PDA

View Full Version : OSI UMENYIORA'S REWORKED CONTRACT WITH GIANTS: THE REAL NUMBERS

RoanokeFan
06-05-2012, 03:33 PM
OSI UMENYIORA'S REWORKED CONTRACT WITH GIANTS: THE REAL NUMBERS (http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/06/osi_umenyioras_reworked_contra.html)

"Before I get into this, I want to correct one thing about the value of <a href="http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/06/osi_umenyiora_giants_agree_to.html">Osi
Umenyiora's new deal</a> as I had reported it. <div class="entry-content">

I had previously mentioned the Giants (http://www.nj.com/giants/)
had offered Umenyiora $7 million to $7.5 million over one year, per someone
familiar with previous talks. I've since learned that's incorrect and that I
misunderstood.</p>
<div class="embeddedMedia entry_widget_large entry_widget_right"><span class="mt-enclosure mt-enclosure-photo"><span class="adv-video"><a class="bc_video"><span class="bc_video_overlay"></span></a> <span class="video-data"><span class="title"></span></span><span class="photo-bottom-left"></span><span class="photo-bottom-right"></span></span></span>

</div>

What that person was trying to tell me was that, one, the total I just
mentioned was over two years (the second year being easily voidable) and, two,
perhaps the Giants would give Umenyiora a bump to make this thing happen. In
other words, the person was suggesting the offer could have been increased from
the one-year proposal that was previously $6.5 million. </p>

That's a long way of explaining my previous estimate was incorrect. I'm
rereading the texts and seeing where the miscommunication occurred. Sorry about
that, folks. </p>

Anyway, the point of this entry is to let you know I finally have the real
numbers on Umenyiora's new deal, which ESPN's Andrew Brandt reported on Monday
was worth $6.5 million. The "base" numbers I have add up to $6 million. Take a
look:</p>

Signing bonus: $2 million
Base salary: $2.5 million
Reporting
bonus: $250,000
Roster bonus: $750,000 ($46,875 per game on the 46-man active
list) Roster bonus: $500,000 ($31,250 per game on the 53-man roster)</p>

Base salary: $1 million
Note: This is a voidable year. What makes
it void was not included in the breakdown I received, but trust me when I say
it'll void extremely easily. Umenyiora won't be playing under this deal next
year. </p>

Now, as I mentioned, Brandt had this deal at $6.5 million. He didn't provide
a breakdown of how he got to that number, so I can't tell you how he got there.
I do know, as I've previously reported, the Giants were offering a sack bonus if
Umenyiora reached 10 sacks. Perhaps that's where the extra $500,000 lies. </p>

In any event, this is all finally behind us. All of us."
</p></div>

GGTM_1977
06-05-2012, 04:13 PM
IF and I mean IF we were to franchise tag him next year......what would be the salary for that?

RoanokeFan
06-05-2012, 04:18 PM
IF and I mean IF we were to franchise tag him next year......what would be the salary for that?

It would be the average of the top five defensive ends in the NFL. But I don't see that happening unless something happens to Tuck or JPP in the mean time. It isn't all about Osi, as there are other players who have to be considered for new contracts

nygsb42champs
06-05-2012, 04:22 PM
Thanks RF for clearing up the numbers.

RoanokeFan
06-05-2012, 04:25 PM
Thanks RF for clearing up the numbers.

That sure was confusing. But Osi seems happy now so we should be able to expect a grand showing frorm him this season.

TuckYou
06-05-2012, 04:39 PM
In any event, this is all finally behind us. All of us."</P>

http://picasion.com/pic54/0279d6e3d37b9f97ef51d1a62839fd49.gif</P>

GMENAGAIN
06-05-2012, 04:41 PM

It would be the average of the top five defensive ends in the NFL. But I don't see that happening unless something happens to Tuck or JPP in the mean time. It isn't all about Osi, as there are other players who have to be considered for new contracts
</P>

Franchise tag for DE's this year was $10.6M.</P>

Captain Chaos
06-05-2012, 04:51 PM

It would be the average of the top five defensive ends in the NFL.* But I don't see that happening unless something happens to Tuck or JPP in the mean time.* It isn't all about Osi, as there are other players who have to be considered for new contracts
</P>

Franchise tag for DE's this year was $10.6M.</P>

Thanks, was wondering what it was this year. Franchise tag doesn't seem logical; however, keeping him on the roster may, in fact, be affordable.

slipknottin
06-05-2012, 04:59 PM
The interesting part of this deal is it actually has about the same cap hit as his old deal.

6-7 mil over two years. is roughly 3.5 mil a year cap hit.

Because the second year will be voided, the rest of that 3 mil cap hit will hit at the end of this season.

So before that final cap check from the league is due, the giants will have to find a way to purge another ~3 mil in cap.

Cool Papa B.
06-05-2012, 05:42 PM
I'm glad all of this has been worked out and Osi can focus on winning another Super Bowl. but does anyone else think they overpaid for Osi a little bit?

JesseJames
06-05-2012, 06:10 PM
I hope the next thing I hear about Osi is that he just made a great play that won us the game, that would suit me fine...

slipknottin
06-05-2012, 06:20 PM
I'm glad all of this has been worked out and Osi can focus on winning another Super Bowl. but does anyone else think they overpaid for Osi a little bit?

6 mil a season is probably right about where he should be.

TuckYou
06-05-2012, 06:49 PM

6 mil a season is probably right about where he should be.

Id say its a bargin considering other contracts.

TrueBlue@NYC
06-05-2012, 06:58 PM
6.5 mil for a 10+sack potential player is a steal, especially since it's not part of a long term deal.

I think it's the perfect comprmise from both Osi and JR. Osi gets a nice bump in $$ for his last year, the team isn't forced to committ to him long-term in a may that may jepordize the re-signing of our younger stars.