PDA

View Full Version : ANOTHER FORMER GIANT WHO LEFT FOR MORE $$$$$$ IS DONE

NYGiantsFan56
06-05-2012, 05:58 AM
Seems like another former Giant who left at the top of his game for more $$$$$ is done. Seems like the Texans have parted ways with Derrick Ward. Guy left us at peak of his career for more $$$ and flopped in Tampa and never caught on with Houston. Here is a list of others who made the "Business Decision" and flopped.

1. Gibril Wilson. 1 year in the Black Hole. Don't even know if he is still playing.

2, Kevin Boss. 1 year in the Black Hole also. Now in Kansas City. Suspect he won't last their to long. Matt Cassell is no Eli and Boss will get clobbered.

3. Steve Smith. Ruined his career for money from the Dark Side. Done as a starter. Lucky if he ends up as a no. 3 receiver in his new home. He could have had a stellar career here if he didn't let the greed factor control his decision making process

4. Brandon Jacobs. Jury still out. Reports on these boards say he is no lock to make team.

5. Mario Manningham. Jury still out. I suspect he will be one year and done. Alex Smith is no Eli and Manningham's teammates are not named Cruz and Nicks. Don't spend all your extra money to fast.

We know the NFL has a business side that often effects these players, but they also need to see the other side and realize greatness and success often doesn't follow them to these lesser reams they go to for more money. Most of their success comes for playing for their team they found success with. Lets face it, the Giants have a great system with great players.

I hope our future free agents see this and take this obvious pattern into account. I rather have a long career with a little lesser money than a short career with one pay day. That's me anyway and many might not agree.

Flip Empty
06-05-2012, 06:19 AM
What "other side"? Is cash not the ultimate measure of success in this world? Why should it be any different to professional athletes?
Do you not think that extra cash has more of a positive impact on their own day-to-day life than making the playoffs?

NY_Eli
06-05-2012, 06:20 AM
I don't think it's a coincidence that the guys the Giants let go don't always fare well elsewhere. I mean, there's a reason they let them walk.

NYGiantsFan56
06-05-2012, 06:31 AM
What "other side"? Is cash not the ultimate measure of success in this world? Why should it be any different to professional athletes?
Do you not think that extra cash has more of a positive impact on their own day-to-day life than making the playoffs?

Not always in this business. There is a cap in this profession and not every one can get a big pay day especially if you are on a great team like the Giants. Success in this business doesn't always mean more money with this cap. Like I said its my opinion and I know many might not agree. If there was no cap then it would be a different situation.

bLuereverie
06-05-2012, 07:31 AM
Did Giants even actively pursue re-signing Ward with Bradshaw waiting in the wings?

Quit reveling in others' postGiants inadequacies. With exception of Jacobs [who was one of the few who offered to cut legitimate salaries], all of those guys became free agents, and earned their right to pursue financial security for them and their families.

What exactly have you done to speak on their "success" or lack of it?

WR4Life
06-05-2012, 08:12 AM
This happens to most players that leave teams for more money. Free Agency is very overrated. It's better used filling holes than signing big names. The big name signings bust more often than not.

GMENAGAIN
06-05-2012, 08:15 AM
Seems like another former Giant who left at the top of his game for more $$$$$ is done. Seems like the Texans have parted ways with Derrick Ward. Guy left us at peak of his career for more $$$ and flopped in Tampa and never caught on with Houston. Here is a list of others who made the "Business Decision" and flopped. 1. Gibril Wilson. 1 year in the Black Hole. Don't even know if he is still playing. 2, Kevin Boss. 1 year in the Black Hole also. Now in Kansas City. Suspect he won't last their to long. Matt Cassell is no Eli and Boss will get clobbered. 3. Steve Smith. Ruined his career for money from the Dark Side. Done as a starter. Lucky if he ends up as a no. 3 receiver in his new home. He could have had a stellar career here if he didn't let the greed factor control his decision making process 4. Brandon Jacobs. Jury still out. Reports on these boards say he is no lock to make team. 5. Mario Manningham. Jury still out. I suspect he will be one year and done. Alex Smith is no Eli and Manningham's teammates are not named Cruz and Nicks. Don't spend all your extra money to fast. We know the NFL has a business side that often effects these players, but they also need to see the other side and realize greatness and success often doesn't follow them to these lesser reams they go to for more money. Most of their success comes for playing for their team they found success with. Lets face it, the Giants have a great system with great players. I hope our future free agents see this and take this obvious pattern into account. I rather have a long career with a little lesser money than a short career with one pay day. That's me anyway and many might not agree.</P>

Steve Smith's career was "ruined" by injury . . . . not by his decision to go to the Eagles. As it turns out, that was a great financial move for him and his family, and a terrible move for the Eagles . . . .</P>

Redeyejedi
06-05-2012, 08:19 AM
Derreck Ward will be 32 when the season starts. Not really about leaving the Giants as its the fact he is a 32 year old RB.Ward never got a pay day until he left the Giants. Leaving finicially was the smartest thing he did. He wouldnt of made more money here

Firenugget
06-05-2012, 08:21 AM
I don't think it's a coincidence that the guys the Giants let go don't always fare well elsewhere. <font size="5"><u>I mean, there's a reason they let them walk.</u></font>

You got it.

Redeyejedi
06-05-2012, 08:29 AM
Seems like another former Giant who left at the top of his game for more $$$$$ is done. Seems like the Texans have parted ways with Derrick Ward. Guy left us at peak of his career for more $$$ and flopped in Tampa and never caught on with Houston. Here is a list of others who made the "Business Decision" and flopped. 1. Gibril Wilson. 1 year in the Black Hole. Don't even know if he is still playing. 2, Kevin Boss. 1 year in the Black Hole also. Now in Kansas City. Suspect he won't last their to long. Matt Cassell is no Eli and Boss will get clobbered. 3. Steve Smith. Ruined his career for money from the Dark Side. Done as a starter. Lucky if he ends up as a no. 3 receiver in his new home. He could have had a stellar career here if he didn't let the greed factor control his decision making process 4. Brandon Jacobs. Jury still out. Reports on these boards say he is no lock to make team. 5. Mario Manningham. Jury still out. I suspect he will be one year and done. Alex Smith is no Eli and Manningham's teammates are not named Cruz and Nicks. Don't spend all your extra money to fast. We know the NFL has a business side that often effects these players, but they also need to see the other side and realize greatness and success often doesn't follow them to these lesser reams they go to for more money. Most of their success comes for playing for their team they found success with. Lets face it, the Giants have a great system with great players. I hope our future free agents see this and take this obvious pattern into account. I rather have a long career with a little lesser money than a short career with one pay day. That's me anyway and many might not agree.</P>

