PDA

View Full Version : Would you want Fassel...

yoeddy
06-19-2012, 04:19 PM
...as QB coach? Just curious...

miked1958
06-19-2012, 04:20 PM
...as QB coach? Just curious...Wouldn't be totally opposed to it, but our WRs coach Sean Ryan was promoted to QBs Coach back in March by TC

JJC7301
06-19-2012, 04:26 PM
No problem, as long as he's as good as advertised. I feel horrible for Fassel not having any type of coaching gigs, at least as an OC, since he lost his gig as HC of the Giants.

I don't think that Fassel is the type of person to ruffle any feathers because he used to be the HC. He doesn't have an ego, and he's a good guy who loved the Giants organization.

miked1958
06-19-2012, 04:28 PM
However Mike Sullivan will be really hard to replace... May as well promote from within and get a guy that knows our system first hand rather then bring in someone that will want to make a bunch of changes and put his own stamp on it. We don't need that. We just need someone like Ryan to continue doing whatever Sullivan was doing. The old saying.... If its not broke...........

miked1958
06-19-2012, 04:29 PM
Good luck to Mike at TB being there new OC... We will see him in 2nd or 3rd game of season

miked1958
06-19-2012, 04:31 PM
No problem, as long as he's as good as advertised. I feel horrible for Fassel not having any type of coaching gigs, at least as an OC, since he lost his gig as HC of the Giants.

I don't think that Fassel is the type of person to ruffle any feathers because he used to be the HC. He doesn't have an ego, and he's a good guy who loved the Giants organization.Am I wrong about Ryan being promoted 3 months ago? Why is this even being brought up? Are the giants not satisfied with advancing Ryan or is this just some posters opinion? To my knowledge the job isn't open

Harooni
06-19-2012, 04:41 PM
he might be a better OC than gilbride really.

thomsoad
06-19-2012, 04:46 PM
He would never do it but I wouldnt be opposed to it.

Fassel kinda gets a bum rap...its a shame he never got another HC gig. Any credentials he had just got totally shafted as an OC for the Ravens.

CGYgiant
06-19-2012, 04:47 PM

If this is true. Then in your crazy little world, Derrick Ward must be better then Tiki Barber, right?

G-Man67
06-19-2012, 04:56 PM
...as QB coach? Just curious... No problem, as long as he's as good as advertised. I feel horrible for Fassel not having any type of coaching gigs, at least as an OC, since he lost his gig as HC of the Giants. I don't think that Fassel is the type of person to ruffle any feathers because he used to be the HC. He doesn't have an ego, and he's a good guy who loved the Giants organization.</P>

i agree with you about Jim ... he deserved a chance somewhere else, at least as an OC ... he improved our O significantly and brought us to a Super Bowl</P>

i think his time trying to help Billick out with the Ravens O ... along with the very negative NY media that depicted his locker room as a mess ... really hurt him ... then he ended up almost being unoffically black balled by the NFL</P>

Harooni
06-19-2012, 05:10 PM

If this is true. Then in your crazy little world, Derrick Ward must be better then Tiki Barber, right?

I said might be, ravens did not have great weapons on offense. Fassel was a good play caller and Sean peyton learned under him.

Rat_bastich
06-19-2012, 05:23 PM

I said might be, ravens did not have great weapons on offense. Fassel was a good play caller and Sean peyton learned under him.

Actually he got more of his knowledge from Andy Reid and John Gruden...his head coach and offensive coordinator with the Egirls respectively.

Payton's first year he opened it up. The year he had '*War and Peace" it actually flopped.

*War and Peace was what he referred to his plays after bragging what they did the year prior. He said something to the effect...if you thought last year was good, this year we have War and Peace...or somesuch.

Firenugget
06-19-2012, 05:25 PM
No.

Not because I don't like him or feel he's a bad coach (the opposite is the truth actually) but bringing in a former HC would create issues. The media would make certain of that.

yoeddy
06-19-2012, 05:26 PM

Based on what? In his entire career as an OC, he's never had an offense ranked higher than 15th in the league...

yoeddy
06-19-2012, 05:29 PM

He did not do great in AZ as OC either, and he had some talent there (David Boston, Frank Sanders, etc). His best track record is as a QB coach...

NYG 5
06-20-2012, 07:02 PM

I don't think that Fassel is the type of person to ruffle any feathers because he used to be the HC. He doesn't have an ego, and he's a good guy who loved the Giants organization.

well, he was the kind of guy who couldn't be bothered with personally overseeing the special teams department.

i think his biggest indictments against him was never being able to get the special teams down, lobbying EA to draft Dayne, the team coming out flat against bad teams, and according to Toomer, abandoning aspects of the Minny game in the super bowl gameplan.

although I always felt he just was jinxed with bad luck. when Armstead got the pick six, the game seemed to be going according to plan. plus, theres the freak occurrences like calloway muffing the onside kick, dropped touchdowns, kicks out of bounds, etc.

nycisgreat
06-21-2012, 03:04 PM

I think Fassel was a good coach with the pieces that he had. The level of Talent Fassel had on his Giants teams are no where near what Coughlin had since he has been here. Honestly, I am very surprised he never got another gig in the NFL. The guy really knows offense. If Gilbride get a H.C. gig after this upcoming season, I wouldn't mind Fassel being our O.C.

burier
06-21-2012, 03:13 PM
Fassel can coach.

