PDA

View Full Version : Terrell Owens

Morehead State
05-30-2012, 09:19 AM
Let me just say something about Terrell Owens here. I was watching those dopes on Mike and Mike and they were talking about T.O.'s chances of being a first ballot Hall of Famer. Fat Mike talked about T.O.'s "off the field" problems as being a problem.</P>

Yes he was irritating. yes he was annoying. Yes he was a "me" guy. But T.O. didn't have a single "off the field" problem that I can remember. I can't remember once his getting arrested, hitting a women, having drug problems, having a DUI...etc....</P>

No one in their right mind would suggest that he isn't a good enough football player to qualify.</P>

From what I can see he has always been a solid citizen. A guy who never got into trouble.</P>

Isn't he the kind of guy the NFL should hold up as a good example off the field?</P>

Yes he's annoying. But if that it the criteria for being exempted from the Hall, they need to re-examine thier standards.</P>

And as the President of the 'Annoying and Obnoxios Club of America', I would personally have a problem with it.</P>

T.O.: Great player, annoying but seemingly good guy.</P>

Drez
05-30-2012, 03:49 PM
By off field, I believe he was referring to locker room.

sharick88
05-30-2012, 03:56 PM
Various sports hall of fames have racists, deadbeat dads, and felons. I have no problem with Owens getting in. He has the numbers that tower wr's that are already in. Pete Rose and Barry Bonds should both be in MLB's hall of fame as well.

ru_gmen55
05-30-2012, 04:21 PM
Various sports hall of fames have racists, deadbeat dads, and felons. I have no problem with Owens getting in. He has the numbers that tower wr's that are already in. Pete Rose and Barry Bonds should both be in MLB's hall of fame as well.

Bonds and Rose's respective cases are not really the same as T.O.'s though. Let's face it...Bonds cheated, and Pete Rose blatantly broke the rules, then subsequently lied about it for YEARS before finally coming clean. As far as I can tell, T.O. has always been on the straight and narrow, so it's not even a debate for me...he's a HOFer easy. I know what you're trying to say though...petty bias can play a role in the exclusion or certain players...just ask Bill Parcells. Hopefully that isn't the case for Owens when his number is called.

sharick88
05-30-2012, 06:50 PM

Bonds and Rose's respective cases are not really the same as T.O.'s though. Let's face it...Bonds cheated, and Pete Rose blatantly broke the rules, then subsequently lied about it for YEARS before finally coming clean. As far as I can tell, T.O. has always been on the straight and narrow, so it's not even a debate for me...he's a HOFer easy. I know what you're trying to say though...petty bias can play a role in the exclusion or certain players...just ask Bill Parcells. Hopefully that isn't the case for Owens when his number is called.

I know. I was just saying that I am pretty open minded about the hall of fame in general. I can see collusion in Owens' future when it comes to his hall of fame chances. I was pretty happy when Dennis Rodman got his name called. The NBA got that one right. The NFL better get this one right about TwO

THE_New_York_Giants
05-30-2012, 07:02 PM
As much as I disliked T.O., I've heard he is actually a nice guy off the field who takes care of his fans. Sure, he might be a diva, but he was a great WR for the 49ers and Eagles (and sort of the Cowboys).

BTW, I always loved Rodman.

Giant in Dallas
05-30-2012, 07:56 PM
Man, I was so sad to see TO get kicked off the IFL team. I just moved back to Allen, and was looking forward to seeing what the old man could do.

Totally agree with Moorehead State. Guy was a competitor, came to play every sunday, and put every ounce of emotion into his job. That same emotion that made him such a headcase also made him such an outstanding WR. Until some report comes out with a list of felonies, he deserves to be 1st ballot.

ru_gmen55
05-30-2012, 09:44 PM

I know. I was just saying that I am pretty open minded about the hall of fame in general. I can see collusion in Owens' future when it comes to his hall of fame chances. I was pretty happy when Dennis Rodman got his name called. The NBA got that one right. The NFL better get this one right about TwO

Yeah I hear ya...the HOF should be the best players to take the field. Ty Cobb was considered one of the worst human beings of to ever live, and he's in...haha.

THE_New_York_Giants
05-30-2012, 09:46 PM

Yeah I hear ya...the HOF should be the best players to take the field. Ty Cobb was considered one of the worst human beings of to ever live, and he's in...haha.

