PDA

View Full Version : JPP is now playing at 295 lbs..... 6-5 295.. may God have mercy on the league

NYG4lifeNYK
06-16-2012, 09:34 PM
http://corner.bigblueinteractive.com/index.php?mode=2&thread=445210

Toadofsteel
06-16-2012, 09:40 PM
Lets just hope he stays quick and keeps generating more momentum...

Breezely
06-16-2012, 09:45 PM
I worry about the weight but his frame is so that it might not hender his speed. I wonder if this is by suggestion of the coaching staff?????

Either or, if he can still back flip like he did at a lesser weight. . . . . .I'll feel better!!!!!!!! Dude is a freak, so I'll take it. Might be a project.

20 POUNDS. Could make him unstoppable. (Reggie White)

NYG4lifeNYK
06-16-2012, 09:57 PM
It's not like he's BULKING up he's more-so just playing at a comfortable weight built for his frame. The guy is ENORMOUS.

As Breezely mentioned Reggie White played at 6-5 300-305.

gmen0820
06-16-2012, 09:59 PM
I like this a lot. Not only does it make him that much more sturdy in the run game, but it should make him better in the pass rush aspect as well.

I don't think he will lose much explosiveness/quickness, but it should improve his bull rush and more importantly, the threat of it. JPP is a dedicated learner, he will become a very savvy player and his frame/athleticism/instincts only make him that much of a harder player to contain.

Toadofsteel
06-16-2012, 10:04 PM
Of course it's a physics issue... force = mass * acceleration. By adding mass, he can add force (which equals levelled o-linemen and QB's), but not if adding the weight compromises his acceleration.

Yes, my physics teacher in high school did use football to demonstrate f=ma...

Coach Carter
06-16-2012, 10:10 PM
I hope this works out. More weight usually means less stamina and more stress on joints and muscles.

gmen0820
06-16-2012, 10:14 PM
I hope this works out. More weight usually means less stamina and more stress on joints and muscles.5 pounds of muscle, it doesn't magically appear one morning.

Cool Papa B.
06-16-2012, 11:32 PM
I don't know. Judging from the videos I've seen of him during OTA's the guy looks the same to me.

Question for all you trainers and workout beasts out there:

Is it possible to gain 20 lbs. of muscle and not lose your quickness, speed and flexibility?

THE_New_York_Giants
06-16-2012, 11:43 PM
I don't know. Judging from the videos I've seen of him during OTA's the guy looks the same to me.

Is it possible to gain 20 lbs. of muscle and not lose your quickness, speed and flexibility?

Yes. In fact it usually adds to quickness/explosiveness and can make you more flexible unless you just get too stacked. However, you will not be able to run fast for longer distances. You'll still have great endurance, just not the same as it was. In JPP's case, it might cut his play time by 3-4 snaps a game just so he can catch his breath.

Good example is a sprinter vs a distance runner. Sprinters are usually stacked and explosive with great short term speed. Distance runners are built to do just that.

In the NFL, you have short bursts of speed followed by 20 seconds of rest. It's better to be built like a sprinter to take full advantage of the short burst of energy.

Question though.. Why does this make JPP a monster yet when Bennett does it (who actually has a bigger frame), he is a fat, lazy jerk?

offingmoot
06-16-2012, 11:56 PM
In normal terms of an adult @25 years old adding 20lbs i can say from experience i lost flexibility and quickness. It was inherint in the way i needed to train in order to gain all that muscle. Super heavy sets and low reps.

In terms of someone growin from a young adult into a full grown male, it probably will not negatively affect him. In fact he will most likely be stronger and faster than before. His body produced more of the muscle than him building it through heavy lifting. He still trains the same and could possibly even get more flexible if he adds things like yoga like toomer and others have done later in their careers.

He is just starting to come into his own!
Glad he is ours.

I still get insulted when i hear other fans jealous of us picking him. I have an eagles fan friend who isnt the typical *****. But he thinks if the eagles had picked him instead of graham they would now have the same player he is today.
He is a combo of his raw athletic ability and a product of our system of coaches and players already in place.
I bet if the eagles or anyone else picked him he wouldnt be quite the quality player he is today. He came to us so raw and our system is molding him into a rare player.

NY_Eli
06-16-2012, 11:59 PM
Question though.. Why does this make JPP a monster yet when Bennett does it (who actually has a bigger frame), he is a fat, lazy jerk?

Great point.

Cool Papa B.
06-17-2012, 12:05 AM

Yes. In fact it usually adds to quickness/explosiveness and can make you more flexible unless you just get too stacked. However, you will not be able to run fast for longer distances. You'll still have great endurance, just not the same as it was. In JPP's case, it might cut his play time by 3-4 snaps a game just so he can catch his breath.

Good example is a sprinter vs a distance runner. Sprinters are usually stacked and explosive with great short term speed. Distance runners are built to do just that.

In the NFL, you have short bursts of speed followed by 20 seconds of rest. It's better to be built like a sprinter to take full advantage of the short burst of energy.