Steve Smith's career was "ruined" by injury . . . . not by his decision to go to the Eagles.* As it turns out, that was a great financial move for him and his family, and a terrible move for the Eagles . . . .</P>He might never be 100% good thing he took the money. If he didnt he would be in the same situation with half the cash.
All these guys with the exception of Manningham and Jacobs got significantly bigger contracts. I love how people act if they were in their shoes and a team offered u 20 why the Giants offered 10 u wouldnt do the same. Jacobs leaving to me didnt make much sense. He didnt get much more in SF with basically no guaranteed money. Its almost like he just didnt want to be here. Manninghams contract was rather modest but im not sure the Giants even offered him money.

miked1958
06-05-2012, 08:43 AM
Did Giants even actively pursue re-signing Ward with Bradshaw waiting in the wings? Quit reveling in others' postGiants inadequacies. With exception of Jacobs [who was one of the few who offered to cut legitimate salaries], all of those guys became free agents, and earned their right to pursue financial security for them and their families. What exactly have you done to speak on their "success" or lack of it?NYGs Staff are very good at evaluating talent. they have let guys go time and time again to go with pretty much unknowns.. It has worked out in our favor everytime. That is no coincidence. and the list is even longer then what he put down.. </P>

I think </P>

Tabor can be added.</P>

K. Mitchell</P>

Fred Robbins</P>

Cofield</P>

Ross (we will see)</P>

Goff (we will see)</P>

toomer (was a KC for a season before he retired)</P>

Let Strahan and Tiki and Tyree retire. could have tried to make them play another season... turns out we didnt need them. </P>

Plax being released for his troubles... turns out in the long run we didnt need him. in 08 we did.</P>

</P>

ebick
06-05-2012, 08:55 AM
toomer (was a KC for a season before he retired)

Only thing still sticking in my craw......why didn't we let him come back for a day and retire as a Giant?

miked1958
06-05-2012, 08:58 AM
toomer (was a KC for a season before he retired) Only thing still sticking in my craw......why didn't we let him come back for a day and retire as a Giant?that i agree with. he should have retired a NYG

lamas
06-05-2012, 09:03 AM
Seems like another former Giant who left at the top of his game for more $$$$$ is done. Seems like the Texans have parted ways with Derrick Ward. Guy left us at peak of his career for more $$$ and flopped in Tampa and never caught on with Houston. Here is a list of others who made the "Business Decision" and flopped.

1. Gibril Wilson. 1 year in the Black Hole. Don't even know if he is still playing.

2, Kevin Boss. 1 year in the Black Hole also. Now in Kansas City. Suspect he won't last their to long. Matt Cassell is no Eli and Boss will get clobbered.

3. Steve Smith. Ruined his career for money from the Dark Side. Done as a starter. Lucky if he ends up as a no. 3 receiver in his new home. He could have had a stellar career here if he didn't let the greed factor control his decision making process

4. Brandon Jacobs. Jury still out. Reports on these boards say he is no lock to make team.

5. Mario Manningham. Jury still out. I suspect he will be one year and done. Alex Smith is no Eli and Manningham's teammates are not named Cruz and Nicks. Don't spend all your extra money to fast.

We know the NFL has a business side that often effects these players, but they also need to see the other side and realize greatness and success often doesn't follow them to these lesser reams they go to for more money. Most of their success comes for playing for their team they found success with. Lets face it, the Giants have a great system with great players.

I hope our future free agents see this and take this obvious pattern into account. I rather have a long career with a little lesser money than a short career with one pay day. That's me anyway and many might not agree.

So you get to rewrite history as well as predict a gloomy future for each of these guys? I don't understand the "ex-girlfriend" mentality with these ex-Giants. You know, when a girl breaks up with you and you then have to convince yourself that she's not that pretty or bad in bed or something. Then you hope that she ends up with some ******* that treats her badly. That's exactly what you're doing here...

1. Gibril Wilson got PAID to play for Oak and posted 129 tackles before getting cut. Got PAID to play with Miami for a year and then picked up by Cincy. He blew out his knee in 2010 but this will be his 3rd season with the Bengals. He's still playing.

2. Boss, got PAID to play for Oak while recovering from an injury (the reason we didn't offer him a bigger contract). You said Cassell is no Eli and Boss will get clobbered...he got clobbered several times while Eli was throwing him the ball. That's football. He's still playing.

3. Steve Smith got paid by the Eagles to recover from a severe knee injury. His career is in jeapordy because of that injury, not because he went "to the Dark Side". He's still playing.

4 and 5. Jacobs and Manningham STILL PLAYING.

Ward is 31. That is the reason he is no longer playing. There is no guarantee that these players would have long successful careers if they
stayed with the Giants. The front office is excellent at evaluating
talent and offering a fair value for their players (that's why we're a successful team). I don't blame any of these players for taking the money. Football careers are short.

Once a Giant, always a Giant.

