PDA

View Full Version : Mart B tipping the scales

drbones
05-31-2012, 09:41 PM
anyone see the Q and A from OTA's with Mike Pope?

Q: How is Martellus coming along?
A: ...... He weighed in at 291 pounds last week. So I think that is probably a little too big for his legs to carry. We run a lot more than he might have been accustomed to. Plus we are in the middle of a weight program and the combination of those two things has caused him, especially, to have some problems with his hamstrings. He canít afford to miss time, either. Because he needs every possible rep he can take.

So...291lbs is a pretty big TE.....

For dallas he played at and around 260-270...it is only May but Marty has some weight to drop

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Assistant-Coaches-on-OTA-Practice/498d6a75-7460-420e-bf0b-7bab72fab815

FroZeNx31x
05-31-2012, 09:55 PM
How do you allow yourself to gains so much weight months after signing a new deal?

slipknottin
05-31-2012, 10:07 PM
For dallas he played at and around 260-270...it is only May but Marty has some weight to drop

where did you read that? I would expect he was playing on dallas at 280+

buddy33
05-31-2012, 10:16 PM
Depending on what his diet has been he could lose a bunch of weight in just a few weeks especially in the warmer weather.

JMFP2
05-31-2012, 10:23 PM
How do you allow yourself to gains so much weight months after signing a new deal?

It probably involves eating alot.

Ntegrase96
05-31-2012, 10:31 PM
I would say his playing weight is 275 lbs. He can lose it before the season starts for sure, but I figured with an opportunity to be a starter, he would be taking better care of himself.

FroZeNx31x
05-31-2012, 10:46 PM

genius!

THE_New_York_Giants
05-31-2012, 11:20 PM
He'll be ready to go. When you way 290 pounds, losing 15-20 pounds should take 2-3 weeks.

MattyD21
05-31-2012, 11:30 PM
Just goes to show his mentality coming into camp , i hope EVERY Dallas fan isnt right with all the negatives they have for him

Neverend
05-31-2012, 11:35 PM
For as much criticism as the giants conditioning program has received in recent years, very interesting to see the players that has had hamstring issues this year (molden, bennett) were free agents signed by the giants, having nothing to do with the giants offseason conditioning regime

Drez
06-01-2012, 12:06 AM
I would say his playing weight is 275 lbs. He can lose it before the season starts for sure, but I figured with an opportunity to be a starter, he would be taking better care of himself.

Agreed.

Definitely not a good sign, but I'll wait and see. I remember Nicks gained a lot of weight after hurting his hammy after college (different situations, I know). We all know how that turned out.

Rat_bastich
06-01-2012, 12:32 AM

Agreed.

Definitely not a good sign, but I'll wait and see. I remember Nicks gained a lot of weight after EATING A ham after college (different situations, I know). We all know how that turned out.

Fixed

RagTime Blue
06-01-2012, 01:08 AM
For as much criticism as the giants conditioning program has received in recent years, very interesting to see the players that has had hamstring issues this year (molden, bennett) were free agents signed by the giants, having nothing to do with the giants offseason conditioning regime

Exactly. Nobody in the league shreds hamstrings like Camp Coughlin. If you've never been through it, you're in for a rude awakening.

TheBookOfEli
06-01-2012, 01:37 AM
I hope and i mean I HOPE that the weight gain was due to him gaining more muscle knowing that he would need to block more for the Giants.

Captain Chaos
06-01-2012, 04:41 AM
That's not really how to impress your coach when you are on a one year contract. I don't think the weight is an issue, the hamstrings are really what I would be worried about.

since55
06-01-2012, 06:10 AM
I am more worried about his brain/mind set. Anyone know how he scored on that Wonderlic test?

Cool Papa B.
06-01-2012, 07:56 AM
I'm dissapointed that he would show up for OTA's at that weight. Don't these guys have offseason workout programs to keep them in shape and ready for the next season? AT that size he might want to play a little DT also (kidding).

