PDA

View Full Version : Bigger role for Hynoski this season?

NY_Eli
06-17-2012, 12:07 AM
He played great in the super bowl. Have the coaches mentioned using him more? Could be a hidden weapon in the passing game.

gmen0820
06-17-2012, 12:19 AM
Considering we play 21 personnel so often, or at least try to, I think we offer him a bigger role than anyone else in the league. He'll have plenty of oppurtunities.

chasjay
06-17-2012, 12:35 AM
I have no opinions of a strategic nature to offer - but I just like the guy - like the presence he has on the field - and hope he performs well in a significant role for the team this season. I've always appreciated guys who seem dedicated and unselfish when they're playing the less glamorous positions. Guys who work for a living.

Cool Papa B.
06-17-2012, 12:44 AM
If none of the RB's step up I would like to see get the ball in short yard situations.

giantsfan39
06-17-2012, 01:26 AM
Considering we play 21 personnel so often, or at least try to, I think we offer him a bigger role than anyone else in the league. He'll have plenty of oppurtunities.

Not really. We run 11 personnel most often and I only expect that trend to continue.

gmen0820
06-17-2012, 01:32 AM

Not really. We run 11 personnel most often and I only expect that trend to continue.
We did run 11 personnel very often, the majority of the time in fact, because we often got behind.

We started games with 21 personnel, and I'm sure would love to stick with it throughout whole games with it as the majority personnel package, especially since Manningham is gone too.

I will admit though, most of the games I watched from last year that confirm what I'm saying were before Cruz REALLY established himself. We don't really have a Cruz/Manningham-like 3rd option, at least not yet (although I do think Randle will be good).

Still, I think we restore balance to the 21 personnel-11 personnel package.

gmen0820
06-17-2012, 01:43 AM
And I just want to be clear on this, as I feel I'm being a little vague. I realize we play 11 personnel very often, and the way the league is going, see that to continue.

11 personnel dominates NFL offenses around the league, from what I've observed. I think the critical factor, and difference is that the Giants would be much more likely to balance the 11 personnel with a 21 alignment...rather than most teams would with 5 wide sets, or 2 TE hybrid sets.

Many teams don't even carry FBs as it is. I think 4 years ago, Hynoski is a 4th-5th round pick.

Captain Chaos
06-17-2012, 06:48 AM
I remember Garafolo saying that he was one of the reasons why our running game had trouble last year, he had difficulty with some of the larger LBs. That said he has bulked up a bit this year and we will see how he does. Bottom line between he and Bear we should do fine; it's the OL that worries me...

jomo
06-17-2012, 07:40 AM
No change in his role this year. He'll be a surprise option, particularly out of the back field on a short pass route. That's it.</P>

giantsfan39
06-17-2012, 09:12 AM
I really don't think we will run 21 personnel more. That takes Cruz out of the slot and I also believe Randle/Hixon/Jernigan is sufficient enough for us to find a 3rd WR. I honestly expect more 4 wide. And think we could see more 2 TE sets as well. David Wilson is best out of the shotgun imo.

I do think Hynoski will get a few carries on 3rd and 1 or 3rd and inches.

jomo
06-17-2012, 09:18 AM
I really don't think we will run 21 personnel more. That takes Cruz out of the slot and I also believe Randle/Hixon/Jernigan is sufficient enough for us to find a 3rd WR. I honestly expect more 4 wide. And think we could see more 2 TE sets as well. David Wilson is best out of the shotgun imo.

Hmmm..............Hynoski or Wilson out of the backfield. No brainer.

gmen0820
06-17-2012, 09:30 AM
I really don't* think we will run 21 personnel more. That takes Cruz out of the slot and I also believe Randle/Hixon/Jernigan is sufficient enough for us to find a 3rd WR. I honestly expect more 4 wide. And* think we could see more 2 TE* sets as well. David Wilson is best out of the shotgun imo.

