PDA

View Full Version : Martellus Bennett update from todays OTAs

NYGiants2120
06-04-2012, 01:53 PM
Mike Garafolo?@MikeGarafolo

TE Martellus Bennett said he's 291 lbs because he's actually in great shape. Has worked to bulk up. Says his pants size has gone down. #nyg

Ralph Vacchiano?@TheBlueScreen

Great moments in sports journalism: Giants TE Martellus Bennett standing in front of the media in just shorts saying "Do I look fat?" #NYG

The intrepid @NYPost_Schwartz notes Bennett conducted his interview shirtless. "I had to let the world see" his "6 1/2 pack" abs. #nyg

Bennett said he got up to 291 because he "rocked out" in the weight room this offseason. He said he turned himself into "a physical freak."

Bennett: "I'm looking like Atlas, not Professor Klump." #HerculesHercules #nyg

Martellus Bennett on his "Atlas" body: "I'm one of the top 5 strongest guys on this team right now." #NYG

NYGiants2120
06-04-2012, 01:54 PM
Lets not jump on Bennett to fast here guys, he is almost 6 foot 7 so he may only have to drop 10 pounds.

MikeIsaGiant
06-04-2012, 02:01 PM
I bet everyone calling him fat actually looks fatter than him

timmytimm3
06-04-2012, 02:04 PM
Looking forward to seeing him open some holes for the RBs.

buddy33
06-04-2012, 02:05 PM
So all the fears of him being lazy and not dedicated can be washed away. Sounds like he is taking this very serious.

NYGiants2120
06-04-2012, 02:07 PM
So all the fears of him being lazy and not dedicated can be washed away. Sounds like he is taking this very serious.My point exactly, this guy isn't dumb. He can make a name for himself and get a nice pay day at the end of the season if he shows his potential. Also if he knew he got "fat" he sure as heck wouldnt be doing a shirtless interview with a six pack at 290 pounds.

sg92
06-04-2012, 02:08 PM
I bet everyone calling him fat actually looks fatter than him

That's pretty much a statistical certainty. Of course, I look better than him, but I don't know about the rest of you.

I'd like to believe him, but let's remember, this thing started because the coaches were saying he's too heavy for his legs. I'm glad he's defending himself, though -- that tells me that he's feeling the heat from the fans. We expect him to show up and work hard, and it seems that message has been heard.

GMENAGAIN
06-04-2012, 02:09 PM
Maybe I had the guy wrong . . . . if he is the 5th strongest guy on the team, that is pretty impressive.</P>

Do you think that his teammates will think that he is sort of a tool for publicly declaring himself the 5th strongest guy on the team? It's a little weird . . . . </P>

NYGiants2120
06-04-2012, 02:12 PM
Maybe I had the guy wrong . . . . if he is the 5th strongest guy on the team, that is pretty impressive.</P>

Do you think that his teammates will think that he is sort of a tool for publicly declaring himself the 5th strongest guy on the team?* It's a little weird . . . . </P>Not at all they shouldn't think that, if you were falsely being accused of something wouldnt you want to clear it up? thats all he did. bennett is well liked throughout the locker room it has been reported that he got along with everyone real fast

jomo
06-04-2012, 02:12 PM

Do you think that his teammates will think that he is sort of a tool for publicly declaring himself the 5th strongest guy on the team? It's a little weird . . . . </P>

I think that's wrong. On his way to the food, he is the strongest man on the team.</P>

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSe5ZVdWeKC1iMiQ2_HiJh7sb0vTUoDu CRogVTXiz89bhVLihWH</P>

sg92
06-04-2012, 02:14 PM

Do you think that his teammates will think that he is sort of a tool for publicly declaring himself the 5th strongest guy on the team?* It's a little weird . . . . </P>

I think that's wrong. On his way to the food, he is the strongest man on the team.</P>

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSe5ZVdWeKC1iMiQ2_HiJh7sb0vTUoDu CRogVTXiz89bhVLihWH</P>

lol

Eli TO Shockey
06-04-2012, 02:14 PM
This guy is funny. Atlas. LMAO!

GMENAGAIN
06-04-2012, 02:25 PM

Not at all they shouldn't think that, if you were falsely being accused of something wouldnt you want to clear it up? thats all he did. bennett is well liked throughout the locker room it has been reported that he got along with everyone real fast</P>

How do you know that he is well-like in the locker room? Link?</P>

BlueBlooded1979
06-04-2012, 02:33 PM
Muscled up or not 290 is too much for him. Lower body strength and conditioning is far more important than 6 1/2 pack abs or big hulking arms. Adding 21 lbs is going to affect his speed, quickness, flexibility, stamina and expose his legs to more injury.

