PDA

View Full Version : JAGUARS' FIRST ROUND PICK, JUSTIN BLKACKMON, ARRESTED FOR AGGRAVATED DUI

RoanokeFan
06-03-2012, 04:14 PM
JAGUARS' FIRST ROUND PICK, JUSTIN BLACKMON, ARRESTED FOR AGGRAVATED DUI (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/19247323/jaguars-firstround-pick-justin-blackmon-arrested-for-aggravated-dui)

"Wide receiver Justin Blackmon, taken by the Jaguars (/nfl/teams/page/JAC/jacksonville-jaguars) with the No. 5 pick
in April's NFL Draft, was arrested on a complaint of aggravated DUI early Sunday
morning in Stillwater, Oklahoma, the Payne County Jail confirmed to the <a href="http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=440&amp;articleid=20120603_440_ 0_Frekao578471">Tulsa
World</a>. Blackmon, 22, was booked at 10 AM local time. According to
Oklahoma law, <a href="http://www.siferslaw.com/Aggravated%20DUI%20in%20Oklahoma.html">aggravated
DUI</a> applies to drivers with blood alcohol levels of at least .15.

It's not the first legal entanglement for the former Oklahoma State
star. In October 2010, Blackmon was arrested in Carrollton, Texas <a href="http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OSU/article.aspx?subjectid=93&amp;articleid=20101026_93_0_ ACarro324261">on
a DUI complaint</a> after attending a Dallas Cowboys (/nfl/teams/page/DAL/dallas-cowboys) game.

“There were
field sobriety tests given on the side of the road,” the public information
officer for the Carrollton Police Department told the World at the
time. “The officer determined that there was a detectable amount (of alcohol) on
(Blackmon).”

Blackmon was subsequently <a href="http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8298a45e/article/jaguars-justin-blackmon-arrested-for-aggravated-dui">suspended
by his college coach Mike Gundy for one game</a>.

The Jaguars traded up
to take Blackmon, who immediately upgrades the receivers corps. In 38 games at
Oklahoma State, the 6-1, 207-pound wideout caught 252 passes for 3,564 yards and
40 touchdowns. He declared for the draft following his junior season in which he
hauled in 121 passes for 1,522 yards and 18 scores from eventual Browns (/nfl/teams/page/CLE/cleveland-browns)' first-rounder,
quarterback Brandon Weeden.

Blackmon and the Jaguars have yet to come to
contract terms, but because of the rookie wage scale that is part of the new
collective bargaining agreement, he's expected to make somewhere close to $20
million."

greenca190
06-03-2012, 04:38 PM
How does any GM or owner give this guy 20 million dollars now?

RoanokeFan
06-03-2012, 05:12 PM

I don't think they have a choice based on where he was drafted.

greenca190
06-03-2012, 05:18 PM

I don't think they have a choice based on where he was drafted.

I know. Basically what I'm saying is, if the Jaguars do the right thing, they wouldn't get involved with this guy in a professional relationship. Two DUI's by the time he's 22. It just came in that we three times over the legal limit this morning at 10 A.M. at .24. You have to think the guy has to stop drinking at some point if he gets pulled over at 10 A.M. How much could his BAC have possibly been three hours before that?

Sounds like the guy isn't just some college kid adjusting to becoming an adult. Sounds like has a serious problem that could prove lethal at some point.

GMENAGAIN
06-03-2012, 06:44 PM
The Jaguars were guessing that his previous DUI was an abberation . . . . looks like they may have guessed wrong.</P>

GMENAGAIN
06-03-2012, 06:44 PM
How does any GM or owner give this guy 20 million dollars now?</P>

For a cab?</P>

RoanokeFan
06-03-2012, 07:25 PM
It just defies logic that these guys can't just get a ride when they've been drinking

greenca190
06-03-2012, 07:26 PM
How does any GM or owner give this guy 20 million dollars now?</P>

For a cab?</P>

The guy posted 1,000 dollar bail this morning. Couldn't have used a portion of that for a cab today?

I legitimately like Shahid Kahn, and think he is developing a pretty awesome environment with the team down there. Obviously it's a lot easier for an outsider to say to cut bait with Blackmon in the beginning, because he is their first round pick, they traded picks for him, if he goes somewhere else and lights it up, etc. But it is the right decision. Unfortunately, it won't be the decision that is eventually made.

TuckYou
06-04-2012, 12:06 PM
A lot of people kill the Jags, but they did the right thing moving up to get this guy. This is just some bad luck for them. I guess they need to do their homework a bit more on there WRs. </P>

Jags have drafted 4 WRs in the 1st round, and all 4 have been arrested. RJ Soward, Reggie Williams, Matt Jones and now Justin Blackmon. Not to mention Jimmy Smiths issues with alcohol.</P>

THE_New_York_Giants
06-04-2012, 12:17 PM
Looks like the Jags will be getting this guy a driver from now on.

lawl
06-04-2012, 01:11 PM
What a ****. He's already on my fantasy team

Ntegrase96
06-06-2012, 09:29 AM
A lot of people kill the Jags, but they did the right thing moving up to get this guy. This is just some bad luck for them. I guess they need to do their homework a bit more on there WRs. </p>

Jags have drafted 4 WRs in the 1st round, and all 4 have been arrested. RJ Soward, Reggie Williams, Matt Jones and now Justin Blackmon. Not to mention Jimmy Smiths issues with alcohol.</p>

Bad luck? I think you nailed it with your second sentence-- should have probably done some more homework. Would you have said that it was a good move if they moved up to get Dez Bryant? Probably, not and that's why he plummeted all the way to the 20s in the first round. Yet, Blackmon was a worse prospect coming out of college.

I've heard nothing but how Dez is trouble while Blackmon would be the real deal when pretty much everything pointed to the contrary. It's like the rest of the country never actually watched Blackmon play or kept up with him at all. He's <u>not</u> a better talent and he's even more troubled off the field.