PDA

View Full Version : New Giants MB?

Pa_Gmen
06-01-2012, 09:20 PM
Hey guys, I know before I left this was a very touch subject around here and don't want to start anything with the moderators. Since I have been gone for the last 2 months I remember them getting ready to switch over to the new MB, I was expecting to come back to something new.. anyone know what happened?

Flip Empty
06-01-2012, 09:24 PM
I remember them getting ready to switch over to the new MB, I was expecting to come back to something new.. anyone know what happened?
I do - nothing

NYG4lifeNYK
06-01-2012, 09:28 PM
<font color="#FF0000">Was a horrible April Fools joke....</font>

maybe that shouldn't be in red? [:D]

miked1958
06-01-2012, 09:29 PM
Hey guys, I know before I left this was a very touch subject around here and don't want to start anything with the moderators. Since I have been gone for the last 2 months I remember them getting ready to switch over to the new MB, I was expecting to come back to something new.. anyone know what happened?Just leave it alone

Mod_C
06-01-2012, 10:05 PM
Hey guys, I know before I left this was a very touch subject around here and don't want to start anything with the moderators. Since I have been gone for the last 2 months I remember them getting ready to switch over to the new MB, I was expecting to come back to something new.. anyone know what happened?

Are we really perceived as being that difficult to deal with?

There was a glitch in the third party software. We had a pinned thread set up to keep track of the process and that turned out to be a bad idea. I, personally, have no idea where the process is now and, honestly, am happy with what we have.

But now that we are getting close to mandatory training, training camp, I think it may not be the time to monkey with it again. So you know, the moderators you deal with (or not) day to day have nothing to do with the implementation of the "new boards."

PIERCEnumber58rules
06-01-2012, 10:23 PM
Ah yes, I remember those pinned threads well. Entertaining stuff!

BeatYale
06-01-2012, 10:43 PM
OP's put in a lot of work around here. 88 posts in 6 years. He's anxious for some new message boards! Don't disappoint the man!

Roosevelt
06-01-2012, 10:55 PM
I don't get the sensitivity over this subject.

titwio
06-01-2012, 11:03 PM
I don't get the sensitivity over this subject.

Me either...imo these new message boards are awesome!

;)

THE_New_York_Giants
06-01-2012, 11:51 PM

Are we really perceived as being that difficult to deal with?*

There was a glitch in the third party software.* We had a pinned thread set up to keep track of the process and that turned out to be a bad idea.* I, personally, have no idea where the process is now and, honestly, am happy with what we have.

But now that we are getting close to mandatory training, training camp, I think it may not be the time to monkey with it again.* So you know, the moderators you deal with (or not) day to day have nothing to do with the implementation of the "new boards."

I've never had a problem with the mods on these boards being tools.

EN-WHY14
06-02-2012, 12:32 AM
Love the MB the way they are....good job mod team!

conlsmc06
06-02-2012, 11:06 AM

There was a glitch in the third party software.* We had a pinned thread set up to keep track of the process and that turned out to be a bad idea.* I, personally, have no idea where the process is now and, honestly, am happy with what we have.

But now that we are getting close to mandatory training, training camp, I think it may not be the time to monkey with it again.* So you know, the moderators you deal with (or not) day to day have nothing to do with the implementation of the "new boards."

I've never had a problem with the mods on these boards being tools.

Lol

Redeyejedi
06-02-2012, 11:15 AM
Hey guys, I know before I left this was a very touch subject around here and don't want to start anything with the moderators. Since I have been gone for the last 2 months I remember them getting ready to switch over to the new MB, I was expecting to come back to something new.. anyone know what happened?Dude they said we would have new Boards last year and the year before that. IO hope when they do do they we can embed Youtube Videos

jakegibbs
06-02-2012, 11:20 AM

My Pappy uses an ole saying that applies in this case>>> "Why try & fix something that ain't broke". Me myself & I really don't see anythings wrong with the message board but what does an old man like me know anyway.

The only gripe I have is I don't know how to copy a link & paste it on this board & make it work like eveybody else does but that's not the boards fault it's mine for not knowing enough about this new fangeled computer stuff.

jomo
06-02-2012, 11:23 AM
Hey guys, I know before I left this was a very touch subject around here and don't want to start anything with the moderators. Since I have been gone for the last 2 months I remember them getting ready to switch over to the new MB, I was expecting to come back to something new.. anyone know what happened?This is like a Sinorice Moss thread lol.</P>

Bill Parcells would say, "you are what your message boards say you are." This is what we are boys and girls. No big deal, we've got a season to prepare for. Sweep aside the distactions.</P>

</P>

bigjeep
06-02-2012, 11:29 AM

There was a glitch in the third party software. We had a pinned thread set up to keep track of the process and that turned out to be a bad idea. I, personally, have no idea where the process is now and, honestly, am happy with what we have.

