PDA

View Full Version : BILL PARCELLS VS. TOM COUGHLIN: WHEN IT COMES TO THE BEST COACH IN GIANTS' HISTORY, START THE DEBATE

RoanokeFan
06-02-2012, 09:50 PM
BILL PARCELLS VS. TOM COUGHLIN: WHEN IT COMES TO THE BEST COACH IN GIANTS' HISTORY, START THE DEBATE (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/bill-parcells-tom-coughlin-best-coach-ny-giants-history-start-debate-article-1.1088905)

Excerpt: "Bill Parcells (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Bill+Parcells) is
considered the greatest coach in Giants history and is one of the favorites to
be selected for the Pro Football Hall of Fame class of 2013. If <a title="Tom Coughlin" href="http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Tom+Coughlin">Tom
Coughlin</a> has not completely closed the gap on Parcells as the best Giants
coach of all time, he's at least a big part of the conversation now that he's
tied Parcells with his second Super Bowl championship.<div class="story-body p402_premium">

I believe the edge goes to Parcells because he’s the one who changed the
culture of the Giants and began this era of five Super Bowl appearances and four
titles beginning with the first Super Bowl in 1986. In the last 26 seasons, the
Giants have won more Super Bowls than any team (Pats and Cowboys have won three)
and only the Patriots have been in more Super Bowls with six.</p>

One more Super Bowl championship, or even appearance, and Coughlin jumps over
Parcells. Steve Owen won two NFL Championships for the Giants when he was their
coach from 1931-53, but he also lost six title games. He coached them nearly
three times longer than Parcells or Coughlin.</p>

Here’s some things to consider in the Parcells vs. Coughlin discussion:</p>

- They each won the Super Bowl in their fourth and eighth seasons with the
Giants. Parcells left after his eighth year. Coughlin, who will soon sign a
multi-year extension, has time to add to his legacy.</p>

- Parcells had to be stopped from talking to Atlanta after his first Super
Bowl and quit after his second. Once he was hired as Giants coach in 2004,
Coughlin has never wanted to leave.</p>

- Parcells’ Super Bowl championships teams were better during the regular
season. His 1986 team was 14-2 and in 1990 they were 13-3. Coughlin's Super Bowl
teams were 10-6 in 2007 and last season became the first 9-7 team to win the
Super Bowl. Parcells beat Hall of Famers John Elway and Jim Kelly in the Super
Bowl. Coughlin has twice defeated Tom Brady, a future Hall of Famer.</p>

- Coughlin, who was hired by Parcells in 1988 and worked for him for three
seasons, has won his two titles with less talent. Parcells had two Hall of Fame
players: Lawrence Taylor, the best defensive player in NFL history, and Harry
Carson, one of the top middle linebackers in history. Parcells also had Carl
Banks, better than any linebacker on Coughlin’s teams. Phil Simms would have
made the Hall of Fame if he hadn’t gotten hurt in 1990 and finished off the
Super Bowl season. Coughlin has two potential Hall of Famers: Eli Manning and
Michael Strahan, who is eligible for the first time after this season and will
be competing with Parcells for one of the five spots. He also has had elite
defensive players with Justin Tuck, Osi Umenyiora and Jason Pierre-Paul. Hakeem
Nicks and Victor Cruz are better than any receivers Parcells had on his Super
Bowl teams.
</p></div>- Parcells had the benefit of having Bill Belichick to run his defense.
Belichick will make the Hall of Fame for getting the Patriots to five Super
Bowls. Future head coaches Coughlin, Romeo Crennel, Al Groh and Charlie Weis
were also on Parcells’ staff. Coughlin’s staff has been solid — Kevin Gilbride
has done an excellent job with Manning for eight years and former defensive
coordinator Steve Spagnuolo had as a good a year in 2007 as Belichick ever had
as a Giants assistant. Spags went on to coach the Rams.