Thanks for breaking it down.If adding 20 lbs. of muscles results in JPP losing 3-4 plays/game wouldn't it make sense to stay at or around his weight. The key is having JPP play at full speed as much as possible.

Jon6777
06-17-2012, 12:14 AM
Wasn't he playing in the 290 range last year anyways? He's a young guy he should be able to handle the weight. 5-7 years down the line though he will probably have to cut some weight.

THE_New_York_Giants
06-17-2012, 12:48 AM

Thanks for breaking it down.If adding 20 lbs. of muscles results in JPP losing 3-4 plays/game wouldn't it make sense to stay at or around his weight. The key is having JPP play at full speed as much as possible.

Not if he thinks he can make a bigger impact in 20 plays at this weight than he could in 23 on the former.

slipknottin
06-17-2012, 12:48 AM
There was a lot of talk of him pre-draft that he had the potential to be close to 300 pounds and retain all his speed and quickness.

I love all the posters on that forum, lol, first response is "JPP doesnt need to be strong". Um what? Lol

Then another guy saying that in his opinion JPP's ideal weight is 280... How does he figure that?

fourth&forever
06-17-2012, 01:04 AM
If JPP has a weakness, its attacking from the tackle position. He was MUCH less effectual.
But add more weight and power and wa-bam!
Maybe he can play all across the line effectively now.
The stunting combos could be really exciting. Can't wait to see!

RagTime Blue
06-17-2012, 01:30 AM
My impression of JPP's game was that he flourished when opponents gave him space and respected his speed. If they attacked him, however, he often got bogged-down.

Just my impression, of course. But I think that he needs more power in close quarters and he'll retain his quickness by improving his techniques and position-play.

I think the coaches are trying to make him more well-rounded in his game, by adding some bulk.

ELI_Iz_God
06-17-2012, 02:13 AM
http://corner.bigblueinteractive.com/index.php?mode=2&thread=445210

Every opposing QB in the NFL should be S******* in thier pants right now

greenca190
06-17-2012, 02:49 AM
Yeah, so, first comment I read, I had the same thought as a previous poster. However, it hasn't been answered yet.

Martellus Bennett.

You know, that guy who was so negatively pressed as adding 20 pounds of weight, and apparently his body will fall apart because of it?

Why is this a good thing for Jason and a bad thing for Martellus?

Captain Chaos
06-17-2012, 06:18 AM
You don't hear the coaches making an issue out of it so it probably isn't an issue. It could be just the natural progession in his professional career where he has established a high caliber work out program.

What was that I just heard?? Every LT that we play moaning.....

Redeyejedi
06-17-2012, 09:52 AM
There was a lot of talk of him pre-draft that he had the potential to be close to 300 pounds and retain all his speed and quickness.

I love all the posters on that forum, lol, first response is "JPP doesnt need to be strong". Um what? Lol

Then another guy saying that in his opinion JPP's ideal weight is 280... How does he figure that? I wonder if they will use him some more inside this year with Osi at RE. Maybe the guy just has alien DNA

slipknottin
06-17-2012, 10:00 AM
I think playing inside you have to be very good technically. Hand usage is probably the most important thing. That's why Tuck plays so well inside.

I think they will keep JPP outside more than last year.

Osi played more and more LE as the season went on. So I think Jpp rotates sides with Osi. And tuck moves inside.

Redeyejedi
06-17-2012, 10:01 AM
This kid has scary physical size and ability already. He has the potential to win multiple DPY of the year awards. Im not a religious man but god please do not let anything happen to this guy

ShakeNBake
06-17-2012, 01:02 PM
If he really put on 20lbs of muscle like some people here are saying, the man is a genetic freak

BigBlue1971
06-17-2012, 01:07 PM
There was a lot of talk of him pre-draft that he had the potential to be close to 300 pounds and retain all his speed and quickness. I love all the posters on that forum, lol, first response is "JPP doesnt need to be strong". Um what? Lol Then another guy saying that in his opinion JPP's ideal weight is 280... How does he figure that? I wonder if they will use him some more inside this year with Osi at RE. Maybe the guy just has alien DNA</P>

</P>

i think that may be part of the Giants strategy to move JPP around on the line! </P>

that just causes more confusion for opponents!</P>

Breezely
06-17-2012, 01:12 PM
I would like to know if it was the training staff/coaches who suggested this? That would tell me alot. Again, I think his frame can very much handle the weight. It is quite scary when you think about. I can hear the commentators now. . . ."OH MY!!!!!!! What a bull rush!!!!! He is throwing linemen around like ragdolls!!!!"

bubblesmcgee
06-17-2012, 01:22 PM
I'm just glad hes ours. Imagine our line last year trying to slow him down? I dont know that we'd have an answer...Just happy we dont need one

gmen46
06-17-2012, 02:59 PM
Yeah, so, first comment I read, I had the same thought as a previous poster. However, it hasn't been answered yet.

Martellus Bennett.

You know, that guy who was so negatively pressed as adding 20 pounds of weight, and apparently his body will fall apart because of it?

Do you seriously need to ask that?

