PDA

View Full Version : Discouraging words from Mike Pope

NY_Eli
05-31-2012, 09:12 PM
" I told them today that not only do they not know what they are doing, but I donít know what they are doing. I donít know what Iím doing. This is a crash course for guys that havenít had the opportunities that we have had in past years where we could meet with these guys. These new guidelines that we are working under really, really do make it difficult for us to transport the knowledge to these guys. And the fact that we are, by design, having to move along very rapidly, it is beginning to all run together for them. We are in our third day today and today was just not very characteristic of Giants football. We have to be much better than that as we move forward. And it is the mass of information that we are giving them Ė it is just beginning to become a mix for them. So it is hard to tell exactly whether they are capable of playing because they are not sure exactly what they are doing. And with just helmets on, you canít get very much technique work done. So it needs to be assignment work, but today our assignments were not very good. So we have many miles before we sleep."

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Assistant-Coaches-on-OTA-Practice/498d6a75-7460-420e-bf0b-7bab72fab815

RoanokeFan
05-31-2012, 09:17 PM
" I told them today that not only do they not know what they are doing, but I donít know what they are doing. I donít know what Iím doing. This is a crash course for guys that havenít had the opportunities that we have had in past years where we could meet with these guys. These new guidelines that we are working under really, really do make it difficult for us to transport the knowledge to these guys. And the fact that we are, by design, having to move along very rapidly, it is beginning to all run together for them. We are in our third day today and today was just not very characteristic of Giants football. We have to be much better than that as we move forward. And it is the mass of information that we are giving them Ė it is just beginning to become a mix for them. So it is hard to tell exactly whether they are capable of playing because they are not sure exactly what they are doing. And with just helmets on, you canít get very much technique work done. So it needs to be assignment work, but today our assignments were not very good. So we have many miles before we sleep."

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Assistant-Coaches-on-OTA-Practice/498d6a75-7460-420e-bf0b-7bab72fab815

I wouldn't be too concerned at this point in time. Think back to last pre-season when Gilbride teed off on Victor Cruz after he botched an assignment. The coaches know they only have so much time to get these guy to understand the playbook. They have to provide that sense or urgency from day one so the players don't shrug their mistakes off.

Cruz took the criticism and got better quickly. I'm not saying everyone can do that, but that's how it has top be approached.

NY_Eli
05-31-2012, 09:26 PM

I wouldn't be too concerned at this point in time.* Think back to last pre-season when Gilbride teed off on Victor Cruz after he botched an assignment.* The coaches know they only have so much time to get these guy to understand the playbook.* They have to provide that sense or urgency from day one so the players don't shrug their mistakes off.

Cruz took the criticism and got better quickly.* I'm not saying everyone can do that, but that's how it has top be approached.

True, but you have to admit he sounds a little exasperated ("I don't know what I'm doing").

I think he's feeling the pressure, hopefully Bennett and co. can overcome this tough learning curve.

RoanokeFan
05-31-2012, 09:31 PM

I wouldn't be too concerned at this point in time. Think back to last pre-season when Gilbride teed off on Victor Cruz after he botched an assignment. The coaches know they only have so much time to get these guy to understand the playbook. They have to provide that sense or urgency from day one so the players don't shrug their mistakes off.

Cruz took the criticism and got better quickly. I'm not saying everyone can do that, but that's how it has top be approached.

True, but you have to admit he sounds a little exasperated ("I don't know what I'm doing").

I think he's feeling the pressure, hopefully Bennett and co. can overcome this tough learning curve.

It might just be his style, but I used the "sausage making" analogy last year. We all enjoy eating sausage but if we had to see it made we'd never touch it again. Pope and the rest of the coaches are making the sausage. [;)]

The GIANTS have one of the top coaching staffs in the NFL, they know what they're doing.

JMFP2
05-31-2012, 10:08 PM
We are totally screwed.

Mod_C
05-31-2012, 10:09 PM
We are totally screwed.

Why is that?

giantsfan420
05-31-2012, 10:13 PM
Keep in mind hes working with some udfa and ps guys right now...doubt its gonna be looking great this early. Im just hopeful bennet and robinson are willing to put in the work

JMFP2
05-31-2012, 10:14 PM
We are totally screwed.

Why is that?

Just kidding.