- Including playoff games, Parcells was 85-52-1 with the Giants; Coughlin is
82-57.</p>

It’s a tribute to Coughlin’s resiliency we can even put him anywhere near the
same level as Parcells. There has been no in-between with Coughlin’s teams:
They’ve either won the Super Bowl or been huge disappointments. He was nearly
fired after the 2006 season and was given just a one-year extension after he
basically had to re-interview for his job. He lightened up his approach with the
players, they finally had his back, and then beat the undefeated Patriots in the
Super Bowl, perhaps the second greatest Super Bowl upset in history following
the Jets over the Colts in Super Bowl III.</p>

Full disclosure: I thought the Giants should fire Coughlin after the ’06
season. He had lost the locker room, which is hard to overcome. And when the
Giants lost three straight last season to drop to 6-5 after a 6-2 start, I wrote
that if Coughlin didn’t make the playoffs, which would have continued a trend of
second-half collapses, I thought it was time for him to go. The Giants lost
another game, then won three of their last four, including the sweep of the
Cowboys, and went on another Super Bowl run.</p>

Parcells, too, was almost fired by the Giants. After he was 3-12-1 in his
first season, GM George Young flirted with the idea of hiring University of
Miami coach Howard Schnellenberger — they had worked together with the Colts.
Parcells lost both his parents that season and Young was not sure if the job was
too big for him.</p>

Parcells walked away after winning his second Super Bowl. Coughlin is
sticking around to go for his third. If he gets it, he will be the greatest
coach in Giants history."</p>

NY_Eli
06-02-2012, 10:11 PM
Can't we just say they are both great coaches?

RoanokeFan
06-02-2012, 10:13 PM
You just did [;)]

NY_Eli
06-02-2012, 10:15 PM
You just did [;)]

Well can't argue with that logic [:D]

RoanokeFan
06-02-2012, 10:19 PM
You just did [;)]

Some will agree with you while others take either side. It could be an interesting debate. Since it was Parcells who said "you are what your numbers say you are", I guess if Coughlin wins another Super Bowl before he retires, he's king.

NY_Eli
06-02-2012, 10:25 PM
You just did [;)]

Some will agree with you while others take either side.* It could be an interesting debate.* Since it was Parcells who said "you are what your numbers say you are", I guess if Coughlin wins another Super Bowl before he retires, he's king.

I don't know, you could be the best coach in the world but if you don't have talented players and a good organization supporting you you can't win super bowls.

If Parcells had Eli, would he have won more? If Coughlin had LT, would he win more? I'm not sure you can strictly judge a coach by super bowl victories. I think you have to look at the big picture of developing players and keeping a good mentality.

Then again, I can't claim to know more than Parcells on the subject, so I guess I'll take his word for it [;)]

NYG 5
06-02-2012, 10:48 PM
well, Parcells inherited a modern day version of the Cleveland Browns and turned it into a powerhouse.

Coughlin took over and rebuilt an aged and broken down NFC contender team, and the culture was used to winning, as well as heartbreak.

although Coughlin deserves credit for being winning every year in the salary cap era.

RoanokeFan
06-02-2012, 10:53 PM
You just did [;)]

Some will agree with you while others take either side. It could be an interesting debate. Since it was Parcells who said "you are what your numbers say you are", I guess if Coughlin wins another Super Bowl before he retires, he's king.

I don't know, you could be the best coach in the world but if you don't have talented players and a good organization supporting you you can't win super bowls.

If Parcells had Eli, would he have won more? If Coughlin had LT, would he win more? I'm not sure you can strictly judge a coach by super bowl victories. I think you have to look at the big picture of developing players and keeping a good mentality.

Then again, I can't claim to know more than Parcells on the subject, so I guess I'll take his word for it [;)]

Parcells legacy is sealed now that he's retired. Coughlin is still in the hunt, as it were. I think Parcels gets a knock for the way he left the GIANTS and by suggesting Ray Handley take his place.

SweetZombieJesus
06-03-2012, 09:52 AM
Short version:

Parcells dominated and brought swagger back to a franchise whose best days were behind them.

Coughlin restored order and produced monumental upsets, and unlike Parcells he isn't abandoning the team like a rat.

