA The Tigers suck. Anthony Calvillo is the greatest QB ever man.

bandwgn86
05-30-2012, 10:36 PM
Not a fan.. not a fan at all.* I used to be back in the day.* Toronto, Calgary, Vancouver and Montreal should be NFL expansion teams.* The mentioned cities are great places with lots to offer, and the CFL is way too small for them.* Let the CFL deal with Saskatchewan and Manitoba... even Hamilton and Edmonton (have you ever been in Edmonton? As much as I am okay with the city, it is way too far north).

That league should expand to the east coast.* Places like Halifax would do well, or bring a team on-shore in Labrador.* But it is clear that the big cities are wasting their time in the league, and the Maritime zone are being could be successful there.

Canadian football is huge in Canada. Not as big as hockey, but it is a second, It is a completely different game than American football.

They are expanding to Ottawa. They should get a team in Halifax, St. John's, Quebec City, London, Saskatoon, Fredericton.

In fact, I think the NHL needs to move the Panthers, Stars, Coyotes, and Blue Jackets to Regina, Quebec City or Fredericton, Halifax, and St. John's.i think Bohemian is from Toronto, they hate everything Canadian. Lol

Hamilton would love a hockey team too ;)

bandwgn86
05-30-2012, 10:41 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHA The Tigers suck. Anthony Calvillo is the greatest QB ever man.We're winning the cup..I've already got my Grey Cup tickets..

Bohemian
05-31-2012, 01:55 AM
Not a fan.. not a fan at all. I used to be back in the day. Toronto, Calgary, Vancouver and Montreal should be NFL expansion teams. The mentioned cities are great places with lots to offer, and the CFL is way too small for them. Let the CFL deal with Saskatchewan and Manitoba... even Hamilton and Edmonton (have you ever been in Edmonton? As much as I am okay with the city, it is way too far north).

That league should expand to the east coast. Places like Halifax would do well, or bring a team on-shore in Labrador. But it is clear that the big cities are wasting their time in the league, and the Maritime zone are being could be successful there.

In fact, I think the NHL needs to move the Panthers, Stars, Coyotes, and Blue Jackets to Regina, Quebec City or Fredericton, Halifax, and St. John's.i think Bohemian is from Toronto, they hate everything Canadian. Lol

I lived in Ottawa for years, and I used to lived next door to the stadium (literally within a five minute walk), and it is the worst stadium that I have ever set foot on. I do live in the Toronto area now, but that has not changed anything about my feelings about the league. Toronto is a tough sports market, where people want the best that the world has to offer, and knowing that the NFL exists is on everyone's mind while being told to watch a second rate league take the field at the Roger Centre... I have been to my share of Argonaut games, but there is no way that people would take that over a local NFL franchise.

I do think that Hamilton should get a NHL team, and if it was up to me, they could just take the joke that is the Leafs... that franchise is a joke, it is the hockey version of the Chicago Cubs. Hamilton does not deserve that bad of a franchise when I think of it... their Bulldogs would have a better record if they played in the NHL... but I digress, I should be focusing on the 'great' CFL.

Toronto is a world class city, and it deserves world class entertainment... and the CFL is certainly not world class. It is a nice experience for tourists who have never witnessed a game, and would like to experience a little bit of what once filled exhibition stadium during the stone age, but it is merely a spec of what a full blown NFL event can provide.

I do respect the history and legacy of the CFL, as it is a league that was ahead of the NFL in dealing with the discrimination of black players like Warren Moon, and reviving careers like those of Doug Fluttie... but even those significant contributions are now enough to argue for keeping word class venues without world class football.

The Maritimes should certainly have their CFL franchise or two. Halifax would be a lock, as they are football crazy over there. Fredericton would also seem like a good location. They could take the Argos and the Stamps, and let Calgary and Toronto develop NFL venues. The west coast loves its CFL, very true, but Calgarians are not dumb.... and for the Albertan CFL fans, they will always have the Eskies to cheer.

