PDA

View Full Version : Andre Brown competing for the power back job

Captain Chaos
06-06-2012, 01:52 PM
Read this this morning:

"Andre Brown, who has bulked up to 240 pounds and who the Giants still seem enamored with."

I can see why the G-men are enamored with him. I hope he is a beast at 240!

G-Man67
06-06-2012, 01:54 PM
good to hear ... with Ware kinda bouncing off defenders ... backwards ... nice topossibly have a bigger option

Dorkasaurus
06-06-2012, 02:08 PM
good to hear ... with Ward kinda bouncing off defenders ... backwards ... nice to*possibly have a bigger option

Think you mean Ware .....Ward has not been on the team for a few years

G-Man67
06-06-2012, 02:57 PM
good to hear ... with Ward kinda bouncing off defenders ... backwards ... nice topossibly have a bigger option Think you mean Ware .....Ward has not been on the team for a few years</P>

ha, yes, Ware ... don't drink too much kids !</P>

miked1958
06-06-2012, 04:25 PM
I think Brown can be that bruising back we used to have in BJ. Then you have AB and Wilson as the shify ones and Scott maybe a little of both with great speed

Captain Chaos
06-06-2012, 06:06 PM
I really thought there would be a couple of guys that would have jumped on this with Martinek will be the power back...

miked1958
06-06-2012, 06:12 PM
I really thought there would be a couple of guys that would have jumped on this with Martinek will be the power back...I have been hearing things about him. all good things. I just dont know that we keep that many RBs. </P>

Dept Chart....</P>

1. AB</P>

2. Wilson/Brown</P>

3. Brown/Wilson</P>

4. Scott ( I dont see the Giants giving up on this kid yet)</P>

5. Ware ( Ware is prob alot higher on this chart as of now, but will drop)</P>

6. Joe M</P>

FB = Hynoski and Pascoe at times</P>

JJC7301
06-06-2012, 11:57 PM
Brown won't even make the team this year.

giantsfan420
06-07-2012, 12:22 AM

I dunno. Tc has been very vocal about having that speed/power diversity dimension. If brownx at 240, with his jump cut style, he could be a bruiser.

Makes sense for him regardless. With the achilles injury, he prob realized speed isnt gonna be something he can rely on. Might as well bulk up and be a power type back.

He could surprise alot of us...

Bradshaw/wilson/brown n scott has a nice feel to it...suit up whichever makes more sense on gameday between brown n scott...

But browns gotta stay healthy if he hopes to make any impact, and hes struggled with that before so...

Rat_bastich
06-07-2012, 02:55 AM

I'm leaning this way. If he couldn't break the lineup at a lighter weight I don't see him being successful as a different type of runner.

FroZeNx31x
06-07-2012, 04:35 AM
I don't see Brown being on the roster unless he runs like a wild beast in the preseason....highly doubt it.

mainegiantsfan
06-07-2012, 05:24 AM
Well, here I am. I can see more potential with Martinek than Ware, Brown. I hope he is given a good look.

Captain Chaos
06-07-2012, 08:47 PM

We'll talk in September. At 240 and able to runs with power, oh and by the way he catches pretty well out of the backfield. Could be very interesting. Definietly will be watching him dureing the pre-season.

Mercury
06-07-2012, 10:49 PM
Honestly, I thought Brown was better in preseason play last year than Ware. I think the only reason he didn't make the team was because he was eligible for the PS, whereas, Ware was not.

I think the RB competition will be interesting this preseason. Can't wait to see our rookie on the field.

GMENAGAIN
06-08-2012, 10:23 AM
Read this this morning: "Andre Brown, who has bulked up to 240 pounds and who the Giants still seem enamored with." I can see why the G-men are enamored with him. I hope he is a beast at 240!</P>

Out of curiosity, how can a team be described as "enamored" with a player who they have cut more than once and who spent last year on their practice squad??????</P>

hungrrrry
06-08-2012, 11:00 AM
Andre Brown was fortunate to have been given a reprieve on his suspension so I hope he makes the best of it because I am sure I wasn't the only one to write him off when news of his 4-game chop came public.
However, Last preseason, I felt he had more burst than Ware did. I thought Ware was more experience, obviously, but Ware also showed some mental error capability during the pre-season. I thought Brown did well for the limited time he was given...Now, he is bulkier...if he can still consistantly flash that burst then he has a huge (no pun intended) advantage over Ware, who, in my opinion, runs too tall, like Jacobs did. Brown runs alot like Ryan Grant (downhill) who I also liked, when he was here. I vote to make him our #3 and make Scott the #4 fighting for activation time.

