PDA

View Full Version : SIGNING JAKE BALLARD AWAY FROM THE GIANTS SHOWS COACH BELICHICK IS BLUE WITH ENVY

RoanokeFan
06-18-2012, 09:16 AM
SIGNING JAKE BALLARD AWAY FROM THE GIANTS SHOWS COACH BELICHICK IS BLUE WITH ENVY (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/signing-jake-ballard-ny-giants-shows-patriots-coach-bill-belichick-blue-envy-article-1.1097019)

Excerpt: "Bill Belichick (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Bill+Belichick) was
all choked up, and his voice cracked as he stood inside the Giants’ locker room
at old Giants Stadium filming a segment for a documentary about his coaching
life in 2009.<div class="story-body p402_premium">

It was an emotional side of Belichick not seen very often (well, maybe he got
all misty-eyed when he was caught spying on other teams) and he stopped just
short of tears flowing down his cheeks as he took a trip down memory lane
talking about the 12 years he spent as a Giants assistant coach.</p>

“This is a great organization,” Belichick said as he tried to keep his
composure. “It’s hard not to get choked up about it. I loved it here. I loved it
here.”</p>

He talked about how he was just trying to establish himself in his coaching
career and be a good coach back then and “win some games. We won a lot of them
here.”</p>

Seriously, it was a real tearjerker.</p>

Then, after losing to the Giants in the Super Bowl again in February, he gave
Tom Coughlin such a long embrace that Coughlin was still talking about it months
later. Who knew such passion existed in the man?</p>

Even so, you can always say one thing about Belichick: He doesn’t let emotion
and friendship get in the way of business. As a result, there is a new Border
War in town. The Giants, the team he cried for, vs. the Patriots, the team he
cheated for.</p>

Belichick’s fondness for the Giants didn’t prevent him from really sticking
it to them last week when he claimed injured tight end Jake Ballard (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Jake+Ballard) off
waivers when the Giants were trying to sneak him through. If the Giants were
successful, Ballard would have been placed on the Physically Unable To Perform
List.</p>

The NFL is a cutthroat business, and nobody’s blood runs colder than
Belichick’s. He didn’t owe the Giants anything and didn’t extend them
professional courtesy by letting Ballard pass through.</p>

As the Super Bowl runnerup, Belichick was 31st in the priority order on
waivers. Thirty other teams passed. The Giants’ risk almost paid off. Coughlin
was angry, but it was hard to say if he was mad at Belichick or mad at himself
or GM Jerry Reese or all three.</p>

A couple of points:</p>

- Giants motive: They clearly screwed up in order to save
one of 90 roster spots going into training camp. Ballard, who had major knee
surgery after getting hurt against the Patriots in the Super Bowl, failed his
Giants physical and is not expected to play until 2013. The Giants had two
choices: they could have placed him on PUP without waiving him, but that would
have meant carrying him on the active roster until the cut to 75 on the Monday
after the third preseason game. Or, if he cleared waivers as they hoped, he
would have gone on PUP, not count against the 90-man roster and also not been
eligible to play in 2012. The Giants took an unnecessary gamble to save a roster
spot and lost Ballard.
</p></div>-Patriots motive: Belichick must have liked what he saw of
Ballard in the Giants’ 24-20 victory in Foxborough last year. On the Giants’
winning drive, he had an acrobatic 28-yard catch on third down with 45 seconds
left and caught the game-winning one-yard TD pass from Eli Manning with 15
seconds left. In the Super Bowl, he had two catches for 10 yards before he was
injured. But it still didn’t make much sense to claim Ballard because the
Patriots just signed Rob Gronkowski, the best tight end in the league, to a
six-year, $54 million extension. They also have Aaron Hernandez, who has two
years left on his contract and is a much better player than Ballard, and because
Ballard is not going to play this season. From a medical standpoint, Ballard
would have been better off staying with the Giants because their staff is
familiar with his injury and has been working with him.

Why did Belichick do it? Maybe he doesn’t love the Giants so much anymore
after they denied him two rings. Was he getting back at them? Somehow, claiming
Ballard doesn’t quite make up for two Super Bowl losses.</p>
It’s enough to make Belichick cry." Read more...

jomo
06-18-2012, 09:25 AM
What are the cap implications on both sides? </P>

If the Giants maneuvered him through waivers to the PUPwould theyhave receivedsome cap relief this year?</P>

Is the same true if they did it on cut day to 75 players?</P>

Do the Patriots get any hit on their cap this year, regardless of whether he plays,as a result of picking him up?</P>

Do the Pats now have all the options and responsibilitiesthat the Giants had before claiming him on waivers?</P>

Joe Morrison
06-18-2012, 09:34 AM
What are the cap implications on both sides? </P>

