PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Jake Muasau

titwio
06-01-2012, 05:06 PM
Jake Muasau (http://www.georgiastatesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=12700&ATCLID=204876252)- 6'1 243 UDFA out of Georgia State.

Been hearing some good things about him and the Giants seem to be excited about the acquisition of him through undrafted free agency.

Here's some things Perry Fewell had to say about him when him in a conversation over OTA's and future camp battles...

Fewell answering a question about Greg Jones:

Were going to try him on the outside. We like the young kid that we have, Jake Muasau playing middle backer.

Fewell on Muasau:

Obviously, our scouting staff did a really nice job and had him down and we brought him in during rookie minicamp. When I walked in the equipment room and the first time I saw him, I thought he was Kawika Mitchell, and I got excited. Kawikas back. And then he turned around and said Im so excited to be here. Then I said, Its not Kawika. He comes to the meeting room, hes prepared. Coach Herrm has done a nice job of getting him focused on what to do. We saw something in him at rookie minicamp and said Hey, lets give this guy a shot because he was really professional at how he went about his work and business. We think if we give him the opportunity to get enough reps at the position hes playing right now, we might find something. Obviously, preseason games will tell, but we like what we saw in rookie minicamp and we like what weve seen in these three OTAs.

Fewell on where he thinks he fits:

He looks like a natural Mike, even though hes not played it, than some of the guys we have. Coach Herrm has really done a nice job with him. Mentally, he has a visual picture of what we want and how we like to fit. Ill be very interested in how he performs when we get to training camp and when we get to preseason because hes just doing what we ask him to do. Sometimes thats just the best thing: just go out and play.

Anyway, I found this interesting when I was reading it. I personally never heard of the guy but the Giants seem to think they might have something with him...

Thoughts?

GMENAGAIN
06-01-2012, 05:44 PM
Thanks for the info.</P>

I knew nothing about this guy until his name just came up recently.</P>

TuckYou
06-01-2012, 05:50 PM
Uh, never heard of him until right now. Good things are being said though, so, if he has a greta attittude and wont quit, he could give the backups a run for their money during the preseason. </P>

By the way, Fewell saying he wants to try Greg Jones outside = adios. Jons isnt even fast enough to play Mike, how is he going to play the outside linebacker spot? He only looked good on STs last year, Im not sure he makes the cut.</P>

JesseJames
06-01-2012, 05:51 PM
sounds like we have more good LBers than we can keep

Breezely
06-01-2012, 06:55 PM
All I want to know is. . . . .how did Fewell mistook him for Kawika Mitchell? Was it the hair or the physique or both?????

Breezely
06-01-2012, 06:59 PM
#35 Jake Muasau
Position: Outside Linebacker
Height: 6'1"
Weight: 243
Year: Senior
Hometown: Sierra Vista, Ariz.
High School: Buena/Phoenix College
0 Muasau Photos
Buy Photo
View Gallery

Signed free agent contract with New York Giants, May 14, 2012

AT GEORGIA STATE: The top playmaker on the Georgia State defense in the Panthers' first two seasons ... Voted by his teammates as GSU's Most Valuable Defensive Player for 2010 and 2011 ... Former junior college standout who joined the program in January 2010 ... Plays the hybrid outside linebacker position known as Bandit in the GSU scheme ... Provides veteran leadership and intensity.

Georgia State's career leader in tackles for loss (16.5) and interceptions (3), along with 106 career tackles, seven sacks, four fumble recoveries and four forced fumbles.

2011: Named to FCS All-Independent team by College Sports Madness ... The team's third-leading tackler in with 56, including eight tackles for loss, plus two interceptions ... Over his last four games, he collected 24 tackles, six tackles for loss, three sacks, two interceptions and a fumble recovery.

Made one of the biggest defensive plays of the 2011 season in overtime vs. South Alabama. On second-and-goal, pressured the QB and forced an errant throw that was intercepted to preserve GSU win ... Career-high 10 tackles at UTSA with two sacks and an interception, which he returned 21 yards. Honorable mention selection for National Linebacker Performer of the Week by the CFPA.

After missing the St. Francis game with a knee sprain, he had eight tackles, two tackles for loss and an interception at West Alabama ... Finished the season with four tackles, a fumble recovery and a tackle for loss vs. Campbell.

Named to the 2011 CFPA Outside Linebacker Preseason Watch List.

2010: Voted Most Valuable Defensive Player and Outstanding Outside Linebacker for GSU's inaugural team ... Led the team in tackles for loss with 8.5, including four sacks, which ranked second on the squad ... Also contributed four forced fumbles, three fumble recoveries, three pass breakups and an interception ... Credited with 28 sol tackles and 22 assists for a total of 50 hits.

