PDA

View Full Version : Best D-Line in Football next Season?

Tommy_Ribs
06-07-2012, 12:13 PM
I think it is between us and the Eagles realistically.

Canty and Joseph are high Quality players, and we have three Top-Notch DEs.

If Marvin Austin can do what he is capable of I think we are looking at 6 High Quality Linemen.

The Eagles have some real good players up front too, but Pierre-Paul gives us an edge I think.

Thoughts?

Flip Empty
06-07-2012, 12:25 PM
Yeah, I think so. Teams are lucky to have one elite D-end - the Giants have three.

This line should be able to bring the heat all game long. Health is the only thing that can slow it down.

OCs and QBs must hate seeing "New York Giants" on their schedule.

FroZeNx31x
06-07-2012, 12:34 PM
Giants hands down if you count Kiwi being able to apply pressure, not so much getting to the QB, but standing lineman up for the others to attack.

If Austin really comes through that leaves us with 2 run stuffing DT's (Joesph, Rogers) and 2 pass rushers (Canty, Austin). which would open up endless possible rush combinations at Fewell's disposal.

As far as our DE's go we all know Jpp, Tuck, and Osi will do their job. Mix in Tracy or Trattou, 2 talented depth guys, and fatigue is a something you'll never have to worry about.
There will always be 2 fresh D-Linemen in the game at all times which is sweet.

The Giants are really miles ahead of the other teams when it comes to quality, depth, and talent on the d-line.

Morehead State
06-07-2012, 12:35 PM
We have the best D line in football. And there is no close second. Depth and talent.

gmen0820
06-07-2012, 12:36 PM
Take your pick with Philly. It really is a toss up.

Neverend
06-07-2012, 01:05 PM
Yeah i agree. its between the giants and the eagles

the eagles i think had 46 defensive line sacks last year, whereas the giants had 41.5 defensive line sacks... which is impressive considering the injuries to osi/tuck during the course of the year

In the end, ill take the giants defensive line over phillys because of the run defense factor. I know the eagles are a 1-gap up field, attacking scheme and didnt have quality linebackers last year, but I don't think they'd hold up well against the run even if they were more disciplined. the giants have the pass rush and run-stuffing capabilities

burier
06-07-2012, 01:28 PM
We should have the best pass rush in the league.

But I don't understand why people assume that problems we had last season are just going to fix themselves.

Chris Canty doesn't bring it every play. Is he suddenly going to change his attitude? Perhaps but we have no reason to assume so and LJ would need to take a signifcant step for us to have a legit 1-2 punch at DT.

gumby742
06-07-2012, 01:37 PM
We should have the best pass rush in the league. But I don't understand why people assume that problems we had last season are just going to fix themselves. Chris Canty doesn't bring it every play. Is he suddenly going to change his attitude? Perhaps but we have no reason to assume so and LJ would need to take a signifcant step for us to have a legit 1-2 punch at DT.</P>

This. I can't say I'm not concerned given the dismal performance by our defense last year. Yeah, people were hurt, but dang we were BAD. With the talent we sitll had, there was no excuse to be as bad as we were.</P>

NYG4lifeNYK
06-07-2012, 01:46 PM

But I don't understand why people assume that problems we had last season are just going to fix themselves.

Chris Canty doesn't bring it every play. Is he suddenly going to change his attitude? Perhaps but we have no reason to assume so and LJ would need to take a signifcant step for us to have a legit 1-2 punch at DT.

Canty doesn't bring it every play? What?

Linval would have to step it up? He played his *** off all season and most importantly the playoffs. Guy is a force that keeps getting better.

Don't really understand those comments.

NYG4lifeNYK
06-07-2012, 01:50 PM
Oh and as far as D-line's go we are second to NO ONE.

<font color="#0000FF" size="3">
Osi--JPP--Tuck--Kiwi--Canty--Linval--Austin--Rogers--Trattou?</font>

Tell me any unit that can compete with the quality and quantity of our D-line.

burier
06-07-2012, 01:51 PM

Linval would have to step it up? He played his *** off all season and most importantly the playoffs. Guy is a force that keeps getting better.

I didnt say he needed to step up..He played well. I said he needed to take a step if he wants to be part of a dominate DT tandem. Same goes for Canty.

You should turn on the film of Canty. Infamous for taking plays off/running around blocks etc.

NWKEffectElement
06-07-2012, 02:18 PM

Maybe its the hate. But I still don't understand the love for philly's D-line. Their sack numbers were blown up because they are a one track D. I can't really say they are better than Detroit who actually plays the run.

gmen0820
06-07-2012, 02:43 PM

Maybe its the hate. But I still don't understand the love for philly's D-line. Their sack numbers were blown up because they are a one track D. I can't really say they are better than Detroit who actually plays the run.We have them beat at ends, they have us beat at DTs.

Jenkins, Patterson, Landri, Cox > Canty, Rogers, Joseph, Austin

JPP, Tuck, Osi, Kiwi > Babin, Cole, Curry, Parker

I think both teams have two elite pass rushers, and solid interiors. It's the third guy that's a trade off. NY has a better 3rd and 4th pass rusher, and Philly has a better 3rd and 4th DT.

