PDA

View Full Version : Baseball

Walsh
06-07-2012, 08:49 PM
so, I am from the UK and love the mighty Giants.(followed them for about 1 and a half years now)

I follow Hockey with Rangers.

and now I have the issue of who to follow in Baseball? I don't really want to follow Yankee's just for the reason of them being the most popular team but as a huge Giant's fan is there a team which I HAVE to follow within Baseball??

Drez
06-07-2012, 08:52 PM
As it turns out, most Giants fans are Yankees fans. But, just follow who you want. But, just not a team from Philly, Boston, DC, or Dallas.

elisupporter10
06-07-2012, 08:53 PM
Just do yourself a favor dude, don't be a Mets fan. Take it from me, it's torture.

THE_New_York_Giants
06-07-2012, 09:00 PM
Be a Cubs fan.

Walsh
06-07-2012, 09:03 PM
Be a Cubs fan.

I can't do that, I want my teams to be NY only as I've always wanted to live in NY (which will most probably never happen) and both my other teams are NY so the third can't be NY :)

Drez
06-07-2012, 09:03 PM
Be a Cubs fan.

That just might be worse than being a Mets fan, lol.

ShakeNBake
06-07-2012, 09:09 PM
Be a Cubs fan.

I can't do that, I want my teams to be NY only as I've always wanted to live in NY (which will most probably never happen) and both my other teams are NY so the third can't be NY :)

So its either Yankees or Mets, I wouldn't pick the Mets unless you enjoy being disappointed year after year.

Walsh
06-07-2012, 09:14 PM
Be a Cubs fan.

So its either Yankees or Mets, I wouldn't pick the Mets unless you enjoy being disappointed year after year.

well on Saturday it is NY vs NY, I will watch the game and see what game suites me but I am swinging the way to the Met's a lot!!

THE_New_York_Giants
06-07-2012, 09:19 PM
Be a Cubs fan.

well on Saturday it is NY vs NY, I will watch the game and see what game suites me but I am swinging the way to the Met's a lot!!

As a Mets fan, I can tell you that it gets annoying going to games and seeing every highlight from the 86 run. They show the entire world series highlights every home game.. I guess that's all we really have as Mets fans though besides 1969.

SweetZombieJesus
06-07-2012, 09:24 PM
The Giants and Yankees cohabited in Yankee Stadium from 1956-1972. They are New York's elder franchises (1925 and 1903) and both have rich histories and tradition. They both also have conservative values and no-nonsense playing styles (no cheerleaders, no apples popping out of top hats). They both value their former players and both teams have a long stream of important players and coaches. The two franchises really do have a lot in common.

Also the golden era of 1956-1963 was unparalleled in sports history and bonded the two teams together making Yankee Stadium the nexus of the sports universe -- the Giants were in the championship game 6 times in 8 years and the Yankees were in the World Series 7 times in the same 8 years.

http://www.stadiumsofprofootball.com/past/images/yank08955.JPG

Yes with the Yankees you will have the idiots who loosely follow them because they have won 27 championships but there are other types of fans at the core.

THE_New_York_Giants
06-07-2012, 09:29 PM
The Giants and Yankees cohabited in Yankee Stadium from 1956-1972. They are New York's elder franchises (1925 and 1903) and both have rich histories and tradition. They both also have conservative values and no-nonsense playing styles (no cheerleaders, no apples popping out of top hats). They both value their former players. The two franchises really do have a lot in common.

http://www.stadiumsofprofootball.com/past/images/yank08955.JPG

Yes with the Yankees you will have the idiots who loosely follow them because they have won 27 championships but there are other types of fans at the core.

The New York baseball Giants were 20 years older than the Yanks. My family stems from baseball Giants fans. Unfortunately the Wilpons hate the Giants and built the stadium as a momento to the Dodgers. Them moving apparently killed my great grandmother of heartache... or so says my grandfather.

SweetZombieJesus
06-07-2012, 09:36 PM
The New York baseball Giants were 20 years older than the Yanks. My family stems from baseball Giants fans. Unfortunately the Wilpons hate the Giants and built the stadium as a momento to the Dodgers.

Both teams moved out in 1958; the baseball teams we have left are from 1903 and 1962.

One of the reasons I have disdain for the Mets (aside from the poor manner in which they are run) is their infatuation with the Dodgers... Yes, I get they were created to replace the Dodgers & Giants -- the Dodger blue, the Giant orange, the Yankee pinstripes. I get it. But I think it's pathetic they rely on nostalgia for two teams that left instead of building their own. The franchise is 52 years old, how about making their own history? The first time I went to Citi Field not only does it look like Ebbet's Field but there's a giant mural of JACKIE ROBINSON WHO DID NOT PLAY FOR THE METS in the rotunda entrance and DODGER GHOSTS on the walls. Did I miss when the Dodgers came back to New York?

