PDA

View Full Version : Where will the Giants D rank at the end of this season

G-Man67
06-08-2012, 04:37 PM
ok, good debate going in another thread</P>

but at the end of the day [:)]</P>

let's go on record</P>

and i could care less about yards per game, so meaningless ... if ur winning and the other team is trying to come back ... they rack up some meaningless yards and that throws it off</P>

so, let's go with the average rank between PPG, Sacksand Takeways ... i.e. 8th in PPG, 11th in takewaysand 2nd in sacks would be 7th</P>

so since we do score more points than the average team, we will give up a few more b/c of that</P>

i will go with 10th in PPG, 7th in takeways and 2nd in sacks ... for around 6th overall</P>

Neverend
06-08-2012, 04:51 PM
Tough, because I have no idea how the D will look like scheme-wise and personnel-wise next year

Are the giants going to continue with the aggressive man coverage like we saw towards the end of the year? Are they going back to more tampa 2/zone like we saw thru the regular season? Are the corners going to play outside leverage like they did in the regular season or more man-under/tight coverage like we saw through out the playoffs?

Are they going to use T2 on the outside or in the slot more this year? Etc.

I think this defense has the potential to be the best in the league. I think the way they played in 2010 (#1 or 2 statistically for the majority of the year until grossman and rodgers had big numbers) proves this defense has a very high ceiling. I think if the defense is for the most part healthy, they bring T2 along slowly (I say more slot for him this year), and play more man -- its going to be a very good defense

So many ifs tho

buffyblue
06-08-2012, 04:57 PM
I am going to estimate around 11th but maybe a little bit lower. The defense will be better than it was this year but are still soft at linbacker and secondary is questionable. However I am happy with that because our d line is so strong and can really step up and bring it. I know that he has not played football but I think Austin will have a very nice season for us. He is a Tar Heel and Tar Heels tend to be great NY Giants. God is a Tar Heel and that is why the sky is Carolina Blue.

buddy33
06-08-2012, 05:07 PM
If they stay healthy they should be very good. Remember what they base ranking on tough. They base it on yards. The difference with the Giants defense of last year and a top 10 defense last year was around 40 yards per game.

I understand what you are saying, but sometimes stats can be misleading. Like I said, if healthy I think they can be very good.

TuckYou
06-08-2012, 05:10 PM
We play bend dont break D leading to giving up a bunch of yards, touh to break the top 10 on D. </P>

If healthy I say around 10. </P>

Offense is top 6 IMO. </P>

STs should be a lot better with the new return guys and Weatherford being locked in. </P>

JJC7301
06-08-2012, 10:46 PM
I'd love to see them have the top rated D for the 1st time in forever.

miked1958
06-08-2012, 11:32 PM
I'd love to see them have the top rated D for the 1st time in forever.Doesnt really matter to me if we are a top ranked D or not as long as we get results like last yr

greenca190
06-08-2012, 11:53 PM

Didn't we have the top rated defense in 07 or 08?

GmenFan1980
06-09-2012, 01:48 AM

Didn't we have the top rated defense in 07 or 08?

in 08 we had the 5th ranked defense in points and yards & 07 the D was 17th in points, but 7th in yards

according to pro football focus that is

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyg/2007.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyg/2008.htm

My prediction for overall D this year lol:

http://i.imgur.com/o4Zw4.gif

giantsfan420
06-09-2012, 02:05 AM
I know its a bold prediction but thats how others perceive it. To me, its whats gonna happen based on my understanding:

D- top five

O- top three

nhpgiantsfan
06-09-2012, 07:32 AM
I see the D as being very average with great sack numbers. They have not really answered the LB issues. I am not sold on Chase for a full season. And I really don't believe that TT will have as solid a year that Ross had last year. Not saying Ross was great but he was very serviceable. We'll see. I guess it really all depends on health.

Neverend
06-09-2012, 08:14 AM

yea, theyve been the number one D for many instances the last few years but has never been able to sustain it

2009... one of the worst defenses in the history of the giants franchise was actually the number one defense in the nfl through 10 weeks of the regular season (after they had lost to san diego, whom they held impressively to around 200 yds of offense if im not wrong)

hopefully this is the year

slipknottin
06-09-2012, 10:08 AM
They are never consistent enough to be a top defense. I say somewhere around 12th-15th.

NY_Eli
06-09-2012, 10:36 AM
Strength of schedule plays a large part in these rankings. Not all teams have to play GB, NO, Philly 2x a year.

Redeyejedi
06-09-2012, 11:37 AM
They are never consistent enough to be a top defense. I say somewhere around 12th-15th.I agree.They were ranked what 25th in PPG last year.Lose 1 more regular season game Fewell might of gotten fired

giantsfan39
06-09-2012, 12:57 PM
7th best defense
5th best offense

giantbruinfan
06-09-2012, 01:10 PM
If the linebackers are solid this year 5th defense 5th offense

Manstache
06-09-2012, 01:24 PM
ok, good debate going in another thread</P>

but at the end of the day [:)]</P>

let's go on record</P>

and i could care less about yards per game, so meaningless ... if ur winning and the other team is trying to come back ... they rack up some meaningless yards and that throws it off</P>

so, let's go with the average rank between PPG, Sacks*and Takeways ... i.e. 8th in PPG, 11th in takeways*and 2nd in sacks would be 7th</P>

so since we do score more points than the average team, we will give up a few more b/c of that</P>

i will go with 10th in PPG, 7th in takeways and 2nd in sacks ... for around 6th overall</P>3rd overall, 1st in sacks. 12th in takeaways, 1st in forced fumbles.