PDA

View Full Version : Patriots claim Ballard - We're in their heads, people.

GOBIGBLUE52
06-12-2012, 05:00 PM
Per Garafolo on twitter.

As the title says, I really think we're in their heads.

Cool Papa B.
06-12-2012, 05:03 PM
Hmmm....With Gronkowski & Hernandez on their team, why would they need Ballard???

chasjay
06-12-2012, 05:06 PM
Hmmm....With Gronkowski & Hernandez on their team, why would they need Ballard???

<font color="#FF0000">Based on what I've been reading on another thread, they probably think Ballard has some tape of the Giants' practices before last year's Super Bowl!</font>

Eli TO Shockey
06-12-2012, 05:06 PM
Hmmm....With Gronkowski &amp; Hernandez on their team, why would they need Ballard???

precisely .

DEgiants89
06-12-2012, 05:08 PM
I just read that...ughhhhh this makes me sad

Cool Papa B.
06-12-2012, 05:10 PM

<font color="#FF0000">Based on what I've been reading on another thread, they probably think Ballard has some tape of the Giants' practices before last year's Super Bowl!</font>

Are you serious?

RoanokeFan
06-12-2012, 05:11 PM
Hmmm....With Gronkowski &amp; Hernandez on their team, why would they need Ballard???

As the Eagles did with Steve Smith, IMO, better to have him in their camp than ours.

chasjay
06-12-2012, 05:11 PM

Are you serious?

nah - that's why I used the <font color="#FF0000">red <font color="#000000">font</font></font>

Cool Papa B.
06-12-2012, 05:12 PM
They're not even on the Giants reg. season schedule. Maybe Belichick is thinking if they meet in the Super Bowl again he will use Ballard as a spy.

Drez
06-12-2012, 05:12 PM

Are you serious?
No, the red font denotes sarcasm.

However, we'll see if the Pats actually keep him on their roster long enough to IR him or if he gets cut again.

Cool Papa B.
06-12-2012, 05:14 PM

Are you serious?

nah - that's why I used the <font color="#FF0000">red <font color="#000000">font</font></font>

Oh. LOL got it.

JesseJames
06-12-2012, 05:20 PM
the Patriots are just peeing on our legs for beating them again in the SB, I guess thats how they are going to pay us back for that, I'll take a little pee any day for a SB win..

NYGRealityCheck
06-12-2012, 05:25 PM
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2012/6/12/3081418/jake-ballard-patriots-giants-waiver-wire

"Ballard and the Giants were already both aware that the player would be out for the entire 2012 season due to an ACL injury he suffered in the Super Bowl. "

"It is unclear how the Patriots plan to slot Ballard into their depth chart, but they will have over a year to figure that out." lol

titwio
06-12-2012, 05:33 PM
IMO this is Bill Belichick saying I know what the Giants were trying to do and... I'm going to sweep the rug out from under them ....even if it's no immediate help to my team.

GMENAGAIN
06-12-2012, 05:41 PM
What a strange move.</P>

Hopefully it will work out as well as their Haynesworth and Ocho Cinco signings . . . . . </P>

miked1958
06-12-2012, 05:51 PM
Oh well. Thought for sure we would re claim him...

bleeding blue
06-12-2012, 05:58 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong...doesn't Ballard have on year left on his contract which he'll miss?

So basically, the Pats are going to pay him 540,000(his salary) this year while sitting on IR just to get first crack at him in the 2013 offseason?

They have 2 TE's so Ballard would be 3rd at best on the depth chart. They're not going to pay him more money as a 3rd stringer than other teams who could give him money as a 1st stringer...

I don't get this move not one bit.

jomo
06-12-2012, 06:03 PM
[:@]

egyptian420
06-12-2012, 06:04 PM
What a strange move.</p>

Hopefully it will work out as well as their Haynesworth and Ocho Cinco signings . . . . . </p>
I hope it works out that well for them.....not for Ballard's sake though

bELIeve_in_Giants
06-12-2012, 06:06 PM
Can't believe they are going to pay him $540,000 to not play when they have a ton of TEs on roster already.

Toadofsteel
06-12-2012, 06:06 PM
IMO this is Bill Belichick saying I know what the Giants were trying to do and... I'm going to sweep the rug out from under them ....even if it's no immediate help to my team.

It sounds like he's still a bit butthurt... but we've had a revolving door at TE for years now so I'm not terribly afraid. Next man up!

Also, now that frees up a little cap room for us as well if i'm not mistaken...

Axels15
06-12-2012, 06:23 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong...doesn't Ballard have on year left on his contract which he'll miss?

So basically, the Pats are going to pay him 540,000(his salary) this year while sitting on IR just to get first crack at him in the 2013 offseason?

They have 2 TE's so Ballard would be 3rd at best on the depth chart. They're not going to pay him more money as a 3rd stringer than other teams who could give him money as a 1st stringer...

I don't get this move not one bit.

Only crack, not first crack - Exclusive Rights

Toadofsteel
06-12-2012, 06:30 PM
Hmm I just saw a comment that said he's basially a backup plan in case the Pats don't have the cap space to sign both Gronk and Hernandez later on, given how 2TE sets have become integral to their offense. Seems fairly legit, but I don't think the Giants are going to skip a beat over this. With the wideouts we have we could run 4 WR sets all day if we had to.

jjj45
06-12-2012, 06:35 PM
I think its safe to say that Eli has been making these TE's as good as they are over the past few years.