Made chicken soup out of chicken something else his entire time here.

The situation in Baltimore shouldn't even be considered. He was brought in to run Billicks BS offense and was never able implement his own philosophy...then was thrown under the bus by his so called friend.

Sean Payton is supposed to be some kind of genius. Someone said he didn't learn as much under Fassel but how do we know?

Right because he said so...Of course him not giving Fassel any credit couldn't possibly have anything to do with Fassel removing him as the playcaller.

And I might add that offense took off when Fassel did so.

Toomer actually looked like like a Top 5 Wr during that stretch.

Collins finally seemed like a legit starter.

Fassel's teams did come out flat against inferior opponents... Glad Coughlin came in and fixed that/red

And had a few special teams dibacles.

Glad Coughlin came in and fixed that as well./red

Gilbride gets on my nerves but he's done enough that he really shouldn't have to lobby to keep his job. But if there was an opening I'd love to have Fassel back.

Cool Papa B.
06-21-2012, 03:21 PM
My first reaction to this thread was no way would Fassel come back to the Giants for any coaching position. He's a good coach, but he burned some bridges while he was here. But then again, Wellington Mara, Robert Tisch and Accorsi are all gone. Maybe the new guard in the front office can give him a 2nd chance to let him work his way up. Starting with the QB coach and maybe the heir to HC job when Coughlin decides to retire.

I doubt they would do it, but I can see the possibilities.

thomsoad
06-21-2012, 03:26 PM
Fassel can coach.

Fassel's teams did come out flat against inferior opponents... Glad Coughlin came in and fixed that/red

OK. That had me LOL at the office just now. :) I still remember Paytons "Bunch" packages. Nothing more embarrassing then watching our receivers banging into each other cuz they were so freakin close to each other all they would do is trip over each others feet. 4 WR's on one side of the field and Collins gets his ***** handed to em cuz they none of em are still standing up.

burier
06-21-2012, 03:38 PM
Fassel can coach.

OK. That had me LOL at the office just now. :) I still remember Paytons "Bunch" packages. Nothing more embarrassing then watching our receivers banging into each other cuz they were so freakin close to each other all they would do is trip over each others feet. 4 WR's on one side of the field and Collins gets his ***** handed to em cuz they none of em are still standing up.

It was against the Eagles The Giants in the redzone...around the 5 and Payton calls...A REVERSE...Fumble..turnover no points.

My fondest memory of Sean Payton as Giants OC.

NYG 5
06-21-2012, 04:05 PM

I think Fassel was a good coach with the pieces that he had. The level of Talent Fassel had on his Giants teams are no where near what Coughlin had since he has been here. Honestly, I am very surprised he never got another gig in the NFL. The guy really knows offense. If Gilbride get a H.C. gig after this upcoming season, I wouldn't mind Fassel being our O.C.

the thing I wonder, were talent issues because of EA's bad drafts, or Fassel lobbying for the wrong players? you always see Coughlin staking the crap out of the players at the NFL combine. did Fassel do that? or did he just give EA a list of needs. i was too young to know what really went on in the Fassel regime

i think Fassel was his own OC who needed scouts to find him players, and Coughlin is his own GM who needs coordinators to use them.

I Bleed Blue
06-21-2012, 06:57 PM

Don't see the need for it, but I would not be opposed either. However, I will say this about Fassel, he had the Eagles number. His style of offense gave the great Jim Johnson's defense headaches.

All that changed when the play calling was turned over to Peyton. When Fassel yanked the playbook away from him, the offense took off again. Fassel was also a victim of Johnny Lynn. He chose the wrong guy and he paid the price. John Foxx was sorely missed.

jomo
06-21-2012, 07:14 PM
Nice guy, bad idea as a coach.

I Bleed Blue
06-21-2012, 07:45 PM
Nice guy, bad idea as a coach.

I disagree. Do you remember the state of the Giants before he arrived? They were atrocious. He actually gave this team an offensive identity, once he inserted Collins into the starting lineup. He did take the Giants to the Super Bowl, but unfortunately, he ran into the best one season defense ever.

Yes, better than the 85 Bears. Look up the stats. No NFC team was going to beat that defense. They were on a "NOT GOING TO BE DENIED!" mission. Sounds Familiar? Fassel's time simply ran out.

jomo
06-21-2012, 07:54 PM
Nice guy, bad idea as a coach. I disagree. Do you remember the state of the Giants before he arrived? They were atrocious. He actually gave this team an offensive identity, once he inserted Collins into the starting lineup. He did take the Giants to the Super Bowl, but unfortunately, he ran into the best one season defense ever. Yes, better than the 85 Bears. Look up the stats. No NFC team was going to beat that defense. They were on a "NOT GOING TO BE DENIED!" mission. Sounds Familiar? Fassel's time simply ran out.I do remember Jim. It was a depressing time for us except for that one late season run. The inmates were running the prison and chaos ruled the day. It was the basis for Tiki and Shockey and the me generation. Under TC we moved to the we generation. Thanfully, order returned to the locker room as did our winning tradition. I would love Fassell as a neighbor, not a coach at any level. IMO