Everybody hated him. I read a biography on him and I was shocked. His teammates didn't even want him on the team because he was such a jerk.

gmen46
05-31-2012, 03:21 AM
Let me just say something about Terrell Owens here.* I was watching those dopes on Mike and Mike and they were talking about T.O.'s chances of being a first ballot Hall of Famer.* Fat Mike talked about T.O.'s "off the field" problems as being a problem.</P>

Yes he was irritating.* yes he was annoying.* Yes he was a "me" guy.* But T.O. didn't have a single "off the field" problem that I can remember.* I can't remember once his getting arrested, hitting a women, having drug problems, having a DUI...etc....</P>

No one in their right mind would suggest that he isn't a good enough football player to qualify.</P>

From what I can see he has always been a solid citizen.* A guy who never got into trouble.</P>

Isn't he the kind of guy the NFL should hold up as a good example off the field?</P>

Yes he's annoying.* But if that it the criteria for being exempted from the Hall, they need to re-examine thier standards.</P>

And as the President of the 'Annoying and Obnoxios Club of America', I would personally have a problem with it.</P>

T.O.:* Great player, annoying but seemingly good guy.</P>

Yeah, he'd probably be in the Hall on first ballot--if it weren't for Garcia, McNabb, Romo, whoever-was-the-QB-for Buffalo-when he was there, and for Palmer. Just ask Owens. They all hurt his career by just not throwing to him enough. Just think of what his stats could have been.

GmenFan1980
05-31-2012, 03:37 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJjTtpK8mYs

This seems pretty appropriate for this thread

ibbill
05-31-2012, 08:57 AM
Let me just say something about Terrell Owens here. I was watching those dopes on Mike and Mike and they were talking about T.O.'s chances of being a first ballot Hall of Famer. Fat Mike talked about T.O.'s "off the field" problems as being a problem.</p>

Yes he was irritating. yes he was annoying. Yes he was a "me" guy. But T.O. didn't have a single "off the field" problem that I can remember. I can't remember once his getting arrested, hitting a women, having drug problems, having a DUI...etc....</p>

No one in their right mind would suggest that he isn't a good enough football player to qualify.</p>

From what I can see he has always been a solid citizen. A guy who never got into trouble.</p>

Isn't he the kind of guy the NFL should hold up as a good example off the field?</p>

Yes he's annoying. But if that it the criteria for being exempted from the Hall, they need to re-examine thier standards.</p>

And as the President of the 'Annoying and Obnoxios Club of America', I would personally have a problem with it.</p>

T.O.: Great player, annoying but seemingly good guy.</p>

Nice guy hes a real stand up guy NOT Just have to read about him HERE (http://www.zimbio.com/Terrell+Owen/articles/k9R4Tpo4IYw/Terrell+Owens+Forced+Face+Ex+Wives+Dr+Phil) problem solved.

GMENAGAIN
05-31-2012, 09:33 AM
Let me just say something about Terrell Owens here. I was watching those dopes on Mike and Mike and they were talking about T.O.'s chances of being a first ballot Hall of Famer. Fat Mike talked about T.O.'s "off the field" problems as being a problem.</P>

Yes he was irritating. yes he was annoying. Yes he was a "me" guy. But T.O. didn't have a single "off the field" problem that I can remember. I can't remember once his getting arrested, hitting a women, having drug problems, having a DUI...etc....</P>

From what I can see he has always been a solid citizen. A guy who never got into trouble.</P>

Yes he's annoying. But if that it the criteria for being exempted from the Hall, they need to re-examine thier standards.</P>

T.O.: Great player, annoying but seemingly good guy.</P>

</P>

You had me until the "good guy" part.</P>

He is a guy that has basically caused conflict wherever he has gone. He has children that he doesn't see or support financially. I don't know him so I can't say definitively whether he is a "good guy" or not . . . but what is out there in the public certainly doesn't seem to paint the picture of a "good guy". </P>

That being said, being a "good guy" is not a prerequisite for HOF admission. He was a great player and by all accounts worked hard in practice and in games. His SB performance coming off of a broken leg was unbelievable and very underrated. He is a HOFer without a doubt.</P>

</P>

</P>

Redeyejedi
05-31-2012, 09:51 AM
Let me just say something about Terrell Owens here.* I was watching those dopes on Mike and Mike and they were talking about T.O.'s chances of being a first ballot Hall of Famer.* Fat Mike talked about T.O.'s "off the field" problems as being a problem.</P>

Yes he was irritating.* yes he was annoying.* Yes he was a "me" guy.* But T.O. didn't have a single "off the field" problem that I can remember.* I can't remember once his getting arrested, hitting a women, having drug problems, having a DUI...etc....</P>

From what I can see he has always been a solid citizen.* A guy who never got into trouble.</P>