GMENAGAIN
06-05-2012, 09:05 AM

Steve Smith's career was "ruined" by injury . . . . not by his decision to go to the Eagles. As it turns out, that was a great financial move for him and his family, and a terrible move for the Eagles . . . .</P>

He might never be 100% good thing he took the money. If he didnt he would be in the same situation with half the cash. All these guys with the exception of Manningham and Jacobs got significantly bigger contracts. I love how people act if they were in their shoes and a team offered u 20 why the Giants offered 10 u wouldnt do the same. Jacobs leaving to me didnt make much sense. He didnt get much more in SF with basically no guaranteed money. Its almost like he just didnt want to be here. Manninghams contract was rather modest but im not sure the Giants even offered him money.</P>

Agreed. I don't blame anny of these guys for getting the most money they can get.</P>

It's just silly how some fans act like jilted schoolgirls when a FA leaves to go to another team for more money. It may be emotional for the fans, but it's a business for the teams and players . . . . . </P>

GMENAGAIN
06-05-2012, 09:06 AM
Did Giants even actively pursue re-signing Ward with Bradshaw waiting in the wings? Quit reveling in others' postGiants inadequacies. With exception of Jacobs [who was one of the few who offered to cut legitimate salaries], all of those guys became free agents, and earned their right to pursue financial security for them and their families. What exactly have you done to speak on their "success" or lack of it?NYGs Staff are very good at evaluating talent. they have let guys go time and time again to go with pretty much unknowns.. It has worked out in our favor everytime. That is no coincidence. and the list is even longer then what he put down.. </P>

I think </P>

Tabor can be added.</P>

K. Mitchell</P>

Fred Robbins</P>

Cofield</P>

Ross (we will see)</P>

Goff (we will see)</P>

toomer (was a KC for a season before he retired)</P>

Let Strahan and Tiki and Tyree retire. could have tried to make them play another season... turns out we didnt need them. </P>

Plax being released for his troubles... turns out in the long run we didnt need him. in 08 we did.</P>

</P>

</P>

If I'm not mistaken, Toomer didn't even make it through the first round of cuts with KC . . . . he was completely shot.</P>

miked1958
06-05-2012, 09:10 AM
Although I understand what you are saying... I think the OP poster means that No body really that left the giants every had a better season after they left NY. thats all.. thats the point. they had some really good sucess with the giants. left to get paid. (you cant blame them, everyone does it these days) and never really excelled past the point that they were when they were with NY. </P>

Yep alot of them still playing but none at the level that they dd with us...</P>

miked1958
06-05-2012, 09:13 AM
I think our coaching staff and evaluators put a number on someone and wont pay past that amount. they have a knack for knowing when its time to part ways and the guys that are waiting in the wings although very raw, that they will fill in fine for the guys we lost.. </P>

Has worked out so far so i am in no position to question them for letting MM, BJ and AR walk.. we will be fine and judgeing from the past will will be fine at those positions and even excel above where we were with those guys.</P>

GMENAGAIN
06-05-2012, 09:16 AM
Although I understand what you are saying... I think the OP poster means that No body really that left the giants every had a better season after they left NY. thats all.. thats the point. they had some really good sucess with the giants. left to get paid. (you cant blame them, everyone does it these days) and never really excelled past the point that they were when they were with NY. </P>

Yep alot of them still playing but none at the level that they dd with us...</P>
I think that is more of a testament to the Giants front office than it is a knock on the players who left. The FO has made a lot of good choices on who to pay and who not to pay . . . . fortunately for the players who left, other teams' choices weren't as good . . . . .

Morehead State
06-05-2012, 09:17 AM

He might never be 100% good thing he took the money. If he didnt he would be in the same situation with half the cash. All these guys with the exception of Manningham and Jacobs got significantly bigger contracts. I love how people act if they were in their shoes and a team offered u 20 why the Giants offered 10 u wouldnt do the same. Jacobs leaving to me didnt make much sense. He didnt get much more in SF with basically no guaranteed money. Its almost like he just didnt want to be here. Manninghams contract was rather modest but im not sure the Giants even offered him money.</P>

Agreed. I don't blame anny of these guys for getting the most money they can get.</P>

It's just silly how some fans act like jilted schoolgirls when a FA leaves to go to another team for more money. It may be emotional for the fans, but it's a business for the teams and players . . . . . </P>

</P>

I completely agree with both of you. These guys are just trying to make the best decisions for their families. They all faired well, it seems to me in that regard.</P>

And as far as Manningham is concerned, on its face it seems like a great decision. Should get a lot of playing time which is really what he was looking for.</P>

G-Man67
06-05-2012, 09:25 AM
ha, well Derrick Ward is a stretch, the dude is 50 years old in RB years</P>

but, this is why people have to take a step back and remember if we don't pursue somebody it's for a reason ... this is a young man's game and RB is the position where youth and fresh legs matter most</P>

also, you have to look at each situation on it's own ... for example, Manningham wanted to be a starter, Smith had a serious injury, Boss with the concussions ... Jacobs and Ward being old in RB years, etc.</P>

lamas
06-05-2012, 09:26 AM
Although I understand what you are saying... I think the OP poster means that No body really that left the giants every had a better season after they left NY. thats all.. thats the point. they had some really good sucess with the giants. left to get paid. (you cant blame them, everyone does it these days) and never really excelled past the point that they were when they were with NY. </p>

Yep alot of them still playing but none at the level that they dd with us...</p>

I do see what you (and the OP) are trying to say, but there is no guarantee that they would play to that level again if they stayed with the Giants either. I think that if Ward could go back in time, he probably would stick with the Giants. Smith would probably do the same (he went from being one of the most beloved players to insignificant in a season...ouch). Wilson, Boss, Jacobs, and Mario were thrown in as examples but I don't think they are necessarily kicking themselves.

JimC
06-05-2012, 09:43 AM
Although I understand what you are saying... I think the OP poster means that No body really that left the giants every had a better season after they left NY. thats all.. thats the point. they had some really good sucess with the giants. left to get paid. (you cant blame them, everyone does it these days) and never really excelled past the point that they were when they were with NY. </p>

Yep alot of them still playing but none at the level that they dd with us...</p>
I think that is more of a testament to the Giants front office than it is a knock on the players who left. The FO has made a lot of good choices on who to pay and who not to pay . . . . fortunately for the players who left, other teams' choices weren't as good . . . . .

This is probably a very good point. We as fans should really root for the FO and coaches. The players are only rented for a short time and then move on. The thing that we know as the GIANTS is really the men and women in the organization that are responsible for putting players on the field and allowing them to perform to their potential. It is really this framework that is the NY Football Giants!

buffyblue
06-05-2012, 09:45 AM
Brandon Jacobs went to San Francisco 49ers, a team that is a contender and one that has a better offensive line than any he played behind while on NY Giants.
Mario Manninham will have a bigger role in San Francisco and although Alex Smith is not Eli Manning, he is still a damn good QB and that team really has a chance to go all the way.
Steve Smithís mistake was that he did not sign the big contract that was offerred him before he got hurt while on NY Giants. After the injury he had, he was lucky he got the money he did with Philadelphia Eagles.
Jeremy Shokey was a schmuck while on NY Giants and he is still a schmuck. However, he did win a SuperBowl Ring with New Orleans Saints after he left.
I never cared for Kevin Boss and didnít mind one bit when he left. He had some major drops and fumbles the last year he was with us that cost us games.

