PDA

View Full Version : Jake Ballard was a lot better than his stats show

AllTuckedUp
06-13-2012, 06:50 PM
Time and time again Ballard made huge catches that weren't the very best thrown balls. It seemed he was always showing up in the clutch. When it came to blocking he had that down pat as well. I'm not mad at Jerry, it was a mistake. I understand what he was trying to do. However, it ended up biting us in the ***. Ballard was a great player last season and it's going to suck seeing him play else where.

Neverend
06-13-2012, 06:51 PM
600 yards..

so what are you saying.. his talent is equivalent to that of a 1000 yard receiving TE?

Ballard was a solid player but no dynamic receiving threat by any means. I think his microfracture + acl surgery is an overlooked factor here. In the fall of 2013, when he'll actually play, I don't think he's going to play at a very high level during this time

Flip Empty
06-13-2012, 06:55 PM
Eli seemed to target him quite a bit in the redzone, so there must've been a significant level of trust there.
Ballard could easily have wound up with more touchdowns. He was stopped an inch short on multiple occasions.

slipknottin
06-13-2012, 06:56 PM
Didnt run very well, not very explosive. Average blocker.

Had good hands, did a nice job finding holes in zone defenses.

Not sure how much better he could actually get. Physically there is very little he could have improved.

AllTuckedUp
06-13-2012, 07:01 PM
600 yards..

so what are you saying.. his talent is equivalent to that of a 1000 yard receiving TE?

Ballard was a solid player but no dynamic receiving threat by any means. I think his microfracture + acl surgery is an overlooked factor here. In the fall of 2013, when he'll actually play, I don't think he's going to play at a very high level during this time

600 yards for his first season actually playing is pretty good. He made a ton of big catches down the field. I don't think he is a Jimmy Graham or a Gronkowski but still a very solid TE.

Joe Morrison
06-13-2012, 07:12 PM
Fact is that in Gilbrides System the TE only gets so many chances and Ballard made the best, for him to get 600 yds. in that offense is a miracle itself.

buddy33
06-13-2012, 07:14 PM
I don't wan it to sound like I don't appreciate every thing he did while he was here, but he is not the athlete KP is and it took about 2 full seasons for KP to get back to form. Ballard was a slow TE. If he loses a step he will be extremely slow.

Drez
06-13-2012, 07:17 PM
600 yards..

Talent and production are not the same thing.

RoanokeFan
06-13-2012, 07:18 PM
Fact is that in Gilbrides System the TE only gets so many chances and Ballard made the best, for him to get 600 yds. in that offense is a miracle itself.

Absolutely correct. TEs are linemen first, pass catchers a distant second

T-Murda84
06-13-2012, 07:34 PM

Not sure how much better he could actually get. Physically there is very little he could have improved.

Ok lets now you say he couldnt improve. People say all the time that Witten couldnt run and wasnt explosive too. Ballard was able to get open and thats all that matters......instead you want to drool over workout warriors like the rookie we drafted or a Bennett who has a nice physique. I want football players...not bodybuilders and track stars. Ballard made PLAYS....just like Blackburn made plays....you win championships with guys like that. Finding holes in the zone and being on the same page as your QB is more important than guys like Beckum who is suppose to be athletic but can't get open or catch when he does.

slipknottin
06-13-2012, 07:36 PM
Who says all the time that Witten cant run and isnt explosive?

Ballard was a good player, nobody is doubting that. But he was replaceable. Not like the giants just dumped Gronk. Ballard is coming off a major injury as well, and we know he will not be back this coming season.

Flip Empty
06-13-2012, 07:38 PM

Ok lets now you say he couldnt improve. People say all the time that Witten couldnt run and wasnt explosive too. Ballard was able to get open and thats all that matters......instead you want to drool over workout warriors like the rookie we drafted or a Bennett who has a nice physique. I want football players...not bodybuilders and track stars. Ballard made PLAYS....just like Blackburn made plays....you win championships with guys like that. Finding holes in the zone and being on the same page as your QB is more important than guys like Beckum who is suppose to be athletic but can't get open or catch when he does.
Right now Ballard can't make any plays though, and there's no telling if he'll ever be capable of making them at the same level again.

T-Murda84
06-13-2012, 07:44 PM
Who says all the time that Witten cant run and isnt explosive?

