PDA

View Full Version : Was Stephen Baker a beast?

BrandonJacobs
06-07-2012, 06:23 PM
I was in kindergarten during the 90's Super Bowl run, but the dude looked sick in the clips from America's Game. I don't remember ever hearing about him before however.

slipknottin
06-07-2012, 06:26 PM
compared to the other giants WRs at the time and before him, yes.

Compared to a guy like Nicks or Cruz, or even Manningham, no.

NYGRealityCheck
06-07-2012, 06:26 PM
His nickname was "the touchdown maker".

PIERCEnumber58rules
06-07-2012, 08:03 PM
He was in Tecmo Super Bowl! That game was my addiction growing up.

yoeddy
06-07-2012, 09:15 PM
His nickname was "the touchdown maker".

That was his college nickname...but with the Giants, he only averaged around 3TDs per season...

THE_New_York_Giants
06-07-2012, 09:22 PM
I was in kindergarten during the 90's Super Bowl run, but the dude looked sick in the clips from America's Game. I don't remember ever hearing about him before however.

All of the Giants receiver sucked until Toomer. Bavaro was great... but If Nicks and Cruz had been on those teams they would have gone undefeated.

miked1958
06-08-2012, 12:02 AM

Compared to a guy like Nicks or Cruz, or even Manningham, no.Agreed

Bohemian
06-08-2012, 12:51 AM
He definitely was the best that we had for a long time, but that is not saying much, because the receivers were mediocre at best. They were mostly possession type receivers, and along with Bavaro and Cross, they whole was much more than the sum of its parts.

Baker was a very reliable receiver, but by no means a 'beast'. Toomer changed the way that Giants fans look at the position.

Chris Calloway was not too bad either. He also had a couple of years where he proved to be an excellent threat, but far from being considered a 'beast'.

The Baker-Ingram combo was very efficient, but they were always there to move the chains, instead of being counted on as game changing threats.

Good topic, as it makes me look back at what was the late 80s and early 90s. I have to say that if you want to look at a combo of receivers that were true beasts, you have to look at the 49ers and Rams. Ellard and Anderson, and the Rice-Taylor combos were nightmares to face against. Plus we can't forget the Reed-Lofton combo of the Bills. And of course, the best of that time period has to be the Irvin-Harper combo... they really changed the game, up until Minnesota had its Carter-Moss combo later that decade.

For the most part, the typical receiver type from that period were rather small and quick. Miami had its great combo with Duper and Clayton for example.

The 80s were rather weird when you think of how teams scouted receivers. There were always exceptions, like the Swann-Stallworth combo, but for the most part, receivers were not much bigger than 5'10".

Rat_bastich
06-08-2012, 01:02 AM
The Giants in this time frame pretty much relied on receivers as possession type receivers. As said previously they were there to supplement the ground game. The ground game came first and then receiving usually came down to tight-end then receiver.

With a stingy defense it was an effective way of doing it.

Redeyejedi
06-08-2012, 01:33 AM

All of the Giants receiver sucked until Toomer.* Bavaro was great... but If Nicks and Cruz had been on those teams they would have gone undefeated.*
Maybe maybe not CB's were allowed to grab WR's then . Safeties were allowed to hit.I think Nicks would translate well not sure about Cruz

Roswell777
06-08-2012, 06:41 AM

Compared to a guy like Nicks or Cruz, or even Manningham, no.Agreed

Disagree.

Lionel Manuel and Earnest Gray were better. And Joe Morrison, Del Shofner and Homer Jones were far superior to Stephen Baker.

Baker did make an important catch in Supe 25. But, as a point of fact, he averaged under 30 yards receiving per game. Not exactly beastly for a wideout.

MattMeyerBud
06-08-2012, 10:40 AM

he was a touchdown maker

G-Man67
06-08-2012, 12:29 PM
ha, yeah not a beast ... but when you catch a TD in the Super Bowl ... you are immortalized in Giants lore and rightly so</P>

'88 was his best year ... 40 catches for 656 and 7 TDs ... which could project to a 1K season in this new NFL</P>

jomo
06-08-2012, 12:32 PM
He was a good receiver, not close to being a beast. He remains a good guy. I've chatted with him a few times in the parking lot before games.</P>

My reference point for beast is Bavaro. That is a high bar to hit.</P>

GMENAGAIN
06-08-2012, 12:41 PM
He was a good receiver, not close to being a beast. He remains a good guy. I've chatted with him a few times in the parking lot before games.</P>

My reference point for beast is Bavaro. That is a high bar to hit.</P>

</P>

+1</P>

He was one of the best of a group of mediocre receivers. </P>

yoeddy
06-08-2012, 01:14 PM

All of the Giants receiver sucked until Toomer.* Bavaro was great... but If Nicks and Cruz had been on those teams they would have gone undefeated.*

Even Toomer wasn't all that great...didn't become a starter til his 4th year, and then had a reputation for disappearing in big games/moments. Wasn't until Coughlin arrived and he took on the role of the #2 behind Plax where he became more reliable and clutch.

I'd say that before Coughlin arrived and started demanding better WRs, the best WR the Giants had in the 80s-90s was Mike Sherrard...

pino
06-08-2012, 01:27 PM
He wasn't a "beast" but the Giants were a more traditional smash-mouth offense back then, so receivers were not a priority. He was probably the best out of a mediocre group. He did make some big catches, including a TD pass in the SB, so he's remembered fondly, but he wasn't a beast.

Honestly, I don't remember the Giants ever having the kind of passing game we do now, but I can only reference as far as the Simms/Parcells era. Our "beast" back then was our defense. THAT was beast.