CTLadyBlue
06-03-2012, 10:12 AM
Both great coaches - no question, but best 'all around' has to go to Parcells. Between what he did with the Giants, the Jets, the Pats and GMing for the Dolphins, his accolades reach just a little higher.

But as far as what both did for the Giants - Parcells established the blueprint. Coaches who followed him like Reeves, Fassel and Coughlin carried it on. Reeves got us back on track after the 'Handley Era' and Fassel took us to SB 35, but Coughlin has outlasted and surpassed both those coaches with a style and discipline that kept this team together when at their most desperate

RoanokeFan
06-03-2012, 10:50 AM
Both great coaches - no question, but best 'all around' has to go to Parcells. Between what he did with the Giants, the Jets, the Pats and GMing for the Dolphins, his accolades reach just a little higher.

But as far as what both did for the Giants - Parcells established the blueprint. Coaches who followed him like Reeves, Fassel and Coughlin carried it on. Reeves got us back on track after the 'Handley Era' and Fassel took us to SB 35, but Coughlin has outlasted and surpassed both those coaches with a style and discipline that kept this team together when at their most desperate

If you are going to take ALL of those other Parcells teams into account we need another thread. This is who is the greatest GIANTS coach. Coughlin gets a lot of kudos for his job at Jacksonville. Even the Jaguars' former owner has admitted he screwed up when he let Coughlin go.

But for this discussion, it's just what they did here that's at issue.

WR4Life
06-03-2012, 11:44 AM
Just throwing it out there. I know it was way back in the day but Steve Owen can't be left out of the discussion if you asked me. He coached the team for 23 years. That's pretty much forever.

g_menfan80
06-03-2012, 12:04 PM
I disagree with the "There has been no in-between with Coughlin’s teams: They’ve either won the Super Bowl or been huge disappointments." In 2008 we were by far the best team in football. I just watched the Steelers 08 America's Game and it still pisses me off because that was our year until Plax shot himself. 05 was a great division title with a young QB. 09 was a great 5-0 start until the shocking injuries to the D and the '10' team may have been a SB team if S.Smith didn't go down and we held on to that Eagle game. Point being we've been elite for more years during the TC era than the Parcell's era. TC's commitment to our Franchise give's him an edge as well

RoanokeFan
06-03-2012, 12:48 PM
I disagree with the "There has been no in-between with Coughlin’s teams: They’ve either won the Super Bowl or been huge disappointments." In 2008 we were by far the best team in football. I just watched the Steelers 08 America's Game and it still pisses me off because that was our year until Plax shot himself. 05 was a great division title with a young QB. 09 was a great 5-0 start until the shocking injuries to the D and the '10' team may have been a SB team if S.Smith didn't go down and we held on to that Eagle game. Point being we've been elite for more years during the TC era than the Parcell's era. TC's commitment to our Franchise give's him an edge as well

You have to give credit to the fact there hasn't been a losing season under TC.

SweetZombieJesus
06-03-2012, 01:43 PM
Just throwing it out there. I know it was way back in the day but Steve Owen can't be left out of the discussion if you asked me. He coached the team for 23 years. That's pretty much forever.

This. The Giants won their first championship with him as a player (he was a player-coach) and under his tenure as strictly coach they won two more and appeared in 7 more championship games.

Wellington always spoke reverently of him and that should be good enough for any of us.

However, I am all for keeping it to the modern era for this discussion.

jomo
06-03-2012, 02:06 PM
Parcells is a dislikable, self servingindividual whereas Coughin is a great person, husband, father and citizen. That doesn't count toward your question RF but I had to put it out there. Parcells' self serving nature resulted in us being stuck with Ray Handley because he thought he'd really put Young over a barrell in salary negotiations once Bellichek was gone. Parcellsoften put himself over team. There is none of that with Coughlin.</P>

Parcells was a great strategist and excellent with mid game adjustments. Coughlin seems good with that but not as great as Parcells.</P>