But now that we are getting close to mandatory training, training camp, I think it may not be the time to monkey with it again. So you know, the moderators you deal with (or not) day to day have nothing to do with the implementation of the "new boards."
My Pappy uses an ole saying that applies in this case&gt;&gt;&gt; "Why try &amp; fix something that ain't broke". Me myself &amp; I really don't see anythings wrong with the message board but what does an old man like me know anyway. The only gripe I have is I don't know how to copy a link &amp; paste it on this board &amp; make it work like eveybody else does but that's not the boards fault it's mine for not knowing enough about this new fangeled computer stuff. From one old man to another, don't you use glue to paste? [*-)]

jakegibbs
06-02-2012, 11:32 AM

My Pappy uses an ole saying that applies in this case>>> "Why try & fix something that ain't broke". Me myself & I really don't see anythings wrong with the message board but what does an old man like me know anyway. The only gripe I have is I don't know how to copy a link & paste it on this board & make it work like eveybody else does but that's not the boards fault it's mine for not knowing enough about this new fangeled computer stuff. From one old man to another, don't you use glue to paste?* [*-)]

Now they got that new stuff call Super Glue. Ever used that?

bigjeep
06-02-2012, 11:42 AM

My Pappy uses an ole saying that applies in this case&gt;&gt;&gt; "Why try &amp; fix something that ain't broke". Me myself &amp; I really don't see anythings wrong with the message board but what does an old man like me know anyway. The only gripe I have is I don't know how to copy a link &amp; paste it on this board &amp; make it work like eveybody else does but that's not the boards fault it's mine for not knowing enough about this new fangeled computer stuff. From one old man to another, don't you use glue to paste? [*-)] Now they got that new stuff call Super Glue. Ever used that?</P>

Yea, but it messed up my screen! [:$]</P>

derekunion28
06-03-2012, 04:23 PM
you guys are chrcters..... these ARE the new boards......duhhhh

slipknottin
06-03-2012, 04:28 PM
Honestly, it takes maybe 2-3 hours to setup a new Vb board.

Why they were trying to migrate all the usernames and posts and everything I have no idea. Just open a new one and let people move their own accounts over.

This forum deletes posts that are like a year old anyway.

gmen0820
06-03-2012, 04:32 PM
Am I the only one who really likes the way the message board is right now? I hate other formats, this is why this is the only one I actually enjoy posting on.

slipknottin
06-03-2012, 04:34 PM
Am I the only one who really likes the way the message board is right now? I hate other formats, this is why this is the only one I actually enjoy posting on.

I hate this forum software. It doesnt even auto hyperlink!

gmen0820
06-03-2012, 04:36 PM

I hate this forum software. It doesnt even auto hyperlink!That's true, but this is the only one that I've ever posted on, so I'm pretty accustomed to all of it (including it's short comings).

I've tried posting on like footballs future (which I think is the vB thing people are talking about), and I don't really like it that much. I guess it's just a matter of preference, and I side with the [vast] minority.

slipknottin
06-03-2012, 04:40 PM
I've tried posting on like footballs future (which I think is the vB thing people are talking about), and I don't really like it that much. I guess it's just a matter of preference, and I side with the [vast] minority.

FFs forum is php. which is open source and free. I personally dont like it nearly as much as Vb, but it is still more functional than the software they have here.

gmen0820
06-03-2012, 04:43 PM

FFs forum is php. which is open source and free. I personally dont like it nearly as much as Vb, but it is still more functional than the software they have here.What about the Eagles forum, I don't really like that much either, and I'm pretty sure that is the vB type.

Only one I've like other than ours would probably be the Packer forum, which was like Facebook.

slipknottin
06-03-2012, 04:48 PM
eagles forum is ipboard.

Packerforum.com? that is xenforo.

gmen0820
06-03-2012, 04:50 PM
eagles forum is ipboard.

Packerforum.com? that is xenforo.****...okay I'm just gonna stop talking now hahah

slipknottin
06-03-2012, 04:50 PM
offtopic.com is vb

I believe that is the largest vb forum online.

miked1958
06-03-2012, 04:51 PM
No your not the only one. I think a lot of us were just going with the flow when they announced they were upgrading. I for one think the Boards are fine the way they are and leave well enough alone.

miked1958
06-03-2012, 04:53 PM
Afterall we won 2 SBs and dominated most of the 08 regular season with our MB under this format. I say don't change anything till we are eliminated from contention in 2012

miked1958
06-03-2012, 04:55 PM

I agree. I am happy with what we have as well. Won 2 SBs with Boards this way. And I also think u are correct that with training Camp and preseaon right around the corner we should leave it be

miked1958
06-03-2012, 04:56 PM
I know a ton of work and hours have been spent on the upgrade so I don't feel it should be scraped. However maybe we should take a poll on the boards about leaving it be for 2012?

slipknottin
06-03-2012, 04:59 PM
Won 2 SBs with Boards this way.

so these message boards are "a winner"?