Not a good start for someone who's trying to impress and earn a long term contract.

nygsb42champs
06-01-2012, 07:57 AM
He definetly needs to drop some weight.

THE_New_York_Giants
06-01-2012, 09:09 AM
I'm dissapointed that he would show up for OTA's at that weight. Don't these guys have offseason workout programs to keep them in shape and ready for the next season? AT that size he might want to play a little DT also (kidding).

Not a good start for someone who's trying to impress and earn a long term contract.

He was probably just enjoying his summer vacation. He'll be ready to go. There's a good percentage of players that come in overweight and out of shape and it isn't a sign of lack of intelligence as much as it is a giving their body a rest from crazy football workouts. LT used to come into training camp overweight every year. (I'm not saying that Bennett is LT, I'm saying it isn't a big deal)

GMENAGAIN
06-01-2012, 09:35 AM
I don't like to see this from a guy whose motivation has been questioned and who is playing on a one year deal.</P>

Some of these guys just don't get it and probably never will . . . . .</P>

RoanokeFan
06-01-2012, 09:40 AM

DING, DING, DING...we have a winner

Dorkasaurus
06-01-2012, 09:45 AM
He'll be ready to go. When you way 290 pounds, losing 15-20 pounds should take 2-3 weeks.]

Okay this I have to respond to. Loosing 15-20 pounds in 2-3 weeks would require a 17,500 -35,000 calorie (3500 cals/pound) deficit per week, meaning up to a deficit of 5,000 calories a day ! If you are doing this you will lose muscle mass in the process.

Not a healthy weight loss goal.

Morehead State
06-01-2012, 10:21 AM
He's already showing a lack of commitment with this off season weight problem. That may be OK in Dallas, but not with us.</P>

Maybe this tiger can't change his spots.</P>

CGYgiant
06-01-2012, 11:15 AM
He's already showing a lack of commitment with this off season weight problem. That may be OK in Dallas, but not with us.</p>

Maybe this tiger can't change his spots.</p>

He actually moved rather decently for a man this large last year. Besides, his main role will be blocking anyways and catching second. I think 275-280 is fine for him. Almost like having another O-linemen out there.

GMENAGAIN
06-01-2012, 11:31 AM
He's already showing a lack of commitment with this off season weight problem. That may be OK in Dallas, but not with us.</P>

Maybe this tiger can't change his spots.</P>

He actually moved rather decently for a man this large last year. Besides, his main role will be blocking anyways and catching second. I think 275-280 is fine for him. Almost like having another O-linemen out there.
</P>

You're missing the point.</P>

TrueBlue@NYC
06-01-2012, 11:53 AM
Disappointing that as a newcomer on a 1 year deal he starts off by coming to OTAs' overweight.

Luckily, as coach Pope pointed out, they're in the middle of a weight loss program so there's probably a few players that need to trim a few pounds.

Between now and August is plenty of time to lose the needed weight in a healthy manner. Expecting him to lose it in a couple of weeks is crazy thinking.

Pierre-Paul
06-01-2012, 04:22 PM
He was listed at 265, which means he probably played somewhere around that number. 270, 275 maybe. But what I am most concerned about is that he has a question mark surrounding him and his self-motivation. This doesn't answer that question. His coach certainly thinks it is a problem, and will help him work to get into shape. Bennet could be a special player, but probably won't step out and do great things until he gets his mind right.

MikeIsaGiant
06-01-2012, 04:36 PM
what a fat ****

THE_New_York_Giants
06-01-2012, 04:50 PM
He'll be ready to go. When you way 290 pounds, losing 15-20 pounds should take 2-3 weeks.]

Okay this I have to respond to. Loosing 15-20 pounds in 2-3 weeks would require a 17,500 -35,000 calorie (3500 cals/pound) deficit per week, meaning up to a deficit of 5,000 calories a day ! If you are doing this you will lose muscle mass in the process.

You obviously aren't 6'6". I am and losing 20 lbs is pretty easy, especially since I'm similarly built to Bennett.