21 personnel has Cruz and Nicks on the outside with a huge threat of run.

Cruz and Nicks can get open vs single man coverage, 21 personnel is advantageous because with two wide receivers who can get open, and a threat in the back field, and sufficient blocking, defenses are off balance.

Again, we ran 11 personnel the majority of the time, but we are still a base 21 team. We ran Nickel the majority of the time last yeas, but we are still a base 43.

slipknottin
06-17-2012, 09:52 AM
I never understand why so many people want to get the fullback the ball.

He's there to block. And rarely make a catch. That's it.

Eli manning is an eligible receiver every play too. Let's send him out on pass routes and have him run the ball, right??

Pa1jintfan
06-17-2012, 09:53 AM
While were on the subject. I live in the same town as Henry. Seen him yesterday at sheetz. A mini mart. He looks huge. Still a humble small town guy. Nice as hell. Go jints.

BigBlue1971
06-17-2012, 01:18 PM
I never understand why so many people want to get the fullback the ball. He's there to block. And rarely make a catch. That's it. Eli manning is an eligible receiver every play too. Let's send him out on pass routes and have him run the ball, right??</P>

</P>

i think a lot of the hype comes from his play late in the season last year. it wasnt much just the way he done it! hurdling a player on a run and catching a coupla passes outta the backfield for big plays!</P>

to be honest im looking forward to his play this coming season as well! </P>

personally i think he haspotential and could be a weapon at times.</P>

jomo
06-17-2012, 01:59 PM
I never understand why so many people want to get the fullback the ball. He's there to block. And rarely make a catch. That's it. Eli manning is an eligible receiver every play too. Let's send him out on pass routes and have him run the ball, right??They don't realize thatthe "element of surprise" does not constitute a game plan slip. lol

chasjay
06-17-2012, 02:19 PM
I never understand why so many people want to get the fullback the ball. He's there to block. And rarely make a catch. That's it. Eli manning is an eligible receiver every play too. Let's send him out on pass routes and have him run the ball, right??They don't realize thatthe "element of surprise" does not constitute a game plan slip. lol

I think that is too broad a statement. No, it isn't a game plan, but it sometimes has great value. The "element of surprise" may have won the Saints a Super Bowl on the second half kickoff. While running the fullback a few times a season on 3rd and short doesn't measure up to that example - it certainly could have some value.

jomo
06-17-2012, 02:34 PM

I think that is too broad a statement. No, it isn't a game plan, but it sometimes has great value. The "element of surprise" may have won the Saints a Super Bowl on the second half kickoff. While running the fullback a few times a season on 3rd and short doesn't measure up to that example - it certainly could have some value.
It certainly does have some value as we saw last year and it will have about the same value this year even though our RB should be stronger overall than last year. However, the thread asks a question: "<U><FONT size=4>Bigger</FONT></U> role for Hynoski this season?" Hence my answer, no.

greenca190
06-17-2012, 02:46 PM
While were on the subject. I live in the same town as Henry. Seen him yesterday at sheetz. A mini mart. He looks huge. Still a humble small town guy. Nice as hell. Go jints.

Mmmmmmm sheetz.....

Hynoski just needed a pretzel roll chicken sandwich so badly.

chasjay
06-17-2012, 03:01 PM

It certainly does have some value as we saw last year and it will have about the same value this year even though our RB should be stronger overall than last year. However, the thread asks a question: "<u><font size="4">Bigger</font></u> role for Hynoski this season?" Hence my answer, no.

I'll concede your point - but still think Hynoski should get a few more touches. And I agree that our RB's and line play will be improved on 3rd and short this year - which should also increase the effectiveness of the FB dive option - IMHO.

NYGRealityCheck
06-17-2012, 05:50 PM

Eli manning is an eligible receiver every play too. Let's send him out on pass routes and have him run the ball, right??