Ballard was a good player, nobody is doubting that. But he was replaceable. Not like the giants just dumped Gronk.

Who knows...he could of been the next Gronk. Cruz became a superstar in his second year with us....we wouldnt have seen that if Reese placed him on the waivers like he did Ballard. The Giants run a complicated passing scheme...and Ballard was able to process that quick in his 1st year starting.

Every NFL player says that Witten isnt fast or explosive...he has a knack for getting open. Again, I know Ballard wasnt going to play this year, but give the young guy a chance....especially because Eli could trust him. Why do fans give up on hardworking players after an injury.....that same work ethic and motivation will drive him to get back on the field.

Drez
06-13-2012, 08:40 PM
Who knows...he could of been the next Gronk.
This shows how little about football you know.

Nothing else needs to be said.

GMENAGAIN
06-13-2012, 09:08 PM
Who says all the time that Witten cant run and isnt explosive? Ballard was a good player, nobody is doubting that. But he was replaceable. Not like the giants just dumped Gronk. Who knows...he could of been the next Gronk. Cruz became a superstar in his second year with us....we wouldnt have seen that if Reese placed him on the waivers like he did Ballard. The Giants run a complicated passing scheme...and Ballard was able to process that quick in his 1st year starting. Every NFL player says that Witten isnt fast or explosive...he has a knack for getting open. Again, I know Ballard wasnt going to play this year, but give the young guy a chance....especially because Eli could trust him. Why do fans give up on hardworking players after an injury.....that same work ethic and motivation will drive him to get back on the field.</P>

Comparing Ballard's speed and explosiveness to Gronk or Jason Witten is ridiculous . . . . . </P>

chizz
06-13-2012, 09:19 PM
dont worry well miss him once the season starts

Drez
06-13-2012, 09:21 PM
dont worry well miss him once the season starts
No we won't. He wasn't going to be playing regardless. Will we miss him in 2013? Who knows.

GMENAGAIN
06-13-2012, 09:31 PM
Time and time again Ballard made huge catches that weren't the very best thrown balls. It seemed he was always showing up in the clutch. <FONT size=4>When it came to blocking he had that down pat as well. </FONT>I'm not mad at Jerry, it was a mistake. I understand what he was trying to do. However, it ended up biting us in the ***. Ballard was a great player last season and it's going to suck seeing him play else where.</P>

I love how people just assume that Ballard was a good blocker because of his size.</P>

Have you ever really watched him block?? He is not very good at all. </P>

Drez
06-13-2012, 09:34 PM
Time and time again Ballard made huge catches that weren't the very best thrown balls. It seemed he was always showing up in the clutch. <font size="4">When it came to blocking he had that down pat as well. </font>I'm not mad at Jerry, it was a mistake. I understand what he was trying to do. However, it ended up biting us in the ***. Ballard was a great player last season and it's going to suck seeing him play else where.</p>

I love how people just assume that Ballard was a good blocker because of his size.</p>

Have you ever really watched him block?? He is not very good at all. </p>
I wouldn't say he wasn't very good, but he wasn't much better than average.

JimC
06-13-2012, 10:15 PM
Look guys, Jake was a likable player. He was also effective. We found him and we will find another......that's the way it is and we move on.

jomo
06-13-2012, 10:38 PM
The operative word is ........ was.

giantsfan39
06-13-2012, 11:21 PM
Eli seemed to target him quite a bit in the redzone, so there must've been a significant level of trust there.
Ballard could easily have wound up with more touchdowns. He was stopped an inch short on multiple occasions.

Because he lacks the athletic ability to make those catches. It isn't a positive thing.

Roosevelt
06-13-2012, 11:36 PM
Time and time again Ballard made huge catches that weren't the very best thrown balls. It seemed he was always showing up in the clutch. <font size="4">When it came to blocking he had that down pat as well. </font>I'm not mad at Jerry, it was a mistake. I understand what he was trying to do. However, it ended up biting us in the ***. Ballard was a great player last season and it's going to suck seeing him play else where.</p>

I love how people just assume that Ballard was a good blocker because of his size.</p>

Tough crowd.

He was an undrafted free agent in his first season for Christ's sake.

Drez
06-13-2012, 11:49 PM

Tough crowd.

How is it being tough? It's true. Ballard, despite his size, was an average at best blocker.

