PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Officials

fizzlestick
06-04-2012, 11:17 AM
<a class="account-group js-account-group js-action-profile js-user-profile-link" href="https://twitter.com/#%21/AdamSchefter" data-user-id="51263592"><span class="username js-action-profile-name"><s>@</s>AdamSchefter</span>
</a>

<p class="js-tweet-text">Talks between NFL and officials for new
deal have broken off. NFL has advised all teams it is now working to
hire replacement officials.</p><p class="js-tweet-text">
</p><p class="js-tweet-text">I like it.
</p>

jomo
06-04-2012, 11:40 AM
<a class="account-group js-account-group js-action-profile js-user-profile-link" href="https://twitter.com/#%21/AdamSchefter" data-user-id="51263592"><span class="username js-action-profile-name"><s>@</s>AdamSchefter</span>
</a>

</p>Excellent idea, we need a significant upgrade and also need to shave the average age of officials by about 15 years. The game moves too fast for many of the current officials.

MikeIsaGiant
06-04-2012, 11:44 AM
Definitely need some younger guys out there

sg92
06-04-2012, 11:48 AM
This is all yibber yabber to give the NFL some negotiating leverage. The same old guys will be there come the beginning of the season.

jimsgints
06-04-2012, 01:45 PM
This is all yibber yabber to give the NFL some negotiating leverage. The same old guys will be there come the beginning of the season.
I believe this to be true. Too bad though, the league could use some younger blood. They couldn't be any worse.

Rat_bastich
06-04-2012, 01:46 PM
Maybe they will disband their union too.

Rat_bastich
06-04-2012, 01:49 PM
</a>

</p>Excellent idea, we need a significant upgrade and also need to shave the average age of officials by about 15 years. The game moves too fast for many of the current officials.

Except Ed Hochuli, he is bigger than some of the players. I think when he says something they listen...and are somewhat intimidated.

Drez
06-04-2012, 01:51 PM
</a>

</p>
Yeah, because the full time officials were so spot on, these replacements are going to be better?

Really?

JPizzack
06-04-2012, 01:52 PM
I like the idea of getting younger officials. people tend to get too relaxed in their current roles, and fresh blood is needed to keep everyone on their toes so to speak. And yes, having a bunch of 60 year olds is hardly adequate for officiating some of the best athletes in the world
However, I dont think this news is going to cause a change. most likely this is just to keep these guys in check during contract issues.

Drez
06-04-2012, 01:55 PM
I like the idea of getting younger officials. people tend to get too relaxed in their current roles, and fresh blood is needed to keep everyone on their toes so to speak. And yes, having a bunch of 60 year olds is hardly adequate for officiating some of the best athletes in the world
However, I dont think this news is going to cause a change. most likely this is just to keep these guys in check during contract issues.
How do we know the replacement officials are going to be younger? How do we know it's not going to be a bunch of retired college officials?

Officiating will have a serious drop if we have replacements. We will have a bunch of guys out there, even if young, that are not as familiar with the nuances of rules of professional football as the officials we have now.

JPizzack
06-04-2012, 01:56 PM
Yeah, because the full time officials were so spot on, these replacements are going to be better?

Really?
</P>

with long tenures comes relaxed tendancies, and complacence.
New officials would make a difference as far as I'm concerned.</P>

slipknottin
06-04-2012, 01:57 PM
I will gladly volunteer myself to ref all the eagles games.

giantsforce
06-04-2012, 01:58 PM
Definitely need some younger guys out thereYeah, the NFL said they are training the replacements right now. I just can see the kind of training they are getting: "Hey new guys, if the team has a NY logo on their helmet, you call a penalty often. If you are not sure if it is a penalty, call it anyway, but don't be stupid to ask on camera the opposing player if it was the right call."

Drez
06-04-2012, 04:20 PM

Really?
</p>

with long tenures comes relaxed tendancies, and complacence.
New officials would make a difference as far as I'm concerned.</p>
New officials hired in a normal way that go through proper training and guidance, yes, probably would make a difference. New officials hired in a hurry and rushed into a job, probably not.

Ask yourself this: Are replacement athletes an improvement?

nygpolishpunk
06-04-2012, 04:43 PM
Having replacement officials can be a bad thing for the NFL overall. Chances of missed or wrong calls goes way up. These guys won't have the experience.

My initial thought was also, Great officiating needed an upgrade! but this may not necessarily be an upgrade, it could be a serious downgrade from the mess that it already was.

buddy33
06-04-2012, 04:47 PM
The official where brutal to the Giants last year but be careful what you wish for. Replacemts could be worse than the pros.

FBomb
06-04-2012, 04:48 PM
Maybe if the amount of bad calls goes up, the law of averages says at least SOME calls go the Giants way. Which is better than NO calls going the Giants way. [;)]

Gianthunter
06-04-2012, 05:34 PM
<SPAN class="username js-action-profile-name"><S>@</S>AdamSchefter</SPAN> (https://twitter.com/#%21/AdamSchefter)
<P class=js-tweet-text>Talks between NFL and officials for new deal have broken off. NFL has advised all teams it is now working to hire replacement officials.</P>
<P class=js-tweet-text>
</P>
<P class=js-tweet-text>I like it.
</P>Excellent idea, we need a significant upgrade and also need to shave the average age of officials by about 15 years. The game moves too fast for many of the current officials.Wrong.

titwio
06-04-2012, 05:48 PM
But will the new officials know how to call a one-sided Packers game?

That's the big question.

JesseJames
06-04-2012, 05:48 PM
the thought of replacement officials in the NFL is a scary thought to me, we hated bad calls before, wow wait til we see what this crap will bring. I remember replacement football players filling out spots on NFL teams and they were atrocious so I can just imagine the same thing for officials...

miked1958
06-04-2012, 07:50 PM
Replacement can't do worse then the idiots we had last season. That was some of tether worst officiating I have seen in 40 yrs

Captain Chaos
06-04-2012, 08:02 PM
</a>

ROTFLMAO, Love it Jomo!