I do feel that Vancouver would be a good place for an NFL team, but having Seatle so close does present problems... plus the NBA experiment was an absolute disaster. Calgary seems to be a safer choice. Calgary is a gorgeous city (I highly recommend visiting it) and would be greatly upgraded with a NFL franchise.

About the CFL expanding to Ottawa (again)... that would be the third time, and knowing Ottawa extremely well... as I lived for over a decade there, Ottawa does not have the culture for it, and like I mentioned before... they have a horrible stadium... which space is being transformed to become a giant mall (another lame idea for such a beautiful area of town). I know Ottawa much better than I do Toronto, and I can tell you that Ottawa folks don't care for the CFL, or football for that matter. I loved living in Ottawa, and I would return in a heart beat, but it is not a good sports town at all. The junior hockey team is well supported, but mainly because it is a winning program with very affordable prices... and their arena is next door to the crappy football stadium. If you go to watch a university football game in Ottawa you will laugh, as no one goes to them. Love Ottawa, just not for football.

I don't even know what would come across anyone's mind to bring up London (Ontario) as a possible CFL venue. With Hamilton and Toronto next door, there would be no reason to stay there, when one could hang out in the Toronto streets taking the city before and after a game. London could take the Argos, then I would be all for that idea... regardless of how well London does with the CFL... I just want to see the Argos go and leave town.... just like the Rough Riders/Renegades did in Ottawa.

THE_New_York_Giants
05-31-2012, 04:05 PM

I lived in Ottawa for years, and I used to lived next door to the stadium (literally within a five minute walk), and it is the worst stadium that I have ever set foot on.* I do live in the Toronto area now, but that has not changed anything about my feelings about the league.* Toronto is a tough sports market, where people want the best that the world has to offer, and knowing that the NFL exists is on everyone's mind while being told to watch a second rate league take the field at the Roger Centre... I have been to my share of Argonaut games, but there is no way that people would take that over a local NFL franchise.

I do think that Hamilton should get a NHL team, and if it was up to me, they could just take the joke that is the Leafs... that franchise is a joke, it is the hockey version of the Chicago Cubs.* Hamilton does not deserve that bad of a franchise when I think of it... their Bulldogs would have a better record if they played in the NHL... but I digress, I should be focusing on the 'great' CFL.

Toronto is a world class city, and it deserves world class entertainment... and the CFL is certainly not world class.* It is a nice experience for tourists who have never witnessed a game, and would like to experience a little bit of what once filled exhibition stadium during the stone age, but it is merely a spec of what a full blown NFL event can provide.*

I do respect the history and legacy of the CFL, as it is a league that was ahead of the NFL in dealing with the discrimination of black players like Warren Moon, and reviving careers like those of Doug Fluttie... but even those significant contributions are now enough to argue for keeping word class venues without world class football.

The Maritimes should certainly have their CFL franchise or two.* Halifax would be a lock, as they are football crazy over there.* Fredericton would also seem like a good location.* They could take the Argos and the Stamps, and let Calgary and Toronto develop NFL venues.* The west coast loves its CFL, very true, but Calgarians are not dumb.... and for the Albertan CFL fans, they will always have the Eskies to cheer.*

I do feel that Vancouver would be a good place for an NFL team, but having Seatle so close does present problems... plus the NBA experiment was an absolute disaster.* Calgary seems to be a safer choice.* Calgary is a gorgeous city (I highly recommend visiting it) and would be greatly upgraded with a NFL franchise.

About the CFL expanding to Ottawa (again)... that would be the third time, and knowing Ottawa extremely well... as I lived for over a decade there, Ottawa does not have the culture for it, and like I mentioned before... they have a horrible stadium... which space is being transformed to become a giant mall (another lame idea for such a beautiful area of town).* I know Ottawa much better than I do Toronto, and I can tell you that Ottawa folks don't care for the CFL, or football for that matter.* I loved living in Ottawa, and I would return in a heart beat, but it is not a good sports town at all.* The junior hockey team is well supported, but mainly because it is a winning program with very affordable prices... and their arena is next door to the crappy football stadium.* If you go to watch a university football game in Ottawa you will laugh, as no one goes to them.* Love Ottawa, just not for football.