With the exception of playing against us, I wish Mario Manningham and Brandon Jacobs the best. I hope they tear it up and I think they will.

JimC
06-05-2012, 09:48 AM
Brandon Jacobs went to San Francisco 49ers, a team that is a contender and one that has a better offensive line than any he played behind while on NY Giants.
Mario Manninham will have a bigger role in San Francisco and although Alex Smith is not Eli Manning, he is still a damn good QB and that team really has a chance to go all the way.
Steve Smithís mistake was that he did not sign the big contract that was offerred him before he got hurt while on NY Giants. After the injury he had, he was lucky he got the money he did with Philadelphia Eagles.
Jeremy Shokey was a schmuck while on NY Giants and he is still a schmuck. However, he did win a SuperBowl Ring with New Orleans Saints after he left.
I never cared for Kevin Boss and didnít mind one bit when he left. He had some major drops and fumbles the last year he was with us that cost us games.

With the exception of playing against us, I wish Mario Manningham and Brandon Jacobs the best. I hope they tear it up and I think they will.

I believe you're right about Mario, but I doubt Jacobs will have the success you believe.

SweetZombieJesus
06-05-2012, 09:54 AM

But you have to consider two things:

(1) making less money over a longer career can mean a greater total earning.

(2) Having a longer, higher profile career on a contending team can lead to more money post-career (take for example Amani Toomer -- personal appearances, B-grade TV hosting, etc.).

Roswell777
06-05-2012, 10:12 AM

So you get to rewrite history as well as predict a gloomy future for each of these guys?* I don't understand the "ex-girlfriend" mentality with these ex-Giants.* You know, when a girl breaks up with you and you then have to convince yourself that she's not that pretty or bad in bed or something.* Then you hope that she ends up with some ******* that treats her badly.* That's exactly what you're doing here...

1. Gibril Wilson got PAID to play for Oak and posted 129 tackles before getting cut.* Got PAID to play with Miami for a year and then picked up by Cincy.* He blew out his knee in 2010 but this will be his 3rd season with the Bengals.* He's still playing.

2. Boss, got PAID to play for Oak while recovering from an injury (the reason we didn't offer him a bigger contract).* You said Cassell is no Eli and Boss will get clobbered...he got clobbered several times while Eli was throwing him the ball.* That's football.* He's still playing.

3. Steve Smith got paid by the Eagles to recover from a severe knee injury.* His career is in jeapordy because of that injury, not because he went "to the Dark Side".* He's still playing.

Ward is 31.* That is the reason he is no longer playing.* There is no guarantee that these players would have long successful careers if they
stayed with the Giants.* The front office is excellent at evaluating
talent and offering a fair value for their players (that's why we're a successful team).* I don't blame any of these players for taking the money.* Football careers are short.*

This is an excellent post. There are very few players that give a home town discount in football.

Nor should there be. A player can have a career ending injury in practice. How can you blame them for taking more guaranteed money when it's offered by another team?

Especially guys like Manningham, Boss, Smith, Wilson, or Kavika Mitchell who already won their SB ring. It's naive to think that once these guys get a ring that it isn't about the money. It's about the money even before they get the ring.

RoanokeFan
06-05-2012, 10:43 AM
I don't think it's a coincidence that the guys the Giants let go don't always fare well elsewhere. <font size="5"><u>I mean, there's a reason they let them walk.</u></font>

You got it.

Reese has made knowing the true value of players an art form.

THE_New_York_Giants
06-05-2012, 10:50 AM
Derrick Ward was actually getting old for a running back when he left us. 31 years old is about the age where good running backs hang up the cleats. Sure, his career took a dive after the Giants, but can we blame him for leaving after the emergence of Bradshaw. He did do something special for the Giants though. 2 1000 yard rushers in the same season!!!

Boss was a concussion waiting to happen. He has mush brains now.

Wilson would have been an idiot to turn down that Oakland contract. (It was massive)

SS12- F*** HIM

Redeyejedi
06-05-2012, 11:12 AM
Gibril got more money in that 1 year with the Raiders then he has made his entire career elsewhere combined. The guy didnt suck in Oakland he just got a ridiculous contract. Why the Raiders paid him like Ed Reed I have no idea but no player in his prime is going to turn down money like that , not 1. The Giants offered Ward a contract,Wilson a contract,Boss a contract,Smith a contract. Its not like any of the money deals these guys took were close either. Most of the time the team blew the Giants offer out of the water.

Toadofsteel
06-05-2012, 11:17 AM

So you get to rewrite history as well as predict a gloomy future for each of these guys?* I don't understand the "ex-girlfriend" mentality with these ex-Giants.* You know, when a girl breaks up with you and you then have to convince yourself that she's not that pretty or bad in bed or something.* Then you hope that she ends up with some ******* that treats her badly.* That's exactly what you're doing here...

1. Gibril Wilson got PAID to play for Oak and posted 129 tackles before getting cut.* Got PAID to play with Miami for a year and then picked up by Cincy.* He blew out his knee in 2010 but this will be his 3rd season with the Bengals.* He's still playing.

2. Boss, got PAID to play for Oak while recovering from an injury (the reason we didn't offer him a bigger contract).* You said Cassell is no Eli and Boss will get clobbered...he got clobbered several times while Eli was throwing him the ball.* That's football.* He's still playing.

3. Steve Smith got paid by the Eagles to recover from a severe knee injury.* His career is in jeapordy because of that injury, not because he went "to the Dark Side".* He's still playing.