Harooni
05-31-2012, 10:34 PM
I would not poo poo this so quickly. Oline is a mess an absolute shower imo.

RoanokeFan
05-31-2012, 10:44 PM

A little early to tell but clearly the new rules are making life more difficult

Harooni
05-31-2012, 10:53 PM

im sorry but you dont get probowl tackles in the 6th 7th round. lets look at the nfc champ game again. if we dont have backfoot eli we were toast.

GreenZone
05-31-2012, 11:08 PM
Yeah, I'm hoping we can get a top five draft pick next year...

It's too bad too. When Bill Parcells was here, you'd always hear him lavishing praise on players, particularly rookies and free agents and especially at the beginning of a camp. You therefore knew you'd be heading into a successful season.

Needless to say, we're screwed.

BlueSanta
06-01-2012, 06:35 AM
I would be much more worried if he said " we are all set to go."

Dorkasaurus
06-01-2012, 07:14 AM
This is just OTA and you have rookies in there for the first time....do you really expect the coaches to say "these guys are getting it down we have this in hand" letting the players relax

This is just to start, you have to say how "difficult" it will be how hard it will be, etc, etc keep them down, keep the team motivated towards improving throughout the offseason and then build the team up as you approach the first regular season game.

chasjay
06-01-2012, 07:23 AM
I think it is an example of using words like a rancher uses a cattle prod. If Pope were really disheartened, he wouldn't announce it publicly. Just another tool to use IMHO.

nygsb42champs
06-01-2012, 07:53 AM
I am sure if they keep listening to coach Pope they will be fine by the start of the regular season.

SweetZombieJesus
06-01-2012, 08:17 AM
It might just be his style, but I used the "sausage making" analogy last year. We all enjoy eating sausage but if we had to see it made we'd never touch it again. Pope and the rest of the coaches are making the sausage. [;)]

Agreed, and this is also why Parcells didn't let his underlings talk to the press.

RoanokeFan
06-01-2012, 08:21 AM

im sorry but you dont get probowl tackles in the 6th 7th round. lets look at the nfc champ game again. if we dont have backfoot eli we were toast.

Mike Pope is the tight ends coach.

RoanokeFan
06-01-2012, 08:24 AM
I am sure if they keep listening to coach Pope they will be fine by the start of the regular season.

I think the point the coach was making was how much an effect the rules changes on practices is having. That said, we at least have an off season to work things out. The players we draft and otherwise acquire have talent, that isn't any different than any other year. When you think about no contact practices being the norm, pads twice a week, etc. it's a big challenge for coaches to get all of the reps in that they feel are necessary.

Duckdownman
06-03-2012, 10:01 AM
I think he is venting more on the new nfl guidelines than the players. Mike has been around a long time so he knows how and when he likes teach his players. The new guidelines prevented his normal routine, which I can completely understand. I'm sure he isn't the only positional coach feeling the exact way. They will get it together as they always do, it's still very very early

NYgiants141
06-03-2012, 10:31 AM
Yeah, I'm hoping we can get a top five draft pick next year...

It's too bad too. When Bill Parcells was here, you'd always hear him lavishing praise on players, particularly rookies and free agents and especially at the beginning of a camp. You therefore knew you'd be heading into a successful season.

Needless to say, we're screwed.

Top 5 draft pick? What?

Have you not learned to trust what this coaching staff is doing yet? Have you not realized that under Eli Manning and Co. we will ALWAYS be contenders? We just won a superbowl, we have almost the same guys, what is this talk about being screwed and hoping for a good draft pick?

JesseJames
06-03-2012, 10:39 AM
fan loyalty is a great thing but right now our O line is a tossed salad and needs a lot of tweaking and thats a big job for a coach. Reshuffling a line sets things up for mental errors especially when you juggle guys back and forth from left to right and back again, it just messes up cohesion and an Offensive line only works when all the players know what the other one is going to do, that happens through reps and lots of practices and games..so I am a little concerned until I see whats going on with these guys..

DVision
06-03-2012, 11:22 AM
I think he is venting more on the new nfl guidelines than the players. Mike has been around a long time so he knows how and when he likes teach his players. The new guidelines prevented his normal routine, which I can completely understand. I'm sure he isn't the only positional coach feeling the exact way. They will get it together as they always do, it's still very very early

^^^^This! He sounds more upset with the new CBA deal than anything.