SweetZombieJesus
06-07-2012, 09:44 PM

Don't do it, the Mets are institutional losers! Have you paid attention to the Jets? That's the Mets in MLB. They are gimmicky, always relying on huge free agent risks, tearing down the whole organization every 4-5 years because their plans went so wrong. Gimmicky sideshows on the field to distract from the bad ball being played.

Would you follow the Jets in football?

And besides, you follow the Rangers so you already have a snakebitten franchise on the books.

THE_New_York_Giants
06-07-2012, 09:53 PM

Don't do it, the Mets are institutional losers! Have you paid attention to the Jets? That's the Mets in MLB. They are gimmicky, always relying on huge free agent risks, tearing down the whole organization every 4-5 years because their plans went so wrong. Gimmicky sideshows on the field to distract from the bad ball being played.

And besides, you follow the Rangers so you already have a snakebitten franchise on the books.

Okay... first of all they aren't the Jets of the MLB. That's the Marlins. Outside of Bay, the entire Mets team is basically Mets farm players, players they've aquired in trades, and other teams cast offs. I go to a lot of Mets and Yankees games and neither franchise has side shows IMO. The Yankees are the ones who depend on big name free agents. Sabathia, Burnett, ARod, Texiera, Granderson, Giambi, David Wells, Wade Boggs. Outside of Jeter, Posada, and Rivera, the Yankees can't grow a team on their own. So they just sign every other team's superstars to huge contracts and when they start sucking, they trade them to the Pirates or A's and pay 80% of the salary.

Who on the Mets is a big name free agent currently besides Bay?

Lets look at the Yankees big name free agents currently on the roster:
ARod, Texeira, Igarashi, Soriano, Martin, Swisher, Jones, Ibanez, Granderson, Chavez

SweetZombieJesus
06-08-2012, 07:38 AM
Okay... first of all they aren't the Jets of the MLB. That's the Marlins. Outside of Bay, the entire Mets team is basically Mets farm players, players they've aquired in trades, and other teams cast offs.

NOW they are reaping the benefits of their farm system, for the first time in a long time, and are to be commended. But since the Bobby Bonilla days it's been a free agent spending spree most of the time. How many farm system players ever starred for the Mets in the last 20 years? Reyes and Wright? The Mets spend most of their time centering the franchise around huge free agents like Bonilla and Pi***a. The Yankees haven't done that since Reggie Jackson days (and even then he was dropped into a team stocked with home grown talent that was already on the verge by itself).

I go to a lot of Mets and Yankees games and neither franchise has side shows IMO.

You're kidding, right?
http://inothernewz.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Mr._Met1.jpghttp://3.bp.blogspot.com/_RJnZXOek6bo/SGhfSJHIzHI/AAAAAAAABHI/H-81EYkmB7s/s320/Apple.JPG

Amateur theatrical gimmicks. The Yankees and Giants don't waste their time on that rubbish. The Mets and Jets do (the Jets have cheerleaders and guys with flags who criss cross the field on a TD).

The Yankees are the ones who depend on big name free agents. Sabathia, Burnett, ARod, Texiera, Granderson, Giambi, David Wells, Wade Boggs. Outside of Jeter, Posada, and Rivera, the Yankees can't grow a team on their own.

Horse ****. The Yankees sprinkle in some big name free agents but the core is always from their farm system, it puts the Mets to shame. Look at the current roster (and I'll include injured guys) -- Pettite, Jeter, Rivera, Chamberlain, Cano, Hughes, Nova, et al. Over the last 20 years I can name a dozen huge superstar home grown players for the Yankees (throw in Mattingly, Bernie, Posada), versus how many for the Mets, two or three?

Firenugget
06-08-2012, 07:52 AM
This is silly. Imo if you ask who you should be a fan of, you're not a fan of anyone and probably never will be. Personally I can't stand watching baseball. I'd rather watch the toilet water swirl.

FBomb
06-08-2012, 08:28 AM
Baseball is boring. Ignore it and enjoy your Summers.