It is impossible to ignore how many head coaches worked for Parcells; certainly more than Coughlin.</P>

Parcells never won a Super Bowl without Bellichek. That is a little random to be compelling but it is the truth.</P>

This one is very very close but I will go with TC because as a fan I am never in doubt about his motives. TEAM is always first with him. He is highly skilled at what he does and has built an impressive record of winning and winning it all. </P>

JMFP2
06-03-2012, 09:45 PM
Coughlin is like Parcells without all the offseason drama. Unlike Parcells, the front office knows Coughlin isn't looking for greener pastures.</P>

Right now, Coughlin is the closest thing the NFL has toTom Landry.</P>

THE_New_York_Giants
06-03-2012, 10:01 PM
coughlin. Parcells abandoned the team.

RoanokeFan
06-03-2012, 10:10 PM
Parcells is a dislikable, self servingindividual whereas Coughin is a great person, husband, father and citizen. That doesn't count toward your question RF but I had to put it out there. Parcells' self serving nature resulted in us being stuck with Ray Handley because he thought he'd really put Young over a barrell in salary negotiations once Bellichek was gone. Parcellsoften put himself over team. There is none of that with Coughlin.</p>

Parcells was a great strategist and excellent with mid game adjustments. Coughlin seems good with that but not as great as Parcells.</p>

It is impossible to ignore how many head coaches worked for Parcells; certainly more than Coughlin.</p>

Parcells never won a Super Bowl without Bellichek. That is a little random to be compelling but it is the truth.</p>

This one is very very close but I will go with TC because as a fan I am never in doubt about his motives. TEAM is always first with him. He is highly skilled at what he does and has built an impressive record of winning and winning it all. </p>

Well said, my friend.

GMENAGAIN
06-03-2012, 10:17 PM
Parcells is a dislikable, self servingindividual whereas Coughin is a great person, husband, father and citizen. That doesn't count toward your question RF but I had to put it out there. Parcells' self serving nature resulted in us being stuck with Ray Handley because he thought he'd really put Young over a barrell in salary negotiations once Bellichek was gone. Parcellsoften put himself over team. There is none of that with Coughlin.</P>

Parcells was a great strategist and excellent with mid game adjustments. Coughlin seems good with that but not as great as Parcells.</P>

It is impossible to ignore how many head coaches worked for Parcells; certainly more than Coughlin.</P>

Parcells never won a Super Bowl without Bellichek. That is a little random to be compelling but it is the truth.</P>

This one is very very close but I will go with TC because as a fan I am never in doubt about his motives. TEAM is always first with him. He is highly skilled at what he does and has built an impressive record of winning and winning it all. </P>

</P>

Well said.</P>

Harooni
06-03-2012, 10:44 PM
Parcells simple. Pretty obvious

THE_New_York_Giants
06-03-2012, 11:53 PM
As much as Parcells achieved, I actually think Coughlin did a lot more. Parcells took over and the Giants were contenders... but it would be hard not to be contenders with arguably the most dominate defensive unit over a course of 5 seasons. Coughlin comes in to Jacksonville (an expansion team) and makes them a contender in one year and they go to the AFC champ game. He then made the playoffs 3 more years and made the AFC championship game again. He takes over the Giants post Fassel and post 4-12 and after one losing season, wins the division and then makes it to the playoffs 3 years in a row, including the best record in the league and a super bowl in that span. Then he has an 8-8 season and a 10-6 season where they don't make the playoffs due to some collapses and then he wins the Superbowl again. IMO, Coughlin is a proven winner. Parcells coached 19 seasons and didn't really bring his teams anywhere after the Giants. Parcells was great at having inconsistent teams. One year they go to the Superbowl, the next they are 4-12. Coughlin's teams have all been in the running with the exception of his last 3 years in Jax and first year with NY

Redeyejedi
06-04-2012, 08:24 AM

We had 1 the first 1. Although the team probably wins 8 games if they let Warner play all 16 games. Letting Eli get some of th growing pains out was a better choice though