That and Reese and company's ability to pick up quality players.

I'm excited to see how the future at TE will be with our FO and Eli at the helm.

giantsfan420
06-12-2012, 06:37 PM
i guess bb got a first hand look at the kid enough. ballard was huge in that win during the reg season over NE, and he did make a bunch of great catches...

but i cant see how this makes sense...at all. unless they know they wont be able to resign hernadez next season...hmm, thats prob what it will be with that contract they gave to gronks...

well who knows maybe we do a swap and next season we get hernadez...thatd be fine by me

EJ Blue
06-12-2012, 06:45 PM
Gronkowski isn't practicing because of his surgery, and Hernandez isn't a true TE, and isn't practicing because of injury in practice. They technically have no TEs right now so they picked up Bo Scaife couple days ago and he was out of shape. So they now have signed Ballard so they can have a TE on their roster to practice with.

Ballard probably won't even make the roster. (I'm unaware of his physical condition, I'm assuming he's recovering too so I don't see the point.)

bELIeve_in_Giants
06-12-2012, 06:46 PM
Gronkowski isn't practicing because of his surgery, and Hernandez isn't a true TE, and isn't practicing because of injury in practice. They technically have no TEs right now so hey picked up Bo Scaife couple days ago and he was out of shape. So they now have signed Ballard so they can have a TE on their roster to practice with.

Ballard probably won't even make the roster.

I don't think he can practice. He's planning on missing the entire season.

jomo
06-12-2012, 06:47 PM
I think its safe to say that Eli has been making these TE's as good as they are over the past few years.

I'm excited to see how the future at TE will be with our FO and Eli at the helm.
..........and with coach Pope coaching them up.

EJ Blue
06-12-2012, 06:48 PM
Gronkowski isn't practicing because of his surgery, and Hernandez isn't a true TE, and isn't practicing because of injury in practice. They technically have no TEs right now so hey picked up Bo Scaife couple days ago and he was out of shape. So they now have signed Ballard so they can have a TE on their roster to practice with.

Ballard probably won't even make the roster.

I don't think he can practice. He's planning on missing the entire season.
Yeah I forgot about that and just edited my post.

In that case, I really don't see the point of picking up a hurt guy, when all their other TEs are currently hurt.

BlueBlitzer
06-12-2012, 06:51 PM
The Patsies are investing a million dollars and 2 years for a player who cannot even play this year. I can't imagine JR doing something like that. ( I mean a player on your roster already, is different than pursuing " Damaged Goods " with no hope of return until 2013 )

jjj45
06-12-2012, 06:52 PM

..........and with coach Pope coaching them up.Of course Pope as well. Adrien Robinson looks really promising.

jomo
06-12-2012, 06:53 PM
The Patsies are investing a million dollars and 2 years for a player who cannot even play this year. I can't imagine JR doing something like that. ( I mean a player on your roster already, is different than pursuing " Damaged Goods " with no hope of return until 2013 )All Giants fans will love Ballard forever, but................you are absolutely right.

Drez
06-12-2012, 07:04 PM
Gronkowski isn't practicing because of his surgery, and Hernandez isn't a true TE, and isn't practicing because of injury in practice. They technically have no TEs right now so they picked up Bo Scaife couple days ago and he was out of shape. So they now have signed Ballard so they can have a TE on their roster to practice with.

Ballard probably won't even make the roster. (I'm unaware of his physical condition, I'm assuming he's recovering too so I don't see the point.)

He failed his physical here. If he was even close to coming back to practice we wouldn't have waived him. He probably won't be ready for football until the earliest midseason, and likely not at all this year.

BlueBlitzer
06-12-2012, 07:16 PM
The Patsies are investing a million dollars and 2 years for a player who cannot even play this year. I can't imagine JR doing something like that. ( I mean a player on your roster already, is different than pursuing " Damaged Goods " with no hope of return until 2013 )All Giants fans will love Ballard forever, but................you are absolutely right.

We all will miss Jake. ( Maybe in 2013 we might see ESPN highlights of Jake Burning the Jets )

GameTime
06-12-2012, 07:55 PM
What a strange move.</P>

Hopefully it will work out as well as their Haynesworth and Ocho Cinco signings . . . . . </P>

</P>

nah....Ballard has character those two you mentioned are jokers. I hope Ballard comes back from injury and kicks ***.....</P>

Breezely
06-12-2012, 08:58 PM
Ballard is a good TE, I wish him the best but . . . . .he does not fit with the PATS. Maybe, a very expensive practice player? I don't get it.

MikeIsaGiant
06-12-2012, 08:59 PM
Don't understand this move at all still.... just doesn't make sense

SweetZombieJesus
06-12-2012, 09:03 PM

Revenge for us grabbing Herzlich, perhaps? Word is the Pats wanted him bad.

NorwoodBlue
06-12-2012, 09:16 PM
Jake has some of the softest hands I've ever seen, and he's a run blocker too. I loved the guy, and hope he plays again next year; but this move on the part of the Pats just boggles the mind. His speed was always an issue, and going off a major ACL injury, he probably won't even be fully recovered in time for the 2013 season. If he loses some of the speed he did have, he'll be very ineffective as a receiver.

derekunion28
06-12-2012, 09:16 PM
VERY VERY ODD BUTT what they paid gronk, knowing ballards heart... they wont be able to keep hernadez

Drez
06-12-2012, 09:18 PM

Revenge for us grabbing Herzlich, perhaps? Word is the Pats wanted him bad.