Ward is 31.* That is the reason he is no longer playing.* There is no guarantee that these players would have long successful careers if they
stayed with the Giants.* The front office is excellent at evaluating
talent and offering a fair value for their players (that's why we're a successful team).* I don't blame any of these players for taking the money.* Football careers are short.*

I, for one, don't mind the movings on of Gibril, Boss, Jacobs, Manningham, or Ward. But Steve Smith is a TRAITOR. Never forget that. He is to the Giants what Benedict Arnold was to the revolution. He was great while he still played for us, and then turned sides to our SWORN ENEMY for cash. Sure, in both Arnold's and Smith's cases, that would work out well for their families and wouldn't help the enemy at all, but you simply CANNOT dismiss the outright BETRAYAL that occured.

burier
06-05-2012, 11:24 AM
This thread is confusing. Is the OP saying that the Giants are so great that players should take less money than they're worth in order to stay on the team? (for the purposes of this conversation we will all agree that a players worth = that absoulte hightest dollar amount a team is willing to pay the players.)

To suggest that Kevin Boss, Gibril Wilson or Derek Ward should have taken a pay cut just so they could remain Giants is a bit crazy andI'd strongly disagree.

Free Agency is what its all about. From a player's perspective or lets say "Players Association" perspective each player is in some ways obligated to take the most money he can get since all of the contracts are relative. That is to say that When Calvin Johnson gets a huge contract that inevitably results in more money for Hakeem Nicks and so on.

The salary cap is great for parity but the players ultimately get screwed becasue no one's putting a cap on the amount of money the league takes in as revenue. There's no limit and it reaches the billions yet there is a limit on how much of that money the league has to share with the players which is unfair on its face considering no one watches the games to see the owners.

What's worse is the NFL does very little to exstiguish the false perception of most fans that when a player leaves "For more money" or holds out he must be greedy or selfish.

In actuality the opposite is true. A player who takes the most money he can get or attempts to create what he believes is the best situation is acting responsibly in favor of himself and his family AND the other players in the league.

To paraphrase: If too many players started taking less money because of whatever NON MONETARY perk a team can supposedly offer (Defending SB champs, Sunny weather, Iconic coach, Cheerleaders with thickness) it would diminish the value of those players and all players as consequence.

ny06
06-05-2012, 11:30 AM
This thread is confusing. Is the OP saying that the Giants are so great that players should take less money than they're worth in order to stay on the team? (for the purposes of this conversation we will all agree that a players worth = that absoulte hightest dollar amount a team is willing to pay the players.) To suggest that Kevin Boss, Gibril Wilson or Derek Ward should have taken a pay cut just so they could remain Giants is a bit crazy andI'd strongly disagree. Free Agency is what its all about. From a player's perspective or lets say "Players Association" perspective each player is in some ways obligated to take the most money he can get since all of the contracts are relative. That is to say that When Calvin Johnson gets a huge contract that inevitably results in more money for Hakeem Nicks and so on. The salary cap is great for parity but the players ultimately get screwed becasue no one's putting a cap on the amount of money the league takes in as revenue. There's no limit and it reaches the billions yet there is a limit on how much of that money the league has to share with the players which is unfair on its face considering no one watches the games to see the owners. <FONT color=#0000ff>What's worse is the NFL does very little to exstiguish the false perception of most fans that when a player leaves "For more money" or holds out he must be greedy or selfish. In actuality the opposite is true. A player who takes the most money he can get or attempts to create what he believes is the best situation is acting responsibly in favor of himself and his family AND the other players in the league. </FONT>To paraphrase: If too many players started taking less money because of whatever NON MONETARY perk a team can supposedly offer (Defending SB champs, Sunny weather, Iconic coach, Cheerleaders with thickness) it would diminish the value of those players and all players as consequence.</P>

I understand what you're getting at, and I don't blame players for going after as much money as they can get. Players know their clock is ticking the second they get into the league. But saying that, it's clear as day that NFL players, or every pro athlete is greedy. We have seen it time and time again, when is it ever enough?</P>

Roswell777
06-05-2012, 11:40 AM
This thread is confusing. Is the OP saying that the Giants are so great that players should take less money than they're worth in order to stay on the team? (for the purposes of this conversation we will all agree that a players worth = that absoulte hightest dollar amount a team is willing to pay the players.)

To suggest that Kevin Boss, Gibril Wilson or Derek Ward should have taken a pay cut just so they could remain Giants is a bit crazy andI'd strongly disagree.

Free Agency is what its all about. From a player's perspective or lets say "Players Association" perspective each player is in some ways obligated to take the most money he can get since all of the contracts are relative. That is to say that When Calvin Johnson gets a huge contract that inevitably results in more money for Hakeem Nicks and so on.

The salary cap is great for parity but the players ultimately get screwed becasue no one's putting a cap on the amount of money the league takes in as revenue. There's no limit and it reaches the billions yet there is a limit on how much of that money the league has to share with the players which is unfair on its face considering no one watches the games to see the owners.

What's worse is the NFL does very little to exstiguish the false perception of most fans that when a player leaves "For more money" or holds out he must be greedy or selfish.

In actuality the opposite is true. A player who takes the most money he can get or attempts to create what he believes is the best situation is acting responsibly in favor of himself and his family AND the other players in the league.

To paraphrase: If too many players started taking less money because of whatever NON MONETARY perk a team can supposedly offer (Defending SB champs, Sunny weather, Iconic coach, Cheerleaders with thickness) it would diminish the value of those players and all players as consequence.

Completely agree but I don't understand one thing.

What is a cheerleader with thickness?

You mean like Coco?

Morehead State
06-05-2012, 11:45 AM
This thread is confusing. Is the OP saying that the Giants are so great that players should take less money than they're worth in order to stay on the team? (for the purposes of this conversation we will all agree that a players worth = that absoulte hightest dollar amount a team is willing to pay the players.) To suggest that Kevin Boss, Gibril Wilson or Derek Ward should have taken a pay cut just so they could remain Giants is a bit crazy andI'd strongly disagree. Free Agency is what its all about. From a player's perspective or lets say "Players Association" perspective each player is in some ways obligated to take the most money he can get since all of the contracts are relative. That is to say that When Calvin Johnson gets a huge contract that inevitably results in more money for Hakeem Nicks and so on. The salary cap is great for parity but the players ultimately get screwed becasue no one's putting a cap on the amount of money the league takes in as revenue. There's no limit and it reaches the billions yet there is a limit on how much of that money the league has to share with the players which is unfair on its face considering no one watches the games to see the owners. What's worse is the NFL does very little to exstiguish the false perception of most fans that when a player leaves "For more money" or holds out he must be greedy or selfish. In actuality the opposite is true. A player who takes the most money he can get or attempts to create what he believes is the best situation is acting responsibly in favor of himself and his family AND the other players in the league. To paraphrase: If too many players started taking less money because of whatever NON MONETARY perk a team can supposedly offer (Defending SB champs, Sunny weather, Iconic coach, Cheerleaders with thickness) it would diminish the value of those players and all players as consequence. Completely agree but I don't understand one thing. What is a cheerleader with thickness? You mean like Coco?</P>