Morehead State
06-21-2012, 08:00 PM
My first reaction to this thread was no way would Fassel come back to the Giants for any coaching position. He's a good coach, but he burned some bridges while he was here. But then again, Wellington Mara, Robert Tisch and Accorsi are all gone. Maybe the new guard in the front office can give him a 2nd chance to let him work his way up. Starting with the QB coach and maybe the heir to HC job when Coughlin decides to retire. I doubt they would do it, but I can see the possibilities.</P>

Fassell didn't burn any bridges here. He agreed to be fired and then coached the last 2 games. No bad blood at all with our organization.</P>

Don't forget that we were carppy for several years and he took an overachieving team to the SB in 2000.</P>

No dislike or lack of respect for Fassell from me. The guy is a solid football coach. And was thrown under the bus by his "friend" Brian Billick.</P>

Cool Papa B.
06-21-2012, 08:07 PM
My first reaction to this thread was no way would Fassel come back to the Giants for any coaching position. He's a good coach, but he burned some bridges while he was here. But then again, Wellington Mara, Robert Tisch and Accorsi are all gone. Maybe the new guard in the front office can give him a 2nd chance to let him work his way up. Starting with the QB coach and maybe the heir to HC job when Coughlin decides to retire. I doubt they would do it, but I can see the possibilities.</P>

Fassell didn't burn any bridges here.* He agreed to be fired and then coached the last 2 games. No bad blood at all with our organization.</P>

Don't forget that we were carppy for several years and he took an overachieving team to the SB in 2000.</P>

No dislike or lack of respect for Fassell from me.* The guy is a solid football coach.* And was thrown under the bus by his "friend" Brian Billick.</P>

I thought Mara didn't like some of his off the field activities. Particularly his drinking.

jomo
06-21-2012, 08:14 PM

Fassell didn't burn any bridges here. He agreed to be fired and then coached the last 2 games. No bad blood at all with our organization.</P>

No dislike or lack of respect for Fassell from me. The guy is a solid football coach. And was thrown under the bus by his "friend" Brian Billick.</P>............or he failed here and failed there.

Joe Morrison
06-21-2012, 08:54 PM

No dislike or lack of respect for Fassell from me. The guy is a solid football coach. And was thrown under the bus by his "friend" Brian Billick.</P>

............or he failed here and failed there.</P>

Fassel had no shot with what he had to work with at Baltimore, I think he could be a good coach in the NFL but not with the GMEN right now. Fassel is offense and Gilly isn't going anywhere as long as Tom's here.</P>

Morehead State
06-21-2012, 08:54 PM

Failed? How is that? We won a NFC chamionship for the first time in 10 years with him. He also won a division with Danny Kannell as our QB. Thats a friggin miracle.</P>

No Fassell was far from an unsuccessful coach. He was also John Elway's mentor and coach at Stanford and he turned out OK the last I checked.</P>

jomo
06-21-2012, 09:07 PM

Failed? How is that? We won a NFC chamionship for the first time in 10 years with him. He also won a division with Danny Kannell as our QB. Thats a friggin miracle.</P>

No Fassell was far from an unsuccessful coach. He was also John Elway's mentor and coach at Stanford and he turned out OK the last I checked.</P>

Danny Kannell lol, I have no response for that one. Why did you have to remind me? You win.</P>

What I do recall from that era was a weak, indecicive coach who lost control of the team and empowered the guys who would make Eli's development more difficult. Mentoring a world class QB for me is a non-starter. You or I could havehung around Elway and claimed that honor.</P>

How do we excuse the Baltimore debacle?</P>

GiantLife615
06-21-2012, 09:13 PM
You know who I wanted as a QB coach.. Jim Zorn

Morehead State
06-21-2012, 09:16 PM

Danny Kannell lol, I have no response for that one. Why did you have to remind me? You win.</P>

What I do recall from that era was a weak, indecicive coach who lost control of the team and empowered the guys who would make Eli's development more difficult. Mentoring a world class QB for me is a non-starter. You or I could havehung around Elway and claimed that honor.</P>

</P>

The only thing that happened in Baltimore is that his buddy Billick threw him under the bus. Don't forget how bad the Baltimore offense was after Billick took over the play calling. They sucked and got beat at home by Indy, scoring a whopping 6 points.</P>

As far as our SB vs. Baltimore..they were just a far better team than we were. Their defense was way too physical for our finesse and aging O line.</P>

And remember how well our offense played after Fassell took over for Payton in 2000. remember Fassell "pushing his chips to the center of the table". That was awesome.</P>

The "he lost the team" claim was way overblown. he lost the entire team to injuries, including Kerry Collins who was cheap shotted by Bruce Smith.</P>

No...there are only 3 coaches in Giants history who took us to the SB, and JF was one of them. And he did it with a mediocre team.</P>

Tommy_Ribs
06-21-2012, 09:21 PM
It would never happen, but yes, I would have ZERO qualms about bringing Fassel in.

In fact I often tell people that if my team had a young QB that needed work, Fassel would be a guy I would want to bring in to work with him.

Fassel is a good Football coach.

byron
06-21-2012, 10:08 PM
It would never happen, but yes, I would have ZERO qualms about bringing Fassel in.

