PDA

View Full Version : ARBITRATOR REJECTS APPEAL, SANCTIONS FOR BOUNTYGATE IN NFL'S HANDS

RoanokeFan
06-04-2012, 11:09 AM
ARBITRATOR REJECTS APPEAL, SANCTIONS FOR BOUNTYGATE IN NFL'S HANDS (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/19255459/arbitrator-rejects-appeal-puts-bountygate-punishment-in-nfls-hands)

"Arbitrator Stephen Burbank on Monday rejected the appeals of four New Orleans Saints (/nfl/teams/page/NO/new-orleans-saints) players, who
were attempting to take NFL-imposed Bountygate suspensions out of comissioner
Roger Goodell's hands, CBSSports.com has learned.

When Goodell suspended the players -- Jonathan Vilma (/nfl/players/playerpage/493101/jonathan-vilma), Scott Fujita (/nfl/players/playerpage/302025/scott-fujita) (now with
Browns), Will Smith (/nfl/players/playerpage/493067/will-smith) and
Anthony Hargrove (/nfl/players/playerpage/492954/anthony-hargrove)
(now with Packers) -- the NFLPA appealed on their behalf, saying discipline in
the case should be under Burbank's jurisdiction. Burbank rejected that notion,
several sources said. An official announcement is expected soon. </p>

This means that Goodell's disciplinary process in the Saints matter will move
forward under NFL jurisdiction." </p>

jomo
06-15-2012, 12:51 PM
Thankfully

Joe Morrison
06-15-2012, 02:22 PM
Thankfully ditto

RoanokeFan
06-15-2012, 04:56 PM
Let's hope it's the last we hear of such a program anywhere in the NFL

BigBlue121
06-15-2012, 05:11 PM
so what happens if drew brees does not sign by the 16th?

NYGRealityCheck
06-15-2012, 06:05 PM
so what happens if drew brees does not sign by the 16th?

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/drew-brees-grievance-hearing-set-115605191--nfl.html

Can't see why anyone would say no to guaranteed money in terms of $16.4 million. I don't think the Saints can win the Superbowl next season with a brand new coach instead of suspended Sean Payton. Brees can just go on cruise-control the whole season. The money is in the bank.

On the other side, I don't think the Saints are going to press too hard to satisfy Brees' demands for a long-term deal yet knowing their upcoming season is likely a lost cause already thanks to Goodell.

bELIeve_in_Giants
06-19-2012, 09:15 AM
Not popular here I know, but I think the players were punished too harshly. Haven't seen anything that really connects to bounties rather than pay for play. Why these specific players hasn't been addressed. I say Goddell's power has gone to his head.

RoanokeFan
06-19-2012, 09:29 AM
Not popular here I know, but I think the players were punished too harshly. Haven't seen anything that really connects to bounties rather than pay for play. Why these specific players hasn't been addressed. I say Goddell's power has gone to his head.

Maybe not popular, but you're not the only one who feels that way. Interestingly enough, every tid-bit of information that comes out after players complain they are being railroaded supports the League's contention that players were paid to purposely hurt other players. The Williams audio tape where he mentions specific body parts was all I needed to hear.

I think its unlikely the NFL would make this stuff up.

bELIeve_in_Giants
06-19-2012, 09:37 AM

Maybe not popular, but you're not the only one who feels that way. Interestingly enough, every tid-bit of information that comes out after players complain they are being railroaded supports the League's contention that players were paid to purposely hurt other players. The Williams audio tape where he mentions specific body parts was all I needed to hear.

I have no complaints about the coaches' punishments. They ran the system and it was well thought out. I just don't see why these players were chosen for punishment. There hasn't been any evidence that they targeted players to hurt - even if Williams was spouting off about it. The bit about Vilma putting in money against Farve is heresy to this point. Everytime more comes out - I feel it is more against the coaches, not the players.

RoanokeFan
06-19-2012, 11:13 AM

I have no complaints about the coaches' punishments. They ran the system and it was well thought out. I just don't see why these players were chosen for punishment. There hasn't been any evidence that they targeted players to hurt - even if Williams was spouting off about it. The bit about Vilma putting in money against Farve is heresy to this point. Everytime more comes out - I feel it is more against the coaches, not the players.

The NFL has stated these players can't hide behind the "coach told me to do it." There is more information coming out even now that Peter King, and others, describe as "compelling."

bELIeve_in_Giants
06-19-2012, 11:48 AM

The NFL has stated these players can't hide behind the "coach told me to do it." There is more information coming out even now that Peter King, and others, describe as "compelling."

I'll wait to see it before I declare the players guilty. Everything compelling I've seen has been against Williams - who I hope isn't allowed back into the league. Taking a year away from a player (whose time in the league is only 10 years if he's lucky vs. 30 years for a coach) is only justified if they know he tried to injure another player, imho.

bELIeve_in_Giants
06-19-2012, 12:07 PM
Peter King ?@SI_PeterKing

Saints info 3: It's abundantly clear there was a mountain of evidence for pay-for-performance, far less (but some) for bounty system ...
Expand

Retweet
Favorite

Peter King ?@SI_PeterKing

... Public will be judge if penalties fit the crime. From what I saw, some sanctions altogether justified. These sanctions seemed excessive.
Expand

Retweet
Favorite