I thought only us and Baltimore offered him a contract... Or rather that his decision was between us and Baltimore.

Drez
06-12-2012, 09:19 PM
Jake has some of the softest hands I've ever seen, and he's a run blocker too. I loved the guy, and hope he plays again next year; but this move on the part of the Pats just boggles the mind. His speed was always an issue, and going off a major ACL injury, he probably won't even be fully recovered in time for the 2013 season. If he loses some of the speed he did have, he'll be very ineffective as a receiver.

It's not even the ACL that's the issue here, it's the microfracture surgery that he's had, too.

redbeardxxv
06-12-2012, 09:43 PM
It's not about the player for BB, it's about being a D***. He did it to stop the GIANTS from quietly storing Ballard away for the year. He did it out of spite. We beat him twice in the SB, and he's holding that. It's consuming him. This was just a childish act. I hope the best for Ballard, but now I'm really developing a dislike for BB.

Toadofsteel
06-12-2012, 09:49 PM
It's not about the player for BB, it's about being a D***. He did it to stop the GIANTS from quietly storing Ballard away for the year. He did it out of spite. We beat him twice in the SB, and he's holding that. It's consuming him. This was just a childish act. I hope the best for Ballard, but now I'm really developing a dislike for BB.

Well, BB has been known as a great coach who probably should just be a coach due to some of his boneheaded GM endeavors...

gmen0820
06-12-2012, 10:05 PM
It's one of the unspoken rules of the NFL. I'm sure the Patriots have taken a rep hit in some league circles because of this.

Roosevelt
06-12-2012, 10:21 PM
Someone needs to let BB know the problems with his team is not at TE.

giantsfan420
06-12-2012, 10:35 PM

i think it may be he realizes one of his few, if only problem is the New York Football Giants.

Maybe he thinks his whole "make MM and Pascoh(his pronunciation) beat us" would work if it wasnt MM and he didnt want to take the chance of Ballard replacing Pascoe bc Ballard did pretty much beat him and his defense. (it was him and eli that final drive reg. season)

if we were to meet this year, itd be the SB. and Ballard could be healthy around then I'm guessing and he is so confident his team can get there, beat anyone...that is for the Giants. And he's trying whatever it takes to make sure its not 3 SB's...

giantsfan420
06-12-2012, 10:38 PM

i think it may be he realizes one of his few, if only problem is the New York Football Giants.

Maybe he thinks his whole "make MM and Pascoh(his pronunciation) beat us" would work if it wasnt MM and he didnt want to take the chance of Ballard replacing Pascoe bc Ballard did pretty much beat him and his defense. (it was him and eli that final drive reg. season)

if we were to meet this year, itd be the SB. and Ballard could be healthy around then I'm guessing and he is so confident his team can get there, beat anyone...that is for the Giants. And he's trying whatever it takes to make sure its not 3 SB's...

of course I'm somewhat kidding.

I think its just JR does an excellent job of building his roster and other teams know this. Ballard was like the bottom of the barrel depth we had and he still turned out boss. no pun intended. The Giants releasing one of the players that contributed alot is like announcing an everything must go sale from youe local grass dealer, everyone in the know is gonna be all over that.

FIFTY6G-MAN
06-12-2012, 10:44 PM
It's not about the player for BB, it's about being a D***. He did it to stop the GIANTS from quietly storing Ballard away for the year. He did it out of spite. We beat him twice in the SB, and he's holding that. It's consuming him. This was just a childish act. I hope the best for Ballard, but now I'm really developing a dislike for BB.^THIS plus the fact we are not a TE type team, we have had some awesome TE's and they have retired,injured or left and we have played next man up at thisarticular position for a number of years. I also would not doubt that he pumps Jake for info on our offense even though we dont have a reg season game against them. BB always likes to "CHEAT" within the rules and this is just another way. He might even pass the info onto some other AFC teams we play hoping to insure we dont make it and beat themin the SB yet AGAIN!!!! DOH!I loved Ballard and will miss him very much.

Pierre-Paul
06-12-2012, 10:58 PM
I think The Patriots keep Ballard unless they somehow keep Gronk and Hernandez (and keep both healthy) for 2013. In that case, they let Ballard flash in the preseason and then trade for some draft picks. Not that bad a move really. They are on the hook for a relatively small contract for a player who started all year for us. The Patriots are the epitome of a team looking long term. Also, I think BB is just a little pissed that he lost to us and thinks this will bug us a little.

miked1958
06-12-2012, 11:05 PM
I don't think it will bug us at all. I think we all know that we will emerge with 2-3 new stars at TE this season just like we always do when we let solid players go

FIFTY6G-MAN
06-12-2012, 11:08 PM
I think The Patriots keep Ballard unless they somehow keep Gronk and Hernandez (and keep both healthy) for 2013. In that case, they let Ballard flash in the preseason and then trade for some draft picks. Not that bad a move really. They are on the hook for a relatively small contract for a player who started all year for us. The Patriots are the epitome of a team looking long term. Also, I think BB is just a little pissed that he lost to us and thinks this will bug us a little.Pick your poison, is it they want Ballard long term or did they have a little piss and vinegar game?Jake wont be ready this upcoming season of NFL so I am not sure of BB's move.