In fact I often tell people that if my team had a young QB that needed work, Fassel would be a guy I would want to bring in to work with him.

yes he was/is .....</P>

remember this one 41--0</P>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQoCNM3d_ak&amp;feature=relmfu</P>

byron
06-21-2012, 10:09 PM

</P>

The only thing that happened in Baltimore is that his buddy Billick threw him under the bus. Don't forget how bad the Baltimore offense was after Billick took over the play calling. They sucked and got beat at home by Indy, scoring a whopping 6 points.</P>

As far as our SB vs. Baltimore..they were just a far better team than we were. Their defense was way too physical for our finesse and aging O line.</P>

And remember how well our offense played after Fassell took over for Payton in 2000. remember Fassell "pushing his chips to the center of the table". That was awesome.</P>

The "he lost the team" claim was way overblown. he lost the entire team to injuries, including Kerry Collins who was cheap shotted by Bruce Smith.</P>

No...there are only 3 coaches in Giants history who took us to the SB, and JF was one of them. And he did it with a mediocre team.</P>Agree with everything here MH ....

jomo
06-21-2012, 10:14 PM

</P>

No...there are only 3 coaches in Giants history who took us to the SB, and JF was one of them. And he did it with a mediocre team.</P>

Wow, it seems like I missed all the good stuff during his tenure. I was either working too much or drinking too much lol. [B]</P>

I remember pain more vividlythan pleasure.</P>

Morehead State
06-21-2012, 10:20 PM

</P>

Wow, it seems like I missed all the good stuff during his tenure. I was either working too much or drinking too much lol. [B]</P>

</P>

What I remember about Jim Fassell was that he was a very good football coach and a successful HC with our beloved team.</P>

I'll remember the good stuff and you can dwell on the bad if you like.</P>

jomo
06-21-2012, 10:42 PM

</P>

</P>

What I remember about Jim Fassell was that he was a very good football coach and a successful HC with our beloved team.</P>

I'll remember the good stuff and you can dwell on the bad if you like.</P>Not dwelling really, just a knee jerk reaction. Haven't thought about the guy in a few years but then I hear "Fassell" and I say ouch. I think he'd be a really nice neighbor.

GOBIGBLUE52
06-22-2012, 12:47 AM

yes he was/is .....</p>

remember this one 41--0</p>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQoCNM3d_ak&amp;feature=relmfu</p>

My dad was at this game. I was too young but have seen the recording since. Even though we've had so many more wins like that or better since then, this one still is I think the most dominating performance in Giants history. The game was over within 2 minutes and everyone in the stadium was going crazy.

Toadofsteel
06-22-2012, 09:22 AM
I'd love to see Fassel on our coaching staff again. I don't know about any eventual HC gigs, but he'd be nice to have around. He knows what he's doing, and most of his "failures" were other people being ****s to him (Billick) or being forced to work with mediocre teams. Yeah he lost the SB in 2000, but a lot of people consider the 2000 Ravens defense to be on the same level as the 1985 Bears. Had we won that SB, Fassel would have essentially been immortalized in Giants lore. But then we would have been a stronger team in the early 2000s, which means we wouldn't have been in a position to trade for Eli... who would probably have ended up a Jet. So, yes, I like Fassel, but I'm happy things turned out the way they did...

The only thing I don't like is that he empowered "me-first" personalities like Shockey and Tiki, hell even Strahan (remember how he was before he finally came around to Coughlin's mentality)...

I also have to give Fassel credit for why I am a Giants fan today. I was born just too late to remember the Simms/Taylor era, and my first memory of the Giants was Dave Brown. Hardly something to be a fan of. I was actually, to my shame, a fortywhiner fan for a while. I was 6 years old, but they knocked off the cowboys in the playoffs and prevented them from three-peating. And since in my own personal memory the Giants hadn't done anything special, they weren't a team I thought about. But then the Giants made it to the SB in 2000, and even though they lost, I've been a fan of Big Blue ever since...</p>

yoeddy
06-22-2012, 09:51 AM

Fassell didn't burn any bridges here.* He agreed to be fired and then coached the last 2 games. No bad blood at all with our organization.</P>

No dislike or lack of respect for Fassell from me.* The guy is a solid football coach.* And was thrown under the bus by his "friend" Brian Billick.</P>

Failed?* How is that?* We won a NFC chamionship for the first time in 10 years with him.* He also won a division with Danny Kannell as our QB.* Thats a friggin miracle.</P>

I give him props for the SB appearance, but overall I believe his "success" was a product of schedule...his Giants teams never had consecutive winning seasons; he had winning seasons when playing a last-place schedule and losing seasons when playing first-place schedules. From a character standpoint, Fassel was never a guy I ever felt embodied The Giants, their pride, and their spirit. QB coach, he was very good (though very dependent on the Bill Walsh west coast system for his success)...was never enamoured by him as OC or head coach...

yoeddy
06-22-2012, 09:56 AM

Failed?* How is that?* We won a NFC chamionship for the first time in 10 years with him.* He also won a division with Danny Kannell as our QB.* Thats a friggin miracle.</P>

What I do recall from that era was a weak, indecicive coach who lost control of the team and empowered the guys who would make Eli's development more difficult. Mentoring a world class QB for me is a non-starter. You or I could have*hung around Elway and claimed that honor.</P>

</P>

The only thing that happened in Baltimore is that his buddy Billick threw him under the bus.* Don't forget how bad the Baltimore offense was after Billick took over the play calling.* They sucked and got beat at home by Indy, scoring a whopping 6 points.</P>

As far as our SB vs. Baltimore..they were just a far better team than we were.* Their defense was way too physical for our finesse and aging O line.</P>

And remember how well our offense played after Fassell took over for Payton in 2000.* remember Fassell "pushing his chips to the center of the table".* That was awesome.</P>

The "he lost the team" claim was way overblown.* he lost the entire team to injuries, including Kerry Collins who was cheap shotted by Bruce Smith.</P>

No...there are only 3 coaches in Giants history who took us to the SB, and JF was one of them.* And he did it with a mediocre team.</P>

I thought the "pushing his chips..." thing was really cheesy...

