PDA

View Full Version : OSI UMENYIORA, GIANTS AGREE TO RESTRUCTURED CONTRACT

RoanokeFan
06-01-2012, 08:48 PM
OSI UMENYIORA, GIANTS AGREE TO RESTRUCTURED CONTRACT (http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/06/osi_umenyiora_giants_agree_to.html)

"The contract strife that has clouded the relationship between the Giants (http://www.nj.com/giants/) and defensive end Osi Umenyiora for
the past few years seemingly has come to an end.

The Giants announced today that the club has reworked Umenyiora's contract.
The terms of which were not disclosed but the team announced the deal was
"restructured," as opposed to extended longer than this upcoming season.</p>

"I appreciate Osiís patience and effort through this process,Ē Giants general
manager Jerry Reese said in an announcement released by the team. ďWe talked it
out, and it makes sense for everybody involved. We are very pleased, excited and
looking forward to seeing number 72 on the field at Mondayís OTA.Ē</p>

Said Umenyiora, "This gives me peace of mind, definitely. We just resolved a
situation. It really was affecting me in a bad way. Because I didnít like all
the negativity that was surrounding the whole situation. I couldnít stand it,
because if you know me, you know Iím not that type of person. Iím just happy all
that is over with and Iíll be there. Iíll play out this contract, Iíll play this
year and Iíll play my heart out.Ē</p>

Umenyiora's absence from the Giants' voluntary organized training activities
this offseason has been conspicuous. There had been much speculation about
whether he would show up for the only mandatory event of the spring, which is
the full-squad minicamp from June 11-13.</p>

The mystery has now been eliminated. Umenyiora said in the team's release he
will be alongside his teammates Monday.</p>

ďIíll be there,Ē Umenyiora said. ďI canít wait. Iím all in. Like Antrel
(Rolle) says, 'Iím all in.'Ē</p>

The financial terms of the contract have yet to be fully revealed but someone
informed of the communcation between the sides said the Giants were recently
offering a bump to the final season of Umenyiora's contract. The person
requested anonymity because the negotiations were to remain private.</p>

Umenyiora was scheduled to earn $3.975 million in base salary this season.
The person said the Giants were offering to add $2-2.5 million in a signing
bonus plus another $500,000 or so in a roster bonus and one more bonus if he
reaches 10 sacks. The offer included an easily voidable 2013 season, which would
allow the team to spread the cap hit over two seasons. It's unclear if the final
agreement wound up in that range, but it's likely close to those numbers.</p>

The Giants' offer (which, again, is likely in the neighborhood of the final
deal) would benefit both sides because the team would get another season out of
a two-time Pro Bowl pass rusher while Umenyiora, 30, would basically double his
salary this season while setting himself up for a big payday next offseason as
an unrestricted free agent. The carrot of hitting the market next spring also
helps the Giants, as Umenyiora will remain motivated this season to prove he
deserves a big contract.</p>

Umenyiora <a href="http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/05/giants_osi_umenyiora_fires_age.html">confirmed
to The Star-Ledger Thursday he parted ways with agent Tony Agnone</a> this week.
The timing of the firing and the contract extension indicates Agnone might have
been a road block to this deal. (Not to mention the 3 percent fee Agnone would
have received. On a contract of $7.5 million, that's $225,000 Umenyiora gets to
keep. 7:00 p.m. UPDATE I'm told Umenyiora would still owe his original agent
on the money that was negotiated back in 2006. So he'd save the fee on the $3
million or so extra, which would equate to $100,000-plus.)</p>

Politics aside, Umenyiora is pleased to put aside haggling over a new
contract, which has been drawn out through the end of the NFL lockout last
summer.</p>

ďIím just happy, Iím happy all thatís over with,Ē Umenyiora said. ďItís time
to get back to work. It was definitely frustrating (not being on the field this
spring), but <a href="http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/05/giants_mathias_kiwanuka_comes.html">hearing
some of the things they said, whether it was Kiwi</a> or (Justin) Tuck or (Jason
Pierre-Paul) or Antrel (Rolle) Ė hearing the way they supported me, it made me
want to come back even more and be around them. Those guys really stepped up for
me. I really appreciate it and Iím happy to be here with them."</p>

BlueBlooded1979
06-02-2012, 03:50 AM
More money, no additional years? The Giants got nothing from this deal. From a negotiating standpoint it is a failure.

Adding dead money to next years cap should be nice though

redbeardxxv
06-02-2012, 03:56 AM
They got a happy Osi, playing for a new deal with the G-Men or anyone watching, and they got another year to see if he's worth a longer deal. It's a win-win.

gmen46
06-02-2012, 04:23 AM
More money, no additional years? The Giants got nothing from this deal. From a negotiating standpoint it is a failure.