Redeyejedi
06-08-2012, 09:11 AM
Im a Yankee fan and usually have a dislike for the Mets but not this year. Everyone buried them before opening day. They are scrappy team filled with young players and castaways. I hope they hang in there all the way to the end this year

Redeyejedi
06-08-2012, 09:21 AM

Don't do it, the Mets are institutional losers!* Have you paid attention to the Jets?* That's the Mets in MLB.* They are gimmicky, always relying on huge free agent risks, tearing down the whole organization every 4-5 years because their plans went so wrong.* Gimmicky sideshows on the field to distract from the bad ball being played.

Okay... first of all they aren't the Jets of the MLB.* That's the Marlins.* Outside of Bay, the entire Mets team is basically Mets farm players, players they've aquired in trades, and other teams cast offs.* I go to a lot of Mets and Yankees games and neither franchise has side shows IMO.* The Yankees are the ones who depend on big name free agents.* Sabathia, Burnett, ARod, Texiera, Granderson, Giambi, David Wells, Wade Boggs.* Outside of Jeter, Posada, and Rivera, the Yankees can't grow a team on their own.* So they just sign every other team's superstars to huge contracts and when they start sucking, they trade them to the Pirates or A's and pay 80% of the salary.

Who on the Mets is a big name free agent currently besides Bay?*

ARod, Texeira,* Igarashi, Soriano, Martin, Swisher, Jones, Ibanez, Granderson, Chavez
Arod was a trade. They traded a Homegrown Alfonso Soriano for. Granderson was a trade. They traded a few good homegrown players in that deal.Nick Swisher was a trade. Id hardly call Ibanez,Chavez and Jones big name FA's. Ibanez is making 1 million dollars this year. Anybody could of signed him. Eric Chavez makes under a 1 million dollars another guy anybody could sign.Andrew Jones makes 2 million.
Do the Yankees sign FA's yep but get your facts straight at least

TuckYou
06-08-2012, 12:32 PM
As it turns out, most Giants fans are Yankees fans. But, just follow who you want. But, just not a team from Philly, Boston, DC, or Dallas.
</P>

If I was starting off watching baseball, and wanted to find a team (if my hometown doesnt have a team), Id watch as many games as I could throughout the year and then pick a team I feel the most comfortable cheering for. Find some players you feel you love rooting for, and pick a team. Or just root for the Yankees or Mets, the home teams. </P>

G-Man67
06-08-2012, 01:05 PM
so, I am from the UK and love the mighty Giants.(followed them for about 1 and a half years now) I follow Hockey with Rangers. and now I have the issue of who to follow in Baseball? I don't really want to follow Yankee's just for the reason of them being the most popular team but as a huge Giant's fan is there a team which I HAVE to follow within Baseball??</P>

who's your footy club?</P>

if you are Man U., then you can probably be a Mets fan b/c their success will offset the Mets failures ... now the Mets are better than the Jets and not nearly as LOUD as the Jets</P>

i adopted LFC as my club several years ago and now with the wonders of the internet i've been able to watch just about every match they've played the last 3 seasons</P>

TrueBlue2180
06-08-2012, 02:00 PM

Okay... first of all they aren't the Jets of the MLB. That's the Marlins. Outside of Bay, the entire Mets team is basically Mets farm players, players they've aquired in trades, and other teams cast offs. I go to a lot of Mets and Yankees games and neither franchise has side shows IMO. The Yankees are the ones who depend on big name free agents. Sabathia, Burnett, ARod, Texiera, Granderson, Giambi, David Wells, Wade Boggs. Outside of Jeter, Posada, and Rivera, the Yankees can't grow a team on their own. So they just sign every other team's superstars to huge contracts and when they start sucking, they trade them to the Pirates or A's and pay 80% of the salary.

Who on the Mets is a big name free agent currently besides Bay?

ARod, Texeira, Igarashi, Soriano, Martin, Swisher, Jones, Ibanez, Granderson, Chavez
Arod was a trade. They traded a Homegrown Alfonso Soriano for. Granderson was a trade. They traded a few good homegrown players in that deal.Nick Swisher was a trade. Id hardly call Ibanez,Chavez and Jones big name FA's. Ibanez is making 1 million dollars this year. Anybody could of signed him. Eric Chavez makes under a 1 million dollars another guy anybody could sign.Andrew Jones makes 2 million.
Do the Yankees sign FA's yep but get your facts straight at least

Also, Granderson was acquired by trading their top prospect at the time in Austin Jackson. Cano is home grown. Pettitte is home grown. As are Phil Hughes, Nova (got him via trade when he was in the minors and he played in the yankees system before getting the call up), Brett Gardner, David Robertson ...