GMENAGAIN
06-22-2012, 10:01 AM

</P>

It's very strange to me that Fassell has gotten so few coaching opportunities since he left the Giants. Much lesser coaches than Fassell have gotten multiple NFL opportunities. </P>

There has to be some other information out there that is scaring off teams. The "whisper" at one pointwas that Fassell wasn't the hardest worker in the world . . . . don't know if that's what is keeping NFL teams away . . . </P>

burier
06-22-2012, 10:44 AM

What I do recall from that era was a weak, indecicive coach who lost control of the team and empowered the guys who would make Eli's development more difficult. Mentoring a world class QB for me is a non-starter. You or I could have*hung around Elway and claimed that honor.</P>

</P>

The only thing that happened in Baltimore is that his buddy Billick threw him under the bus.* Don't forget how bad the Baltimore offense was after Billick took over the play calling.* They sucked and got beat at home by Indy, scoring a whopping 6 points.</P>

As far as our SB vs. Baltimore..they were just a far better team than we were.* Their defense was way too physical for our finesse and aging O line.</P>

And remember how well our offense played after Fassell took over for Payton in 2000.* remember Fassell "pushing his chips to the center of the table".* That was awesome.</P>

The "he lost the team" claim was way overblown.* he lost the entire team to injuries, including Kerry Collins who was cheap shotted by Bruce Smith.</P>

No...there are only 3 coaches in Giants history who took us to the SB, and JF was one of them.* And he did it with a mediocre team.</P>

You're in rare form.

Dead on with every point. I don't understand how people can look back at fassel and not appreciate the fact we were competitive every single season he was coaching but his final season...and we were competitive until the injuries came.

Side note: That's what I call decimated by injury. Not what happened to us last season.

Fassel got production out of Danny Kanell AND Dave Brown..AND Kent Graham...AND Kerry Collins. He had every QB here playing beyond their god given talents.

It hurt to lose in the Superbowl but its not like we were exactly supposed to be in the Superbowl to begin with based on the talent we fielded at that time.

Fassel was a total overachiever while he was here.

yoeddy
06-22-2012, 01:38 PM
Dead on with every point. I don't understand how people can look back at fassel and not appreciate the fact we were competitive every single season he was coaching but his final season...and we were competitive until the injuries came.

Fassel only had 3 winning seasons in the 7 years he was here. And in those 3 seasons, he went 2-3 in the playoffs. Not sure how that translates into being " ...competitive every single season he was coaching but his final season".

Morehead State
06-22-2012, 02:44 PM
Dead on with every point. I don't understand how people can look back at fassel and not appreciate the fact we were competitive every single season he was coaching but his final season...and we were competitive until the injuries came. Fassel only had 3 winning seasons in the 7 years he was here. And in those 3 seasons, he went 2-3 in the playoffs. Not sure how that translates into being " ...competitive every single season he was coaching but his final season".</P>

Well we went 10-6 with one WR in 2002. he won a division with Danny Kannell as QB in 1997, and went to a SB with mediocre talent in 2000. He also took Kerry Collins off the junk heap and turned him into a very good QB.</P>

The guy can coach. As a motivator? I don't know. But the notion that he's not a good enough coach to be our QB coach makes no sense to me.</P>

I enjoyed the years with Fassell.</P>

burier
06-22-2012, 03:38 PM

Fassel only had 3 winning seasons in the 7 years he was here. And in those 3 seasons, he went 2-3 in the playoffs. Not sure how that translates into being " ...competitive every single season he was coaching but his final season".

I think a team that makes the playoffs or is in the playoff hunt in Decemember is competitive.

NYG 5
06-22-2012, 04:11 PM
Look at it this way. He's 2-3 in the postseason, sure.

But out of the 3 losses, the team had commanding leads until the football gods took a dump on the team. In 97 there was the fluke onside kick, and in 2002, I point out Kenny Holmes getting injured, and then Garcia suddenly having open running lanes off 16:00:53 all the time.

And the super bowl, the game was winnable in the second quarter. If Shaun Williams doesn't blow coverage because he missed practice because o injury, and Kerry Collins doesn't have a streak of insanity when he threw it up for grabs in the red zone, that game could have been very different. It wasn't quite the blowout that the highlight reels like to make. It wasn't like the 49ers going up and down the field launching heat against the broncos, with Elway getting pummeled all game in that super bowl.