Harooni
06-04-2012, 09:42 AM
Coughlin had a lot of close calls winning games . I feel as if Parcells teams were more complete and solid. Parcells was a better teacher as well as his OC's go on to greatness. Also Parcells was more liked with the players than TC, although in recent years TC has softened up.

nygsb42champs
06-04-2012, 09:50 AM
Both have done great things for the Giants. Parcells brought us out of a dark period of Giants football. TC has returned us to glory. To close to call.

hungrrrry
06-06-2012, 08:51 AM
Can't we just say they are both great coaches?I'm "all in" on that

yatitle
06-06-2012, 10:51 AM
Well said. Edge goes to TC, the guy who has ALWAYS wanted to be here.

G-Man67
06-06-2012, 01:01 PM
the thing with Parcells is that he brought us out of absolute futility ... we were an embarassment in the 70s and early 80s</P>

the Fassel era was not an embarassment and Coughlin was left with some good pieces to the puzzle and, of course, EA delivered the greatest prize of all</P>

having said that Coughlin has had to endure an almost constant buzz about him being fired ... he had to deal with a team mutiny when Tiki was here ... he had to hear over and over about how he was out of touch and too "mean" to succeed</P>

but he never wavered ... to his credit he did soften a little bit, but the biggest thing that caused the players to embrace him was success and the success has been pretty steady .... as another poster pointed out ... not one single losing season</P>

im going to give Parcells the slight edge right now, but guess who is still coaching ...</P>

Captain Chaos
06-06-2012, 01:53 PM
Can't we just say they are both great coaches?

Really!

Toadofsteel
06-06-2012, 02:13 PM
They're both great coaches, but Parcells jumped ship when he got the chance. Coughlin will stay on board even if the entire ship is burning and sinking around him and the fans reject him. So in my mind it's advantage Coughlin. Maybe you could argue that Parcells is a better coach overall, but Coughlin is a better GIANTS coach...

alau53
06-06-2012, 02:23 PM
the best coach in football today is bill bellicheck..parcells has not been very succesful without mr. hoody as his top coordinator..tom has won with coaches that have not had the success of bill belecheck..advantage TC

Dorkasaurus
06-06-2012, 02:32 PM
Coughlin had a lot of close calls winning games . I feel as if Parcells teams were more complete and* solid. Parcells was a better teacher as well as his OC's go on to greatness.* Also Parcells was more liked with the players than TC, although in recent years TC has softened up.

You shot holes in your own argument. You state that Parcells had the more well rounded team then go on saying Parcells had a better coaching staff.... to me this say Parcells had the easier route to two Superbowl wins he had the better coaches and better team.

As for being more liked...what is your proof ? Parcells was a demanding coach asking the best of his players. Something Coughlin took in while working with Parcells.

Dorkasaurus
06-06-2012, 02:41 PM
the best coach in football today is bill bellicheck..parcells has not been very succesful without mr. hoody as his top coordinator..tom has won with coaches that have not had the success of bill belecheck..advantage TC

Okay you say that Parcells is not very good without Belichick so Coughlin is better then Parcells. Yet, proclaim Belichick as the best coach in the league, you know Both of Coughlin's SB wins were over Belichick

yoeddy
06-06-2012, 02:56 PM
Parcells never won a Super Bowl without Bellichek.

Neither has Coughlin... ;-)

gmen46
06-06-2012, 04:06 PM

Actually, Coughlin has not won a Super Bowl without Bellichick, either.......on the other sideline.

B&RWarrior
06-06-2012, 04:43 PM

Best Giants coach was Bill Parcels. We clearly had more dominant teams with the Tuna. 85' Giants were a really good team. 86" was the most dominant Giants team of all time. 87' would have been another year of domination w/o LT suspension. 80' and90' team was dominant as well 90' team started off 10-0. NFC East of the Parcells Era was better than that of the TC era. 49ers of the Tuna error were better than the Pats of the TC era.

2008 was are only truly dominant season under TC. We weren't dominant last year or in 2007. We barely made the playoffs both SB runs for TC and got hot at the end.