A new forum would provide so much more functionality, mods especially would likely love the improvements, would make their jobs easier.

This forum software NEEDS to be replaced at some point, keep putting it off putting it off, now is the absolute perfect time to do it. There is nothing at all going on right now in the offseason.

Drez
06-03-2012, 06:30 PM

A new forum would provide so much more functionality, mods especially would likely love the improvements, would make their jobs easier.

This forum software NEEDS to be replaced at some point, keep putting it off putting it off, now is the absolute perfect time to do it. There is nothing at all going on right now in the offseason.
Even if we miss a little OTA/min-camp discussion, it's not that big of a deal.

jomo
06-03-2012, 06:42 PM
I know a ton of work and hours have been spent on the upgrade so I don't feel it should be scraped. However maybe we should take a poll on the boards about leaving it be for 2012?lol not really our call. I appreciate that they aren't rushing forward just to hit an arbitrary deadline.............like last year's bye week lol. Seriously, when they are ready, we will be ready. </P>

Take the time you need to get it right.</P>

DragonSoul
06-03-2012, 08:11 PM
Hey guys, I know before I left this was a very touch subject around here and don't want to start anything with the moderators. Since I have been gone for the last 2 months I remember them getting ready to switch over to the new MB, I was expecting to come back to something new.. anyone know what happened?I wouldn't worry about it, because after 12/21/2012 it won't matter anymore lol

Or actually that may be the official day it gets launched lol :D

DragonSoul
06-03-2012, 08:13 PM

This forum software NEEDS to be replaced at some point, keep putting it off putting it off, now is the absolute perfect time to do it. There is nothing at all going on right now in the offseason.Agreed... I wouldn't care if the forums were down as long as they were up by the 1st game (preferably a few days prior to it)... Sometimes you have to just jump in and deal with what may arise.

byron
06-03-2012, 08:22 PM
Rome wasn't built in day ! nor will the new message board...I hear they called techsupport shouldn't be long now ...;)

bigblue5611
06-03-2012, 08:48 PM

I agree, Mr Mod, sir...i'm happy with what we have ...not sure what the impetus for new boards was anyway...

Drez
06-03-2012, 09:30 PM

I agree, Mr Mod, sir...i'm happy with what we have ...not sure what the impetus for new boards was anyway...
The software is very out of date and lacks a lot of functionality, particularly on the administrative side (moving, merging, purging threads, spam control, etc.).

I like the layout of these boards, but overall an upgrade is desperately needed.

giantman8493
06-03-2012, 09:33 PM

I've never had a problem with the mods on these boards being tools.I have and its not fun. They can be ruthless tyrants at times.

THE_New_York_Giants
06-03-2012, 09:36 PM

I've never had a problem with the mods on these boards being tools.I have and its not fun. They can be ruthless tyrants at times.

Oh. Well I think I'm the neighborhood drunk around here so they don't get too unhappy haha. As for the boards, there isn't anything wrong with these IMO.

JMFP2
06-03-2012, 09:38 PM

My Pappy uses an ole saying that applies in this case&gt;&gt;&gt; "Why try &amp; fix something that ain't broke". Me myself &amp; I really don't see anythings wrong with the message board but what does an old man like me know anyway. The only gripe I have is I don't know how to copy a link &amp; paste it on this board &amp; make it work like eveybody else does but that's not the boards fault it's mine for not knowing enough about this new fangeled computer stuff.</P>

</P>

My Pappy had a saying, too:</P>

"Son, these message boards are older than your Grandpa's underwear."</P>

bigjeep
06-03-2012, 09:41 PM
This board is good enough for me. I think all the photos on hear just get in the way of the "debates"

Medisleman
06-05-2012, 07:42 AM
These boards are pretty nice. Work well.

Flip Empty
06-05-2012, 08:01 AM
Yeah it's so antiquated. Many members can't even use the boards fully because they don't know HTML or BBCode. It shouldn't be that way.

MikeIsaGiant
06-05-2012, 10:17 AM
I ask for vBulletin.

I like the idea of having "rep" included in the forums where we get reputation points for our comments made in the forum.

Make it happen

Drez
06-05-2012, 07:23 PM
Yeah it's so antiquated. Many members can't even use the boards fully because they don't know HTML or BBCode. It shouldn't be that way.

Auto-hyperlinking is about the only thing that that really matters for. And learning how to use url tags isn't that difficult to do.

slipknottin
06-05-2012, 07:29 PM

Auto-hyperlinking is about the only thing that that really matters for. And learning how to use url tags isn't that difficult to do.