This was one possibility Reese mentioned as far back as last summer--a restructuring of his final year on the existing contract, and address a new contract for 2013. So I don't see how this was a negotiating failure on the Giants part.

I personally think that the recent public vocal support of Osi and his negotiating for more compensation, by Tuck, Kiwi, and JPP a few weeks ago, may have moved the needle a bit for Osi to accept the Giants' offer.

It was no more than 2 days ago, right after Kiwi became the 3rd of the 3 DEs to stand up for Osi, that he was saying he and the team were "far apart".

Then, in less than 48 hours, he fires his agent and arrives at agreement with the Giants. I don't believe that sequence and timing are coincidences.

It is a win-win for 2012 at least.

Redeyejedi
06-02-2012, 06:07 AM
It says easily voidable 2013 season. So does that mean if he gets injured in camp he will be under contract next season

Gimaniac
06-02-2012, 08:06 AM
It says easily voidable 2013 season. So does that mean if he gets injured in camp he will be under contract next season

No. It appears to be some kind of accounting trick to spread the money he is getting this year over 2 years. If he does go down, they void the deal but still take a moderate cap hit.

The bad news with this deal is that there is no extension, so the "Osi contract chatter" will continue.

The good news is Osi is now silenced and highly motivated for another payday.

buddy33
06-02-2012, 08:28 AM
Well he fired his agent right? Did he hire another one? He just saved some money if he didn't.

GMENAGAIN
06-02-2012, 08:55 AM
Well he fired his agent right? Did he hire another one? He just saved some money if he didn't.</P>

I have a feeling that Osi's next fight is with his agent.</P>

The agent negotiates with the Giants for weeks and months,Osi fires him the day before the deal is signed and tries to stiff him on the commission???? Can't see the agent letting that fly if that's how it went down . . . . .</P>

Latinoshockeyfan
06-02-2012, 09:27 AM
Listen,
It's a one year deal. He deserved a raise and got it. After this year the Giants will let him walk. It's time to start preparing to lock up JPP. He's only going to get better and the better he gets, the more him and his agent will be looking at Mario Williams's contract. LOCK HIM UP NOW and forget all this Osi Extension or 1 year contract talk. Osi just cashed his last big check as a member of the New York Giants. END OF STORY.

JMFP2
06-03-2012, 09:49 PM
They got a happy Osi, playing for a new deal with the G-Men or anyone watching, and they got another year to see if he's worth a longer deal. It's a win-win.</P>

Absolutely.</P>

Osi and the Giants can now focus on football.</P>

</P>

Harooni
06-03-2012, 10:51 PM

we gain knowing osi will not hold out and dont have his position to fill with hardly any cap space. we also gain bye not keeping him past his prime. its good stuff

lawl
06-03-2012, 10:52 PM

we gain knowing osi will not hold out and dont have his position to fill with hardly any cap space. we also gain bye not keeping him past his prime. its good stuff

Osi was never going to hold out.

Players lose way too much money now under new CBA.

Harooni
06-03-2012, 10:54 PM

you never know, maybe avoided a phantom injury or a major distraction.

lawl
06-03-2012, 11:04 PM

What we gain is additional respect for ownership in the locker room. It doesn't mean all that much come contract time for alot of guys, but every little bit helps. That money used on osi wasn't gonna help us for another player anyway this year.

gumby742
06-04-2012, 09:54 AM
More money, no additional years? The Giants got nothing from this deal. From a negotiating standpoint it is a failure. Adding dead money to next years cap should be nice though

What we gain is additional respect for ownership in the locker room. It doesn't mean all that much come contract time for alot of guys, but every little bit helps. That money used on osi wasn't gonna help us for another player anyway this year.
</P>

When i first saw the news i misread it as a contract extension or whatever. I flipped out. Now that I realized it just playing out the rest of this contract, i couldn't care less.</P>

RoanokeFan
06-04-2012, 11:15 AM
More money, no additional years? The Giants got nothing from this deal. From a negotiating standpoint it is a failure. Adding dead money to next years cap should be nice though

</p>

When i first saw the news i misread it as a contract extension or whatever. I flipped out. Now that I realized it just playing out the rest of this contract, i couldn't care less.</p>

It could help us repeat, I wouldn't be so dismissive. I don't see Osi playing for us after this season. If he was going to play here we needed him happy. In the grand scheme of things it wasn't that costly and didn't break the bank of the future to get him to be ALL-IN.

This is a one year deal that really is a win-win.

TuckYou
06-04-2012, 11:39 AM
This was greta for the Giants. It keeps Osi happy and in a final year of his contract, meaning, we should get an ALL IN Osi this season playing for one last big payday. When Osi is happy, this team can do anything. Notice how much better the Giants were when Osi got back to playing like Osi last year?