TuckYou
06-12-2012, 11:27 PM
So, what are they paying him in 2013? Enough to be a camera man spying?

TuckYou
06-12-2012, 11:29 PM
I see this like the Steve smith signing the eagles did. Means nothing really.

zimonami
06-12-2012, 11:50 PM
This is how the move struck me... like a petulent little boy. If I can't beat you I'll kick you in the knee... I'll be annoying and I'm taking my bat and going home.
The Giants have taken a lot of luster off of BB's and the Pat's rep. If it weren't for us Bill would be King. Just a poorly thought out over-reaction. I feel sorry for Jake as he'll be a total outsider in their locker room, as most injured guys are. But, there will be no familiar faces for him. Then again, he might never even see the locker room in 2012.

giantsfan420
06-12-2012, 11:53 PM
This is how the move struck me... like a petulent little boy. If I can't beat you I'll kick you in the knee... I'll be annoying and I'm taking my bat and going home.
The Giants have taken a lot of luster off of BB's and the Pat's rep. If it weren't for us Bill would be King. Just a poorly thought out over-reaction. I feel sorry for Jake as he'll be a total outsider in their locker room, as most injured guys are. But, their will be no familiar faces for him.

you know thats an intersting aspect zimonami...

hes coming from the team that just beat them in the sb what 4 months ago? to a team they've lost 2 sbs too and a home game that snapped a couple prolific records.

and this last sb meant a ton to that ne team bc of the myra kraft aspect. theres no way that entire team is over the loss already...and now they gotta welcome, and some of their jobs will be on the line, for a player from that team...

i can guarantee u we're not the only ones confused by this, theres a lockerroom somewhere in NE Patriots land with a bunch of guys just as confused.

Cool Papa B.
06-13-2012, 12:13 AM
I see this like the Steve smith signing the eagles did. Means nothing really.

I can understand your point (a little bit) if we were playing them this season. But we're not! Unless if we meet them in the Super Bowl. This looks like such a spiteful move

LOL LOL those last 2 SB losses must really be eating at him. I honestly think he has a lot of sleepless nights because of that. Hey Bill, instead of taking a player from a team you hate just to piss them off and use as a spy, get some therapy instead. Or join a support group. Or get a dog.

Flip Empty
06-13-2012, 02:05 AM
Good - sneaky - move, imo. Mess with your enemy's plans.

DownWitJPP
06-13-2012, 02:28 AM
how does this work exactly? he is on the Pats for the 2012 season but what about 2013?

I'm mad as !@@#$R%^&* right now, I liked Ballard alot. Not the fastest TE in the league but the dude is always open and makes tough catches

Roswell777
06-13-2012, 03:01 AM
I don't think this is a spiteful move at all.

Pats know he's not going to play this year, BB was obviously very impressed with him last year, BB feels that the Pats lost the SB because they didn't have an effective third TE to fill in for Gronk when he got the high ankle sprain and Ballard dropped in their lap for 2013....

I see it as a small gamble for effective depth.

redbeardxxv
06-13-2012, 03:05 AM
Actually, he's on the Pats IR or PUP for now, but will be able to be signed next year at whatever the Pats offer..... it could be a good move for the Pats, but Ballard was slow to start with, add an ACL to that, and he may not be ready for 2 years, and speed is EVERYTHING for a pass catching TE. This move was spite, mixed with a little "wait and see". BB let his ego get in the way of his Football.

miked1958
06-13-2012, 04:30 AM
how does this work exactly? he is on the Pats for the 2012 season but what about 2013?

I'm mad as !@@#$R%^&* right now, I liked Ballard alot. Not the fastest TE in the league but the dude is always open and makes tough catchesYep like the one he made during the regular season game over the middle on game winning drive when he went up really high to get it. It was compared to the tyree catch. Then he got the game winner in corner of endzone to end those streaks of no back to backed losses and Brady's 20 game streak

GMENAGAIN
06-13-2012, 06:20 AM
</P>

I loved Ballard, but he was not a good blocker . . . . </P>

Medisleman
06-13-2012, 07:11 AM
This is total desperation. Belichick hates losing and he is simply trying to save face by "screwing" Coughlin out of Ballard. It is killing Belichick to have lost to Coughlin twice and watching him at the White House, winning awards from the Military, etc.

I think Belichick's prime is passed, and we will see is slow progressive decline know in the next few years. Brady is getting older and will slowly deteriorate and Belichick is slowly losing his grip on the title of "best coach in the NFL" that he has become desperate to hold on to.

OX1
06-13-2012, 07:52 AM
This is total desperation. Belichick hates losing and he is simply trying to save face by "screwing" Coughlin out of Ballard. It is killing Belichick to have lost to Coughlin twice and watching him at the White House, winning awards from the Military, etc.

I think Belichick's prime is passed, and we will see is slow progressive decline know in the next few years. Brady is getting older and will slowly deteriorate and Belichick is slowly losing his grip on the title of "best coach in the NFL" that he has become desperate to hold on to.
</P>

I agree, hope he makes a lot more of these dumb moves. Will be one less good team possibly in our way for another SB.</P>

</P>

jomo
06-13-2012, 07:53 AM
Good - sneaky - move, imo. Mess with your enemy's plans.What plans?

hungrrrry
06-13-2012, 08:08 AM
Ballard was a good TE for us for the short period of time we had him but he was not the key component. He wouldnt be playing this season so it doesnt hurt us to lose him to the Patriots who will also not benefit from having him this season...kinda dumb on their part to actually claim him....this move does not bother me in the least!

patsrule666
06-13-2012, 08:18 AM
I don't think this is a spiteful move at all.