I just think God Hates Fassel

byron
06-22-2012, 05:19 PM
we already got a fossil coaching this team......I'm just kidding!

yoeddy
06-22-2012, 05:29 PM
Dead on with every point. I don't understand how people can look back at fassel and not appreciate the fact we were competitive every single season he was coaching but his final season...and we were competitive until the injuries came. Fassel only had 3 winning seasons in the 7 years he was here. And in those 3 seasons, he went 2-3 in the playoffs. Not sure how that translates into being " ...competitive every single season he was coaching but his final season".</P>

Well we went 10-6 with one WR in 2002.* he won a division with Danny Kannell as QB in 1997, and went to a SB with mediocre talent in 2000.* He also took Kerry Collins off the junk heap and turned him into a very good QB.</P>

The guy can coach.* As a motivator?* I don't know.* But the notion that he's not a good enough coach to be our QB coach makes no sense to me.</P>

I enjoyed the years with Fassell.</P>

I think he has a very good track record as a QB coach, which is why I started this thread. But I also believe that a team is a reflection of its head coach, and all the "lack of talent" endemic of the Fassel era is an indication that he was not a very good developer of talent and was only able to generate winning seasons off of weak schedules...so as a head coach, I am not a fan of Fassel at all...

yoeddy
06-22-2012, 05:31 PM

I think a team that makes the playoffs or is in the playoff hunt in Decemember is competitive.

I guess we have different standards then..IMHO the baseline definition of a competitive team is one that makes the playoffs (not just vie for it in December).

yoeddy
06-22-2012, 05:33 PM
Look at it this way. He's 2-3 in the postseason, sure.

But out of the 3 losses, the team had commanding leads until the football gods took a dump on the team. In 97 there was the fluke onside kick, and in 2002, I point out Kenny Holmes getting injured, and then Garcia suddenly having open running lanes off 16:00:53 all the time.

And the super bowl, the game was winnable in the second quarter. If Shaun Williams doesn't blow coverage because he missed practice because o injury, and Kerry Collins doesn't have a streak of insanity when he threw it up for grabs in the red zone, that game could have been very different. It wasn't quite the blowout that the highlight reels like to make. It wasn't like the 49ers going up and down the field launching heat against the broncos, with Elway getting pummeled all game in that super bowl.

I just think God Hates Fassel

I was looking more at the fact that he only made the playoffs 3 out of 7 seasons...and never did it in consecutive seasons...

Morehead State
06-22-2012, 05:44 PM
Dead on with every point. I don't understand how people can look back at fassel and not appreciate the fact we were competitive every single season he was coaching but his final season...and we were competitive until the injuries came. Fassel only had 3 winning seasons in the 7 years he was here. And in those 3 seasons, he went 2-3 in the playoffs. Not sure how that translates into being " ...competitive every single season he was coaching but his final season". I think a team that makes the playoffs or is in the playoff hunt in Decemember is competitive. I guess we have different standards then..IMHO the baseline definition of a competitive team is one that makes the playoffs (not just vie for it in December).</P>

I don't know how old you are but if you were around for the 70's teams you wouldn't be saying that.</P>

My first playoff game with the Giants came at ago 23, after 15 years as a Giants fan.</P>

yoeddy
06-22-2012, 07:33 PM
Dead on with every point. I don't understand how people can look back at fassel and not appreciate the fact we were competitive every single season he was coaching but his final season...and we were competitive until the injuries came. Fassel only had 3 winning seasons in the 7 years he was here. And in those 3 seasons, he went 2-3 in the playoffs. Not sure how that translates into being " ...competitive every single season he was coaching but his final season". I think a team that makes the playoffs or is in the playoff hunt in Decemember is competitive. I guess we have different standards then..IMHO the baseline definition of a competitive team is one that makes the playoffs (not just vie for it in December).</P>

I don't know how old you are but if you were around for the 70's teams you wouldn't be saying that.</P>

My first playoff game with the Giants came at ago 23, after 15 years as a Giants fan.</P>

You mean I can't be a fan of a team that isn't competitive? I was a NJ Nets fan for a long time, from the Sam Bowie/Mookie Blaylock days...not a very competitive organization...

Fwiw, I'm 47, and I became a Giants fan in 1983 when Parcells named Scott Brunner as the starting QB...Brunner was from a nearby town near my hometown, and it was cool to see him on the team.

Morehead State
06-22-2012, 08:53 PM

You mean I can't be a fan of a team that isn't competitive? I was a NJ Nets fan for a long time, from the Sam Bowie/Mookie Blaylock days...not a very competitive organization... Fwiw, I'm 47, and I became a Giants fan in 1983 when Parcells named Scott Brunner as the starting QB...Brunner was from a nearby town near my hometown, and it was cool to see him on the team.</P>

No I'm not saying that at all. I'm just saying that you can't win a championship every year. And you can still have a successful season and coaches can still do a great job even when they don't win a SB.</P>

yoeddy
06-22-2012, 09:28 PM

You mean I can't be a fan of a team that isn't competitive? I was a NJ Nets fan for a long time, from the Sam Bowie/Mookie Blaylock days...not a very competitive organization... Fwiw, I'm 47, and I became a Giants fan in 1983 when Parcells named Scott Brunner as the starting QB...Brunner was from a nearby town near my hometown, and it was cool to see him on the team.</P>

No I'm not saying that at all.* I'm just saying that you can't win a championship every year.* And you can still have a successful season and coaches can still do a great job even when they don't win a SB.</P>

Never said anything about winning a championship every year. Just said that I didn't consider making the playoffs in only 3 of 7 seasons to be "competitive every single year"...and that I define "being competitive" as a season where the team makes the playoffs. Never mentioned winning a SB or championship every year.

