PDA

View Full Version : GIANTS' CHASE BLACKBURN ON DAVID WILSON: "HE REMINDS ME OF LADAINIAN TOMLINSON"

RoanokeFan
06-18-2012, 09:18 AM
GIANTS' CHASE BLACKBURN ON DAVID WILSON: "HE REMINDS ME OF LADAINIAN TOMLINSON" (http://www.giants101.com/2012/06/18/new-york-giants-chase-blackburn-on-daivd-wilson-he-reminds-me-of-ladainian-tomlinson/)

"Since being drafted in the first-round of the 2012 NFL (http://www.giants101.com/tag/nfl/) Draft by the
<a class="st_tag internal_tag" title="Posts tagged with New York Giants" href="http://www.giants101.com/tag/new-york-giants/" rel="tag nofollow">New York
Giants</a>, rookie running back <a class="st_tag internal_tag" title="Posts tagged with David Wilson" href="http://www.giants101.com/tag/david-wilson/" rel="tag nofollow">David
Wilson</a> has received nothing but tremendous praise by scouts, pundits,
coaches and teammates. A week ago, offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride said he
may be the <a href="http://www.giants101.com/2012/06/15/new-york-giants-kevin-gilbride-on-david-wilson-dont-know-if-weve-had-a-guy-as-explosive/" target="_blank">most explosive player he's ever
coached</a>. Over the weekend, that sort of next level esteem continued to be
heaped upon the rookie as linebacker <a class="st_tag internal_tag" title="Posts tagged with Chase Blackburn" href="http://www.giants101.com/tag/chase-blackburn/" rel="tag nofollow">Chase
Blackburn</a> said Wilson <a href="http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/bursting_on_the_scene_M5CnILLfrJd5xqK9dA8xiJ" target="_blank">reminded him a lot of future NFL Hall of Famer LaDainian
Tomlinson</a>.
<blockquote>

He reminds me of [Tomlinson] when I first came into the league a little bit,
just the speed and like the vision and stuff, Blackburn said.</p></blockquote>

The significance of that compliment wasn't lost on Wilson, who doesn't seem
to mind the pressure that's being put on him.</p>
<blockquote>

Hope I have the same career or better, Wilson said. "Im competitive, so
Im gonna get after it. You always gotta try to be the best, thats how I figure
it.</p></blockquote>

Considering Wilson hasn't taken so much as a single training camp snap,
expectations should probably be tempered. After all, everyone remembers the last
time the Giants drafted a running back in the first round who had similarly high
expectations. To say that didn't work out would be a bit of an
understatement.</p>

Still, Wilson has all the tools, athletic ability and instincts to be a
tremendous football (http://www.giants101.com/tag/football/)
player in the NFL (http://www.giants101.com/tag/nfl/). If he can
stay healthy, familiarize himself with the system and not float away as a result
of all of these comparisons and compliments, he stands a good chance of making
an immediate impact which is something he fully expects of himself.</p>
<blockquote>

Im going in expecting to make an immediate impact, Wilson
says.</p></blockquote>

If nothing else, this sure gives fans something to look forward to come
training camp."</p>

buddy33
06-18-2012, 09:29 AM
I liked the pick by Reese, and its nice to keep reading all these great things about him but I don wan to get to excited. It's only mini camp and there have been many who have not turned out. Not saying he won't, just don't want to get caught up in all the hype. Honestly though, I think I am buying it. I can't wait for pre season to start.

RoanokeFan
06-18-2012, 09:32 AM
I liked the pick by Reese, and its nice to keep reading all these great things about him but I don wan to get to excited. It's only mini camp and there have been many who have not turned out. Not saying he won't, just don't want to get caught up in all the hype. Honestly though, I think I am buying it. I can't wait for pre season to start.

I can tell you that in Hookie Land (Virginia Tech) this guy has saint status. I already have a friend asking me to get her a GIANTS Wilson jersey. He has quite a following here.

buddy33
06-18-2012, 09:43 AM
Just hope he OL is better so all the RB's can be better this year.

RoanokeFan
06-18-2012, 09:57 AM
Just hope he OL is better so all the RB's can be better this year.

I think the key this year may well be Hynoski who has a pretty good rookie year behind him. The OLine, if they can stay healthy, should be a better unit at the start of the season and get better as they play as a unit. When you play as poorly as the OLine did last year, it "almost" has to get better.

I think the real question for Wilson, as it is for all rookies, is how quickly the get through the college to NFL learning curve.

embeshAtYa
06-18-2012, 10:19 AM
Sounds like if he can learn the offense his skills set alone will be be enough

MikeIsaGiant
06-18-2012, 10:29 AM
That would be nice. Kid looks promising so far according to teammates

TuckYou
06-18-2012, 10:30 AM
I dont think there is any question the kid can run the ball and is explosive. The question remains if he can learn to pick up blitzes and is physical enough to stop a Demarcus Ware or Brian Orakpo from hitting Eli,and learn to hold on to the rock. </P>

gumby742
06-18-2012, 12:35 PM
All I want is a back that can pick up 1 or 2 yards when we need it. Eli and company will take care of the rest.

