PDA

View Full Version : Dave Diehl arrested - DWI

bELIeve_in_Giants
06-10-2012, 10:29 PM
<a class="account-group js-account-group js-action-profile js-user-profile-link" href="https://twitter.com/#%21/MikeGarafolo" data-user-id="12513132"><strong class="fullname js-action-profile-name show-popup-with-id">Mike Garafolo[/b]
<span>?</span><span class="username js-action-profile-name"><s>@</s>MikeGarafolo</span>
</a>

<p class="js-tweet-text">RT <s>@</s>shimon4ny (https://twitter.com/#%21/shimon4ny): Giants offensive lineman David Diehl arrested for DWI according to police sources in Queens. Being held at the 114pct</p>

DemandedAce
06-10-2012, 10:31 PM
Stupid thing to do, thankfully no one was hurt

bELIeve_in_Giants
06-10-2012, 10:32 PM
Stupid thing to do, thankfully no one was hurt

hopefully, no one was hurt. No details known yet.

jppmvp90
06-10-2012, 10:35 PM
prob the last guy id guess would do this(other than eli)

NYG 5
06-10-2012, 10:35 PM
sigh.

you're in the city

you're rich

take a cab

hire a chauffeur

only redemption is if he walks out of the lockout smoking a cigar

slipknottin
06-10-2012, 10:38 PM
Nfl provides a free cab service to all players too

redbeardxxv
06-10-2012, 10:39 PM
That service has been stopped.... but still, the man has enough $$$ to call a cab...

jppmvp90
06-10-2012, 10:40 PM

could be mistaken, but i think i saw a column on pft saying they quietly got rid of that program

redbeardxxv
06-10-2012, 10:48 PM
yeah, was posted a day or two ago..... interestingly enough, the Diehl story was just pulled from PFT. Dunno what that's about...

bELIeve_in_Giants
06-10-2012, 10:52 PM
When I did a search on twitter one guy says that Diehl hit his cousin's car and another says he "hit a couple of parked cars". These are not reporters or anything though.

Hopefully if it was an accident, it was just parked cars.

giantsfan420
06-10-2012, 10:53 PM
first time offended i believe, should be fined.

not a good thing at all tho. wtf is he thinking? team may suspend him to set the level...we havent had issues of this nature in a long time, and we wont for a long time either, and the org needs to send that mssg.

nothing crazy but enough to let the other guys know t def is not worth it in any way

jppmvp90
06-10-2012, 10:57 PM
any way hes cut cause of this? i think it happened mckenzie once in season

egyptian420
06-10-2012, 10:58 PM
Croatia won, what do you expect?

buddy33
06-10-2012, 10:58 PM
Keep us posted all you twitter followers.

bELIeve_in_Giants
06-10-2012, 11:01 PM
the 2 parked cars story is now reported by the NY post

<div class="post_main_body plm">
<h3 class="author_name">Paul Schwartz (http://sulia.com/source/S-866671)

</h3></div>

<ul class="vertical_list tiny_spacing"> Giants offensive lineman David Diehl
was arrested Sunday night for driving while intoxicated after hitting
two parked cars in Queens. Diehl was taken into custody and was being
held at the 114th precinct. #nyg

[/list]

jppmvp90
06-10-2012, 11:02 PM

<h3 class="author_name">Paul Schwartz (http://sulia.com/source/S-866671)

</h3></div>

<ul class="vertical_list tiny_spacing"> Giants offensive lineman David Diehl
was arrested Sunday night for driving while intoxicated after hitting
two parked cars in Queens. Diehl was taken into custody and was being
held at the 114th precinct. #nyg

[/list]

lucky he didnt kill someone. what an idiot

alau53
06-10-2012, 11:07 PM
he's a good guy who made a bad mistake..this **** just happened..hes in a queens cell waiting for monday am arraignment..will be released on own recognicence

giantsfan420
06-10-2012, 11:09 PM
he better not have fled the scene of a crime. if he is being held and questioned it could be something along those lines...

pure speculation of course but these kinda things suck. never woudla thought dd would be the guy to break this somewhat streak of good team behavior in temrs of not causing any serious issues (the osi thing wasnt a big deal imo it was overblown)

bELIeve_in_Giants
06-10-2012, 11:10 PM
How has the league been treating DWI's? Seems like a lot this off season - wonder if they'll crack down.

bELIeve_in_Giants
06-10-2012, 11:13 PM
NY Daily News has a few more details. He was alone in car. no one hurt. happened at 8:20. But, they mention "multiple" cars hit