I don't even know what would come across anyone's mind to bring up London (Ontario) as a possible CFL venue.* With Hamilton and Toronto next door, there would be no reason to stay there, when one could hang out in the Toronto streets taking the city before and after a game.* London could take the Argos, then I would be all for that idea... regardless of how well London does with the CFL... I just want to see the Argos go and leave town.... just like the Rough Riders/Renegades did in Ottawa.

I see your points. It's still a fun one to watch and follow during the summer IMO. I go to about 2 Als games a year.

bandwgn86
05-31-2012, 05:50 PM
"fun to watch"

yup!

Bohemian
05-31-2012, 10:14 PM

I lived in Ottawa for years, and I used to lived next door to the stadium (literally within a five minute walk), and it is the worst stadium that I have ever set foot on. I do live in the Toronto area now, but that has not changed anything about my feelings about the league. Toronto is a tough sports market, where people want the best that the world has to offer, and knowing that the NFL exists is on everyone's mind while being told to watch a second rate league take the field at the Roger Centre... I have been to my share of Argonaut games, but there is no way that people would take that over a local NFL franchise.

I do think that Hamilton should get a NHL team, and if it was up to me, they could just take the joke that is the Leafs... that franchise is a joke, it is the hockey version of the Chicago Cubs. Hamilton does not deserve that bad of a franchise when I think of it... their Bulldogs would have a better record if they played in the NHL... but I digress, I should be focusing on the 'great' CFL.

Toronto is a world class city, and it deserves world class entertainment... and the CFL is certainly not world class. It is a nice experience for tourists who have never witnessed a game, and would like to experience a little bit of what once filled exhibition stadium during the stone age, but it is merely a spec of what a full blown NFL event can provide.

The Maritimes should certainly have their CFL franchise or two. Halifax would be a lock, as they are football crazy over there. Fredericton would also seem like a good location. They could take the Argos and the Stamps, and let Calgary and Toronto develop NFL venues. The west coast loves its CFL, very true, but Calgarians are not dumb.... and for the Albertan CFL fans, they will always have the Eskies to cheer.

I do feel that Vancouver would be a good place for an NFL team, but having Seatle so close does present problems... plus the NBA experiment was an absolute disaster. Calgary seems to be a safer choice. Calgary is a gorgeous city (I highly recommend visiting it) and would be greatly upgraded with a NFL franchise.

About the CFL expanding to Ottawa (again)... that would be the third time, and knowing Ottawa extremely well... as I lived for over a decade there, Ottawa does not have the culture for it, and like I mentioned before... they have a horrible stadium... which space is being transformed to become a giant mall (another lame idea for such a beautiful area of town). I know Ottawa much better than I do Toronto, and I can tell you that Ottawa folks don't care for the CFL, or football for that matter. I loved living in Ottawa, and I would return in a heart beat, but it is not a good sports town at all. The junior hockey team is well supported, but mainly because it is a winning program with very affordable prices... and their arena is next door to the crappy football stadium. If you go to watch a university football game in Ottawa you will laugh, as no one goes to them. Love Ottawa, just not for football.

I don't even know what would come across anyone's mind to bring up London (Ontario) as a possible CFL venue. With Hamilton and Toronto next door, there would be no reason to stay there, when one could hang out in the Toronto streets taking the city before and after a game. London could take the Argos, then I would be all for that idea... regardless of how well London does with the CFL... I just want to see the Argos go and leave town.... just like the Rough Riders/Renegades did in Ottawa.

I see your points. It's still a fun one to watch and follow during the summer IMO. I go to about 2 Als games a year.

It is impossible to beat Montreal as a sports town. What an amazing city! Perhaps the best in all of Canada, and it is one of the few places that I would leave everything behind to move there. I love the French/English blend, and love its passion for sports, arts and politics... definitely a cosmopolitan world centre, and I would recommend all to visit. I do hate their stadium, as it I went to see the Expos ages ago, and it was a truly dead atmosphere... but knowing how Football crazy Quebec is, I can imagine that the experience would be completely different. The Als would probably be the one eastern team that I would go and watch, and the Eskies and Riders would be the logical choices out west... they are CFL crazy out west!