NoHuddle10
06-18-2012, 01:20 PM
That was exactly who I said he reminded me of after we drafted him. I thought I would get blasted for such a bold claim. Glad Chase agrees.

Cool Papa B.
06-18-2012, 01:25 PM
I like the compliments, but geez don't give the kid a swelled head. Keep him humble and make him work hard.

fourth&forever
06-18-2012, 08:26 PM
When carrying the ball Wilson can deliver a powerful pop and also has powerful finish to his runs. If he can learn to sustain a pass block, he'll be playing day one. We already know he can 'hit'.

giantsfan420
06-18-2012, 08:38 PM
he has tremendous leg drive which is something Tomilson used to maintain his success. he alsom reminds me of LT2 in that LT2 also loves to pop the run outside and Wilson has a knack to do that too. LT2 tho was great inbetween the tackles for much of his career and Wilson has shown he has the capability its just about doing it.

Wilson reminds me of the burst, quickness, and shiftiness that a Mccoy has. But he also reminds me of the grittiness, toughness, stop and start running of a Bradshaw.

I just cant wait to see this kid catch a check down pass in the flats and have room to operate...thats where i think he will be his most dangerous outside simply running the rock

i do believe JR woulda taken Wilson even if Martin was available, something i didnt believe early after drafting him...

fourth&forever
06-18-2012, 08:44 PM
he has tremendous leg drive which is something Tomilson used to maintain his success. he alsom reminds me of LT2 in that LT2 also loves to pop the run outside and Wilson has a knack to do that too. LT2 tho was great inbetween the tackles for much of his career and Wilson has shown he has the capability its just about doing it.

Wilson reminds me of the burst, quickness, and shiftiness that a Mccoy has. But he also reminds me of the grittiness, toughness, stop and start running of a Bradshaw.

I just cant wait to see this kid catch a check down pass in the flats and have room to operate...thats where i think he will be his most dangerous outside simply running the rock
Looking at all the highlight films, I agree with you. But it also looks like he has alot of other valuable talents as well. My favorite one is he is a north/south runner. Takes it straight upfield as soon as possible. Likes to make one quick move and fire towards daylight. He seems to be good at finding holes too. Also he can be patient and use his blockers effectively. I must say I'm quite excited to see him show his stuff. Dare I hope he can be as good as Rodney Hampton?

giantsfan420
06-18-2012, 08:50 PM

Looking at all the highlight films, I agree with you. But it also looks like he has alot of other valuable talents as well. My favorite one is he is a north/south runner. Takes it straight upfield as soon as possible. Likes to make one quick move and fire towards daylight. He seems to be good at finding holes too. Also he can be patient and use his blockers effectively. I must say I'm quite excited to see him show his stuff. Dare I hope he can be as good as Rodney Hampton?

i agree with this.

wilson doesnt waste many steps. every stride is direct and calculated. he gets moving upfield damn fast when he decides to do so, however, he does have an issue of forcing things to the outside a lil too much but thats just how college ball is played i guess...

cant wait to see how hes used, KG seems smitten with him, he could be limited early or for much of this year but i absolutely expect wilson to be the back in shotgun formations on day 1

Breezely
06-18-2012, 08:55 PM
Dude is a player. I believe he's the real deal. Gotta fix the fumble thing and I believe the Giants found something with this guy.

Roswell777
06-18-2012, 09:26 PM
If he picks up the blitz as well as Bradshaw, then Coughlin will have enough faith in him to give him the touches to make big plays for the O.

miked1958
06-18-2012, 10:00 PM
Dude is a player. I believe he's the real deal. Gotta fix the fumble thing and I believe the Giants found something with this guy.Odd we,have to speedy/elusive backs (Wilson, Scott) that both have a problem with fumbles

miked1958
06-18-2012, 10:01 PM
Tiki did as well as AB until they made adjustments in their games. Holding ball different

lawl
06-19-2012, 02:05 AM
Tomlinson was great at losing in the playoffs amd sucking up cap space

Toadofsteel
06-19-2012, 02:17 AM
Tiki did as well as AB until they made adjustments in their games. Holding ball different

This is why i'm not worried about Wilson's fumbleitis in the slightest... TC fixed up Tiki, he fixed up AB, there's no reason he can't fix up the volleyball...

buddy33
06-19-2012, 08:54 AM
The fumbling problem can be fixed. When watching videos of Wilson it seems like he loses the ball when fighting for more yards like Bradshaw was doing. Bradshaw fixed the problem last year.

G-Man67
06-19-2012, 10:48 AM
i love hearing this stuff ... but can we not put too much pressure on him !