Trade off in my mind.

Redeyejedi
06-07-2012, 03:21 PM
We have the best D line in football.* And there is no close second. Depth and talent. Giants are better but Philly is very good. Cole and Babin are very solid starters. What gives the Giants the edge is that Brandon Graham has not panned out. I think the rookie FLetcher Cox is going to be an absolute monster and Curry was 1 of the best pass rushers in the draft but they are unknowns

Neverend
06-07-2012, 03:23 PM

Maybe its the hate. But I still don't understand the love for philly's D-line. Their sack numbers were blown up because they are a one track D. I can't really say they are better than Detroit who actually plays the run.

im not so sure i would say detroit's d-line plays the run. i think they're just as undisciplined as philly's dline is.

NWKEffectElement
06-07-2012, 03:37 PM

Maybe its the hate. But I still don't understand the love for philly's D-line. Their sack numbers were blown up because they are a one track D. I can't really say they are better than Detroit who actually plays the run.We have them beat at ends, they have us beat at DTs.

I think both teams have two elite pass rushers, and solid interiors. It's the third guy that's a trade off. NY has a better 3rd and 4th pass rusher, and Philly has a better 3rd and 4th DT.

Trade off in my mind.

Jenkins is mostly a 3 tec pass rushing DT in that D. He was absolutely horrible against the run. Patterson is good against the run but good for nothing else. Detroit, Buffalo, and Houston has better D-Lines.

GIANTSACK
06-07-2012, 03:58 PM

do people watch these game or just read espn.. Wtf

ShakeNBake
06-07-2012, 04:12 PM
We have the best D line in football. And there is no close second. Depth and talent. Giants are better but Philly is very good. Cole and Babin are very solid starters. What gives the Giants the edge is that Brandon Graham has not panned out. I think the rookie FLetcher Cox is going to be an absolute monster and Curry was 1 of the best pass rushers in the draft but they are unknowns

I don't know why everyone is so enamored with Babin considering he is a speed rusher that's been in the league 9 years and has done virtually nothing with the exception of this passed season.

RichGiants81
06-07-2012, 04:21 PM

Damn straight

gmen0820
06-07-2012, 04:27 PM
We have the best D line in football.* And there is no close second. Depth and talent. Giants are better but Philly is very good. Cole and Babin are very solid starters. What gives the Giants the edge is that Brandon Graham has not panned out. I think the rookie FLetcher Cox is going to be an absolute monster and Curry was 1 of the best pass rushers in the draft but they are unknowns

I don't know why everyone is so enamored with Babin considering he is a speed rusher that's been in the league 9 years and has done virtually nothing with the exception of this passed season.
He had a good season in Tennessee too the year before last. He excels playing in that wide 9 system.

ShakeNBake
06-07-2012, 04:41 PM
We have the best D line in football. And there is no close second. Depth and talent. Giants are better but Philly is very good. Cole and Babin are very solid starters. What gives the Giants the edge is that Brandon Graham has not panned out. I think the rookie FLetcher Cox is going to be an absolute monster and Curry was 1 of the best pass rushers in the draft but they are unknowns

He had a good season in Tennessee too the year before last. He excels playing in that wide 9 system.

Right, but Babin is 32 and is predominately relies on the speed rush. It's not like the guy is going to emerge and be a dominant force for years to come, like JPP for instance who Babin is being compared to.

gmen0820
06-07-2012, 04:47 PM

Right, but Babin is 32 and is predominately relies on the speed rush. It's not like the guy is going to emerge and be a dominant force for years to come, like JPP for instance who Babin is being compared to.
Well I don't think a direct comparison to JPP would be fair, but Osi is kind of in the same boat, except with far more wear and tear.

Babin, although old in terms of years, barely played for many of those years he has spent in the league.

You could even make the case with Tuck, who is always banged up, and slowly getting up there in years as well. Babin as a 9T end has been one of the best sack artists of the past two years.

ShakeNBake
06-07-2012, 05:03 PM

Well I don't think a direct comparison to JPP would be fair, but Osi is kind of in the same boat, except with far more wear and tear.

Babin, although old in terms of years, barely played for many of those years he has spent in the league.

You could even make the case with Tuck, who is always banged up, and slowly getting up there in years as well. Babin as a 9T end has been one of the best sack artists of the past two years.

I think the best comparison would be to Osi, because of the type of DE and their age as well. You're right about wear and tear, however you still have to consider age because of the type of pass rusher Babin is, as well as the defense that the Eagles run which makes age that much more significant.

JesseJames
06-07-2012, 05:18 PM
people are over looking Shaun Rogers and what he brings to the middle of our defense, I know he's 33 years old but trust me nobody is going to run up the gut on us this year when he's in there because the man is "unmovable"

slipknottin
06-07-2012, 05:20 PM
Babin was also one of the worst strongside ends against the run in the league.

giantsfan420
06-07-2012, 05:35 PM
Babin was also one of the worst strongside ends against the run in the league.

True. But in their system he is not responsible for the run. The dt and lbs are. Both him and cole are attacking the qb almost every snap...