We cant attach images right to the forum, look how we have to go through to options to use emoticons. Im sure this place sucks for the moderators.

EJ Blue
06-05-2012, 07:34 PM
I don't come here often much either, maybe once every 2 weeks because I thought it would be pointless to invest time here racking up posts when we'd just be switching to new forum in the immediate future. I keep hoping every time I click the link to the message boards I'll be stunned by the brand spanking new forums. It's pretty funny that this thing was supposed to be up almost a year ago, like 10 months ago.

Drez
06-05-2012, 07:50 PM

We cant attach images right to the forum, look how we have to go through to options to use emoticons. Im sure this place sucks for the moderators.
The boards do suck for the mods.

You can copy/paste images directly to the boards, you just can't upload them (in fact, that's how I do it 95% of the time). If I recall, these boards have that capability, but they disabled it to server load/loading time issues.

Actually, if you copy/paste a link from Chrome, it'll autolink it. However, the boards don't have full functionality in Chrome. The fact that the software isn't compatible with most newer browsers is a legit reason for an upgrade.

But, to say that one of the main reasons why is because people are too lazy to learn a few BBCode tags is silly.

slipknottin
06-05-2012, 08:00 PM
Frankly the search engine and the fact that posts older than ~ a year get auto deleted is reason enough for new software for me.

Drez
06-05-2012, 08:11 PM
Frankly the search engine and the fact that posts older than ~ a year get auto deleted is reason enough for new software for me.

The search engine is borked.

Most forum software offers an auto-parsing feature for inactive threads. Helps with server load and space, etc. However, not all threads get auto-deleted here. They just get hidden. At the bottom of the TAGF (or any of the other forum pages) click the Forum Options button. Then select Show All. Not every thread is available, and I think most get locked after a certain time, but they are there so you can link to them if you want.

But, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, the boards are definitely in need of an upgrade.

derekunion28
06-05-2012, 08:20 PM
like the Rep idea and new functions cant wait for any upgrades

Tuckit91
06-05-2012, 08:29 PM
I don't come here often much either, maybe once every 2 weeks because I thought it would be pointless to invest time here racking up posts when we'd just be switching to new forum in the immediate future. I keep hoping every time I click the link to the message boards I'll be stunned by the brand spanking new forums. It's pretty funny that this thing was supposed to be up almost a year ago, like 10 months ago.

People really come here to up their post count?? REALLY? Why does it matter what your post count is? I come to read what everyone has to say about the Giants and some times I put in my 2 cents..I just like the fact I can go somewhere and talk about the Giants with other fans,

EJ Blue
06-05-2012, 08:35 PM

People really come here to up their post count?? REALLY? Why does it matter what your post count is? I come to read what everyone has to say about the Giants and some times I put in my 2 cents..I just like the fact I can go somewhere and talk about the Giants with other fans,Well you completely missed the point. Racking up posts means that I would be here a lot, being involved in discussions instead of lurking, and I didn't want to do that until the new boards were set up because I don't like this format.

And that brings up the second reason I don't post much, because people here constantly misinterpret things...

I'm better off lurking.

Tuckit91
06-05-2012, 08:45 PM

People really come here to up their post count?? REALLY? Why does it matter what your post count is? I come to read what everyone has to say about the Giants and some times I put in my 2 cents..I just like the fact I can go somewhere and talk about the Giants with other fans,Well you completely missed the point. Racking up posts means that I would be here a lot, being involved in discussions instead of lurking, and I didn't want to do that until the new boards were set up because I don't like this format.

And that brings up the second reason I don't post much, because people here constantly misinterpret things...

I'm better off lurking.

[:^)]

miked1958
06-06-2012, 02:46 AM

Your cool dude. No worries

I'm better off lurking.

Flip Empty
06-06-2012, 03:31 AM
But, to say that one of the main reasons why is because people are too lazy to learn a few BBCode tags is silly.

You don't think ease of use is important when it comes to a website? There isn't even a guide to help those who need it.

There are many reasons why this board needs an upgrade, that's just one. I could probably PM you the other reasons but chances are you'd never read it because this site doesn't even notify you when you receive one haha

DragonSoul
06-06-2012, 04:29 AM
if they ever get the forums up. I guarantee you, if not all than a great majority of posters would be very surprised on what a difference it makes, & wonder why it took so long.

You can actually have hosting sites set up the basic forum & then add functionality as you go.

barran21
06-06-2012, 04:40 AM
Reese said not enough cap room for a new forums...

DragonSoul
06-06-2012, 05:41 AM
Reese said not enough cap room for a new forums...
they put some money aside after saving some money on the osi new contract lol