Regarding Fassel, in the 4 seasons he missed the playoffs, he was sub-.500 in 3 of those seasons and 8-8 in the other....I wouldn't call any of those "competitive" or success full. On the other hand, I might give Coughlin's 10-6 season in 2010 an exception even though they missed the playoffs because it came down to a tiebreaker with the eventual SB champions...

NYG 5
06-23-2012, 08:54 AM
Aside from 2003, his worst seasons were 7-9. That means his teams were in the hunt into december. That's pretty good. Especially when he oftentimes had no quarterback or no offensive line. Spagnuolo won what, 1 game in the NFC West in 2009 and he still kept his job, and everyone still loves Spags.

But, the thing with Fassel was his teams always had an achilles heel. Whether it be no qb, no oline, no cornerbacks, no dline, no kicker, bad kick coverage, etc. That shows you the difference between TC and JF. Starting in his first year, he set the foundation which this team had rode on successfully for 7 seasons now.

Its like looking at upgrading the QB position with Eli. Sure, Kerry Collins was a player you could win with, but Eli gives you the complete package. Fassel could have eventually won a title, but TC went to more title games with an expansion team, turned BC into a powerhouse, and was with Parcells when he turned the Giants into a powerhouse.

yoeddy
06-23-2012, 09:56 AM
Sorry...I just don't see a sub-.500 record as being competitive. Even in Fassel's 8-8 season, they were 4-8 after 12 games and missed the playoffs by 2 spots...I don't consider that "in e hunt"

And everyone loves Spags as a DC, not a HC...

NYG 5
06-23-2012, 10:15 AM
Everyone wanted him to be brought back as the heir apparent after he got canned by stl

jomo
06-23-2012, 10:27 AM
Aside from 2003, his worst seasons were 7-9. That means his teams were in the hunt into december. That's pretty good. Especially when he oftentimes had no quarterback or no offensive line. Spagnuolo won what, 1 game in the NFC West in 2009 and he still kept his job, and everyone still loves Spags. But, the thing with Fassel was his teams always had an achilles heel. Whether it be no qb, no oline, no cornerbacks, no dline, no kicker, bad kick coverage, etc. That shows you the difference between TC and JF. Starting in his first year, he set the foundation which this team had rode on successfully for 7 seasons now. Its like looking at upgrading the QB position with Eli. Sure, Kerry Collins was a player you could win with, but Eli gives you the complete package. Fassel could have eventually won a title, but TC went to more title games with an expansion team, turned BC into a powerhouse, and was with Parcells when he turned the Giants into a powerhouse.Whatever achilles heels those teams had were on Ernie Acorsi who job it is to get the right balance of personnel. To some extent every team has those woes. Haven't we had safety problems, devasted at CB, problematic OL play. It is the head coaches' job to deal with those issues.

GOBIGBLUE52
06-23-2012, 11:51 AM
Even if you don't like Fassel, look at what he did compared to every other coach we've had in the super bowl era. Other than Parcells and Coughlin, he was the most successful. Better than Reeves, Arnsparger, HANDLEY, etc

yoeddy
06-23-2012, 11:53 AM
Everyone wanted him to be brought back as the heir apparent after he got canned by stl

Who is "everyone"?

GOBIGBLUE52
06-23-2012, 03:25 PM

Who is "everyone"?

People on this board, and I don't want to hear anyone denying it, because when things weren't looking good for us all of the talk here was about firing Coughlin and bringing Spags back as HC (and a small % of people wanted just Fewell replaced).

Captain Chaos
06-23-2012, 03:26 PM
Not as QB coach but maybe as water boy....

Diamondring
06-23-2012, 04:04 PM
I wouldn't mind it.

Morehead State
06-23-2012, 11:11 PM
Everyone wanted him to be brought back as the heir apparent after he got canned by stl Who is "everyone"?

People on this board, and I don't want to hear anyone denying it, because when things weren't looking good for us all of the talk here was about firing Coughlin and bringing Spags back as HC (and a small % of people wanted just Fewell replaced).
</P>

Not you of course. You were the lone bright light of reason in a see of blackness.</P>

GMENAGAIN
06-23-2012, 11:46 PM
Everyone wanted him to be brought back as the heir apparent after he got canned by stl Who is "everyone"?

</P>

I will deny it . . . . I openly laughed at the suggestion that we should fire our SB winning coach to bring in a coach that was just fired for being an abject failure as a HC . . . . </P>

yoeddy
06-24-2012, 01:14 AM

Who is "everyone"?

I've never wavered in my support for Coughlin and never suggested that Spags would make a good replacement for him as a HC. And I actually posted support for Fewell in the way he handled all the injuries.

NYG 5
06-24-2012, 10:04 AM
Of course no one wants to can him now, he's been canonized with that sb win.

It was when the team was 6-6 thateveryone was moaning "same old same old, tom must go, 2007 was a fluke, spags is the real reason they won" etc. Don't deny that wasn't going on

GOBIGBLUE52
06-24-2012, 01:51 PM

Who is "everyone"?

I've never wavered in my support for Coughlin and never suggested that Spags would make a good replacement for him as a HC. And I actually posted support for Fewell in the way he handled all the injuries.