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/david-diehl-offensive-line-star-ny-giants-busted-smashing-ride-multiple-parked-cars-article-1.1093248

bELIeve_in_Giants
06-10-2012, 11:31 PM
<a class="account-group js-account-group js-action-profile js-user-profile-link" href="https://twitter.com/#%21/shimon4ny" data-user-id="65277959"><strong class="fullname js-action-profile-name show-popup-with-id">Shimon Prokupecz[/b]
<span>?</span><span class="username js-action-profile-name"><s>@</s>shimon4ny</span>
</a>

<p class="js-tweet-text">NY Giant David Diehl failed a breathalyzer test according to cops.Hes facing DWI charges. Will see a judge in Queens crim court in the am.</p>

TuckYou
06-10-2012, 11:45 PM
Awesome. My signature curse even works in the off season.

bELIeve_in_Giants
06-10-2012, 11:46 PM
he better not have fled the scene of a crime. if he is being held and questioned it could be something along those lines...

pure speculation of course but these kinda things suck. never woudla thought dd would be the guy to break this somewhat streak of good team behavior in temrs of not causing any serious issues (the osi thing wasnt a big deal imo it was overblown)

pft is reporting that he was arrested at the scene, so it doesn't sound like he fled at all.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/10/david-diehl-arrested-for-possible-dui/

Redeyejedi
06-10-2012, 11:47 PM
Your probably right. Bet he was watching that

Flip Empty
06-10-2012, 11:59 PM
Dumbarse. Never expected something like this from him.

I wonder how badly the Giants will discipline him.

giantsfan420
06-11-2012, 12:14 AM
How has the league been treating DWI's?* Seems like a lot this off season - wonder if they'll crack down.

depends. first time offenders in any way would get fines. repeat offenders in any way, meaning other occurences that violated other league policy, would get suspended id think even if it was there first dwi offense

blueNorange
06-11-2012, 12:39 AM
LOL David Diehl is 5 minutes away from me, maybe I should go to the 114 precinct with a 'FREE DIEHL' poster

egyptian420
06-11-2012, 01:00 AM
Your probably right. Bet he was watching that
Guaranteed

redbeardxxv
06-11-2012, 02:17 AM
yeah, was posted a day or two ago..... interestingly enough, the Diehl story was just pulled from PFT. Dunno what that's about...

Ok, the PFT story is back up, but it says "Possible DUI" dunno how it's only possible if he failed a breathalyzer...maybe there's some question as to who was driving?
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/10/david-diehl-arrested-for-possible-dui/

fizzlestick
06-11-2012, 02:24 AM

Ok, the PFT story is back up, but it says "Possible DUI" dunno how it's only possible if he failed a breathalyzer...maybe there's some question as to who was driving?

A breathalyzer isn't good enough to prove anything, they have to wait for the blood test.

krygny
06-11-2012, 07:03 AM
he's a good guy who made a bad mistake ...
We're all good guys. Until we allow ourselves to be in stupid places at stupid times with stupid people doing stupid things.

Coach Carter
06-11-2012, 07:41 AM
Some folks on these message boards must be gods walking among mere mortals.

My take: people make mistakes, learn from them and move on.

Stop with the judgements.

nygsb42champs
06-11-2012, 07:56 AM
He would be one of the last guys I would think that would do something this stupid.

jomo
06-11-2012, 07:59 AM
Some folks on these message boards must be gods walking among mere mortals. My take: people make mistakes, learn from them and move on. Stop with the judgements.Thank you!

WORLDCHAMPS
06-11-2012, 08:44 AM
WOW - i saw David at Passaic County Technical institute in Wayne NJ on friday and Sat night at his daughters dance recital....even took a pic with him and told him how im a huge fan etc etc....Totally nice guy. After sitting through two 4 hour dance shows that day (im an audio engineer) I needed to get drunk too!!!!! Hope no one was injured, and that he learned the lesson to TAKE A CAB!!! In person David was totally cool, and a frekin MONSTER!!

radar-ray
06-11-2012, 09:06 AM
Some folks on these message boards must be gods walking among mere mortals. My take: people make mistakes, learn from them and move on. Stop with the judgements.Thank you! Ditto!!!

netplus
06-11-2012, 09:14 AM
0.18 blood test - way over the legal limit.

"Per WNBC TV's Shimon Prokupecz, Diehl was arrested on 35th Avenue in Queens and held at the 114th precinct. Diehl reportedly refused a breathalyzer, necessitating his arrest. His BAC level was 0.18 on a blood test, and he'll appear in front of a Queens criminal judge on Monday morning. The 31-year-old has no history of off-the-field problems. If found guilty, he could still face a short NFL suspension. "

buddy33
06-11-2012, 09:42 AM
If he is suspended could we have seen the last of Diehl?

