PDA

View Full Version : OSI UMENYIORA, GIANTS ACTIVELY DISCUSSING NEW CONTRACT

RoanokeFan
05-31-2012, 06:14 PM
OSI UMENYIORA, GIANTS ACTIVELY DISCUSSING NEW CONTRACT (http://www.giants101.com/2012/05/31/new-york-giants-osi-umenyiora-actively-discussing-new-contract/)

"Rome wasn't built in a day, and the <a class="st_tag internal_tag" title="Posts tagged with New York Giants" href="http://www.giants101.com/tag/new-york-giants/" rel="tag nofollow">New York
Giants</a> and defensive end <a class="st_tag internal_tag" title="Posts tagged with Osi Umenyiora" href="http://www.giants101.com/tag/osi-umenyiora/" rel="tag nofollow">Osi
Umenyiora</a> aren't likely to come to an agreement on a new contract in that
amount of time either. However, it's all about progress and that's exactly
what's occurring between Big Blue and the Chief. ESPN's <a href="http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=7988707" target="_blank">Sal Paolantonio
reports</a> that despite the significant gap between the two sides, they have
continued actively discussing a new contract for the former Pro Bowler.

Umenyiora has received a lot of support from his teammates recently, with
many of them speaking out publicly. It began with Justin Tuck (http://www.giants101.com/2012/05/30/new-york-giants-justin-tuck-defends-friend-teammate-osi-umenyiora/) and continued with <a class="st_tag internal_tag" title="Posts tagged with Mathias Kiwanuka" href="http://www.giants101.com/tag/mathias-kiwanuka/" rel="tag nofollow">Mathias
Kiwanuka</a> on Wednesday.</p>
<blockquote>

"He has been under contract in a bad deal for years now and anybody who looks
at the situation would say, ‘Well, this should have been taken care of a long
time ago,’” said LB <a class="st_tag internal_tag" title="Posts tagged with Mathias Kiwanuka" href="http://www.giants101.com/tag/mathias-kiwanuka/" rel="tag nofollow">Mathias
Kiwanuka</a>. “For whatever reason, it hasn’t. So I understand his
frustration.”</p></blockquote>

The endorsements haven't been lost on Osi, who says it's made this entire
situation that much more difficult for him.</p>
<blockquote>

“What I’ve heard from Kiwi, and Tuck and JPP, I’ll never forget as long as I
live,” Umenyiora said (http://www.northjersey.com/sports/Giants_Kiwanuka_discusses_Umenyioras_contract.html ). “That’s exactly why we are champions. Because
we have each other’s back. These days you hardly see that kind of loyalty from
anybody. I appreciate it, and honestly it makes things that much harder for me.
Because those are the people I need to be around.”</p></blockquote>

Osi has been absent from the voluntary Organized Team Activities (OTAs), but
will be expected to attend mandatory veteran mini-camp which begins on June
12th. Whether or not the two sides can bridge the gap in contract talks between
now and then may play a large role in him showing up or choosing to be
fined."</p>

ShakeNBake
05-31-2012, 06:22 PM
This will get very interesting come mandatory practice

RoanokeFan
05-31-2012, 06:25 PM
This will get very interesting come mandatory practice

Maybe the sun will rise in the west and they will come to an agreement before fines are mandated.

BeatYale
05-31-2012, 06:29 PM
“What I’ve heard from Kiwi, and Tuck and JPP, I’ll never forget as long as I live,” Umenyiora said. “That’s exactly why we are champions. Because we have each other’s back. These days you hardly see that kind of loyalty from anybody. I appreciate it, and honestly it makes things that much harder for me. Because those are the people I need to be around.”

'What if' the players had to sit down and decide among themselves who gets paid what. The sense of loyalty will go out the window :D

RoanokeFan
05-31-2012, 06:31 PM
“What I’ve heard from Kiwi, and Tuck and JPP, I’ll never forget as long as I live,” Umenyiora said. “That’s exactly why we are champions. Because we have each other’s back. These days you hardly see that kind of loyalty from anybody. I appreciate it, and honestly it makes things that much harder for me. Because those are the people I need to be around.”

'What if' the players had to sit down and decide among themselves who gets paid what. The sense of loyalty will go out the window :D

It's easy to say "pay the man" when you're not responsible for finding the money.

BlueBlooded1979
05-31-2012, 06:36 PM
Kiwi should shut up about the "bad contract". If he were on a "good contract" Kiwi would still be on his 2y/8m deal instad of the deal he is on now.