TrueBlue@NYC
06-01-2012, 04:57 PM

You obviously aren't 6'6". I am and losing 20 lbs is pretty easy, especially since I'm similarly built to Bennett.

Losing 20lbs in a couple of weeks should only be easy if your significantly overweight. Doesn't matter what height you are, what matters is how overweight you are for your frame. You need to be very overweight to lose that kind of weight so quickly.

JesseJames
06-01-2012, 04:57 PM
I don't want to trash a guy before he even makes a play on the field but Bennett showing up out of shape shows me a lack of commitment and maybe the Cowboys had enough of it from him, I hope Jerry Reese did his homework on this guy because we're going to need him badly this year...

THE_New_York_Giants
06-01-2012, 10:59 PM

Losing 20lbs in a couple of weeks should only be easy if your significantly overweight. Doesn't matter what height you are, what matters is how overweight you are for your frame. You need to be very overweight to lose that kind of weight so quickly.

Maybe I'm just a freak. But then again I've never been "overweight" as far as fat standards. I play rugby and hockey recreationally and to this day at 45 years old have been playing at 260 lbs for as long as I can remember. There was a solid 3 month period where I got up to 280-285 because I worked too damn much and couldn't work out, but it didn't take long at all for me to get back into shape. Literally a month tops.

JJC7301
06-01-2012, 11:39 PM

No wonder why Dallas was happy to let him go.

Or maybe he plans on turning that fat into muscle.

JJC7301
06-01-2012, 11:41 PM
I don't want to trash a guy before he even makes a play on the field but Bennett showing up out of shape shows me a lack of commitment and maybe the Cowboys had enough of it from him, I hope Jerry Reese did his homework on this guy because we're going to need him badly this year...
If he doesn't get his *** in shape, his teammates had better let him hear about it. This is an ALL IN attempt at a repeat.

MattyD21
06-02-2012, 03:24 AM
I still cant get this Dallas fan out of my head about over the weekend out in the Hamptons, he was a big Dallas fan and laughed at my assumption of bennet being a turnout. The quote was " skill only takes you so far , its heart that makes a good player" - in reference

Roswell777
06-02-2012, 03:42 AM
I think If Mar-Tay keeps this up then he could be the answer to our Left Tackle woes.

bLuereverie
06-02-2012, 06:17 AM
Looks like the LT tackle position just got more competition.

chasjay
06-02-2012, 07:53 AM

<font color="#FF0000">Hopefully, he hasn't been working out with JaMarcus Russell.</font> <font color="#FF0000">Does he have a cough also?</font>

GMENAGAIN
06-02-2012, 08:05 AM
There's a reason that the guy had to sign a one year "prove it" deal

bigblue58
06-02-2012, 09:03 AM
Someone needs to tell him that he's not supposed to take being a Giant literally!
Hey......we had a 285 lb back up QB.......why not a 290 lb TE!
Seriously though....Tom Coughlin is his HC people...he'll be at his playing weight by week 1.

jomo
06-02-2012, 09:07 AM
There's a reason that the guy had to sign a one year "prove it" deal.............and he aparently didn't get the message. There is plenty of time but he hasn't made the right first impression.

GMENAGAIN
06-02-2012, 09:12 AM
There's a reason that the guy had to sign a one year "prove it" deal.............and he aparently didn't get the message. There is plenty of time but he hasn't made the right first impression.</P>

Agreed</P>

GameTime
06-02-2012, 09:23 AM
here is a player who is seems not real hard up to impress his new team. Needs to get his fat *** in gear and become a football player instead of a check collector......

Dorkasaurus
06-02-2012, 10:03 AM

Maybe I'm just a freak. But then again I've never been "overweight" as far as fat standards. I play rugby and hockey recreationally and to this day at 45 years old have been playing at 260 lbs for as long as I can remember. There was a solid 3 month period where I got up to 280-285 because I worked too damn much and couldn't work out, but it didn't take long at all for me to get back into shape. Literally a month tops.