Roswell777
06-08-2012, 08:08 PM

Even Toomer wasn't all that great...didn't become a starter til his 4th year, and then had a reputation for disappearing in big games/moments. Wasn't until Coughlin arrived and he took on the role of the #2 behind Plax where he became more reliable and clutch.

I'd say that before Coughlin arrived and started demanding better WRs, the best WR the Giants had in the 80s-90s was Mike Sherrard...

If Sherrard never got hurt, he had a chance to be a beast.

yoeddy
06-08-2012, 09:58 PM
He wasn't a "beast" but the Giants were a more traditional smash-mouth offense back then, so receivers were not a priority. He was probably the best out of a mediocre group. He did make some big catches, including a TD pass in the SB, so he's remembered fondly, but he wasn't a beast.

Honestly, I don't remember the Giants ever having the kind of passing game we do now, but I can only reference as far as the Simms/Parcells era. Our "beast" back then was our defense. THAT was beast.

Agree with the general assessment of WRs back then, but there were guys like Odessa Turner who flashed bigger games than Baker ever did.

JJC7301
06-08-2012, 11:29 PM

Compared to a guy like Nicks or Cruz, or even Manningham, no.
Perfectly put. Stephen Baker "the Touchdown Maker." Baker, and the other Giants WRs during the late '80s, didn't have great speed or stand out from other WRs, but they had very good hands. If they got open and the ball was thrown to them, then they caught it. And they didn't fumble either. They definitely had their clutch moments.

YATittle1962
06-09-2012, 12:39 AM
All of the Giants receiver sucked until Toomer.

tell that to Homer Jones, Del Shofner , Kyle Rote, Frank Gifford, Walker Gillette, Lionel Manuel, Earnest Gray, and Bobby Johnson

....and to the OP...I wouldn't call Baker a "beast" but he was a fine football player

I thought Ingram was better

ru_gmen55
06-09-2012, 02:45 AM
If I'm not mistaken, I believe he's working at Centra State Medical Center doing some sort of work involving physical therapy or rehabilitation. My father and brother both work there, and told me they have seen him walking around before. Not sure if he's still there though...apparently he's a pretty nice guy.

Gimaniac
06-09-2012, 02:22 PM
He got a ring. Made big plays when we needed 'em.

NYG 5
06-09-2012, 03:01 PM
Really? Was Toomer really overrated, or was it because if Hilliard didn't play, defenses could just roll over and blanket Toomer?

I think people forget that the team had a massively overrated WR unit. There was Toomer, the often injured Hilliard, butterfingers Jurevicius, often injured Dixon, then guys like Thabiti Davis and Daryl Jones.

Same issue that Strahan had. If Holmes, Hamilton, or Griffin sucked, teams could double team Strahan all day. Actually, it still amazes me that he racked up 18 sacks in 2003 with no help.

Manstache
06-09-2012, 03:34 PM
I was in kindergarten during the 90's Super Bowl run, but the dude looked sick in the clips from America's Game. I don't remember ever hearing about him before however.he was cool. however, the term "beast" is thrown around rather loosely, like "legend". rice was a beast. irvin was was a beast. reed was a beast. baker was nice.

miken609
06-10-2012, 03:24 PM
they don't call him the TD maker for nothin. Id prefer if he was a cake baker!

RonJon
06-11-2012, 12:09 PM
He was a clutch receiver, tough for his size with deceptvie speed. His most memorable game I remember was the game in NO when Simms was hurt and Hostetler was forced to start. Baker was the entire offense that night, catching an 85 yard bomb from Hosteler where he faked out 2 Saints defenders and went the distance. Later made the big play on the winning drive when Jeff Rutledge avoided the blitz and heaved it downfield where Baker got wide open and caught it near the 10 yard line to set up the winning FG. Also made a big catch for TD in Super Bowl XXV just before halftime to get the Giants back in the game

Joe Morrison
06-11-2012, 12:38 PM
How do you put Stephen Baker, the TD Maker, all 5'-6" of him in the same sentence with the word beast?</P>

He was a good reciever, great for his size and time but don't know if he'd make it in today's game.</P>

I know Welker pulls it off but not sure if Baker could take the hits he takes.</P>

Still he was an exciting player while he was with the GMEN.</P>

Wonder where he is now?</P>

GMENAGAIN
06-11-2012, 12:51 PM
All of the Giants receiver sucked until Toomer. tell that to Homer Jones, Del Shofner , Kyle Rote, Frank Gifford, Walker Gillette, Lionel Manuel, Earnest Gray, and Bobby Johnson ....and to the OP...I wouldn't call Baker a "beast" but he was a fine football player <FONT size=4>I thought Ingram was better</FONT></P>

Me too . . . . and he made a "beastly" play in the 1990 SB . . . . .</P>

JMFP2
06-11-2012, 01:51 PM
He was in Tecmo Super Bowl! That game was my addiction growing up.

LOL......Totally!!!!

Bavaro was unstoppable and LT was a beast.

YATittle1962
06-11-2012, 02:36 PM
All of the Giants receiver sucked until Toomer. tell that to Homer Jones, Del Shofner , Kyle Rote, Frank Gifford, Walker Gillette, Lionel Manuel, Earnest Gray, and Bobby Johnson ....and to the OP...I wouldn't call Baker a "beast" but he was a fine football player <FONT size=4>I thought Ingram was better</FONT></P>

one of the best plays in the history of NY Giant football

nygsb42champs
06-11-2012, 03:12 PM
He was a good WR for that team. On todays team he would be the 5th WR.

gumby742
06-12-2012, 01:50 PM

Me three. I remember all this hype around Baker. But was underwhelmed when I saw him play.