Cox could be solid for them in run support unfortunately.

But i agree with the op. We have the best dl in the league.

Manstache
06-07-2012, 05:53 PM
I think it is between us and the Eagles realistically.

Canty and Joseph are high Quality players, and we have three Top-Notch DEs.

If Marvin Austin can do what he is capable of I think we are looking at 6 High Quality Linemen.

The Eagles have some real good players up front too, but Pierre-Paul gives us an edge I think.

Thoughts?
dont 4get about shaun rodgers bruh. this cat singlehandedly collapses the interior of the pocket by himself. imagine the havoc we will wreak this year with tuck next to him on the interior AND jpp and osi on passing downs? man.....smh. this could very well be called the "gladiator" package, for the way offensive line walls will collapse.

Manstache
06-07-2012, 06:03 PM

Trade off in my mind.TWO elite pass rushers??? u gotta be high bruh. smh.... try 3 1/2 on this end pal. would be 4 but we drop kiwi at lb most of the time. as a full time starting de he is comparable to cole. aint no team capable of even thinking of assembling a package like NASCAR.

gmen0820
06-07-2012, 06:30 PM

Trade off in my mind.TWO elite pass rushers??? u gotta be high bruh. smh.... try 3 1/2 on this end pal. would be 4 but we drop kiwi at lb most of the time. as a full time starting de he is comparable to cole. aint no team capable of even thinking of assembling a package like NASCAR.Kiwi isn't an elite pass rusher, ever, "bruh". And I will give you that NY has 3, I'd agree with that, when everyone is healthy. I didn't necessarily mean it to be relegated to two, but Philly only has two.

Redeyejedi
06-07-2012, 06:36 PM

Babin is a pure edge rusher and for what he is asked to do does a good job of it

Redeyejedi
06-07-2012, 06:38 PM
people are over looking Shaun Rogers and what he brings to the middle of our defense, I know he's 33 years old but trust me nobody is going to run up the gut on us this year when he's in there because the man is "unmovable"Rodgers hasnt been good for years. Hardly a sure thing

Redeyejedi
06-07-2012, 06:41 PM

Trade off in my mind.TWO elite pass rushers??? u gotta be high bruh. smh.... try 3 1/2 on this end pal. would be 4 but we drop kiwi at lb most of the time. as a full time starting de he is comparable to cole. aint no team capable of even thinking of assembling a package like NASCAR.Kiwi isn't an elite pass rusher, ever, "bruh". And I will give you that NY has 3, I'd agree with that, when everyone is healthy. I didn't necessarily mean it to be relegated to two, but Philly only has two. Kiwi is nowhere near as good as Trent Cole its not even close

ShakeNBake
06-07-2012, 06:43 PM

Babin is a pure edge rusher and for what he is asked to do does a good job of it

Ok, but I wouldn't take him over Osi Tuck or JPP

Redeyejedi
06-07-2012, 06:47 PM

Your a Giant fan though so thats not a surprise. I bet if u asked around a NFL board people would take Babin over Osi

Drez
06-07-2012, 06:50 PM

Agreed.

Some people formed opinions about Canty in '09 and haven't changed them since.

ShakeNBake
06-07-2012, 06:51 PM

Your a Giant fan though so thats not a surprise. I bet if u asked around a NFL board people would take Babin over Osi

and I'll bet that most people haven't even heard of Babin

gmen0820
06-07-2012, 06:52 PM

I'd take him over Osi. Babin is one of the best 9T rushers in the league, much better than Osi in that department.

gmen0820
06-07-2012, 06:53 PM

He has had 30.5 sacks the past two years, those people who haven't heard of him probably shouldn't be even polled for a respectable opinion.

giantsforce
06-07-2012, 07:00 PM
Let's not forget the 49ers too. From what we saw last year, they were the only D-Line that gave a real beating on Eli. I just hope they do not keep that up. We were able to hold off most D-lines including the eagles but somehow the 49ers were too much. Good thing that Eli is an ironman.

ShakeNBake
06-07-2012, 07:01 PM

He has had 30.5 sacks the past two years, those people who haven't heard of him probably shouldn't be even polled for a respectable opinion.

Ok great, my point still stands that I'll take Osi over Babin. I think its more likely that Osi puts up higher numbers than a guy who has only done so twice over 9 seasons.

gmen0820
06-07-2012, 07:03 PM
Let's not forget the 49ers too. From what we saw last year, they were the only D-Line that gave a real beating on Eli. I just hope they do not keep that up. We were able to hold off most D-lines including the eagles but somehow the 49ers were too much.* Good thing that Eli is an ironman.
They have an excellent 3-4 DL, but that
s mainly because of Justin Smith. McDonald and Sopoaga are nice supporting players, together they formed a dominant unit.

But that defense was made by its LBers...A. Smith, Bowman, and Willis are all superstars.

miked1958
06-07-2012, 08:11 PM
Yes I think it will be the best in nfl

Marvelousmik
06-07-2012, 08:59 PM

osi, jpp, tuck canty

babin, cole, jenkins parker.

I like our d line better but whats with the
canty, linval hype? They are both average Dtackles.