THE_New_York_Giants
05-31-2012, 10:56 PM

I lived in Ottawa for years, and I used to lived next door to the stadium (literally within a five minute walk), and it is the worst stadium that I have ever set foot on.* I do live in the Toronto area now, but that has not changed anything about my feelings about the league.* Toronto is a tough sports market, where people want the best that the world has to offer, and knowing that the NFL exists is on everyone's mind while being told to watch a second rate league take the field at the Roger Centre... I have been to my share of Argonaut games, but there is no way that people would take that over a local NFL franchise.

I do think that Hamilton should get a NHL team, and if it was up to me, they could just take the joke that is the Leafs... that franchise is a joke, it is the hockey version of the Chicago Cubs.* Hamilton does not deserve that bad of a franchise when I think of it... their Bulldogs would have a better record if they played in the NHL... but I digress, I should be focusing on the 'great' CFL.

Toronto is a world class city, and it deserves world class entertainment... and the CFL is certainly not world class.* It is a nice experience for tourists who have never witnessed a game, and would like to experience a little bit of what once filled exhibition stadium during the stone age, but it is merely a spec of what a full blown NFL event can provide.*

The Maritimes should certainly have their CFL franchise or two.* Halifax would be a lock, as they are football crazy over there.* Fredericton would also seem like a good location.* They could take the Argos and the Stamps, and let Calgary and Toronto develop NFL venues.* The west coast loves its CFL, very true, but Calgarians are not dumb.... and for the Albertan CFL fans, they will always have the Eskies to cheer.*

I do feel that Vancouver would be a good place for an NFL team, but having Seatle so close does present problems... plus the NBA experiment was an absolute disaster.* Calgary seems to be a safer choice.* Calgary is a gorgeous city (I highly recommend visiting it) and would be greatly upgraded with a NFL franchise.

About the CFL expanding to Ottawa (again)... that would be the third time, and knowing Ottawa extremely well... as I lived for over a decade there, Ottawa does not have the culture for it, and like I mentioned before... they have a horrible stadium... which space is being transformed to become a giant mall (another lame idea for such a beautiful area of town).* I know Ottawa much better than I do Toronto, and I can tell you that Ottawa folks don't care for the CFL, or football for that matter.* I loved living in Ottawa, and I would return in a heart beat, but it is not a good sports town at all.* The junior hockey team is well supported, but mainly because it is a winning program with very affordable prices... and their arena is next door to the crappy football stadium.* If you go to watch a university football game in Ottawa you will laugh, as no one goes to them.* Love Ottawa, just not for football.

I don't even know what would come across anyone's mind to bring up London (Ontario) as a possible CFL venue.* With Hamilton and Toronto next door, there would be no reason to stay there, when one could hang out in the Toronto streets taking the city before and after a game.* London could take the Argos, then I would be all for that idea... regardless of how well London does with the CFL... I just want to see the Argos go and leave town.... just like the Rough Riders/Renegades did in Ottawa.

It is impossible to beat Montreal as a sports town.* What an amazing city! Perhaps the best in all of Canada, and it is one of the few places that I would leave everything behind to move there.* I love the French/English blend, and love its passion for sports, arts and politics... definitely a cosmopolitan world centre, and I would recommend all to visit.* I do hate their stadium, as it I went to see the Expos ages ago, and it was a truly dead atmosphere... but knowing how Football crazy Quebec is, I can imagine that the experience would be completely different.* The Als would probably be the one eastern team that I would go and watch,* and the Eskies and Riders would be the logical choices out west... they are CFL crazy out west!

I love it as well. The Expos used to have a good following. Olympic stadium is a piece of garbage, but MTL is stuck with it because of the subway situation.