Knucklehead move conducting an interview shirtless. Someone should explain the cultural differences between DAL and NYG. This reminds me of Shockey and his idiotic behavior.

slipknottin
06-04-2012, 02:35 PM
Adding 21 lbs

He didnt add 21 pounds. He added like 10.

And where are you getting the idea that all he did was build his upper body and he has tiny little legs?

buddy33
06-04-2012, 02:36 PM
Why is that to much for him? If its muscle weight I have no problem with it. Getting fat would slow him down. Even if he lost some with the added weight he will make up for it with possibly better blocking and being a huge target that doesn't go down easy.

NYGiants2120
06-04-2012, 02:41 PM

Do you think that his teammates will think that he is sort of a tool for publicly declaring himself the 5th strongest guy on the team?* It's a little weird . . . . </P>

Not at all they shouldn't think that, if you were falsely being accused of something wouldnt you want to clear it up? thats all he did. bennett is well liked throughout the locker room it has been reported that he got along with everyone real fast</P>

How do you know that he is well-like in the locker room?* Link?</P>It was honestly from the first few weeks he was signed if i could find it, ill send it to you but I wouldnt make this up lol...

myles2424
06-04-2012, 02:48 PM
Anyone that's into bodybuilding knows its impossible for majority of his weight gain to be muscle.....
He may have added strength & muscle, but he'll still need to trim off a few extra lbs of fat added in the process....

giantsfan420
06-04-2012, 02:54 PM
This is exactly what i said a few nights ago...that the weight gain could be bc we use the te so much in blocking situations, adding weight couldnt hurt bennett in this situation.

It was hilarious how many ppl were willing to write him off. Make u realize not many are truly behind this guy, although once bennett is successful here those same ppl will claim they knew all along or that they were "justified".

Im not opposed to calling bennett out, but thats something thatll happen if he plays poorly.

giantsfan420
06-04-2012, 02:58 PM
Just to add, bennett isnt gonna be a downfield threat imo. No more than ballard at least. Maybe some vert seam routes but im not expecting to see him used that way, although i do wonder if he could do that tho.
i believe we use him short to intermediate stuff...quickness and sharp route running is more important in that aspect and i dont think a few extra pounds hurts those two qualities. The weight gain would be a bad thing if he were trying to be a downfield threat. But again, imo wont be used like that. So hes a little bigger and evenly matched up with dl, thats a bad thing why?

gmen0820
06-04-2012, 03:10 PM
Anyone that's into bodybuilding knows its impossible for majority of his weight gain to be muscle.....
He may have added strength &amp; muscle, but he'll still need to trim off a few extra lbs of fat added in the process....If his pant size goes down, but his weight goes up, the majority would be muscle (how much, I don't know).

Of course it all depends on how much Bennett weighed prior to him "rocking out" in the weight room, because it isn't easy/is impossible, no matter what regiment+diet you incorporate, to gain 10+ pounds of muscle in a matter of a few months.

I think Bennett will prove to be a very solid contributor this year when all said and done.

GMENAGAIN
06-04-2012, 03:16 PM

How do you know that he is well-like in the locker room? Link?</P>

It was honestly from the first few weeks he was signed if i could find it, ill send it to you but I wouldnt make this up lol...</P>

Not busting balls . . . just wondering. </P>

Mercury
06-04-2012, 03:18 PM
It didn't really make much sense to me that he was coming in on a 1yr contract to prove himself and yet starting off on the wrong foot in the off-season. I'm glad to hear that he's getting himself ready and making this opportunity count. Go Bennett!

slipknottin
06-04-2012, 03:38 PM
Coughlin said Bennett weighed in the 270s in dallas.

So figure 275, up to 290. About 15 pounds or so he added.

Lets not forget guys that are pushing 300 pounds can fluctuate potentially 10 pounds daily.

Captain Chaos
06-04-2012, 03:54 PM
This is exactly what you would expect from a guy who has a one year contract and needs to show everyone he is ready to go. You have to know this guy is hungry!

NYGiants2120
06-04-2012, 05:26 PM
He may have added strength & muscle, but he'll still need to trim off a few extra lbs of fat added in the process....Im assuming you know nothing about bodybuilding then lol.