TuckYou
06-08-2012, 11:36 AM
Read this this morning: "Andre Brown, who has bulked up to 240 pounds and who the Giants still seem enamored with." I can see why the G-men are enamored with him. I hope he is a beast at 240!</P>

Out of curiosity, how can a team be described as "enamored" with a player who they have cut more than once and who spent last year on their practice squad??????</P>

</P>

Injuries had a lot to do with that. He is just getting back to 100% now. I thought he looked good last year, but was still missing a little. I think Ware is a waste of a roster spot. Id go Bradshaw, Wilson, Brown and Scott. Ware being the odd man out. </P>

Toadofsteel
06-08-2012, 11:55 AM
#1 will be Bradshaw, obviously. The other 3 spots will be between Wilson Brown and Scott. The actual order will depend on how well each of the three can control fumbling issues and pass protection. All Brown has to be able to do is maul an incoming linebacker, and he'll make the roster. I don't recall fumbling issues the way Scott and Wilson did.

The only way I see Ware making the team this year is if Wilson needs a bit of work or is otherwise a bust (in which case Wilson would be on the PS, but I highly doubt we'd do that to our first round pick), or if we cut Scott (more likely, but I'd still take Scott over Ware at this point).

GMENAGAIN
06-08-2012, 12:44 PM

</P>

Injuries had a lot to do with that. He is just getting back to 100% now. I thought he looked good last year, but was still missing a little. I think Ware is a waste of a roster spot. Id go Bradshaw, Wilson, Brown and Scott. Ware being the odd man out. </P>

</P>

The Giants chose Scott and Ware over Brown last year, and I'm not sure that they would do anything different this year just becauseBrown gained a few pounds.</P>

We'll see I guess . . . . . </P>

G.I. Ants
06-08-2012, 01:02 PM
It's funny how people dismiss a player's talent. Brown was a fourth round selection scouted as power back with good hands out the backfield, but suffered a season ending injury. That was 2009, 3 whole years ago.

Brown was placed on the practice squad last year for a reason. The same reason why Cruz was placed on IR his rookie season, to keep him on the roster officially. Make no mistake, Brown will be in competition to be the #2 behind Bradshaw. That suspension being lifted only helps his cause so he better make the most of it.

GMENAGAIN
06-08-2012, 01:24 PM
It's funny how people dismiss a player's talent. Brown was a fourth round selection scouted as power back with good hands out the backfield, but suffered a season ending injury. That was 2009, 3 whole years ago. Brown was placed on the practice squad last year for a reason. The same reason why Cruz was placed on IR his rookie season, to keep him on the roster officially. Make no mistake, Brown will be in competition to be the #2 behind Bradshaw. That suspension being lifted only helps his cause so he better make the most of it.</P>

No one is dismissing his talent, but the fact of the matter is that the talent that he had at the time that he was drafted is completely irrelevant now. He sustained a devastating injury for a RB . . . . I am not aware of any RB sustaining an Achilles tear who came back from that injury to his pre-injury level of talent/production.</P>

To think that he is realisticallyin the competition for the #2RB after wedrafted a RB in the first round is just silly . . . . . </P>

G.I. Ants
06-08-2012, 01:43 PM
It's funny how people dismiss a player's talent. Brown was a fourth round selection scouted as power back with good hands out the backfield, but suffered a season ending injury. That was 2009, 3 whole years ago. Brown was placed on the practice squad last year for a reason. The same reason why Cruz was placed on IR his rookie season, to keep him on the roster officially. Make no mistake, Brown will be in competition to be the #2 behind Bradshaw. That suspension being lifted only helps his cause so he better make the most of it.</P>

No one is dismissing his talent, but the fact of the matter is that the talent that he had at the time that he was drafted is completely irrelevant now.* He sustained a devastating injury for a RB . . . . I am not aware of any RB sustaining an Achilles tear who came back from that injury to his pre-injury level of talent/production.</P>

To think that he is realistically*in the competition for the #2*RB after we*drafted a RB in the first round is just silly . . . . . *</P>

Not silly at all to think that he could compete for the #2 back. Remember that he also had time to learn the system and the injury he sustained was 3 years ago. Coughlin said he looked faster last year than he did before the injury. Wilson will definitely get his reps, but don't sleep on Brown.