If the Giants maneuvered him through waivers to the PUPwould theyhave receivedsome cap relief this year?</P>

Is the same true if they did it on cut day to 75 players?</P>

Do the Patriots get any hit on their cap this year, regardless of whether he plays,as a result of picking him up?</P>

Do the Pats now have all the options and responsibilitiesthat the Giants had before claiming him on waivers?</P>

</P>

We all know the Pats are not big on throwing away money so they must have gotten him on the cheap.</P>

At this point he's gone, so let the Pats figure it out.</P>

I think we got lucky leaving Chase out there, he will do a good job for the GMEN again and mentor some of the young studs to what it takes to be a professional.</P>

RoanokeFan
06-18-2012, 09:34 AM
What are the cap implications on both sides? </p>

If the Giants maneuvered him through waivers to the PUPwould theyhave receivedsome cap relief this year?</p>

Is the same true if they did it on cut day to 75 players?</p>

Do the Patriots get any hit on their cap this year, regardless of whether he plays,as a result of picking him up?</p>

Do the Pats now have all the options and responsibilitiesthat the Giants had before claiming him on waivers?</p>

All good questions, to which I have no answers lol

I'm not a big fan of Myers, but I do believe revenge had a little to do with this maneuver.

Redeyejedi
06-18-2012, 09:39 AM
I do think the Giants beating the Pats played a role in this. That being said the Giants really screwed the Pooch on this 1. I still dont understand how camp fodder is more valuable then Jake Ballard. Had the Giants held him until 1st cuts there is a much better chance he would of made it through. The fact that Ballard can be controlled finically through 2015 made him even more valuable. The Giants cap situation is very bad and is going to get worse. To let a guy go that could start at the vet min for camp fodder is outrageous.
The agent certainly did not help the Giants out by declaring the Giants were resigning him. Other teams might of thought he was damaged had he said nothing. Instead by him declaring the Giants plans he let the league know exactly what they were doing.

RoanokeFan
06-18-2012, 09:53 AM
99% of the time these waivers are nothing more than a procedural event going mostly unnoticed. Everyone involved in the FO thought Ballard would be a GIANTS at the end of the day. 1% of the time, **** happens.

The good news is there is no immediate impact for the GIANTS as Balalrd wold not have played for us this season in any scenario. Long term effects depend on what happens at TE this season and next. If there is an element of revenge, as I believe, Ballard could well be a GIANT again in 2013.

The big question is what condition will Jake be in when all is said and done?

Hindsight gives us the ability to say dumb move. Unfortunately, hindsight isn't always predictable.

buddy33
06-18-2012, 09:58 AM
He isn't going to play his year, and as we have learned from KP and Smith it takes more than a year to get back to full speed. I wish him all the best and he makes a full recovery. Maybe even gets back on the Giants. I'm just not so sure he would have an impact for the next 2 seasons.

GMENAGAIN
06-18-2012, 10:08 AM
I cannot stand Gary Myers . . . . when I cliecked on the link to "read more" I expected to be taken to the Bleacher Report. What a hack.

TuckYou
06-18-2012, 10:36 AM
I still think he is bitter about losing those 3 straight to us, all of huge importance. I saw that documentry and thought it was awesome. He showed true emotions from his days as a Giants coach. But this was Belichick being Belichick. Showing how much of a ****** he can be. Ballard wont ever see a snap for the Pats.

GameTime
06-18-2012, 10:43 AM
the sad part is Ballard, like many players or all players to a degree, is being used as a tool here in this situation. I just hope he and his career dont get screwed from this manuever from BB. </P>

</P>

patsrule666
06-18-2012, 11:01 AM
I still think he is bitter about losing those 3 straight to us, all of huge importance. I saw that documentry and thought it was awesome. He showed true emotions from his days as a Giants coach. But this was Belichick being Belichick. Showing how much of a ****** he can be. Ballard wont ever see a snap for the Pats. I wouldnt be so sure about that. Even after his salary this year, we are still 11 million or so under the cap. Judging by the reaction of everyone here i am wondering if maybe he was a much better player than i thought. This is not the first time that we have snagged waiver guys and it wont be the last. In fact, this is looking similar to how we got Wes Welker....I really believe that we will give Mr. Ballard a long look and have every intention of him possibly being our third tight end next year..

RoanokeFan
06-18-2012, 11:04 AM
I still think he is bitter about losing those 3 straight to us, all of huge importance. I saw that documentry and thought it was awesome. He showed true emotions from his days as a Giants coach. But this was Belichick being Belichick. Showing how much of a ****** he can be. Ballard wont ever see a snap for the Pats. I wouldnt be so sure about that. Even after his salary this year, we are still 11 million or so under the cap. Judging by the reaction of everyone here i am wondering if maybe he was a much better player than i thought. This is not the first time that we have snagged waiver guys and it wont be the last. In fact, this is looking similar to how we got Wes Welker....I really believe that we will give Mr. Ballard a long look and have every intention of him possibly being our third tight end next year..