Big Tuna...the best EVER...until TC wins again.

I'm a defense guy at heart. So I prefer Parcells football to TC football if I had to choose. I like winning above all.

JMFP2
06-06-2012, 04:44 PM
And Parcells never had the benefit of working with Jerry Reese.</P>

Frankly, I think George Young deserves as much blame for the Giants demise as he gets credit for rebuilding the Giants.</P>

Ernie Accorsi spent much of his career repairing the damage that George Young caused due to his big ego and inability to handle free agency. Then, Ernie turned over a loaded roster to Jerry Reese. Reese, to his credit, has built on Ernie's success.</P>

Young was ready to can Parcells the year he went 3-12-1, the same year his mom and dad died. Thankfully, Wellington Mara didn't let that happen.....but that pretty much poisoned the well between Young and Parcells.</P>

People always blame Parcells for splitting after Belichick took the Browns job. But, it was common knowledge among the coaching staff that Young and Parcells did not get along. And that extended to Parcells coaching staff. Young never had any intention of hiring Belichick for the HC spot. Surely, Belichick understood that. Likewhise, Coughlin was a "Parcells guy", and I'm sure the writing was on the wall when he decided to jump to Boston College.</P>

So, George Young let Parcells (2), Belichick (3), and Coughlin (2) all split.......that's 7 Super Bowl Champs that left the building under his stewardship.</P>

Instead, George Young went with Ray Handley.....that ranks right up there with choosing Allie Sherman over Vince Lombardi and Tom Landry.</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

yoeddy
06-06-2012, 05:39 PM

Actually, Coughlin has not won a Super Bowl without Bellichick, either.......on the other sideline.

I think that's what I meant...

miked1958
06-06-2012, 06:43 PM
You just did [;)]

Yep i am with the crowd that says they are both great. but TC will have one up on him if he gets his 3rd

gmen46
06-07-2012, 04:47 AM

I think that's what I meant...

I think I jumped without looking :)

redbeardxxv
06-07-2012, 06:35 AM
Parcells took a team that was a joke, and put them on the path to respectability, won a SB and stayed in contention for several years, then got another SB and bailed. TC took a team that had taken a wrong turn (Handley,Fassel)and straightened them out, won a SB, and then managed it again. Both coaches won a SB on the backs of their DC (Belicheck in 90, Spags in 07) Both coaches won on a team effort (86/12) Both fielded respectable teams in between. Both had SB's 4 years apart. I'm a big Parcels fan, having grown up with him as coach, but........ one coach bailed on the team, one stuck with it when he was the whipping boy of the NFL. (Remember the disciplinarian dictator?)Sorry folks, but TC's loyalty gives him the edge. Everything else is freakishly similar, had Parcels been true Blue.......

Toadofsteel
06-07-2012, 10:28 AM
Parcells took a team that was a joke, and put them on the path to respectability, won a SB and stayed in contention for several years, then got another SB and bailed. TC took a team that had taken a wrong turn (Handley,Fassel)and straightened them out, won a SB, and then managed it again. Both coaches won a SB on the backs of their DC (Belicheck in 90, Spags in 07) Both coaches won on a team effort (86/12) Both fielded respectable teams in between. Both had SB's 4 years apart. I'm a big Parcels fan, having grown up with him as coach, but........ one coach bailed on the team, one stuck with it when he was the whipping boy of the NFL. (Remember the disciplinarian dictator?)Sorry folks, but TC's loyalty gives him the edge. Everything else is freakishly similar, had Parcels been true Blue.......

This is what I've been arguing... Parcells might be a better overall coach, but TC is the better GIANTS coach. And that's what we're debating here...

THE_New_York_Giants
06-07-2012, 10:31 AM

This is what I've been arguing... Parcells might be a better overall coach, but TC is the better GIANTS coach. And that's what we're debating here...

TC is the better coach IMO. Look what he did to Jacksonville, AN EXPANSION TEAM, before he came here. The old Jags owner said his biggest regret as the owner was firing Coughlin. That tells you something.