Bohemian
06-13-2012, 11:59 PM
I really thought that he was fantastic. A true find, and can only wish him a great recovery. He really was an upgrade from Boss, even though he was not as fast as Boss, he was certainly much more difficult to bring down for defensive backs.

I really hope that our new crew of TEs can measure up to the grit and consistency that Ballard brought to the field. I really think that Ballard and Cruz were the biggest surprises of last year, because we clearly needed to compensate for a non-existing running game.

I will miss Ballard.

Go Blue!

bearbryant
06-14-2012, 12:00 AM
Another "Giant" decision. They gambled that no one would pick him up. They were wrong. Now they have to hope that we get another TE who cuts the mustard. We'll see. I just hope he doesn't turn out to be any better than he was this past season. Oh, boy!

Bohemian
06-14-2012, 12:17 AM
Another "Giant" decision. They gambled that no one would pick him up. They were wrong. Now they have to hope that we get another TE who cuts the mustard. We'll see. I just hope he doesn't turn out to be any better than he was this past season. Oh, boy!

I just don't see how Ballard will get too many looks with the two starting TEs that the Pats already have. Ballard will at least be a great third option.

I really liked how Pascoe played in the Super Bowl, and think that we saw glimpses into what could be a breakout year. I am definitely looking forward to the pre-season, as it will be great competition at the position for the starting job.

BeatYale
06-14-2012, 01:10 AM
It was his first year getting a chance to start and he put up more yards than any Giants TE since Shockey left. That's not a bad first impression IMO.

He wasn't fast. Big deal. Speed is overrated and overvalued. Some of the most gifted athletes have been horrible football players.

RichGiants81
06-14-2012, 04:08 AM
If he comes back healthy in 2013. It's a huge loss, he had the best hands of any tight end we have had in many years.

Rat_bastich
06-14-2012, 04:27 AM
I think Ballard was one of those lunch pail guys that are the hard nose blue collar types that had more desire than actual talent...not saying the guy didn't have talent. I liked him but he is definitely replaceable.

We were in the same spot last year and as we did last year we'll find someone else. We have Robinson and Bennett in the wings. Once Bennett gets going on the Nutrisystem or P90X we should be good.

GMENAGAIN
06-14-2012, 06:41 AM
Time and time again Ballard made huge catches that weren't the very best thrown balls. It seemed he was always showing up in the clutch. <FONT size=4>When it came to blocking he had that down pat as well. </FONT>I'm not mad at Jerry, it was a mistake. I understand what he was trying to do. However, it ended up biting us in the ***. Ballard was a great player last season and it's going to suck seeing him play else where.</P>

I love how people just assume that Ballard was a good blocker because of his size.</P>

Tough crowd.

</P>

What does that have to do with whether he was a good blocker or not?</P>

AllTuckedUp
06-14-2012, 07:33 AM

Have you ever really watched him block??* He is not very good at all.* </P>

Tough crowd.

</P>

You're acting like he is a bad blocker which he certainly wasn't. If he couldn't block well Gilbride wouldn't have let him play. He blocked fine. What are you expecting from the guy? Should he be pancaking DTs?

Drez
06-14-2012, 08:57 AM
@AllTuckedUp And you're acting like he was Jumbo Elliott out there. He was an average blocker at best.

GMENAGAIN
06-14-2012, 09:11 AM

Tough crowd.

</P>

You're acting like he is a bad blocker which he certainly wasn't. If he couldn't block well Gilbride wouldn't have let him play. He blocked fine. What are you expecting from the guy? Should he be pancaking DTs?</P>

What I expect is irrelevant.</P>

You said that he had blocking "down pat". I simply pointed out that he did not. </P>

buddy33
06-14-2012, 09:15 AM
Isn't Bennet a great blocker? Ballard will not blocking anything this year. The Giants have a better blocking TE heading into tis season.

critters
06-14-2012, 09:17 AM
I thought of Ballard as one of our most improving players as the season went. I really became a fan. Who knows what he'll look like after the injuries though.

Roosevelt
06-14-2012, 11:10 AM

Tough crowd.

</p>

What does that have to do with whether he was a good blocker or not?</p>

In no way would I focus on Jake's miscues as a blocker given the circumstances. After the year we had, everything we got from Jake was gravy. He came
up big for us many times and that's what I will remember about this guy.