Pats know he's not going to play this year, BB was obviously very impressed with him last year, BB feels that the Pats lost the SB because they didn't have an effective third TE to fill in for Gronk when he got the high ankle sprain and Ballard dropped in their lap for 2013....

I see it as a small gamble for effective depth.And just as i was starting to think that eveyone here had thier blinders on, alongcomes a voice of reason...We have always carried three tight ends on the roster. After the money we just gave Gronk, we need to explore all our options at the other two spots with the future cap in mind. BB is always looking a year or two ahead when it comes to team building. This could be a great pick up for the future if he can return somewhat to form. There is no denying his talent...

Redeyejedi
06-13-2012, 08:32 AM
Saw an article that thinks the Pats are going to have 4 TE sets. Using TE's instead of WR's and be able to have a heavy package with athletes still on the field that can run. More likely is that Ballards salary is that of a 3rd TE and he has proven to be far better then that. The Pats will probably pay him a little over a 1 million total even if he only plays in 2012 2013. My "?" for the Giants is, Is that 90th roster spot really that important to lose a quality a player like Ballard at that price?

TuckYou
06-13-2012, 08:41 AM
I see this like the Steve smith signing the eagles did. Means nothing really. I can understand your point (a little bit) if we were playing them this season. But we're not! Unless if we meet them in the Super Bowl. This looks like such a spiteful move LOL LOL those last 2 SB losses must really be eating at him. I honestly think he has a lot of sleepless nights because of that. Hey Bill, instead of taking a player from a team you hate just to piss them off and use as a spy, get some therapy instead. Or join a support group. Or get a dog.</P>

Exactly what Im saying. Eagles signed Steve Smith to "get us", not really play. They knew he wasnt going to be 100% last season. They did it to piss us off. The Pats are doing the same thing. Boston teams are all the same. Classless ******s just like most their fans. Jake will sign back with the Giants. He loves the team. Giants will except him back with open arms too once he is healed. </P>

lamas
06-13-2012, 08:44 AM
First of all, I believe this is a typical BB move. Virtually zero risk to the Patriots org. Also it keeps Ballard off of our roster, and who knows, in 2013 he may be able to return to form and produce for the Pats.

What I don't understand is why we had to cut him before placing him on IR? Is it because it was still the off season?

GMENAGAIN
06-13-2012, 09:13 AM
First of all, I believe this is a typical BB move. Virtually zero risk to the Patriots org. Also it keeps Ballard off of our roster, and who knows, in 2013 he may be able to return to form and produce for the Pats.

What I don't understand is why we had to cut him before placing him on IR? Is it because it was still the off season?
</P>

If the goal of the move was to keep Ballard off the 2013 roster of a team that is not even in your conference, that is just dumb, and Belicheck is not dumb. </P>

bigjeep
06-13-2012, 09:16 AM

Sour grapes!

G-ManSB42
06-13-2012, 09:56 AM
Hmm I just saw a comment that said he's basially a backup plan in case the Pats don't have the cap space to sign both Gronk and Hernandez later on, given how 2TE sets have become integral to their offense. Seems fairly legit, but I don't think the Giants are going to skip a beat over this. With the wideouts we have we could run 4 WR sets all day if we had to.You talk as if he doesn't have a torn ACL he wasn't going to play this year anyway. We are not doing 4 WR sets 'cause of this we already plan for him not being here.

G-ManSB42
06-13-2012, 10:04 AM
I see this like the Steve smith signing the eagles did. Means nothing really. I can understand your point (a little bit) if we were playing them this season. But we're not! Unless if we meet them in the Super Bowl. This looks like such a spiteful move LOL LOL those last 2 SB losses must really be eating at him. I honestly think he has a lot of sleepless nights because of that. Hey Bill, instead of taking a player from a team you hate just to piss them off and use as a spy, get some therapy instead. Or join a support group. Or get a dog.</P>

Exactly what Im saying. Eagles signed Steve Smith to "get us", not really play. They knew he wasnt going to be 100% last season. They did it to piss us off. The Pats are doing the same thing. Boston teams are all the same. Classless ******s just like most their fans. Jake will sign back with the Giants. He loves the team. Giants will except him back with open arms too once he is healed. </P>

</P>

Yea we will accept him with open arms just like Steve Smith and KevinBoss. History has shown Giants don't play that s*&amp;*</P>

GMENAGAIN
06-13-2012, 10:14 AM

</P>

Yea we will accept him with open arms just like Steve Smith and KevinBoss. History has shown Giants don't play that s*&amp;*</P>

</P>

Eh, Smith and Boss left on their own . . . . Ballardhad no choice but to leave the Giants after he was claimed off of waivers.</P>

Ballard'sdeparture bears no resemblance whatsoever to the Smith/Boss departures . . . . . . </P>

nycisgreat
06-13-2012, 10:15 AM

Lol

nycisgreat
06-13-2012, 10:15 AM

Lol

RagTime Blue
06-13-2012, 10:49 AM
They're not even on the Giants reg. season schedule. Maybe Belichick is thinking if they meet in the Super Bowl again he will use Ballard as a spy.

Is he good with a camera?