I was thinking the same thing.</P>

Thickness? I hope not in the ankles.</P>

THE_New_York_Giants
06-05-2012, 11:52 AM
This thread is confusing. Is the OP saying that the Giants are so great that players should take less money than they're worth in order to stay on the team? (for the purposes of this conversation we will all agree that a players worth = that absoulte hightest dollar amount a team is willing to pay the players.) To suggest that Kevin Boss, Gibril Wilson or Derek Ward should have taken a pay cut just so they could remain Giants is a bit crazy andI'd strongly disagree. Free Agency is what its all about. From a player's perspective or lets say "Players Association" perspective each player is in some ways obligated to take the most money he can get since all of the contracts are relative. That is to say that When Calvin Johnson gets a huge contract that inevitably results in more money for Hakeem Nicks and so on. The salary cap is great for parity but the players ultimately get screwed becasue no one's putting a cap on the amount of money the league takes in as revenue. There's no limit and it reaches the billions yet there is a limit on how much of that money the league has to share with the players which is unfair on its face considering no one watches the games to see the owners. What's worse is the NFL does very little to exstiguish the false perception of most fans that when a player leaves "For more money" or holds out he must be greedy or selfish. In actuality the opposite is true. A player who takes the most money he can get or attempts to create what he believes is the best situation is acting responsibly in favor of himself and his family AND the other players in the league. To paraphrase: If too many players started taking less money because of whatever NON MONETARY perk a team can supposedly offer (Defending SB champs, Sunny weather, Iconic coach, Cheerleaders with thickness) it would diminish the value of those players and all players as consequence. Completely agree but I don't understand one thing. What is a cheerleader with thickness? You mean like Coco?</P>

Thickness?** I hope not in the ankles.</P>

cheerleader with cankles? The Bill Clinton cheerleader?

THE_New_York_Giants
06-05-2012, 11:52 AM

cheerleader with cankles? The Bill Clinton cheerleader?

Morehead State
06-05-2012, 12:06 PM

Thickness? I hope not in the ankles.</P>

cheerleader with cankles? The Bill Clinton cheerleader?</P>

"Cheerleaders With Thickness" would be an awesome name for a band.</P>

Maybe the best thing Burier has ever said on the MB.</P>

burier
06-05-2012, 12:08 PM

You mean like Coco?

Exactly like Coco.

THE_New_York_Giants
06-05-2012, 12:13 PM

cheerleader with cankles? The Bill Clinton cheerleader?</P>

"Cheerleaders With Thickness"* would be an awesome name for a band.</P>

Maybe the best thing Burier has ever said on the MB.</P>

holy f*** dude. That.... is.... a.... sick.... band.... name

burier
06-05-2012, 12:16 PM
This thread is confusing. Is the OP saying that the Giants are so great that players should take less money than they're worth in order to stay on the team? (for the purposes of this conversation we will all agree that a players worth = that absoulte hightest dollar amount a team is willing to pay the players.) To suggest that Kevin Boss, Gibril Wilson or Derek Ward should have taken a pay cut just so they could remain Giants is a bit crazy andI'd strongly disagree. Free Agency is what its all about. From a player's perspective or lets say "Players Association" perspective each player is in some ways obligated to take the most money he can get since all of the contracts are relative. That is to say that When Calvin Johnson gets a huge contract that inevitably results in more money for Hakeem Nicks and so on. The salary cap is great for parity but the players ultimately get screwed becasue no one's putting a cap on the amount of money the league takes in as revenue. There's no limit and it reaches the billions yet there is a limit on how much of that money the league has to share with the players which is unfair on its face considering no one watches the games to see the owners. <FONT color=#0000ff>What's worse is the NFL does very little to exstiguish the false perception of most fans that when a player leaves "For more money" or holds out he must be greedy or selfish. In actuality the opposite is true. A player who takes the most money he can get or attempts to create what he believes is the best situation is acting responsibly in favor of himself and his family AND the other players in the league. </FONT>To paraphrase: If too many players started taking less money because of whatever NON MONETARY perk a team can supposedly offer (Defending SB champs, Sunny weather, Iconic coach, Cheerleaders with thickness) it would diminish the value of those players and all players as consequence.</P>

I understand what you're getting at, and I don't blame players for going after as much money as they can get. Players know their clock is ticking the second they get into the league. But saying that, it's clear as day that NFL players, or every pro athlete is greedy. We have seen it time and time again, when is it ever enough?</P>

I guess my point is I don't see the players..at least NFL players as greedy at all. I don't really see how you can come to that conclusion.

What is clear as day is that the owners are greedy.

The most popular and profitable league in the world has the most stringent salary cap. Greedy.

The Commish suddenly becomes direly concerned with "player safety" After the lawsuits started rolling in. Greedy.

And whats worse is out of the other side of his mouth he wants to add more games to the regular season. Greedy.

I mean I can go on.

And I especially love the stunt the owners pulled last summer. Marching out on TV and telling the fans the deal was all but done "We just need the players to sign on the dotted line"

A completely transparent attempt to force the players hand by way of turning the fans against them.

We've got Billions of dollars flying around in the NFL and the player is greedy for trying to get a few mill in guaranteed money? Not sure I follow.