Bohemian
06-01-2012, 02:56 AM

It is impossible to beat Montreal as a sports town. What an amazing city! Perhaps the best in all of Canada, and it is one of the few places that I would leave everything behind to move there. I love the French/English blend, and love its passion for sports, arts and politics... definitely a cosmopolitan world centre, and I would recommend all to visit. I do hate their stadium, as it I went to see the Expos ages ago, and it was a truly dead atmosphere... but knowing how Football crazy Quebec is, I can imagine that the experience would be completely different. The Als would probably be the one eastern team that I would go and watch, and the Eskies and Riders would be the logical choices out west... they are CFL crazy out west!

I love it as well. The Expos used to have a good following. Olympic stadium is a piece of garbage, but MTL is stuck with it because of the subway situation.

Too bad to hear that the stadium still is horrible. The time that I went there it was completely colourless, and I remember that there were no trees around it... not very inviting to say the least. But still, I love hanging out in Montreal whenever I get the chance.

THE_New_York_Giants
06-01-2012, 09:05 AM

It is impossible to beat Montreal as a sports town.* What an amazing city! Perhaps the best in all of Canada, and it is one of the few places that I would leave everything behind to move there.* I love the French/English blend, and love its passion for sports, arts and politics... definitely a cosmopolitan world centre, and I would recommend all to visit.* I do hate their stadium, as it I went to see the Expos ages ago, and it was a truly dead atmosphere... but knowing how Football crazy Quebec is, I can imagine that the experience would be completely different.* The Als would probably be the one eastern team that I would go and watch,* and the Eskies and Riders would be the logical choices out west... they are CFL crazy out west!

Too bad to hear that the stadium still is horrible.* The time that I went there it was completely colourless, and I remember that there were no trees around it... not very inviting to say the least.* But still, I love hanging out in Montreal whenever I get the chance.

I was in there pre game a few years ago and a piece of the ceiling fell down and I asked the guy next to me if he'd ever seen that happen there before and he said "yeah it happens all the time." It was just poorly constructed. Fortunately I only had to go to a few games there because the Als play most of their games at McGill university (and they sellout all of their home games). For playoffs and big games they move to Olympic stadium but I heard a rumor that they aren't going to do that anymore.

Bohemian
06-01-2012, 11:30 AM
The football scene in Montreal is the best in the country, and going to a McGill, Concordia or Laval game are also great events. I definitely give Quebec all of the credit for loving its sports franchises. Even soccer does well in the province.

The east coast would also be great to have a team, but I think that the league still living in the its past glory, and seems really hesitant to move out there. St. Mary's University is a football hotbed, and I know from experience, as my brother was a star RB for their 2001 Vanier Cup team. He tells me that for now, they are the only game in town, and a CFL team is what they need out there to complete the package. The league should definitely focus on the mid-size markets, as those are the likely hosts that could build the culture to sustain their teams.

The league needs more fans like those of Saskatchewan, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Hamilton and Montreal. Those are the type of fans that keep the league alive. Vancouver is an enigma, as they are too close to Seattle. But as far as Toronto and Calgary, those seem to have amazing potential for NFL franchises.

Toronto is such a horrible place for the CFL. For some reason, people here still go to the Leaf games, and are robbed of their hard earned money every single year. The Blue Jays are the only true franchise worth supporting, and the Raptors are finally showing signs of life again. The Argos are completely out of their league out here, and I am not sure that the community will ever really care for them. The Buffalo Bills have invaded the city, and you can sense that it is the beginning of the end for the CFL in Toronto. Canadian Football is a great game, but it is a great product for small to medium markets.

I have been in Canada for 25 years, and I started following the Argos until the mid 90s. With the Jays winning during those years, it became evident that the city will throw its whole weight behind a top notch world class product, but it will only support the Argos as long as they were competing with the U.S... such as the case when the Bruce McNall and Wayne Gretzky ownership took over and stole Rocket Ismail from the NFL.

But getting back to a bit of CFL talk, and your Montreal Als. Tony Calvillo is Canada's Peyton Manning. It is amazing that Calvillo never played a down in the NFL.