PDA

View Full Version : GIANTS' JERALD INGRAM TALKS RUNNING BACK "CODE OF HONOR"

RoanokeFan
06-02-2012, 01:35 PM
GIANTS' JERALD INGRAM TALKS RUNNING BACK "CODE OF HONOR" (http://www.bigblueview.com/2012/6/2/3057968/new-york-giants-jerald-ingram-david-wilson-andre-brown-ahmad-bradshaw-darel-scott)

"New York Giants (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/new-york-giants)
running backs coach Jerald Ingram spoke with reporters following one of the
team's OTAs earlier this week. Looking over his remarks (http://www.bigblueview.com/2012/6/1/3056952/new-york-giants-running-backs-coach-jerald-ingram-andre-brown-david-wilson-joe-martinek), it is really how much emphasis his
comments put on all the things a running back has to do for the Giants that do
not involve running with the football.
<div id="col-content" class="col col-content"><div id="entries" class="entries"><div class="grid_8 entry "><div class="entry-body">

Talking about first-round pick David Wilson Ingram referenced that the Giants
need to see him make people miss, of course. That, however, is not all they are
looking for.</p>
<p class="extend-divide"><a name="storyjump"></a>http://cdn1.sbnation.com/images/blog/star-divide.v5e9d7f1.jpg</p>

"What you do at this level is another level of learning. It's also a level of
toughness. The running back has to be able to protect his offensive line,
protect his quarterback, he's got to make plays out there as an athlete, with
the ball and without the ball," Ingram said. "There's a code of honor and
respect in what we do, in being a complete running back and that's what he has
to show, protection and things like that. If he can't learn it, well how do we
utilize his ability?"</p>

Speaking about Andre Brown (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/71293/andre-brown),
Ingram referenced that Brown "has the size to pick up 250-pound linebackers" and
that one of the things the Giants need to see if he can protect quarterback Eli Manning (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/2235/eli-manning).
Same with Da'Rel Scott (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/131043/da-rel-scott),
about whom Ingram said the Giants are looking to see if he "has matured enough
now to see the complexities and again, take care of the quarterback."</p>

So, when training camp comes and you are trying to figure out who plays and
who sits look past the rushing or receiving numbers for the running backs and
look at who can -- or can't -- help keep Manning upright.</p></div></div></div></div>

RoanokeFan
06-02-2012, 01:38 PM
This gives us some insight into how much of a learning curve awaits players as they enter the NFL.

JPizzack
06-02-2012, 02:24 PM
This gives us some insight into how much of a learning curve awaits players as they enter the NFL.
</P>

Agreed....we all say it, and know it....but it's something else to see it explained lol.

That tidbit about Brown could also spell the end for Ware if it's true about his protection abilities. Ware was used on passing downs, and that's one strong suit of his. But if the Gmen decide to roll with Brown, Ware could be odd manout. Thoughts?</P>

RoanokeFan
06-02-2012, 02:31 PM
</p>

Agreed....we all say it, and know it....but it's something else to see it explained lol.

That tidbit about Brown could also spell the end for Ware if it's true about his protection abilities. Ware was used on passing downs, and that's one strong suit of his. But if the Gmen decide to roll with Brown, Ware could be odd manout. Thoughts?</p>

I think there is going to be fierce competition and that Ware making it this far speaks to the trust they have in his abilities to do what Coach Ingram has spelled out. I think we have at lot of talent that just has to be developed and how long that development takes will determine when they get the "next man up" call.

ShakeNBake
06-03-2012, 04:58 PM
</p>

That tidbit about Brown could also spell the end for Ware if it's true about his protection abilities. Ware was used on passing downs, and that's one strong suit of his. But if the Gmen decide to roll with Brown, Ware could be odd manout. Thoughts?</p>

I really hope Ware is gone, its nothing personal but if he is gone that in turn means our RBs have improved. Last year I thought Brown was going to make the squad over Ware because of his preseason performance, and if he repeats that this year I do not see why he wouldn't make the team. I think that Brown and Scott have the potential to take Ware's spot from him, hopefully they are far enough along in their development to do so.

miked1958
06-03-2012, 05:06 PM
This gives us some insight into how much of a learning curve awaits players as they enter the NFL.*
</p>

That tidbit about Brown could also spell the end for Ware if it's true about his protection abilities. Ware was used on passing downs, and that's one strong suit of his. But if the Gmen decide to roll with Brown, Ware could be odd man*out. Thoughts?</p>

I really hope Ware is gone, its nothing personal but if he is gone that in turn means our RBs have improved. Last year I thought Brown was going to make the squad over Ware because of his preseason performance, and if he repeats that this year I do not see why he wouldn't make the team. I think that Brown and Scott have the potential to take Ware's spot from him, hopefully they are far enough along in their development to do so.

Would be nice to have all these young guys pick up the slack at RB, WR, DB, TE some don't miss guys like MM, BJ and AR

mcillo
06-03-2012, 08:22 PM
This gives us some insight into how much of a learning curve awaits players as they enter the NFL.*
</P>

That tidbit about Brown could also spell the end for Ware if it's true about his protection abilities. Ware was used on passing downs, and that's one strong suit of his. But if the Gmen decide to roll with Brown, Ware could be odd man*out. Thoughts?</P> Ware is excellent at picking up the blitz.

Mod_C
06-03-2012, 08:32 PM
</p>

Here's the thing. Ingram pretty well spelled out that running with the ball is a distant second to everything else for our running backs. Ware has been playing behind Bradshaw, Ward, and Jacobs and he's still here. Is it that he's not that talented or is it that he's able to do what they ask of him and that probably trumps the unknown potential of rookies.

There will be a competition at RB and the best of the bunch will make the final 53. I recall last year many here elevating Scott to the starting lineup and we know how that ended. We run a complicated system of reads at every position and RB is, as Ingram has said, vitlal to keeping Eli upright.

GMENAGAIN
06-03-2012, 08:41 PM
</P>

That tidbit about Brown could also spell the end for Ware if it's true about his protection abilities. Ware was used on passing downs, and that's one strong suit of his. But if the Gmen decide to roll with Brown, Ware could be odd manout. Thoughts?</P>

</P>

The Giants chose Ware over Brown last year . . . not sure why that would change this year . . . . </P>