NYGiants2120
06-04-2012, 05:28 PM

Lets not forget guys that are pushing 300 pounds can fluctuate potentially 10 pounds daily.Your right they carry atleast 6-10 pounds just in water weight

gmen0820
06-04-2012, 05:30 PM

Lets not forget guys that are pushing 300 pounds can fluctuate potentially 10 pounds daily.Your right they carry atleast 6-10 pounds just in water weightI'd say more than that, but the way these guys are leaned out, your could be right at 6-10 lbs.

slipknottin
06-04-2012, 05:32 PM
Your right they carry atleast 6-10 pounds just in water weight

Yea, so theoretically, today he could have weighed in at lets say 285, while last year for dallas he may have had a max weight of 278 or something.

So he possibly only gained something like 7 pounds.

Its just hard to tell exactly. Its early in OTAs, guys often come in to these a little bit bigger, and burn off some of that during training.

Its in all probability not a big deal. Had he gained 20 pounds of fat by sitting on his butt all offseason, thats a different story.

Harooni
06-04-2012, 05:34 PM
come on 300lb TE??? well we could use the extra size for blocking i suppose.

http://balboavsthebulge.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/fat_man_running-1.jpg

slipknottin
06-04-2012, 05:42 PM

290 isnt really all that big for a guy who is over 6'6.

Frame wise the best comparison I could think of for Bennett is Mario Williams, who is at a similar weight.

Well maybe I shouldnt say its not that big. It is big, real big. But 290 on a 6'6+ frame can actually be really low in fat.

Harooni
06-04-2012, 05:43 PM

Frame wise the best comparison I could think of for Bennett is Mario Williams, who is at a similar weight.

yeah im just joking, I'm sure 15 or so pounds will be lost sweating it out in camp.

Drez
06-04-2012, 05:52 PM

Well maybe I shouldnt say its not that big. It is big, real big. But 290 on a 6'6+ frame can actually be really low in fat.
<div class="stream-item-header" style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: 18px; orphans: 2; text-align: -webkit-auto; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; background-color: rgb(245, 245, 245); "><strong class="fullname js-action-profile-name show-popup-with-id" style="font-weight: bold; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); ">Patricia Traina[/b]<span class="Apple-converted-space"></span><span>?</span><span class="username js-action-profile-name" style="font-size: 12px; color: rgb(153, 153, 153); direction: ltr; unicode-bidi: embed; "><s style="text-decoration: none; color: rgb(187, 187, 187); ">@</s><b style="font-weight: normal; ">Patricia_Traina[/b]</span> (https://twitter.com/#%21/Patricia_Traina)</div><p class="js-tweet-text" style="margin: 0px; word-wrap: break-word; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: 18px; orphans: 2; text-align: -webkit-auto; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; background-color: rgb(245, 245, 245); ">MArtellus Bennett said his body fat is at 13%. By training camp, he hopes to get it at 9%.</p><div class="stream-item-footer" style="overflow: hidden; font-size: 12px; padding-top: 1px; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Arial, sans-serif; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: 18px; orphans: 2; text-align: -webkit-auto; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; background-color: rgb(245, 245, 245); "><span class="details-icon js-icon-container"></span><b style="font-weight: normal; color: rgb(0, 132, 180); "><span class="expand-stream-item js-view-details"><span class="expand-action-wrapper" style="color: rgb(0, 132, 180); ">Expand</span></span>[/b] (https://twitter.com/Patricia_Traina/status/209704765012189185)<ul class="tweet-actions js-actions" style="padding: 0px; margin: 0px; list-style: none; opacity: 1; "><li class="action-reply-container" style="display: inline; "><span class="Apple-converted-space"></span><b style="font-weight: normal; color: inherit; ">Reply[/b]<span class="Apple-converted-space"></span> (https://twitter.com/#)<li class="action-rt-container" style="display: inline; "><span class="Apple-converted-space"></span><b style="font-weight: normal; color: inherit; "><span class="retweet" title="Retweet">Retweet</span>[/b]<span class="Apple-converted-space"></span> (https://twitter.com/#)<li class="action-fav-container" style="display: inline;"><span class="Apple-converted-space"></span><b style="font-weight: normal; color: inherit; "><span class="favorite" title="Favorite">Favorite</span>[/b] (https://twitter.com/#)[/list]

</p>

Not too sure what's considered normal for someone of his size, but 9%-14% doesn't seem too horrible for 6'6" and 290#.
</p></div>

slipknottin
06-04-2012, 05:59 PM
Not too sure what's considered normal for someone of his size, but 9%-14% doesn't seem too horrible for 6'6" and 290#.

for male athletes their BMI should be between 6-13%.