Yes he's annoying.* But if that it the criteria for being exempted from the Hall, they need to re-examine thier standards.</P>

T.O.:* Great player, annoying but seemingly good guy.</P>Your right Owens has always been unjustly labeled as a bad guy. He has an ego almost as big as Lebron James thats about it

Flip Empty
05-31-2012, 11:00 AM
Yeah, he'd probably be in the Hall on first ballot--if it weren't for Garcia, McNabb, Romo, whoever-was-the-QB-for Buffalo-when he was there, and for Palmer. Just ask Owens. They all hurt his career by just not throwing to him enough. Just think of what his stats could have been.
Wha? They threw to him plenty. 3500+ yards and 38TDs in his three years under Romo. His Cowboys numbers were better than his Eagles numbers.
He had a down year (by his standards) in Buffalo, but still managed 829yds and 5TDs.
He had a good year in Cincy - 983yds and 9TDs.

Owens is easily worthy of a first ballot. He's one of the greatest receivers in NFL history.

slipknottin
05-31-2012, 04:20 PM
He deserves to be in the HoF.

What troubles hes had in locker rooms or what else I think should not count towards whether someone gets into the hall or not.

ibbill
05-31-2012, 04:20 PM
Wha? They threw to him plenty. 3500+ yards and 38TDs in his three years under Romo. His Cowboys numbers were better than his Eagles numbers.
He had a down year (by his standards) in Buffalo, but still managed 829yds and 5TDs.

Owens is easily worthy of a first ballot. He's one of the greatest receivers in NFL history.

You would elect Owens over Chris Carter

sharick88
05-31-2012, 04:45 PM

You would elect Owens over Chris Carter

I would in a heartbeat

BlueBlooded1979
05-31-2012, 06:06 PM
He deserves to be in the HoF.

What troubles hes had in locker rooms or what else I think should not count towards whether someone gets into the hall or not.

Off course it does. Even more so than real off the field issues.

The essential job of a football player is to make his team better thus helping them win as many games as possible. The guys that are the very best at that make it to the HoF.

TO's play made his teams significantly better but his locker room nonsense, like getting suspended by the Eagles for conduct, had a negative impact on his team offset a lot of the porduction he had. He was knows for being divisive. Don't you think Dallas would have been better if they weren't absorbed with pacifying Owens ?

I will always like Owens because he helped torpedo our division rivals. I also think he should be in the HOF but not on his first few ballots considering he hurt his teams along with helping them.

slipknottin
05-31-2012, 06:23 PM
Off course it does. Even more so than real off the field issues.

disagree, i believe the only thing that should matter is the play on the field.

gmen46
06-01-2012, 04:38 PM

Sarcasm, friend.

Unfortunately, unless one has the agreed-upon red font (which I don't in this forum) to easily indicate sarcasm here, it can be difficult to pick up upon reading it.

Fact is, however, I was just repeating what TO has complained about throughout his career. He's ONLY been happy when he has a 10-catch game or had the winning TD.

When his team was winning, we never heard much from him regarding this. But whenever his team was losing, oh boy, did we ever hear about it from him.

Of course, his Eagles situation was the most heinous, since he couldn't wait to blame McNabb, entirely, for the SB loss. Regardless of how much McNabb MAY have been to blame, it was a team loss. And for him to begin a public campaign against McNabb during the off season was inexcusable team mate behavior.

And the FACT was, that in spite of his contributions to the Eagles that year of 2004, the team snapped their 3 consecutive NFC Championship losing streak WITHOUT Owens in the game, and they lost the Super Bowl WITH Owens in the game.

That 2004 Eagles team was his best chance to show what his presence could do to improve the team--and he failed to do it.

I could not care less whether or not Owens makes the HOF.

His legacy in the NFL world will always be that he was an immensely talented receiver that cared only about his personal performance, and he did very little to make his team better with him on it.

In an era of many NFL WRs being prima donnas (divas, to some), Owens redefined the term. If you look up the word "prima donna" or "diva" in the dictionary, it will state "Refer to Terrel Owens".

And, now, after EARNING his recent humiliating release by a mostly unknown arena football team--with a severance check for $50 for god's sake!!--and with his life-long thirst for adoration and glory being apparently permanently denied, he better be put on suicide watch. I'm not joking about this.

ibbill
06-03-2012, 11:19 AM
he better be put on suicide watch.

He is about due to sue the NFl when he makes up a reason for it.

jomo
06-03-2012, 11:45 AM
In a word............no.</P>

In two words...............hell no.</P>