Just saying, if he was suspended and whoever replaces him does a good job, maybe he gets cut? I don't hint he will, and I'm not saying he should be, but he did not have his best season last year and he makes a good amount of money.

RoanokeFan
06-11-2012, 09:45 AM

Actually, not any more. The "Safe Rides" porgam was taken over by the NFLPA and, get this, the fee is $85.00 an hour. There's an article on it in today's news thread.

RoanokeFan
06-11-2012, 09:46 AM
If he is suspended could we have seen the last of Diehl?

Just saying, if he was suspended and whoever replaces him does a good job, maybe he gets cut? I don't hint he will, and I'm not saying he should be, but he did not have his best season last year and he makes a good amount of money.

He won't be suspended. McKenzie wasn't suspended when he plead guilty which is what Diehl should do. It's his first offense.

RoanokeFan
06-11-2012, 09:47 AM
He would be one of the last guys I would think that would do something this stupid.

We are all guilty of "stupid" at one time or another

RoanokeFan
06-11-2012, 09:59 AM
We're all good guys. Until we allow ourselves to be in stupid places at stupid times with stupid people doing stupid things.

So one mistakes makes him what, besides stupid?

Rudyy
06-11-2012, 10:05 AM
"Omg!!!111 how could he do something like this???!!!!" (red font) It sucks this happened, and this was not a smart decision on his part, but let's calm down and relax. Thankfully nobody was injured including himself. I believe the Giants organization is going to handle the the situation.Let's not get all out of control here..

NYG 5
06-11-2012, 10:28 AM

no. it makes him stupid that he felt the need to drive in the one city in the world that makes personal vehicles obsolete. and not just drive, but drive drunk.

NYGinIN
06-11-2012, 10:40 AM
When I did a search on twitter one guy says that Diehl hit his cousin's car and another says he "hit a couple of parked cars".* These are not reporters or anything though.

Hopefully if it was an accident, it was just parked cars.

I heard he was cruising around at night and saw a bunch of Eagles fans and decided to take them out in an act of liberating rage. The whole dui thing is a total cover up, a conspiracy, a scam. He payed some good money to change this story but hey, when you're rich you're rich.

RoanokeFan
06-11-2012, 10:49 AM

no. it makes him stupid that he felt the need to drive in the one city in the world that makes personal vehicles obsolete. and not just drive, but drive drunk.

How do you know where he was driving to and from?

NYGinIN
06-11-2012, 10:51 AM

it means he did something stupid but as a category it doesn't necessarily make him stupid. Even phenomenologically speaking, one action amongst many is just a rhizmatic departure from the multiplicity of human becoming. He most certainly isn't stupid -- the Giants offensive line has some of the most complicated assignments, he had a lapse in judgment.

G-Stan
06-11-2012, 11:03 AM
No, this doesn't make him a bad person in general but it was a dumb decision.

It's not a big deal bc nobody was hurt, but that could have easily been the case. I had a friend and cousin killed by drunk drivers. It only takes one time.

Diehl must make better decisions.

jakegibbs
06-11-2012, 11:11 AM
<a class="account-group js-account-group js-action-profile js-user-profile-link" href="https://twitter.com/#%21/MikeGarafolo" data-user-id="12513132"><strong class="fullname js-action-profile-name show-popup-with-id">Mike Garafolo[/b]
<span>?</span><span class="username js-action-profile-name"><s>@</s>MikeGarafolo</span>
</a>

<p class="js-tweet-text">RT <s>@</s>shimon4ny (https://twitter.com/#%21/shimon4ny): Giants offensive lineman David Diehl arrested for DWI according to police sources in Queens. Being held at the 114pct</p>

ARESSTED BUT NOT CONVICTED......Big difference. Let's hold the horses till the jury comes in please.

RoanokeFan
06-11-2012, 11:14 AM
</a>

ARESSTED BUT NOT CONVICTED......Big difference. Let's hold the horses till the jury comes in please.

Assuming the accuracy of the news reports putting his BAL at .018, he's guilty.

bELIeve_in_Giants
06-11-2012, 11:20 AM
With 2 high profile DUIs of NFL players last week, he really should have been extra careful. I don't think a DWI makes someone a bad person, but I don't understand what makes people take that risk when they don't have to. If I am driving, I don't order a drink. It's not complicated. Of course, I am a female who only weighs 115 pounds, so one drink could have an effect on my ability to drive.

I'm hoping he learned a lesson and no suspension happens. He has no off field issues that I know of, so it shouldn't be anything from the league for a 1st time offense.