Remarkable performance against Lambuth with six solo tackles, four tackles for loss, including three sacks, a forced fumble, a fumble recovery and an interception. Honorable mention selection as national Linebacker of the Week by the College Football Performance Awards ... Made 5.5 tackles with a tackle for loss, a fumble recovery, a forced fumble and a pass breakup in win over N.C. Central ... Had a fumble recovery, a forced fumble, a pass breakup and a tackle for loss in win over Savannah State ... Sacked Lamar QB Doug Prewitt for a 15-yard loss.

Honored as the Panthers' "Best Defensive Performer" for spring practice.

JUNIOR COLLEGE/HIGH SCHOOL: Played two seasons at Phoenix College but was injured much of the 2009 season ... Coached by Land Jacobsen ... Played wide receiver and defensive back at Buena High ... Had 50 tackles, two interceptions and two forced fumbles on defense, along with 18 catches for 415 yards and seven touchdowns on offense ... Named first-team all-region as a defensive back and second-team at wide receiver ...

PERSONAL: Given name is Manumalo Muasau (pronounced MWAH-sow) ... The younger of the Muasau brothers at Georgia State, born April 15, 1990 ... Son of Asoiva Muasau and the late Liuavano Muasau.

Rat_bastich
06-01-2012, 09:17 PM
I like the guy but he definitely has an uphill battle. He is pretty much a free safety/linebacker hybrid. He was given free reign to roam around the field and make plays. I think that if the linebacking corps wasn't as deep as it is with potential he would be a shoo-in. Most likely though he goes in the practice squad.

JJC7301
06-02-2012, 01:06 AM
Thanks for the info.</P>

I knew nothing about this guy until his name just came up recently.</P>
+1. Yeah, thanks for the info. I love our record with our UDFAs, so I'm looking forward to seeing what our latest crop could possibly bring to the table.

Neverend
06-02-2012, 01:26 AM
sounds interesting. really wish espn3 didnt remove the cfb games this year, was a useful tool

FroZeNx31x
06-02-2012, 01:35 AM
I watched some film on him, he has a very quick first step at the snap. Still lacking in the play recognition department but takes decent angles to the ball. Seems like he can develop into a good player. Reminds me of a very raw AJ Hawk (dont take the comparison to heart)

titwio
06-02-2012, 03:31 PM
sounds interesting. really wish espn3 didnt remove the cfb games this year, was a useful tool

Maybe one of the draft heads on this site will put something up. I personally never saw any Georgia State games last year.

qroze
06-02-2012, 03:56 PM
For what it's worth, Canty was praising that kids work on the field during OTA's. I'm Definitely excited after hearing all this stuff. BYE BYE Greg Jones!? At least Paysinger is gone for sure.

jomo
06-02-2012, 04:17 PM
Usually I'd be skeptical about pre-season stuff but with our track record on UDFA's I am very excited to see more of this kid.

titwio
06-04-2012, 06:00 PM
Nice article on Jake here:

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/LB-Jake-Muasau-learning-the-middle-/069d66b4-1907-4167-a876-cbc653988f9d

Cool Papa B.
06-04-2012, 06:45 PM
I'm excited to see what the kid can do. This year he will probably be playing special teams, but I think with his heart and work ethic he can eventually become the MIKE.

I love his faith in God and his story.

miked1958
06-04-2012, 07:37 PM
sounds like we have more good LBers than we can keepYes going to have to make some very tough Cuts

Captain Chaos
06-04-2012, 08:05 PM
I like the guy but he definitely has an uphill battle. He is pretty much a free safety/linebacker hybrid. He was given free reign to roam around the field and make plays. I think that if the linebacking corps wasn't as deep as it is with potential he would be a shoo-in. Most likely though he goes in the practice squad.

I have to agree with your assessment, just don't think he will be able to compete with Herz and the rest, maybe after a year on the practice squad he can come in make some things happen.

Breezely
06-04-2012, 09:32 PM

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/LB-Jake-Muasau-learning-the-middle-/069d66b4-1907-4167-a876-cbc653988f9d

Good article!!! I like his story and I am rooting for him. From what I heard, he has the tools. Wish I can find some footage of him.

ronmexico
06-04-2012, 10:08 PM
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/2012/05/31/20120531jake-muasau-journeys-from-living-van-nfl.html

Turns out he was raised in pretty crappy circumstances.. he lived in a van at one point in his life. He could be just the kind of humble, hardworking player that TC loves, especially since he probably wants to stick around the NFL for a while. Hope it works out.

titwio
06-04-2012, 10:48 PM

Good article!!! I like his story and I am rooting for him. From what I heard, he has the tools. Wish I can find some footage of him.

Yeah, I'm hoping someone puts up a vid on him. That or anything related to Georgia St. defense to get a better idea of what he looks like.