JimC
06-05-2012, 12:36 PM
This thread is confusing. Is the OP saying that the Giants are so great that players should take less money than they're worth in order to stay on the team? (for the purposes of this conversation we will all agree that a players worth = that absoulte hightest dollar amount a team is willing to pay the players.) To suggest that Kevin Boss, Gibril Wilson or Derek Ward should have taken a pay cut just so they could remain Giants is a bit crazy andI'd strongly disagree. Free Agency is what its all about. From a player's perspective or lets say "Players Association" perspective each player is in some ways obligated to take the most money he can get since all of the contracts are relative. That is to say that When Calvin Johnson gets a huge contract that inevitably results in more money for Hakeem Nicks and so on. The salary cap is great for parity but the players ultimately get screwed becasue no one's putting a cap on the amount of money the league takes in as revenue. There's no limit and it reaches the billions yet there is a limit on how much of that money the league has to share with the players which is unfair on its face considering no one watches the games to see the owners. <font color="#0000ff">What's worse is the NFL does very little to exstiguish the false perception of most fans that when a player leaves "For more money" or holds out he must be greedy or selfish. In actuality the opposite is true. A player who takes the most money he can get or attempts to create what he believes is the best situation is acting responsibly in favor of himself and his family AND the other players in the league. </font>To paraphrase: If too many players started taking less money because of whatever NON MONETARY perk a team can supposedly offer (Defending SB champs, Sunny weather, Iconic coach, Cheerleaders with thickness) it would diminish the value of those players and all players as consequence.</p>

I understand what you're getting at, and I don't blame players for going after as much money as they can get. Players know their clock is ticking the second they get into the league. But saying that, it's clear as day that NFL players, or every pro athlete is greedy. We have seen it time and time again, when is it ever enough?</p>

I guess my point is I don't see the players..at least NFL players as greedy at all. I don't really see how you can come to that conclusion.

What is clear as day is that the owners are greedy.

The most popular and profitable league in the world has the most stringent salary cap. Greedy.

The Commish suddenly becomes direly concerned with "player safety" After the lawsuits started rolling in. Greedy.

And whats worse is out of the other side of his mouth he wants to add more games to the regular season. Greedy.

I mean I can go on.

And I especially love the stunt the owners pulled last summer. Marching out on TV and telling the fans the deal was all but done "We just need the players to sign on the dotted line"

A completely transparent attempt to force the players hand by way of turning the fans against them.

We've got Billions of dollars flying around in the NFL and the player is greedy for trying to get a few mill in guaranteed money? Not sure I follow.

Hear ye, hear ye.......we live in a free capitalistic society. Everyone is entitled to earn as much money as they possibly can or want....AND that includes companies!!!!

I know this may come as a shock to some of you. but if you don't like the product don't buy it.

lamas
06-05-2012, 12:57 PM
I, for one, don't mind the movings on of Gibril, Boss, Jacobs,
Manningham, or Ward. But Steve Smith is a TRAITOR. Never forget that. He
is to the Giants what Benedict Arnold was to the revolution. He was
great while he still played for us, and then turned sides to our SWORN
ENEMY for cash. Sure, in both Arnold's and Smith's cases, that would
work out well for their families and wouldn't help the enemy at all, but
you simply CANNOT dismiss the outright BETRAYAL that occured.

I don't feel betrayed at all. Smith took up a roster spot and wasted
some of the Eagles money while recovering from his injury. He did the
Giants a favor. I wish him well in St. Louis and I'd welcome SS back to NY with open arms.

Spytheweb
06-05-2012, 01:34 PM
Osi even sees the writing on the wall. He can leave, get a big payday and get double teamed and never get the success he has now. Or he could sign, make ok money, get a 3rd ring and make $ endorsements in America's greatest city.

barran21
06-05-2012, 01:56 PM
toomer (was a KC for a season before he retired)

Only thing still sticking in my craw......why didn't we let him come back for a day and retire as a Giant?

From Wiki..

Toomer was signed to a one-year contract by Kansas City Chiefs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansas_City_Chiefs) on August 4, 2009. He was released on September 1.

Toomer never made the team...

Roswell777
06-05-2012, 01:57 PM

You mean like Coco?

Exactly like Coco.

Funny thing is I went on Coco's website yesterday, not proud of it, but facts are facts, and her measurements are 39 - 23 - 40. Not my style, but definitely would be an interesting change of pace.

But I digress.

And Steve Smith is not a traitor. Not a Benedict Arnold like someone else suggested, who, if you truly know your history, (and if you don't, I suggest you read George Washington's War by Robert Leckie), only went over to the other side after being a great war hero who was using his own money and was exploited by the colonies. Not excusing his behavior, just telling the whole story without dismissing some of his accomplishments.

All things considered, I find Coco more intriguing.

Your thoughts? Lol

burier
06-05-2012, 02:35 PM

You mean like Coco?

Exactly like Coco.

Funny thing is I went on Coco's website yesterday, not proud of it, but facts are facts, and her measurements are 39 - 23 - 40. Not my style, but definitely would be an interesting change of pace.

But I digress.

And Steve Smith is not a traitor. Not a Benedict Arnold like someone else suggested, who, if you truly know your history, (and if you don't, I suggest you read George Washington's War by Robert Leckie), only went over to the other side after being a great war hero who was using his own money and was exploited by the colonies. Not excusing his behavior, just telling the whole story without dismissing some of his accomplishments.

Your thoughts? Lol

I certainly find Coco more intriguing than Benedict Arnold.

Funny you mentioned Coco. We're facebook friends and every once in a while she'll post a picture and I'll look at it and the next thing I know I'm paging through her whole damn gallery. She's got a body that's hard to look away from.

Now I've never been a big fan of cheerleaders but if the Giants could get a cheerleaders who were built like that I don't think I'd mind.

Roswell777
06-05-2012, 02:42 PM

You mean like Coco?

Exactly like Coco.

But I digress.

Your thoughts? Lol

Funny you mentioned Coco. We're facebook friends and every once in a while she'll post a picture and I'll look at it and the next thing I know I'm paging through her whole damn gallery. She's got a body that's hard to look away from.

Now I've never been a big fan of cheerleaders but if the Giants could get a cheerleaders who were built like that I don't think I'd mind.

Heck, if the Giants could get a left tackle built like that the games would be more fun...

burier
06-05-2012, 02:53 PM

You mean like Coco?

Exactly like Coco.

But I digress.

Your thoughts? Lol

Heck, if the Giants could get a left tackle built like that the games would be more fun...

agreed lol

nygsb42champs
06-05-2012, 03:24 PM
The track record shows the Giants know what they are doing when it comes to letting players walk.

slipknottin
06-05-2012, 03:36 PM
Its a business.

Players have to look out for themselves first.

There are the guys who stretch and go to a crap team for an extra half a mil, which may overall be a bad idea.