RoanokeFan
06-11-2012, 11:23 AM
With 2 high profile DUIs of NFL players last week, he really should have been extra careful. I don't think a DWI makes someone a bad person, but I don't understand what makes people take that risk when they don't have to. If I am driving, I don't order a drink. It's not complicated. Of course, I am a female who only weighs 115 pounds, so one drink could have an effect on my ability to drive.

I'm hoping he learned a lesson and no suspension happens. He has no off field issues that I know of, so it shouldn't be anything from the league for a 1st time offense.

If we benefit from our mistakes, all is not lost.

Cool Papa B.
06-11-2012, 12:00 PM
Disappointed....

That's the word that keeps coming to me when I read about this situation. Deihl is one of the leaders of the Giants. He's a standup guy and a team player. You never see him showing up other players or anything stupid like that. I'm just so disappointed that he did this. Thank God no one was hurt!

He deserves a 2nd chance. People make mistakes and I don't think he should be suspended long term or cut from the team. Hopefully he never does this again.

krygny
06-11-2012, 12:30 PM
Seriously? The jury? Yagottabekiddin', right?

Nobody goes to a jury trial on a DWI. And <u>EVERYBODY</u> who's arrested is convicted. They may plea down to a lesser charge but they are ALWAYS convicted. It's what's called an "open and shut case".

In extremely rare cases, they manage to get off on a technicality. But that almost never happens anymore. The cops have gotten too good at it. They never screw up that bad anymore.

I don't care if you're a sadistic, unremorseful, sociopathic dog-killer who plays for the Eagles or you're caught driving a little tipsy and you play for the Giants. You do the crime, you do the time. Diehl will have to suck it up and move on.

JMFP2
06-11-2012, 12:48 PM
If he's suspended, maybe they can sign Chaz Bono....that dude can bring it.

http://beautygirlsmom.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/3e080815-chaz-bono-pcn-credit-496x600.jpg

bELIeve_in_Giants
06-11-2012, 02:06 PM
I doubt he'll be suspended, but he may miss a bit of training camp. His court date is set for 7/26

FBomb
06-11-2012, 02:29 PM

<DIV class="post_main_body plm">
<H3 class=author_name>Paul Schwartz (http://sulia.com/source/S-866671) </H3></DIV>
<UL class="vertical_list tiny_spacing">
<LI>Giants offensive lineman David Diehl was arrested Sunday night for driving while intoxicated after hitting two parked cars in Queens. Diehl was taken into custody and was being held at the 114th precinct. #nyg </LI>[/list]

</P>

https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR8DN27TAlWT9F7vzPu3kFdkU0M8vcX9 KEnf_pQT-s3VSy_cQpq</P>

Redeyejedi
06-11-2012, 02:58 PM
How about Gronk getting drunk and pouring alcohol filled beverages on woman at a childrens fund raiser

http://deadspin.com/5917369/?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

jppmvp90
06-11-2012, 03:01 PM
How about Gronk getting drunk and pouring alcohol filled beverages on woman at a childrens fund raiser

http://deadspin.com/5917369/?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&amp;utm_sour ce=deadspin_twitter&amp;utm_medium=socialflow

not sure how this relates to diehl, but obviously gronk is extremely immature and a pathetic human being

UmenYiourAnIdiot
06-11-2012, 03:11 PM
Oh CMON! You got all this damn money and can't pay for a cab.

Ya know these guys really REALLY make me scratch my head. I just don't get it.

bELIeve_in_Giants
06-11-2012, 03:25 PM
<h3 class="author_name">Ralph Vacchiano (http://sulia.com/source/S-46381)

</h3></div>

<ul class="vertical_list tiny_spacing"> A witness told @nydailynews that
David Diehl was found passed out at the wheel of his BMW. Police sources
added that he smelled of booze, had bloodshot eyes and slurred speech.
... Diehl faces a possible one-year jail sentence and a $1,000 fine if
he's convicted of drunk driving charges. #NYG

[/list]

jppmvp90
06-11-2012, 03:28 PM
<h3 class="author_name">Ralph Vacchiano (http://sulia.com/source/S-46381)

</h3></div>

<ul class="vertical_list tiny_spacing"> A witness told @nydailynews that
David Diehl was found passed out at the wheel of his BMW. Police sources
added that he smelled of booze, had bloodshot eyes and slurred speech.
... Diehl faces a possible one-year jail sentence and a $1,000 fine if
he's convicted of drunk driving charges. #NYG

[/list]

eh, he'll get a slap on the wrist, he made a poor judgement mistake, never mind he was clearly totally bombed while driving a weapon. lets all give him a pass cause hes a nice guy

slipknottin
06-11-2012, 03:53 PM
Whatever punishment he gets from the city is going to far exceed what he gets from the giants or nfl.