Well you asume I am not 6' 6" ....

Secondly at no point did I say you can not lose 15-20lbs in 3 weeks. What I did say is you will lose muscle pass in the process due to the dramatic weight loss.

As for your weight flucation next time you are working so much that you can not work out, reduce you calorie intake over that time and you will not put on that 20-25 pounds of fat.

jomo
06-02-2012, 10:18 AM
He'll be ready to go. When you way 290 pounds, losing 15-20 pounds should take 2-3 weeks.] Okay this I have to respond to. Loosing 15-20 pounds in 2-3 weeks would require a 17,500 -35,000 calorie (3500 cals/pound) deficit per week, meaning up to a deficit of 5,000 calories a day ! If you are doing this you will lose muscle mass in the process. Not a healthy weight loss goal. You obviously aren't 6'6". I am and losing 20 lbs is pretty easy, especially since I'm similarly built to Bennett. Losing 20lbs in a couple of weeks should only be easy if your significantly overweight. Doesn't matter what height you are, what matters is how overweight you are for your frame. You need to be very overweight to lose that kind of weight so quickly. Maybe I'm just a freak. But then again I've never been "overweight" as far as fat standards. I play rugby and hockey recreationally and to this day at 45 years old have been playing at 260 lbs for as long as I can remember. There was a solid 3 month period where I got up to 280-285 because I worked too damn much and couldn't work out, but it didn't take long at all for me to get back into shape. Literally a month tops. Well you asume I am not 6' 6" .... Secondly at no point did I say you can not lose 15-20lbs in 3 weeks. What I did say is you will lose muscle pass in the process due to the dramatic weight loss. As for your weight flucation next time you are working so much that you can not work out, reduce you calorie intake over that time and you will not put on that 20-25 pounds of fat.I thnk the real question is why did he choose to baloon himself coming into camp with a one year "show me" contract. Rather than hiring him a dietitian, we may reconsider a shrink. Very diappointing behavior from this guy. His contractual situation notwithstanding, he is not a Giant yet! IMO

Dorkasaurus
06-02-2012, 10:31 AM
He'll be ready to go. When you way 290 pounds, losing 15-20 pounds should take 2-3 weeks.] Okay this I have to respond to. Loosing 15-20 pounds in 2-3 weeks would require a 17,500 -35,000 calorie (3500 cals/pound) deficit per week, meaning up to a deficit of 5,000 calories a day ! If you are doing this you will lose muscle mass in the process. Not a healthy weight loss goal. You obviously aren't 6'6". I am and losing 20 lbs is pretty easy, especially since I'm similarly built to Bennett. Losing 20lbs in a couple of weeks should only be easy if your significantly overweight. Doesn't matter what height you are, what matters is how overweight you are for your frame. You need to be very overweight to lose that kind of weight so quickly. Maybe I'm just a freak. But then again I've never been "overweight" as far as fat standards. I play rugby and hockey recreationally and to this day at 45 years old have been playing at 260 lbs for as long as I can remember. There was a solid 3 month period where I got up to 280-285 because I worked too damn much and couldn't work out, but it didn't take long at all for me to get back into shape. Literally a month tops. Well you asume I am not 6' 6" .... Secondly at no point did I say you can not lose 15-20lbs in 3 weeks. What I did say is you will lose muscle pass in the process due to the dramatic weight loss. As for your weight flucation next time you are working so much that you can not work out, reduce you calorie intake over that time and you will not put on that 20-25 pounds of fat.I thnk the real question is why did he choose to baloon himself coming into camp with a one year "show me" contract. Rather than hiring him a dietitian, we may reconsider a shrink. Very diappointing behavior from this guy. His contractual situation notwithstanding, he is not a Giant yet! IMO

I agree coming in with a one year you have to be your best right out of the gate.

JesseJames
06-02-2012, 10:47 AM
right now I have to question Bennetts commitment and from what I've been reading that was his problem in Dallas.....