G-ManSB42
06-13-2012, 10:53 AM

</P>

</P>

Eh, Smith and Boss left on their own . . . . Ballardhad no choice but to leave the Giants after he was claimed off of waivers.</P>

Ballard'sdeparture bears no resemblance whatsoever to the Smith/Boss departures . . . . . . </P>

</P>

Well it will have the same result he will never be a Giant again. Ballard did have a choice you always have a choice and he made his. We got a lot of TEs on the roster and Ballard wasn't that big of a deal. He won't be back.</P>

GOBIGBLUE52
06-13-2012, 11:13 AM
I see this like the Steve smith signing the eagles did. Means nothing really. I can understand your point (a little bit) if we were playing them this season. But we're not! Unless if we meet them in the Super Bowl. This looks like such a spiteful move LOL LOL those last 2 SB losses must really be eating at him. I honestly think he has a lot of sleepless nights because of that. Hey Bill, instead of taking a player from a team you hate just to piss them off and use as a spy, get some therapy instead. Or join a support group. Or get a dog.</p>

Exactly what Im saying. Eagles signed Steve Smith to "get us", not really play. They knew he wasnt going to be 100% last season. They did it to piss us off. The Pats are doing the same thing. Boston teams are all the same. Classless ******s just like most their fans. Jake will sign back with the Giants. He loves the team. Giants will except him back with open arms too once he is healed. </p>

</p>

Yea we will accept him with open arms just like Steve Smith and KevinBoss. History has shown Giants don't play that s*&amp;*</p>

</p>

Eh, Smith and Boss left on their own . . . . Ballardhad no choice but to leave the Giants after he was claimed off of waivers.</p>

Ballard'sdeparture bears no resemblance whatsoever to the Smith/Boss departures . . . . . . </p>

</p>

Well it will have the same result he will never be a Giant again. Ballard did have a choice you always have a choice and he made his. We got a lot of TEs on the roster and Ballard wasn't that big of a deal. He won't be back.</p>

How did Ballard have a choice here? You make absolutely no sense. Unless you're saying it was his choice to tear his ACL in the super bowl?

If you're waived by your team and another team claims you, you're required to report to them.

Toadofsteel
06-13-2012, 11:14 AM
Hmm I just saw a comment that said he's basially a backup plan in case the Pats don't have the cap space to sign both Gronk and Hernandez later on, given how 2TE sets have become integral to their offense. Seems fairly legit, but I don't think the Giants are going to skip a beat over this. With the wideouts we have we could run 4 WR sets all day if we had to.You talk as if he doesn't have a torn ACL he wasn't going to play this year anyway. We are not doing 4 WR sets 'cause of this we already plan for him not being here.

I know he wasn't going to produce for us in 2012 with his injury. I'm just saying that for a while now our TE's have been used more for blocking than receiving. Every season since Shockey left, the top 3 yardage receivers on our team have always been wideouts (Plax, Toomer, Smith, Manningham, Nicks, and Cruz). One year Bradshaw got more receiving yards than Boss.

As for the pats, Hernandez is on contract until the end of the 2012 season, whereupon he becomes a free agent. If the Pats can't keep both Gronk and Hernandez (w hich is possible given the whopper that Gronk just got), Ballard would be a good alternative in their offense once he heals up. I guess I just can't see Belicheck as being, well, that petty...

Redeyejedi
06-13-2012, 12:14 PM
Ralph Vacchiano ?@TheBlueScreen
Tom Coughlin on why the #NYG didn't keep Jake Ballard on the 90-man roster: "Donít ask me those questions. I donít have the answers for you"

Someone should ask Jerry Reese. I asked the same "?" this morning. Unless u think Ballards knee is done it would seem the choice between a starting TE or camp fodder isnt much of a choice,

Flip Empty
06-13-2012, 12:22 PM

I know he wasn't going to produce for us in 2012 with his injury. I'm just saying that for a while now our TE's have been used more for blocking than receiving. Every season since Shockey left, the top 3 yardage receivers on our team have always been wideouts (Plax, Toomer, Smith, Manningham, Nicks, and Cruz). One year Bradshaw got more receiving yards than Boss.

As for the pats, Hernandez is on contract until the end of the 2012 season, whereupon he becomes a free agent. If the Pats can't keep both Gronk and Hernandez (w hich is possible given the whopper that Gronk just got), Ballard would be a good alternative in their offense once he heals up. I guess I just can't see Belicheck as being, well, that petty...
Coaches don't sign the players. Maybe a higher up has a grudge.

Either way, it's a good move for them. They've stashed a quality player at minimal cost.

BlueBlooded1979
06-13-2012, 12:23 PM
The Pats can hold him until camp then IR him and control his rights through 2013. We could have done the same thing but Reese thought he could sneak him through waivers and save a roster spot.

Reeses gamble failed and though it has no bearing on the 2012 season it was a silly risk to add on extra roster spot until camp.

Hernandez contract runs through 2013 not 2012. He was drafted in 2010 and wouldn't be eligible for UFA until 2014.

Bellichik essentially spent 540k and a roster spot for 5 weeks to acquire a TE that produced 600+ yards in his first season starting. It is a smart football move and typical BB thinking two years ahead.

Redeyejedi
06-13-2012, 12:26 PM
The Pats can hold him until camp then IR him and control his rights through 2013. We could have done the same thing but Reese thought he could sneak him through waivers and save a roster spot.