GMENAGAIN
06-08-2012, 01:45 PM

No one is dismissing his talent, but the fact of the matter is that the talent that he had at the time that he was drafted is completely irrelevant now. He sustained a devastating injury for a RB . . . . I am not aware of any RB sustaining an Achilles tear who came back from that injury to his pre-injury level of talent/production.</P>

To think that he is realisticallyin the competition for the #2RB after wedrafted a RB in the first round is just silly . . . . . </P>

Not silly at all to think that he could compete for the #2 back. Remember that he also had time to learn the system and the injury he sustained was 3 years ago. Coughlin said he looked faster last year than he did before the injury. Wilson will definitely get his reps, but don't sleep on Brown.</P>

Shortly after making that statement TCdecided to waive Brown . . . . . </P>

I will be shocked if he makes the team . . . . I willeat a pile of my own fesces if he is named the #2 back. </P>

G.I. Ants
06-08-2012, 01:55 PM

No one is dismissing his talent, but the fact of the matter is that the talent that he had at the time that he was drafted is completely irrelevant now.* He sustained a devastating injury for a RB . . . . I am not aware of any RB sustaining an Achilles tear who came back from that injury to his pre-injury level of talent/production.</P>

To think that he is realistically*in the competition for the #2*RB after we*drafted a RB in the first round is just silly . . . . . *</P>

Not silly at all to think that he could compete for the #2 back. Remember that he also had time to learn the system and the injury he sustained was 3 years ago. Coughlin said he looked faster last year than he did before the injury. Wilson will definitely get his reps, but don't sleep on Brown.</P>

Shortly after making that statement TC*decided to waive Brown . . . . . </P>

I will be shocked if he makes the team . . . .* I will*eat a pile of my own fesces if he is named the #2 back.* * </P>
The point I am making is, you never know what will happen. Yes Coughlin waived him, but he still managed to placed on the practice squad.

G-Man67
06-08-2012, 02:17 PM

placing him on the Practice Squad does not protect him ... any team can sign any player off any practice squad ... now, having said that, clearly the Giants thought he could play and wanted him to know the system</P>

Cruz on IR, i would agree ... for example, we think highly of Hixon, but we still did cut him when he got hurt and we coulda done the same with Cruz</P>

either way, good to hear that Andre is healthy, not suspended and providing more competition at the RB position ... and it is nice that our RBs are all a bit different</P>

giantsfan420
06-08-2012, 03:46 PM
People are forgetting that tc/kg want that diversity in our rb unit. They want that same stable of a speed guy, a power guy, and a combo guy.

Bradshaw runs with power but hes not a power back. Wilson is the same. Scott is a pure speed guy but could have some power with his build. Ware is neither a speed or power back...if brown can give us that power back role, dont be surprised if he not only makes the team, but actually has a role we use too

Captain Chaos
06-08-2012, 03:49 PM

</P>

I like the way you think!!!

GMENAGAIN
06-08-2012, 04:17 PM

Shortly after making that statement TCdecided to waive Brown . . . . . </P>

I will be shocked if he makes the team . . . . I willeat a pile of my own fesces if he is named the #2 back. </P>

The point I am making is, you never know what will happen. Yes Coughlin waived him, but he still managed to placed on the practice squad.</P>

For the record, I don't dislike the guy -- I feel bad for him that a serious injury appears to have ruined what once looked like a promising career. I would love to see the guy make a big contribution this year, but I just don't see it happening . . . . .</P>

GMENAGAIN
06-08-2012, 04:19 PM
People are forgetting that tc/kg want that diversity in our rb unit. They want that same stable of a speed guy, a power guy, and a combo guy. Bradshaw runs with power but hes not a power back. Wilson is the same. Scott is a pure speed guy but could have some power with his build. Ware is neither a speed or power back...if brown can give us that power back role, dont be surprised if he not only makes the team, but actually has a role we use too</P>

I would like to see him become a power back . . . . but I don't think that you become a power back just by gaining weight (see Dayne, Ron).</P>

gmen0820
06-08-2012, 04:21 PM
Added weight, in any form can hinder performance. Brown hadn't shown much performance prior to this, so I'm not necessarily expecting him to be a bruising force.

If he makes the team over Ware, I'd be thrilled. Ware is a nice pass blocker, pass catcher, but I just hate him. I always hate certain players, like Will Blackmon, or R.W McQuarters.

gmen0820
06-08-2012, 04:22 PM
People are forgetting that tc/kg want that diversity in our rb unit. They want that same stable of a speed guy, a power guy, and a combo guy. Bradshaw runs with power but hes not a power back. Wilson is the same. Scott is a pure speed guy but could have some power with his build. Ware is neither a speed or power back...if brown can give us that power back role, dont be surprised if he not only makes the team, but actually has a role we use too</P>

I would like to see him become a power back . . . . but I don't think that you become a power back just by gaining weight (see Dayne, Ron).</P>Wow I just pretty much said the same thing lol

GMENAGAIN
06-08-2012, 04:36 PM

I would like to see him become a power back . . . . but I don't think that you become a power back just by gaining weight (see Dayne, Ron).</P>

Wow I just pretty much said the same thing lol</P>

Uh oh, we agree on something . . . . is the world coming to an end? </P>

It would be a nice story if this guy can become a stud RB after an Achilles tear (that is a brutal injury for any player to come back 100% from, much less a RB). I don't think that it will happen, but I could be wrong . . . . won't be the first time and won't be the last time . . . . . </P>