But a guy like Ward was never going to make any money with the giants, he had no choice but to leave.

BeatYale
06-05-2012, 06:30 PM

Cool story bro, but in the real world players are aware that career ending injuries can occur and that teams don't have to honor the full length of their contract. With that said, free agency is a blessing for players who are at their peak (production wise). Ward made the right choice.

miked1958
06-05-2012, 06:37 PM
The track record shows the Giants know what they are doing when it comes to letting players walk.yes it does

miked1958
06-05-2012, 06:39 PM
toomer (was a KC for a season before he retired) Only thing still sticking in my craw......why didn't we let him come back for a day and retire as a Giant?

From Wiki..

Toomer was signed to a one-year contract by Kansas City Chiefs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansas_City_Chiefs) on August 4, 2009. He was released on September 1.

Toomer never made the team...

yes i saw that from an eariler poster in this thread. But i think it goes to prove the point. the giants felt he was done and didnt want to pay him what he thought he was worth. he went and signed with KC and got cut within a month... again it shows the giants know when it is time for a player to move on

jomo
06-05-2012, 07:53 PM
There is no cause and effect here. One thing has nothing to do with the other. If they would have stayed with the Giants for less money would they have been any more productive than they were with their new team? Probably not. More likely JR recognized that there was no value play in moving them up the pay scale here.</P>

So, what have we learned. They all signed for big money elsewhere and I am happy for them and their families. That kind of money should be life changing. Second, JR is a pretty darned good judge of talent and value. It is all good.</P>

Pierre-Paul
06-05-2012, 08:56 PM
One way of looking at winning a Superbowl is that you can't afford to keep your team together anymore. Doom and Gloom... no team will ever be able to repeat because all the good players are leaving. The Giants are looking at it another way... We can get other teams to spend too much for players who just won a superbowl. In a way, this gives the Giants another advantage. Having the Eagles spend too much on Steve Smith helps the Giants because they are kept from being able to spend that money on another more valuable player.
Having said all this, I really hate that football strategists and General managers have to think about cap hits, and spending limits, possible holdouts, compensatory draft picks, etc. I would much rather just pretend it all has to do with Who wants it more.... like back in '07.

NYGiantsFan56
06-05-2012, 10:32 PM
The point I am trying to get across in my original post is about guys who have a chance to resign with the Giants but instead leave for marginal teams who in most cases overpay them. Its a fact that teams like the Giants, Packers, Steelers and the Patriots don't overpay their players and these teams consistently win. It is no coincidence that when players leave great organizations like the Giants to go to these marginal teams for big $$$, i don't fault them, but their careers will slide downward. I think Osi sees this and thats why IMO there is a good chanceI he will be back next year.

NYGiantsFan56
06-05-2012, 10:38 PM
To get my point across can anyone name one player who left the Giants at the top of his game for more $$$$ and found success with his new team? Unless I am wrong, the answer should be none. Like I said in my OP, Manningham will soon find out Alex Smith is no Eli, and none of his receivers are named Cruz and Nicks.

jomo
06-05-2012, 11:30 PM
To get my point across can anyone name one player who left the Giants at the top of his game for more $$$$ and found success with his new team? Unless I am wrong, the answer should be none. Like I said in my OP, Manningham will soon find out Alex Smith is no Eli, and none of his receivers are named Cruz and Nicks.All of these players were good but not great. They found other teams willing to pay them huge money; much more than we were willing to pay them. Good players don't become great because they signed a big contract. They remain good playersexcept that now theyare over paid. I've got no problem with them taking care of their family. They owe us nothing and like the other poster said, in a strange way, they soak up a good deal of cap space from our oponents. In a backward sort of way, that helps us. Go Blue!!

miked1958
06-06-2012, 03:10 PM
There is no cause and effect here. One thing has nothing to do with the other. If they would have stayed with the Giants for less money would they have been any more productive than they were with their new team? Probably not. More likely JR recognized that there was no value play in moving them up the pay scale here.</P>

So, what have we learned. They all signed for big money elsewhere and I am happy for them and their families. That kind of money should be life changing. Second, JR is a pretty darned good judge of talent and value. It is all good.</P>best post of the thread!! thats exactly it. JR saw that they were not going to get anybetter and that their production was going to slide down from here on out and saw no value in overpaying them.he knew if we kept them that their numbers would never equal or be better then what they had already achieved here. I guess from here on out we should not question what our front office does

B&RWarrior
06-06-2012, 04:08 PM

Boss had the best mits on the Giants in the past 5-7 years bar none. Besides his last year he was rock solid. If you get whacked while stretching out for a lob across the middle it's not a drop in my book.

Great point about BJ. Any RB would prefer running behind the SF line. If BJ can get to the second level he's gonna do damage. Putting up good numbers could extend his career. Smart move by BJ going to a dominant run blocking team.

MM wanted to win and start. SF has a dearth of talented receivers and strong team overall. He has the talent to start and earn a large contract.

I would have looked for a team with a better QB. Alex Smith has yet to prove he can connect with his WRs, especially on the deep ball which is MM's specialty. MM will get open but it remains to be seen if Smith can deliver the ball.

Manstache
06-06-2012, 04:46 PM
Do you not think that extra cash has more of a positive impact on their own day-to-day life than making the playoffs?nope, not by a longshot pal. success is measured in wins, losses, titles and stats in sports. all athletes are paid handsomely, but successful ones win straps and make the hall of fame. ryan leaf had long paper, but was he deemed a success? jamarcus russell's rookie contract was huge, big time money. was he successful? nah bruh, he wasnt. just cuz u got heavy bread that dont mean your actually successful in pro sports. filthy stinkin rich maybe, but not necessarily successful.

lawl
06-06-2012, 06:45 PM
Do you not think that extra cash has more of a positive impact on their own day-to-day life than making the playoffs?nope, not by a longshot pal. success is measured in wins, losses, titles and stats in sports. all athletes are paid handsomely, but successful ones win straps and make the hall of fame. ryan leaf had long paper, but was he deemed a success? jamarcus russell's rookie contract was huge, big time money. was he successful? nah bruh, he wasnt. just cuz u got heavy bread that dont mean your actually successful in pro sports. filthy stinkin rich maybe, but not necessarily successful.

Successful in this world is what he said, not in pro sports