Reeses gamble failed and though it has no bearing on the 2012 season it was a silly risk to add on extra roster spot until camp.

Hernandez contract runs through 2013 not 2012. He was drafted in 2010 and wouldn't be eligible for UFA until 2014.

Bellichik essentially spent 540k and a roster spot for 5 weeks to acquire a TE that produced 600+ yards in his first season starting. It is a smart football move and typical BB thinking two years ahead.They control his rights till 2015.He is an exclusive rights FA.The Pats only have to offer him a 3 year vet min deal and he has 2 take it

burier
06-13-2012, 12:36 PM
Without reading through the entire thread I'll just ask.

Has anyone considered that Ballard has proven to be productive player who could fill in if either of the PATs TEs go down.

I'm pretty sure Ballard would have come down with the Hail marry.

GMENAGAIN
06-13-2012, 12:41 PM

</P>

</P>

</P>

Well it will have the same result he will never be a Giant again. <FONT size=4>Ballard did have a choice you always have a choice and he made his. </FONT>We got a lot of TEs on the roster and Ballard wasn't that big of a deal. He won't be back.</P>

</P>

[:O]</P>

GMENAGAIN
06-13-2012, 12:42 PM
Without reading through the entire thread I'll just ask. Has anyone considered that Ballard has proven to be productive player who could fill in if either of the PATs TEs go down. <FONT size=4>I'm pretty sure Ballard would have come down with the Hail marry</FONT>.</P>

Eh, ok . . . . .</P>

Lambeau12
06-13-2012, 12:46 PM
That must sting getting beat in the super bowl twice by the same team.

Redeyejedi
06-13-2012, 12:47 PM
I see this like the Steve smith signing the eagles did. Means nothing really. I can understand your point (a little bit) if we were playing them this season. But we're not! Unless if we meet them in the Super Bowl. This looks like such a spiteful move LOL LOL those last 2 SB losses must really be eating at him. I honestly think he has a lot of sleepless nights because of that. Hey Bill, instead of taking a player from a team you hate just to piss them off and use as a spy, get some therapy instead. Or join a support group. Or get a dog.</p>

Exactly what Im saying. Eagles signed Steve Smith to "get us", not really play. They knew he wasnt going to be 100% last season. They did it to piss us off. The Pats are doing the same thing. Boston teams are all the same. Classless ******s just like most their fans. Jake will sign back with the Giants. He loves the team. Giants will except him back with open arms too once he is healed. </p>

</p>

Yea we will accept him with open arms just like Steve Smith and Kevin*Boss. History has shown Giants don't play that s*&*</p>

</p>

Eh, Smith and Boss left on their own . . . . Ballard*had no choice but to leave the Giants after he was claimed off of waivers.</p>

Ballard's*departure bears no resemblance whatsoever to the Smith/Boss departures . . . . . . </p>

</p>

Well it will have the same result he will never be a Giant again. Ballard did have a choice you always have a choice and he made his. We got a lot of TEs on the roster and Ballard wasn't that big of a deal. He won't be back.</p>

How did Ballard have a choice here? You make absolutely no sense. Unless you're saying it was his choice to tear his ACL in the super bowl?

If you're waived by your team and another team claims you, you're required to report to them.
He could retire, LOL. Maybe the poster thinks Ballard should end his career because he cant play for the Giants

Redeyejedi
06-13-2012, 12:47 PM

</p>

Yea we will accept him with open arms just like Steve Smith and Kevin*Boss. History has shown Giants don't play that s*&*</p>

</p>

Eh, Smith and Boss left on their own . . . . Ballard*had no choice but to leave the Giants after he was claimed off of waivers.</p>

Ballard's*departure bears no resemblance whatsoever to the Smith/Boss departures . . . . . . </p>

</p>

He could retire, LOL. Maybe the poster thinks Ballard should end his career because he cant play for the Giants

barran21
06-13-2012, 02:05 PM
I will say this, was the 90th roster spot so important Reese? sheeeesh you better hit one out the park with another Cruz Reese..

nygsb42champs
06-13-2012, 02:13 PM
JR screwed that one up. They tried to sneek him through waivers. He deserved to be kept around on IR this year for what he did for us last year.

KennyPhillips21
06-13-2012, 02:19 PM
ya you think we could just eat 500K for one year for the upside that he brings to the team, im so pissed at the FO right now

buddy33
06-13-2012, 02:40 PM
What did Reese do wrong? Ballard will not play this year and he may not be at full strength next year. It took KP a full 2 years to get back to speed.

DVision
06-13-2012, 02:41 PM
The Giants have plenty of time to develop or pick up another tight end before next season. Players will be cut from other teams and if not there's always next years draft.

Coughlin was upset at the loss of Boss and Smith last season also. It worked out on short notice.

In this instance they have plenty of time! I liked Ballard, but to think he's irreplaceable is crazy talk. We have other TE's with potential on the roster. That's all Ballard was prior to last season.

FIFTY6G-MAN
06-13-2012, 02:49 PM
What did Reese do wrong? Ballard will not play this year and he may not be at full strength next year. It took KP a full 2 years to get back to speed.We could have done the same thing we did with Cruz, we IR'd him and look what he did for us the next season!!! Reese did screw this up by not atleast giving Ballard time to rehab and then make an informed decision.

buddy33
06-13-2012, 02:57 PM
He just had micro fracture surgery about 2 months ago. He didn't pass a physical and he probably won't be righ unil sometime next year maybe.

