PDA

View Full Version : Haven't heard a lick about Da"Rel Scott... Feel like he's being lost in the mix

NYG4lifeNYK
06-16-2012, 02:51 PM
Literally haven't heard a single thing about him this entire off season?

Being a second year player he should have an upper hand on Wilson and be a leading candidate for at least the #3 spot.

RagTime Blue
06-16-2012, 02:56 PM
In my mind, Scott's job this year is get better than Ware for NEXT year.

Coughlin always seems to favor consistent mediocrity over inconsistent greatness. Nobody is more consistently mediocre than DJ Ware.

slipknottin
06-16-2012, 03:11 PM
not sure what you want to hear about him?

There have been a couple articles about him, Gilbride mentioned him the other day.

There isnt really all that much you can gather about running backs in no contact drills like minicamp is.

Training camp you get a slightly better idea, but preseason should be the real test.

scf424
06-16-2012, 03:16 PM
If he can pick up pass protection and work on ball security, he'll have a spot

Neverend
06-16-2012, 03:16 PM
I like scott better than ware. scott at least has special qualities in his game (straight line speed). ware seems like above average to average at everything, great at nothing

Drez
06-16-2012, 05:09 PM
Being a second year player he should have an upper hand on Wilson and be a leading candidate for at least the #3 spot.

I don't know about that... I think the first round rookie generally will have the upper hand on the 2nd year 7th rounder, especially when Scott didn't do much to impress his rookie year.

giantsfan420
06-16-2012, 05:12 PM
I like scott better than ware. scott at least has special qualities in his game (straight line speed). ware seems like above average to average at everything, great at nothing
i agree. but that could be a factor in wares favor. the staff love versatilitty you know that, although ware doesnt do any 1 thing great, he does multitude of things avg.

i did see KG mention Scotts speed with Wilsons speed and how Wilson has a diff type of explsiveness than scotts

and i disageee that scott should have the edge for the 3rd back...

wilsons playing for back up and since we spent a 1rst on him, that makes sense.
ware and scott r fighting for the 3rd back not wilson

mainegiantsfan
06-16-2012, 05:16 PM
I hope Martinek fits into the picture. I don't see how Ware makes the team.

Firenugget
06-16-2012, 05:21 PM
They just had mini camps/OTA's. What would you expect to hear exactly? If he's going to make an impression it'll be in training camp/preseason.

buddy33
06-16-2012, 08:46 PM
It's kind of like what a reporter said the other day about Austin. He was saying how people where asking him about Aistin and he said its hard to tell anything from a DT without any contact.

Toadofsteel
06-16-2012, 08:56 PM
The only hope that Ware has is that none of the other RB's save Bradshaw can protect the QB. Wilson, Scott, and Martinek are all better runners than him. If they pick up the ball and QB security to at least be competent at it, Ware is GOOOOONE...

Breezely
06-16-2012, 09:29 PM
The only hope that Ware has is that none of the other RB's save Bradshaw can protect the QB. Wilson, Scott, and Martinek are all better runners than him. If they pick up the ball and QB security to at least be competent at it, Ware is GOOOOONE...

I agree. Ware is not great at protection but does a good job. That is a plus. If scott can provide decent protection, I believe he will beat out ware for that spot.

It appears a given that Wilson will be in the rotation somewhere. Martinek, I know can pass protect but faces an uphill battle in making the rotation. Practice squad maybe.. . . . . . . .and don't forget about A. Brown. . . . .bulked up to handle a bigger role.

giantsfan39
06-17-2012, 01:25 AM
Sorry I just don't have any hope for Scott. he seems like he has less shiftiness than brandon Jacobs. Just a straight up speed guy. Maybe he can fix it but I doubt it.

ELI_Iz_God
06-17-2012, 02:15 AM

seriously? Have you even seen Wilsons highlights?

Captain Chaos
06-17-2012, 06:24 AM
There was an article on him a while back saying that they were moving him around a bit, I think a little WR to use his speed. I kind of thought that was a nice idea, not sure if it will translate to more playing time but...