If he didn't get a new contract he wouldn't have said damn thing.

RoanokeFan
05-31-2012, 06:39 PM
Kiwi should shut up about the "bad contract". If he were on a "good contract" Kiwi would still be on his 2y/8m deal instad of the deal he is on now.

If he didn't get a new contract he wouldn't have said damn thing.

Perhaps, but there is the positive aspect of unit cohesiveness to be considered.

BlueBlitzer
05-31-2012, 07:39 PM
Osi better think about what happened to Steve Smith. ( He would scrub floors now, for that kind of money He was initially offered. Before His injury )

NY_Eli
05-31-2012, 09:13 PM
Glad at least the two sides are talking. The defense isn't the same without Osi.

RoanokeFan
05-31-2012, 09:22 PM
Glad at least the two sides are talking. The defense isn't the same without Osi.

That's where it all starts

JMFP2
05-31-2012, 10:10 PM
Dear Mr. Reese,

Please dig those T-Rex arms of yours into those deep pockets and pay Osi current market value.

Sincerely,

Joe Morris

RoanokeFan
05-31-2012, 10:49 PM
Dear Mr. Reese,

Please dig those T-Rex arms of yours into those deep pockets and pay Osi current market value.

Sincerely,

Joe Morris

PS I've enclosed a check in the amount of $5.00 to help

Harooni
05-31-2012, 11:03 PM
somehow i suspect the giants offer will be an "insult" to him.

Rat_bastich
05-31-2012, 11:57 PM
At this point it is posturing and eventually cooler heads will prevail. If that means Osi is out after this year then that is what has to be done. I think Osi firing his agent...or laying him off depending on how he wants to see it was probably a step in the right direction in his mind. I think Osi knows that he is in the downside of his career and that sooner than later he will have to hang it up. I think he had a wake up call last off season when his agent and he couldn't find any takers to meet the Giants' demands.

I think once you stop seeing alot of this stuff in the media thats when it will be taken care of. The two sides being at the table is a big start from where they were last year and a couple of days ago.

G-Man67
06-01-2012, 11:52 AM
haha, is Osi starved for attention?</P>

well one thing is for sure, Osi is paranoid about getting hurt and who can blame him</P>

he has to know that there are some desparate teams out there who would pay him next year way more than we will pay him now, but obviously that is all predicated on him being 100% healthy</P>

i'm fine with giving him a 3 year deal, altho i have been hoping for him to play out his contract and be an absolute monster this year ... if he has a contract, he may not give quite the effort, but even a 90% Osi is still a pretty distruptive force</P>

RoanokeFan
06-01-2012, 12:13 PM
somehow i suspect the giants offer will be an "insult" to him.

Are you saying it will be an insult or he's gong to think it is? He's already turned down their extension offer once, at least.

I can understand changing agents but firing one and letting it be makes no sense from a practical standpoint. Is it possible Agnone told Osi he had no leverage and that was the straw that broke the camel's back?

TrueBlue@NYC
06-01-2012, 01:35 PM
I can appreciate Tuck, JPP and Kiwi sticking up for Osi, but truth be told, if JR put all four of them in a room and said

"OK, we can only spend this for you 4 players, you decide how to divy it up"

Alot of that "I'd give up money to keep this guy" would go right out the door.

gumby742
06-01-2012, 03:17 PM
Those that are in favor of keeping Osi, arguably our 3rd best DE on the team, good money, how do you plan on keeping Cruz and Nicks, let alone worry about Tuck, KP, Webster, and the list goes on.</P>

If we somehow manage to resign both Cruz and Nicks, the rest of the guys on the list are pretty much goners.</P>

I can't believe some people still want to extend Osi. It makes absolutely no monetary sense.</P>

TrueBlue@NYC
06-01-2012, 03:20 PM
Those that are in favor of keeping Osi, arguably our 3rd best DE on the team, good money, how do you plan on keeping Cruz and Nicks, let alone worry about Tuck, KP, Webster, and the list goes on.</P>

If we somehow manage to resign both Cruz and Nicks, the rest of the guys on the list are pretty much goners.</P>

I can't believe some people still want to extend Osi.* It makes absolutely no monetary sense.</P>

I think that's the trick, if JR trying to find a way to keep him that doesn't jepordize the future fo the team.

Remember, at one point we thought there was no way we'd be able to keep Kiwi long term.