What they did with Cruz was different. They saw a great talent and did what needed to be done to keep him. Can't really compair them.

Oh, and Reese is he one that found and kept Ballard from last year. I guess he knows what he is doing.

zimonami
06-13-2012, 03:37 PM
Without reading through the entire thread I'll just ask.

Has anyone considered that Ballard has proven to be productive player who could fill in if either of the PATs TEs go down.

I'm pretty sure Ballard would have come down with the Hail marry.
Yes, he can fill in for either Pat's TE... in 2013. He's not going to play this year because of his ACL.
If BB wants to prospect on him for 2013, he knows what he's getting... maybe a half step slower... but a solid, serviceable TE... a typical JR kind of guy.
Perhaps both Bennett and Robinson will work out... then, do we need Ballard in 2013?

giantsforce
06-13-2012, 03:48 PM
JR screwed that one up. They tried to sneek him through waivers. He deserved to be kept around on IR this year for what he did for us last year.What? Reese did something wrong? NOOOOOOOO! <FONT color=#ff0000>No need to worry, after all we do have Beckum.</FONT>

JJC7301
06-13-2012, 04:02 PM
I was shocked and disappointed to find out about Ballard being claimed. It would have been worth the $500,000+ to keep him around for 1 more year to see what he'd be like next year.

He had an awesome year for us last year.

UK-Giantsfan
06-13-2012, 04:06 PM
whilst losing Jake is annoying ...lets face it ...he wasnt that great ...his leg is f8888d ...we waived him ...and thats just business in the NFL !

giantsfan420
06-13-2012, 04:13 PM
maybe ballad reminds bb of bavaro

Simmsy
06-13-2012, 04:28 PM
I don't think it was a spiteful move; it was a smart move for the Patriots and the Giants were unwise to put a player on waivers that they really wanted to keep. We couldn't find one other guy out of 90 to waive instead?

All this talk about "unwritten rules" is bullcrap. If you waive a player, you have no right to complain when someone else claims him.

Simmsy
06-13-2012, 04:31 PM
First of all, I believe this is a typical BB move.* Virtually zero risk to the Patriots org.* Also it keeps Ballard off of our roster, and who knows, in 2013 he may be able to return to form and produce for the Pats.

What I don't understand is why we had to cut him before placing him on IR?* Is it because it was still the off season?
We didn't have to cut him to place him on IR, but the decision was made to cut him to get him off the 90 man roster and then put him on IR.

I guarantee you that, if given a 2nd chance, the Giants brass wouldn't do the same thing again. There's probably about 25 men on that 90-man roster they'd rather lose in a heartbeat.

Let's face it, within about 10 weeks about 40% of those 90 men are going to be gone anyway so no one would have lost any sleep if they let 1 of them go a little early to keep Ballard.

Simmsy
06-13-2012, 04:33 PM

This is correct. Other than actually retiring, Ballard had no choice in the matter.

I think some people are getting it confused with restricted free agency, which is a situation where a player would not have to accept a deal some other team offered him.

06-13-2012, 04:56 PM
does that mean the patsies have to pay him 500,000?

Simmsy
06-13-2012, 04:58 PM
does that mean the patsies have to pay him 500,000?The Patriots essentially inherit his current contract which, yes, I believe has a salary of about $540,000 this year.

appodictic
06-14-2012, 11:17 PM
Lets grab ochostinko as payback!

zimonami
06-15-2012, 12:42 AM
Lets grab ochostinko as payback!

lol... finally, the definitve answer to the problem.

JesseJames
06-15-2012, 05:29 PM
whether or not Belichek did this move with Ballard to help his team or not does anybody think he didn't know it would piss off the Giants. I know there is no sentiment in business but this adds to Belicheks legacy for being disliked...

Habu
06-16-2012, 06:21 PM
Pats have Hernandez contract coming up next year. Ballard gives them leverage and depth. Could be an excellent move for the future.

It's also similar to getting Welker from Miami altho that was a trade. If you have a player constantly beating you, it's better to have him on your team than the enemy's team.

I understand the anger by Giant fans, but there is no unwritten rule about claiming players off waivers. The Patriots are in great shape capwise and it is a good move by the Pats to potentially help their team in the future. It's a small price to play for a player that has soft hands like Ballard.

Get over it and move on. Like the fans here said, Gints have plenty of good TE's.

JJC7301
06-17-2012, 12:28 AM
Pats have Hernandez contract coming up next year. Ballard gives them leverage and depth. Could be an excellent move for the future.

It's also similar to getting Welker from Miami altho that was a trade. If you have a player constantly beating you, it's better to have him on your team than the enemy's team.

I understand the anger by Giant fans, but there is no unwritten rule about claiming players off waivers. The Patriots are in great shape capwise and it is a good move by the Pats to potentially help their team in the future. It's a small price to play for a player that has soft hands like Ballard.

Get over it and move on. Like the fans here said, Gints have plenty of good TE's.
What good TE's do the Giants have? Ballard was the only proven one.

gian_18778
06-17-2012, 11:39 AM
Superbowl loss and the fallout thereafter, still fresh in the mind of Brady, lol.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d829e43b1/article/tom-brady-asked-gisele-why-did-you-say-that-?module=HP11_content_stream

^^Can someone link please..

Thanks.