Seriously, who on this message board had high expectations for Jake last year? We were busy being bent over the loss of Kevin Boss and the uncertainty at the TE position.

When I think of poor blocking last year, there's one player that comes to mind, and he was cut for non-medical reasons by the Giants.

Roosevelt
06-14-2012, 11:13 AM
Isn't Bennet a great blocker? Ballard will not blocking anything this year. The Giants have a better blocking TE heading into tis season.

Having something on paper doesn't mean too much. Just ask Rex Ryan and his imaginary Super Bowl teams.

byron
06-14-2012, 11:47 AM

Having something on paper doesn't mean too much. Just ask Rex Ryan and his imaginary Super Bowl teams.
Bennet seems like a head case it may take a while to flush the cowboys out of him... lets hope he snaps around fast....

GMENAGAIN
06-14-2012, 11:51 AM

Tough crowd.

</P>

In no way would I focus on Jake's miscues as a blocker given the circumstances. After the year we had, everything we got from Jake was gravy. He came up big for us many times and that's what I will remember about this guy.

Seriously, who on this message board had high expectations for Jake last year? We were busy being bent over the loss of Kevin Boss and the uncertainty at the TE position.

When I think of poor blocking last year, there's one player that comes to mind, and he was cut for non-medical reasons by the Giants.

</P>

I liked Ballard and appreciated his contributions to the team. He was a good story and like the Giants, I did not want to see him go.</P>

I am not really focused on his shortcomings as a blocker. I simply disagreed with the suggestion that he was a good blocker.</P>

</P>

AllTuckedUp
06-14-2012, 03:27 PM

Have you ever really watched him block??* He is not very good at all.* </P>

Tough crowd.

</P>

In no way would I focus on Jake's miscues as a blocker given the circumstances. * After the year we had, everything we got from Jake was gravy.* He came up big for us many times and that's what I will remember about this guy.

Seriously, who on this message board had high expectations for Jake last year?* We were busy being bent over the loss of Kevin Boss and the uncertainty at the TE position.

</P>

I liked Ballard and appreciated his contributions to the team.* He was a good story and like the Giants, I did not want to see him go.</P>

I am not really focused on his shortcomings as a blocker.* I simply disagreed with the suggestion that he was a good blocker.</P>

*</P>

I never said he was an amazing blocker. I said he had his blocking down PAT. He is good enough at blocking in order to be beneficial on the field.

GMENAGAIN
06-14-2012, 03:42 PM

Tough crowd.

</P>

In no way would I focus on Jake's miscues as a blocker given the circumstances. After the year we had, everything we got from Jake was gravy. He came up big for us many times and that's what I will remember about this guy.

</P>

I liked Ballard and appreciated his contributions to the team. He was a good story and like the Giants, I did not want to see him go.</P>

I am not really focused on his shortcomings as a blocker. I simply disagreed with the suggestion that he was a good blocker.</P>

</P>

I never said he was an amazing blocker. I said he had his blocking down PAT. He is good enough at blocking in order to be beneficial on the field.</P>

And I disagreed with your statement that he had his blocking "down PAT". </P>

jakegibbs
06-14-2012, 03:55 PM

+1 Players like Blackman & Ballard = SB Wins
Others like TB look the part but don't fit the puzzle. TB is hanging by a fine thread IMHO anyway.

eli2hixon
06-14-2012, 04:13 PM

Comparing Jason Witten and Jake Ballard is ridiculous. First off, Ballard's scouting report out of college read ": Ballard is a marginal athlete yet a solid football player who can find a home on an NFL team as a third tight end." He ran a 4.8 40 and showed little athleticism in his game.

Witten by comparison had this in his scouting report "releases smoothly and has the speed to get up the seam. Has reliable hands - can extend and snatch away from his body. Shows the concentration to make the tough grab. Doesn't have dynamic cutting ability or fluidity. Heavy legged - lacks good leaping ability. Effective after the catch." He ran a 4.65 40 at the combine. To me, this reads as solid athleticism combined with good know how as a receiver.

Ballard did a great job finding open spaces in the coverage, but lacks the athleticism to be a dynamic tight end in today's game. He did a great job of getting the most out of his natural talents, but I feel he's pretty much maxed himself out. He was certainly better than anybody expected in his rookie season, but he'll be coming off an acl surgery in 2013 and can't afford to lose any of his athleticism.