Here's the latest I could find:

http://www.bigblueview.com/2012/6/6/3048929/new-york-giants-players-under-pressure-darel-scott

giantsfan39
06-17-2012, 09:13 AM
There was an article on him a while back saying that they were moving him around a bit, I think a little WR to use his speed. I kind of thought that was a nice idea, not sure if it will translate to more playing time but...

http://www.bigblueview.com/2012/6/6/3048929/new-york-giants-players-under-pressure-darel-scott

I don't see it.. Especially when that takes a spot away from Hixon/Randle/Jernigan.

jomo
06-17-2012, 09:22 AM
Coughlin mentioned him this week in the context of Wilson, in essence giving Wilson the compliment. He said that Scott is the fastest guy on the team but Wilson harnesses his speed better and has great change of direction.

gmen0820
06-17-2012, 09:32 AM
5 feet running lanes don't exist in the NFL. That's Scott's problem.

miked1958
06-17-2012, 10:00 AM

http://www.bigblueview.com/2012/6/6/3048929/new-york-giants-players-under-pressure-darel-scottYes saw that. Hard to say at this point so early which one will emerge.

miked1958
06-17-2012, 10:02 AM
We may have another Ryan Grant situation on our hands. The odd man out could very well pop up on another teams starting lineup just like Grant did with GB...

miked1958
06-17-2012, 10:14 AM
I was informed grant was traded to the packers and not released in camp, but we have to many guys decent guys and not enough roster spots to keep em all

GMENAGAIN
06-17-2012, 10:28 AM

</P>

How exactly does a 7th round pick who carried the ball 5 times last year and fumbled twice have the "upper hand" over a first round draft pick?????</P>

appodictic
06-17-2012, 11:47 AM
Giants usually carry 4 RBs. I think andre brown is the odd man out. Da'Rel has seen the end zone in the NFL.

NYG4lifeNYK
06-17-2012, 01:03 PM

Every clip yes. You still can't replicate NFL experience of the playbook, team activities, mental reps and watching it first hand.

He should have the upper hand on Wilson, doesn't mean I expect him the be the starter, which is why i said he should most likely win that 3rd spot.

gmen0820
06-17-2012, 01:10 PM

Every clip yes. You still can't replicate NFL experience of the playbook, team activities, mental reps and watching it first hand.

He should have the upper hand on Wilson, doesn't mean I expect him the be the starter, which is why i said he should most likely win that 3rd spot.
So Curtis Painter 'should' have the upper hand on Andrew Luck as well, right?

bLuereverie
06-17-2012, 01:11 PM
Of all the running backs, I would say Scott's success is more dependent on the line. He doesn't look to have a lateral element to him at all.

Forget about Wilson, I thought Brown looked better than him last preseason. His one long run [outside of the fake punt] last year, he tripped after running into the back of Brewer.

burier
06-20-2012, 12:28 PM
Wilson is the first round pick so he's going to play.

Bradshaws going to play so...he's got a shot at third back...

yoeddy
06-20-2012, 12:32 PM

Coughlin always seems to favor consistent mediocrity over inconsistent greatness.* Nobody is more consistently mediocre than DJ Ware.

Interesting, since Coughlin's playoff record with the Giants appears to be either greatness/championship or first-round-loss...exactly the opposite of what you are saying...

G-Man67
06-20-2012, 01:14 PM

Coughlin always seems to favor consistent mediocrity over inconsistent greatness. Nobody is more consistently mediocre than DJ Ware.
</P>

really? ... yes, our formula for winning the Super Bowl was consistent mediority</P>

Scott has nobody to blame but himself ... he had ball security issues and he didn't show that he could pickup the blitz ... he got exactly the amount of playing time he earned ... now he has another chance and believe me if he performs better than Ware, he will play ahead of him</P>

and nobody is high on Ware ... do you think drafting Wilson in the 1st round was a vote of confidence to Ware?</P>

so let's give the coaches a little credit that they are able to set the depth chart correctly ... Scott is fast and speed kills in the NFL ... but a fast fumbler than can't pickup the blitz is an accident waiting to happen ... let's hope he's worked hard on those issues</P>

RoanokeFan
06-20-2012, 01:22 PM

Every player on the team can't be "great." Ware is better that Scott until Scott plays better than Ware. Scott fumbled one or two balls and Coughlin hates that in his running backs. Nothing says Scott can't get it all together, but so far it's an open competition and I think Ware's the #2 until someone takes it away from him which will probably be Wilson. But running the ball is not all they need to do. Reads, blocking, etc. are just as important as the hand-off.

TuckYou
06-20-2012, 01:30 PM
I was informed grant was traded to the packers and not released in camp, but we have to many guys decent guys and not enough roster spots to keep em all</P>

We traded Grant for a 6th round pick.</P>

By the way, I forgot how bad his injury was....</P>

Signing as an undrafted free agent (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Undrafted_free_agent), Grant spent 2005 on the New York Giants practice squad (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Practice_squad). He missed the entire 2006 season, however, after a non-football related injury threatened his career. Grant was at a nightclub when someone bumped into him; when he went to brace himself, his left arm went through several champagne glasses, severing an artery (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artery), a tendon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tendon) and the ulnar nerve (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulnar_nerve) in his left arm. Grant almost bled to death and doctors at the time told him he might not regain the use of his left hand, although he did recover with time</P>