I agree. Football 101. The Fullback is mainly in there to make those punishing blocks on the defense for the RB to open up the running game. Of course, the FB can catch passes and run the ball too. That's just the dynamics of the position, but the majority time on the field is spent blocking.

Cool Papa B.
06-17-2012, 06:29 PM
Of course the main job of the FB is to block. That's obvious. The only reason I said I would like to see him carry the ball in short yardage situations is because I've seen him do it in Pitt and was good at it.

slipknottin
06-17-2012, 07:23 PM
Of course the main job of the FB is to block. That's obvious. The only reason I said I would like to see him carry the ball in short yardage situations is because I've seen him do it in Pitt and was good at it.

And that was college, this is NFL.

Jacobs was an absolute beast in short yardage in college, and he was not very good at all at it in the NFL.

NYG 5
06-17-2012, 10:21 PM

you assume that the offense is going to behave the same as last year and but 3 WR and a TE in almost all the time and throw throw throw.

he could be useful if the running game is successful and the defense puts more linebackers on the field, and odds are there would be a slower one on him if Wilson or AB is in the backfield.

will we see a return of the fullback screen???

Pa1jintfan
06-18-2012, 10:58 AM
They are the best...... It's so odd to see a small town kid, who went to the same school as you, make it to the NFL and make the cut.... He did bulk up, he looks solid

jomo
06-18-2012, 11:10 AM
May I point out here that there is some chance that HH won't even make the final roster. He has some decent competition and he is not an especiallyferocious blocker. Carrying extra fullbacks is not an NFL priority. Just saying. I like the guy, think he had maybe the best hands on the team out of the backfield last year but he is what he is and that is a useful, prodcutive role player like Ware.</P>

Any good organization is always looking to upgrade everywhere within budgetary restraints. This is one roster spot where upgrading is certainly possible. IMO</P>

thomsoad
06-18-2012, 11:16 AM
I remember Garafolo saying that he was one of the reasons why our running game had trouble last year, he had difficulty with some of the larger LBs. That said he has bulked up a bit this year and we will see how he does. Bottom line between he and Bear we should do fine; it's the OL that worries me...

I would like to see that interview if you can find it. Not that I dont believe it. Its just the stats show are running game was at its worst by almost a full ypc when Hynoski was out due to his injury.

chasjay
06-18-2012, 11:19 AM
May I point out here that there is some chance that HH won't even make the final roster. He has some decent competition and he is not an especiallyferocious blocker. Carrying extra fullbacks is not an NFL priority. Just saying. I like the guy, think he had maybe the best hands on the team out of the backfield last year but he is what he is and that is a useful, prodcutive role player like Ware.</p>

Any good organization is always looking to upgrade everywhere within budgetary restraints. This is one roster spot where upgrading is certainly possible. IMO</p>

Who do you see as the candidates for the FB roster spot - that are on the roster now? I know there's HH and Martinek - maybe someone else who is listed now as TE or RB? I believe Hynoski is the only FB listed on the roster right now.

yoeddy
06-18-2012, 11:59 AM
He played great in the super bowl. Have the coaches mentioned using him more? Could be a hidden weapon in the passing game.

Every player has a role in this offense...how they get used depends on how the games unfold and what opportunities are exposed by the defenses we face. If Hynoski is in position to make an impact, the ball will come his way...

Cool Papa B.
06-18-2012, 12:22 PM

And that was college, this is NFL.

Jacobs was an absolute beast in short yardage in college, and he was not very good at all at it in the NFL.

How do you know for sure that he can't handle short yard situations in the NFL if he hasn't gotten the opportunity to do it?

TrueBlue@NYC
06-18-2012, 12:54 PM
I can see the team utilizing HH more, but not as a runner. But with how much teams will be focusing on our outside threats he'll definintly have quite a few oppurtunities in the flat, much like he did during the SB.

In short yardage, I rather them playaction and flip it to him in the flat then simply do a hand-off, he's a better receiver then runner .

Either way, he needs to clean up his blocking.