NFL does not suspend players for first time DUIs. Giants when McKenzie got a DUI did nothing.

That being said, NYC does not exactly have a history of giving giants players a free pass. If they want to make an example out of this they will.

RoanokeFan
06-11-2012, 03:57 PM
Whatever punishment he gets from the city is going to far exceed what he gets from the giants or nfl.

NFL does not suspend players for first time DUIs. Giants when McKenzie got a DUI did nothing.

That being said, NYC does not exactly have a history of giving giants players a free pass. If they want to make an example out of this they will.

That "history" being one case involving Plaxico?

slipknottin
06-11-2012, 03:59 PM

I dont know of any other recent cases of current Giants being arrested in NYC.

RoanokeFan
06-11-2012, 04:07 PM

I dont know of any other recent cases of current Giants being arrested in NYC.

Me either, so not much of a "history" I think. We all have to be held accountable for our actions. Diehl's BAL was 0.018 which is more than twice the legal limit of 0.08. In NYC, a BAL that high is considered "aggravated" and will likely require a more severe penalty than a lower BAL would. It's still a first offense and not very likely to result in a custodial sentence.

slipknottin
06-11-2012, 04:13 PM
Me either, so not much of a "history" I think.*

Well its enough of one to suggest that they can and are willing to go after and make examples of them. Not that they will, but they can.

* It's still a first offense and not very likely to result in a custodial sentence.

I would expect a fine. But again, if the city of NY wants to make an example of this...

RoanokeFan
06-11-2012, 04:31 PM
Me either, so not much of a "history" I think.

Well its enough of one to suggest that they can and are willing to go after and make examples of them. Not that they will, but they can.

It's still a first offense and not very likely to result in a custodial sentence.

I would expect a fine. But again, if the city of NY wants to make an example of this...

The fine is between $1,000 and $2,500 and a custodial sentence of up to one year is a possibility but, again, not probable. He would be wise to plead out.

sharick88
06-11-2012, 04:32 PM
First thing that happens when you drink is impaired judgement. There's a reason why that chick that normally is a 5 turns into an 8 or 9.

Drez
06-11-2012, 04:35 PM

It's still a first offense and not very likely to result in a custodial sentence.

Is there a major election this year?

sharick88
06-11-2012, 04:35 PM
Me either, so not much of a "history" I think.*

* It's still a first offense and not very likely to result in a custodial sentence.

The fine is between $1,00 and $2,500 and a custodial sentence of up to one year is a possibility but, again, not probable.* He would be wise to plead out.

He will most likely get a fine and some probation. I deal with applicants with prior dui's on a regular basis. In California, you get a fine, mandatory classes, and 3 years unsupervised probation to go along with it. I am sure this isn't Diehl's first time drinking and driving. It's just his first time getting caught. Let's hope that this is a wake up call for him and that he never does it again. People saying that Diehl is a poor teammate and a criminal need to get their heads examined

RoanokeFan
06-11-2012, 04:38 PM

What does that matter?

Drez
06-11-2012, 04:41 PM

What does that matter?

Politicians tend to do or not to do things that they believe will garner them votes during elections. If the DA or mayor is up for election it can influence how they want to proceed (in either their leniency or harshness).

RoanokeFan
06-11-2012, 04:57 PM

What does that matter?

Politicians tend to do or not to do things that they believe will garner them votes during elections. If the DA or mayor is up for election it can influence how they want to proceed (in either their leniency or harshness).

Why don't we just wait for this to play itself out?

Bigbluereckingcrew
06-11-2012, 07:47 PM
it's queens, sober people hit parked cars...not saying he wasn't wrong but damn, put away the nails and the crosses.

Drez
06-11-2012, 07:51 PM

What does that matter?

I will. I was just referring to the possibility of an election possibly influencing how they decide to prosecute this.

RoanokeFan
06-11-2012, 07:57 PM

What does that matter?

I will. I was just referring to the possibility of an election possibly influencing how they decide to prosecute this.

From a legal standpoint, this is not a difficult case from either perspective. The BAL is what it is. Unless there is some concern that the test administered was somehow flawed, Diehl needs to plead guilty at some appropriate point in time. The sooner this ends, the better.

Drez
06-11-2012, 08:00 PM

What does that matter?

From a legal standpoint, this is not a difficult case from either perspective. The BAL is what it is. Unless there is some concern that the test administered was somehow flawed, Diehl needs to plead guilty at some appropriate point in time. The sooner this ends, the better.

Agreed. The only leeway would be in sentencing, which as we are all well aware can be dictated by a politician with an axe to grind.