Also, Igarashi? He's a bum that started with the Mets after leaving Japan and he only made it up to the show with the Yankees because Garcia had to take time away from the team. Not a big name free agent at all. He's the equivalent of Stacy Andrews. They Yankees also traded away Soriano in his prime for ARod, so it's not like they merely picked him up in free agency. So if you're not going to put Johan on the list of Mets free agents, don't put ARod or Swisher on there for the Yankees.

Captain Chaos
06-08-2012, 02:55 PM
Most members are Giants / Yankees some are Giants / Mets, but I think the latter regretts that most of the time...

ru_gmen55
06-08-2012, 03:27 PM
I find most Yankee fans to sound like a bunch if pretentious wine-tasters when they talk about their team. Which, to be fair, is a right the DIEHARDS have earned. There's no doubt that their fanbase is dominated by annoying bandwagoners who have no idea what the hell they're talking about...which I guess is bound to happen whenever a team has a prolonged run of success.

Whoever said the Mets are like the Jets with their dealings is wrong. In recent history, the Mets haven't always made moves that have worked out, but I strongly believe that most moves they have made for the past 10 years or so have been with their hearts on the right place. They are a championship starved team who never really has the right guy at the helm. Omar Minaya was and still is a fine talent evaluator and scout...but unfortunately he's a total moron when it comes to handling a large payroll....and previous GM's have all seemed to have their one "flaw."

Back to the topic...if it was me, watching the Yankees win a championship as a new fan wouldn't be all that thrilling. I don't care what anybody says...if the Mets ever win another one, it will be a surreal experience for the whole city. The best championship runs are from the teams you least expect to make one. I think the fans on this board can understand that.

ru_gmen55
06-08-2012, 03:28 PM
</P>

If I was starting off watching baseball, and wanted to find a team (if my hometown doesnt have a team), Id watch as many games as I could throughout the year and then pick a team I feel the most comfortable cheering for. Find some players you feel you love rooting for, and pick a team. Or just root for the Yankees or Mets, the home teams. </P>

Wish I read this before posting...100% agreed.

SweetZombieJesus
06-08-2012, 03:42 PM
Back to the topic...if it was me, watching the Yankees win a championship as a new fan wouldn't be all that thrilling. I don't care what anybody says...if the Mets ever win another one, it will be a surreal experience for the whole city. The best championship runs are from the teams you least expect to make one. I think the fans on this board can understand that.

I have to completely disagree. My dad was a die-hard Yankee fan and I only have two childhood memories of the Yankees -- watching them convert the field between football and baseball on the same afternoon (maximum age I could have been is 3) and I do fondly remember the Reggie Jackson era and Munson's plane crash. Ok the 77-79 Yankees are more than one memory but you get the point, the whole Bronx Zoo, Billy Martin carousel, "I am the straw that stirs the drink" era.

Anyway I was rather blase about baseball, I do remember the excitement in the city when the Mets won... I started taking the Yankees seriously in the mid 90s when they were trying to get over the hump vs the Blue Jays -- in '94 they had the best record when the season ended due to the strike, in '95 that heartbreaker series to the Mariners, and then in '96 they were the definition of scrappy, especially going against the mighty Braves and being down 2 games to 0. Like my love of the Giants being born in the 1990 MNF loss to the 49ers and subsequent run, my love for the Yankees was forged in that cauldron of coming back and winning the next 4 games. I like my teams to be scrappy and show character, apparently.

As you said, the best championship runs are from the teams you least expect, and the '96 Yankees were one of those teams. And at the time they had an 18 year drought. People tend to forget the scrappy character of the 96 team in the wake of the dynasty that followed.

Not exactly the swagger of the dynastic Yankees either historically or 96-2000 that most people cite, but that's what cemented me.

Part of being a true Yankee fan is being able to weed out the hangers-on -- the Yankee/Cowboy/Laker/Notre Dame lamers.

Whoever said the Mets are like the Jets with their dealings is wrong.
In recent history, the Mets haven't always made moves that have worked
out, but I strongly believe that most moves they have made for the past
10 years or so have been with their hearts on the right place. They are
a championship starved team who never really has the right guy at the
helm. Omar Minaya was and still is a fine talent evaluator and
scout...but unfortunately he's a total moron when it comes to handling a
large payroll....and previous GM's have all seemed to have their one
"flaw."

Sounds exactly like the Jets... Constant regime changes, betting the farm on free agent orgies, "hearts in the right place" but heads up their asses. Championship starved, wrong guy at the helm, new coach and GM every 3-4 years, idiotic ownership...

ru_gmen55
06-08-2012, 04:22 PM
Yeah, those 90's Yankee teams were extremely scrappy, and did a lot with only a tiny bit of "star power"...which is why I don't understand why they feel the need to go after every big-name free agent and every big-time player on the block. The 2009 run was just not tha interesting of a story for most baseball fans. It was the powerhouse Yankees being a powerhouse. A championship is a championship, but where's the fun in that?