OK then, how about -- because Martellus has not, after 4 years, proven himself yet to be even a starting TE for ANY team let alone among the elite at his position, whereas JPP has, after just 2 years, proven to be among the top 3-4 Defensive players (overall, not just at DE) IN THE LEAGUE?

How about that Bennett was acquired with the understanding his optimum playing weight was where it should be, but he arrived in camp several pounds over that optimum weight, whereas JPP has been under supervision of Giants coaches who had previously said he could hold a little more weight?

greenca190
06-17-2012, 03:24 PM

Martellus Bennett.

OK then, how about -- because Martellus has not, after 4 years, proven himself yet to be even a starting TE for ANY team let alone among the elite at his position, whereas JPP has, after just 2 years, proven to be among the top 3-4 Defensive players (overall, not just at DE) IN THE LEAGUE?

How about that Bennett was acquired with the understanding his optimum playing weight was where it should be, but he arrived in camp several pounds over that optimum weight, whereas JPP has been under supervision of Giants coaches who had previously said he could hold a little more weight?

We still haven't seen whether it's good or bad for either of them. I guess we can read whatever headlines we're getting from Giants PR, but it comes down to it, I feel like most posters on here just want to hate Martellus and are willing to give JPP the benefit of the doubt.

FBomb
06-17-2012, 03:24 PM
Question though.. Why does this make JPP a monster yet when Bennett does it (who actually has a bigger frame), he is a fat, lazy jerk? Great point.</P>

The answer, of course, is some people are only happy when they are *****ing about something.</P>

slipknottin
06-17-2012, 04:42 PM

The simple answer is that some have the frame to carry the weight and not impact their health or athleticism, some dont.

Bennett put on the weight, and it resulted in an injury when he tried to run. Bennett eventually may be able to play at close to that weight, but the giants probably dont know him well enough physically to estimate that.

gmen46
06-17-2012, 07:03 PM

Martellus Bennett.

We still haven't seen whether it's good or bad for either of them. I guess we can read whatever headlines we're getting from Giants PR, but it comes down to it, I feel like most posters on here just want to hate Martellus and are willing to give JPP the benefit of the doubt.

If what you say about fans willing to hate on Bennett, then I agree with your point. I just haven't seen that much Bennett-hate on here, I guess.

embeshAtYa
06-18-2012, 09:08 AM
Think of it like this. He is very young... Its not more weight for muscle to carry. Its more muscle to carry the weight.

TuckYou
06-18-2012, 09:46 AM
These guys will lose a lot of weight during the offseason training in the heat. Him and Bennett will be ready. As long as he can still backflip, he is good. Got to remember, he is only 23, still growing somewhat. Scary huh...

bansaw
06-18-2012, 10:18 AM
he has that Lawrence Taylor trait where his arms seem to grow 4 to 5 inches when he makes a tackle
its like they have a little Stretch Armstrong in them

guy stays healthy he'll be a Giant Legend

06-18-2012, 10:52 AM
Like gmen 0820 said : The threat of the bull rush... can now make his speed rush more effective

thomsoad
06-18-2012, 11:28 AM
I worry about the weight but his frame is so that it might not hender his speed. I wonder if this is by suggestion of the coaching staff?????

Either or, if he can still back flip like he did at a lesser weight. . . . . .I'll feel better!!!!!!!! Dude is a freak, so I'll take it. Might be a project.

20 POUNDS. Could make him unstoppable. (Reggie White)

From day one the coaching staff has said his frame can easily handle an extra 20 lbs of muscle. I wouldnt be too worried about him losing a step if all of the Giants FO/coaching staff believe that.

thomsoad
06-18-2012, 11:33 AM

Martellus Bennett.

WTH are you talking about? Reason why is becuz the coach had mentioned Bennet was 20 lbs heavier and the media ran the story that Bennet was fat and out of shape. Which was proven as not true. Bennett gained 20lbs of muscle...not fat.

Media took a negative spin on Bennett without knowing the facts behind it....NY media at its finest.

BeatYale
06-18-2012, 11:56 AM
That's not the weight he's going to be playing at. The off season is the bulking phase. After that players, especially the bigger guys, start to deplete in weight.

When I saw Shockey a very long time ago in Newport Beach he had mentioned that he would be up to 30lbs lighter by the time the season was over.

giantman8493
06-18-2012, 01:45 PM
o rly?

TuckYou
06-18-2012, 01:59 PM
The only thing I dont want to hear now is hamstring though. Playing heavier can result in injuries, and this may be a problem with the Giants staff. We seem to have a rash on injuries every year. Obviously some arent the strength and conditioning. But this kind of stuff could be. Telling them to add more weight, not getting them properly stretched and warmed up, ect...</P>

With that said, JPP 20 sacks this season.</P>

JPP
06-18-2012, 04:05 PM
not many actually hate our players they are giving JPP the benefit of the doubt because he earned it with one of the best seasons we have seen from our DE's since Strahan not to mention a big fat ring on his finger. Hell JPP single single handedly, literally with one hand, wrecked the Bennet's season not the other way around. there is very good reason to give JPP the benefit of the doubt.