Wes Welker couldn't play his first year with the Patriots either? I didn't know that.

Toadofsteel
06-18-2012, 11:19 AM

It still sounds to me like Ballard is going to be a future replacement for Hernandez after the latter's contract expires. I didn't know about the 10 mil in cap space though...

I just think that if NE really wanted revenge, they would have beaten SF to the punch on Jacobs and Manningham. Jacobs would bring a power back to the team that doesn't have a clear rusher at all (as opposed to being behind Gore and Hunter ), and Manningham would produce just as well behind Welker and Branch as he did behind Nicks and Cruz.

gumby742
06-18-2012, 11:24 AM
I don't know. I still have issues believing the Patriots did it out of spite.</P>

JesseJames
06-18-2012, 11:37 AM
it looks to me that Reese got caught with his pants down on this business with the Pats grabbing Ballard off the waiver wire. I guess Reese underestimated Belicheks need for revenge...

patsrule666
06-18-2012, 11:41 AM

Wes Welker couldn't play his first year with the Patriots either?* I didn't know that.
haha- No he was healthy. Think of this as a 2 year investment. With Gronks salary, we will need lower salaried TE's after this year. I really hope he heals and can contribute next year because i think he would fit well in our system...You guys will have every opportunity to offer him a contract next year. We will be able to keep him by matching it.....Thats All....

patsrule666
06-18-2012, 11:49 AM

It still sounds to me like Ballard is going to be a future replacement for Hernandez after the latter's contract expires. I didn't know about the 10 mil in cap space though...

I just think that if NE really wanted revenge, they would have beaten SF to the punch on Jacobs and Manningham. Jacobs would bring a power back to the team that doesn't have a clear rusher at all (as opposed to being behind Gore and Hunter ), and Manningham would produce just as well behind Welker and Branch as he did behind Nicks and Cruz. BJ would have been a great short yardage back for us. I was actually hoping that we would have tried to get him...I think we are all set in the WR department. I am happier with Brandon Lloyd instead of Manningham...

GMENAGAIN
06-18-2012, 12:01 PM
I still think he is bitter about losing those 3 straight to us, all of huge importance. I saw that documentry and thought it was awesome. He showed true emotions from his days as a Giants coach. But this was Belichick being Belichick. Showing how much of a ****** he can be. Ballard wont ever see a snap for the Pats. I wouldnt be so sure about that. Even after his salary this year, we are still 11 million or so under the cap. Judging by the reaction of everyone here i am wondering if maybe he was a much better player than i thought. This is not the first time that we have snagged waiver guys and it wont be the last. In fact, this is looking similar to how we got Wes Welker....I really believe that we will give Mr. Ballard a long look and have every intention of him possibly being our third tight end next year.. It still sounds to me like Ballard is going to be a future replacement for Hernandez after the latter's contract expires. I didn't know about the 10 mil in cap space though... I just think that if NE really wanted revenge, they would have beaten SF to the punch on Jacobs and Manningham. Jacobs would bring a power back to the team that doesn't have a clear rusher at all (as opposed to being behind Gore and Hunter ), and Manningham would produce just as well behind Welker and Branch as he did behind Nicks and Cruz. BJ would have been a great short yardage back for us. I was actually hoping that we would have tried to get him...I think we are all set in the WR department. I am happier with Brandon Lloyd instead of Manningham...</P>

You have obviously never watched BJ in short yardage situations . . . . . </P>

jomo
06-18-2012, 12:03 PM
99% of the time these waivers are nothing more than a procedural event going mostly unnoticed. Everyone involved in the FO thought Ballard would be a GIANTS at the end of the day. 1% of the time, **** happens.

The good news is there is no immediate impact for the GIANTS as Balalrd wold not have played for us this season in any scenario. Long term effects depend on what happens at TE this season and next. If there is an element of revenge, as I believe, Ballard could well be a GIANT again in 2013.

Hindsight gives us the ability to say dumb move. Unfortunately, hindsight isn't always predictable.
......and since Ballard may never play again at a high level, "hindsight" isn't even complete yet.

RoanokeFan
06-18-2012, 02:04 PM

......and since Ballard may never play again at a high level, "hindsight" isn't even complete yet.

Absolutely right. I love Jake Ballard but we have no idea how he's going to rehab.

JesseJames
06-18-2012, 05:43 PM
from what I've read rehabbing from knee surgery is a lot more difficult for bigger heavier men and some never get back to where they were before the injury..