PDA

View Full Version : Cycler busted for manslaughter (good read for those of us who live in the city)

THE_New_York_Giants
06-18-2012, 10:00 PM
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303410404577466990820318610.html#a rticleTabs%3Darticle

I hate to get political (to the mods) but i want to see the opinion of other New Yorkers on this subject.

It's about time cyclists got charged for something. I know this is San Francisco, but this is a minute away from coming to NY. I can't count the number of times I've had the right away and almost gotten hit by a cyclist running a red light screaming crap at me and threatening to hit me. They are required to follow the same rules as cars, but are never held accountable. Maybe this will give cyclers incentive to actually follow the rules and not be such tools.

For example, if a cycler runs a red and gets hit, they are responsible for any and all damage, though, but cyclists don't care about the rules of the road.

buffyblue
06-19-2012, 01:57 PM
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303410404577466990820318610.html#a rticleTabs%3Darticle

I hate to get political (to the mods) but i want to see the opinion of other New Yorkers on this subject.

It's about time cyclists got charged for something. I know this is San Francisco, but this is a minute away from coming to NY. I can't count the number of times I've had the right away and almost gotten hit by a cyclist running a red light screaming crap at me and threatening to hit me. They are required to follow the same rules as cars, but are never held accountable. Maybe this will give cyclers incentive to actually follow the rules and not be such tools.

For example, if a cycler runs a red and gets hit, they are responsible for any and all damage, though, but cyclists don't care about the rules of the road.

I am an avid cyclist stick to bike lanes when I am on the road and I adhere to the same laws that govern cars. I always yield to pedesttians and unfortinately this is something a lot of other cyclists do not follow. I hate dealng with motorists because a lot of them don't pay attention to cyclists. Usually I put my bike on my car rack and drive to bike trails so I don't have to deal with motorists.

The cyclist should be charged and I hooe that other cyclists will realize to yield the right of way and to be wary of pedestrians.

THE_New_York_Giants
06-19-2012, 08:50 PM

I am an avid cyclist stick to bike lanes when I am on the road and I adhere to the same laws that govern cars. I always yield to pedesttians and unfortinately this is something a lot of other cyclists do not follow. I hate dealng with motorists because a lot of them don't pay attention to cyclists. Usually I put my bike on my car rack and drive to bike trails so I don't have to deal with motorists.

The cyclist should be charged and I hooe that other cyclists will realize to yield the right of way and to be wary of pedestrians.

As well as stopping at red lights and signaling when changing lanes.

Redeyejedi
06-19-2012, 11:06 PM

For example, if a cycler runs a red and gets hit, they are responsible for any and all damage, though, but cyclists don't care about the rules of the road.I had 1 of thes guys crash into the back of my car once get up and flee the scene.

THE_New_York_Giants
06-19-2012, 11:46 PM

For example, if a cycler runs a red and gets hit, they are responsible for any and all damage, though, but cyclists don't care about the rules of the road.I had 1 of thes guys crash into the back of my car once get up and flee the scene.

Shoulda gotten out and sprinted and thrown him off of his bike. One hit me once when I was walking and I grabbed him before he could speed off and threw him to the pavement and called the cops. They let him off with a ticket.