So he is right where he should be. Its not an issue of fat with him. Its an issue of whether his frame can actually carry the muscle he has added.

ShakeNBake
06-04-2012, 06:14 PM

for male athletes their BMI should be between 6-13%.

So he is right where he should be. Its not an issue of fat with him. Its an issue of whether his frame can actually carry the muscle he has added.

Ehh football players should have a higher BMI, only runners should have body fat around 5-7%

slipknottin
06-04-2012, 06:16 PM
Ehh* football players should have a higher BMI, only runners should have body fat around 5-7%

Depends on the position. WRs and CBs pretty much are just runners.

But I think his 9%-13% is where he should be.

GMENAGAIN
06-05-2012, 09:11 AM
Ehh football players should have a higher BMI, only runners should have body fat around 5-7%
Depends on the position. WRs and CBs pretty much are just runners. But I think his 9%-13% is where he should be.</P>

Nah, if you have any muscle mass at all, you are considered overweight on the BMI index.</P>

WR's and CB's don't have as much muscle mass as at other positions, but they have enough to make the BMI index sort of useless for them . . . </P>

</P>

buddy33
06-05-2012, 09:40 AM
He also said he is going back to yoga and Pilates after the OTA's which will trim some fat he may have gained while putting on lean mass. So by the time they play the 1st game he may be down to 280.

drbones
06-05-2012, 09:44 AM
BMI is not measured in percentages.....it is in Kg/m2

I think you are referring to body fat percentage and in that case 10-15% would be fine.

Did anyone post these pictures of "atlas" with his shirt off.

G-Man67
06-05-2012, 10:21 AM
well, haha, not sure about him yet</P>

but i'm willing to wait and see some more, however, im glad Bear Pascoe is still around</P>

</P>

NYG 5
06-05-2012, 10:22 AM
Howard Cross was 6'5 270. if this guy is 6'7, 290 is fine for him. he'll probably be more like 280 when the season starts anyway.

him and Hynoski are going to be fun to watch

GMENAGAIN
06-05-2012, 10:25 AM
BMI is not measured in percentages.....it is in Kg/m2 I think you are referring to body fat percentage and in that case 10-15% would be fine. <FONT size=4>Did anyone post these pictures of "atlas" with his shirt off</FONT>.</P>

I was wondering the same thing, but it seemed gay to ask . . . . [;)]</P>

THE_New_York_Giants
06-05-2012, 11:11 AM
He has a similar build to Canty then. If he is going to be a power possession receiver, maybe the extra muscle power will improve his game.

sg92
06-05-2012, 11:17 AM
Howard Cross was 6'5 270. if this guy is 6'7, 290 is fine for him. he'll probably be more like 280 when the season starts anyway.

him and Hynoski are going to be fun to watch

....except that Pope says he's too heavy, so your assurance that he's fine doesn't really mean too much....

Toadofsteel
06-05-2012, 11:25 AM
I'm still going to reserve judgment until this guy sees the field. It's all about production to me. Vince Wilfork is practically Jabba the Hutt. Hell, he's almost as fat as I am, but he still sets up the blocks for his linebackers nicely and even gets to the QB a lot...

THE_New_York_Giants
06-05-2012, 11:30 AM
I'm still going to reserve judgment until this guy sees the field. It's all about production to me. Vince Wilfork is practically Jabba the Hutt. Hell, he's almost as fat as I am, but he still sets up the blocks for his linebackers nicely and even gets to the QB a lot...
I'd love to have Wilfork on this team...

Looking at camp pictures, Marvin Austin looks gibungous. He is a freaking mountain.

Toadofsteel
06-05-2012, 11:32 AM
I'd love to have Wilfork on this team...

Too bad we're a 4-3 defense... kind of hard to find a place for him in this scheme. I definitely hear ya though...

Edit: now that I think of it, maybe we could get him and run a 3-3-5 nickel defense... he could stuff 3 running lanes with that frame of his...

slipknottin
06-05-2012, 03:32 PM
Edit: now that I think of it, maybe we could get him and run a 3-3-5 nickel defense... he could stuff 3 running lanes with that frame of his...

Giants already run a huge amount of 3-3-5. Something like 20% of the time.

slipknottin
06-05-2012, 03:34 PM
....except that Pope says he's too heavy, so your assurance that he's fine doesn't really mean too much....

We are still talking about something like 10 pounds. Which is almost insignificant. That will burn off in the next month or so.