I never denied that the Mets have had an awful front office since the Frank Cashen era...trust me, it's EXTREMELY frustrating. But to call them a circus is silly. The Mets haven't made a "bad baseball move" for the sole reason of generating ticket sales...which is what the Jets seem to do constantly. The exception was 2002 when they signed guys like Alomar, Vaughn, Burnitz, etc...and those guys all bombed hard, no doubt.

I don't know...honestly I don't even know why I'm worrying about this conversation. I'm just trying to enjoy the little success they are having now before it ends hahaha. Now that they finally have a competent GM and Manager, maybe their fortunes will turn around.

miked1958
06-08-2012, 09:44 PM
Just do yourself a favor dude, don't be a Mets fan. Take it from me, it's torture.I know.. How do you go from throwing a No-Hitter vs defending Champs to allowing Back to Back to Back Homeruns?

miked1958
06-08-2012, 09:44 PM
It's beyond me

JJC7301
06-08-2012, 10:08 PM
Just do yourself a favor dude, don't be a Mets fan. Take it from me, it's torture.
I'm a Mets fan too, but I started following them in the early '80s when they were a laughing stock and it made it that much more worthwhile when they were able to win an historic World Series in '86.

I'm not a Yanks hater, but they just seem to be an easy bandwagon to jump on. Then again, being a Mets fan often means having to mentally divorce yourself from baseball and having to look forward to the football season.

Redeyejedi
06-08-2012, 10:22 PM

I have to completely disagree.* My dad was a die-hard Yankee fan and I only have two childhood memories of the Yankees -- watching them convert the field between football and baseball on the same afternoon (maximum age I could have been is 3) and I do fondly remember the Reggie Jackson era and Munson's plane crash.* Ok the 77-79 Yankees are more than one memory but you get the point, the whole Bronx Zoo, Billy Martin carousel, "I am the straw that stirs the drink" era.

Anyway I was rather blase about baseball, I do remember the excitement in the city when the Mets won...* I started taking the Yankees seriously in the mid 90s when they were trying to get over the hump vs the Blue Jays -- in '94 they had the best record when the season ended due to the strike, in '95 that heartbreaker series to the Mariners, and then in '96 they were the definition of scrappy, especially going against the mighty Braves and being down 2 games to 0.* Like my love of the Giants being born in the 1990 MNF loss to the 49ers and subsequent run, my love for the Yankees was forged in that cauldron of coming back and winning the next 4 games.* I like my teams to be scrappy and show character, apparently.

As you said, the best championship runs are from the teams you least expect, and the '96 Yankees were one of those teams.* And at the time they had an 18 year drought.* People tend to forget the scrappy character of the 96 team in the wake of the dynasty that followed.

Not exactly the swagger of the dynastic Yankees either historically or 96-2000 that most people cite, but that's what cemented me.

Part of being a true Yankee fan is being able to weed out the hangers-on -- the Yankee/Cowboy/Laker/Notre Dame lamers.

Whoever said the Mets are like the Jets with their dealings is wrong.
In recent history, the Mets haven't always made moves that have worked
out, but I strongly believe that most moves they have made for the past
10 years or so have been with their hearts on the right place. They are
a championship starved team who never really has the right guy at the
helm. Omar Minaya was and still is a fine talent evaluator and
scout...but unfortunately he's a total moron when it comes to handling a
large payroll....and previous GM's have all seemed to have their one
"flaw."

Sounds exactly like the Jets...* Constant regime changes, betting the farm on free agent orgies, "hearts in the right place" but heads up their asses.* Championship starved, wrong guy at the helm, new coach and GM every 3-4 years, idiotic ownership...
That 1994 Yankee team was really good. They had a pretty big lead if I remember correctly.Baseball playoffs are a crap shoot. No way of knowing if they would of won.I thought they were the best team that year though

ru_gmen55
06-09-2012, 01:24 AM
Just do yourself a favor dude, don't be a Mets fan. Take it from me, it's torture.I know.. How do you go from throwing a No-Hitter vs defending Champs to allowing Back to Back to Back Homeruns?

It happens. Ace pitchers tend to have trouble pitching on extra rest, especially Santana. He didn't have great command, and he kept missing up...which is LETHAL in that park against that lineup. I'm not worried...he'll be fine.