Not saying you were, but in general, it was everywhere. What the guy above me said is 100% true. There was even one guy (who hasn't posted here since) that said even if we won the super bowl Coughlin still should be replaced because it wouldn't be because of him, and we blew it in 2008 ("two isn't good enough for me, we should've had 3 and it's his fault")

GMENAGAIN
06-24-2012, 03:05 PM

Not saying you were, but in general, it was everywhere. What the guy above me said is 100% true. There was even one guy (who hasn't posted here since) that said even if we won the super bowl Coughlin still should be replaced because it wouldn't be because of him, and we blew it in 2008 ("two isn't good enough for me, we should've had 3 and it's his fault")
</P>

Ha ha . . . yep. Stormblue or something. Thought that he was the Wizard of Oz. What a nut</P>

Jobarulz
06-24-2012, 03:41 PM
No. Fassel wasn't bad as far as general coaching, plays, strategies, etc., there's a very good reason why he hasn't been offered a head coaching gig since he left here. He's a push over people. You can't be a friend with your players, I mean you can to a degree, but not to what Fassel was. How can players respect you as a coach or person when you don't demand it? Shockey, Tiki, and Strahan ran the team and did whatever they wanted. Granted they were the stars, but they were never held accountable for any rules they broke. They did what they pleased, Tiki kept fumbling with no consequences, Shockey and Stray got away with running their mouths and missing team meetings, etc. It took Tom so long to get this team under control when he got here. Now that it is, lets not bring buddy buddy Fassel back please.

Bohemian
06-24-2012, 03:51 PM

he is ok, but there probably are other alternatives with lesser egos.

GMENAGAIN
06-24-2012, 07:50 PM
No. Fassel wasn't bad as far as general coaching, plays, strategies, etc., there's a very good reason why he hasn't been offered a head coaching gig since he left here. He's a push over people. You can't be a friend with your players, I mean you can to a degree, but not to what Fassel was. How can players respect you as a coach or person when you don't demand it? Shockey, Tiki, and Strahan ran the team and did whatever they wanted. Granted they were the stars, but they were never held accountable for any rules they broke. They did what they pleased, Tiki kept fumbling with no consequences, Shockey and Stray got away with running their mouths and missing team meetings, etc. It took Tom so long to get this team under control when he got here. Now that it is, lets not bring buddy buddy Fassel back please.</P>

Strahan and Shockey got away with missing team meetings? I don't recall that. Link?</P>

</P>

yoeddy
06-24-2012, 11:06 PM
No. Fassel wasn't bad as far as general coaching, plays, strategies, etc., there's a very good reason why he hasn't been offered a head coaching gig since he left here. He's a push over people. You can't be a friend with your players, I mean you can to a degree, but not to what Fassel was. How can players respect you as a coach or person when you don't demand it? Shockey, Tiki, and Strahan ran the team and did whatever they wanted. Granted they were the stars, but they were never held accountable for any rules they broke. They did what they pleased, Tiki kept fumbling with no consequences, Shockey and Stray got away with running their mouths and missing team meetings, etc. It took Tom so long to get this team under control when he got here. Now that it is, lets not bring buddy buddy Fassel back please.</P>

Strahan and Shockey got away with missing team meetings?* I don't recall that.* Link?</P>

*</P>

I remember Strahan holding a press conference to slam to offense on the day Fassel left to attend to his mother's death...not exactly a sign that Fassel held Strahan's respect...

GOBIGBLUE52
06-24-2012, 11:32 PM
No. Fassel wasn't bad as far as general coaching, plays, strategies, etc., there's a very good reason why he hasn't been offered a head coaching gig since he left here. He's a push over people. You can't be a friend with your players, I mean you can to a degree, but not to what Fassel was. How can players respect you as a coach or person when you don't demand it? Shockey, Tiki, and Strahan ran the team and did whatever they wanted. Granted they were the stars, but they were never held accountable for any rules they broke. They did what they pleased, Tiki kept fumbling with no consequences, Shockey and Stray got away with running their mouths and missing team meetings, etc. It took Tom so long to get this team under control when he got here. Now that it is, lets not bring buddy buddy Fassel back please.</p>

Strahan and Shockey got away with missing team meetings? I don't recall that. Link?</p>

</p>

I remember Strahan holding a press conference to slam to offense on the day Fassel left to attend to his mother's death...not exactly a sign that Fassel held Strahan's respect...

Are you saying Strahan slammed Fassel for leaving the team to attend to his mother dying?

I'm really disappointed in Mike if he said that. Family comes first, always.

yoeddy
06-24-2012, 11:43 PM
No. Fassel wasn't bad as far as general coaching, plays, strategies, etc., there's a very good reason why he hasn't been offered a head coaching gig since he left here. He's a push over people. You can't be a friend with your players, I mean you can to a degree, but not to what Fassel was. How can players respect you as a coach or person when you don't demand it? Shockey, Tiki, and Strahan ran the team and did whatever they wanted. Granted they were the stars, but they were never held accountable for any rules they broke. They did what they pleased, Tiki kept fumbling with no consequences, Shockey and Stray got away with running their mouths and missing team meetings, etc. It took Tom so long to get this team under control when he got here. Now that it is, lets not bring buddy buddy Fassel back please.</p>

Strahan and Shockey got away with missing team meetings?* I don't recall that.* Link?</p>

*</p>

Are you saying Strahan slammed Fassel for leaving the team to attend to his mother dying?

I'm really disappointed in Mike if he said that. Family comes first, always.

No...he did not slam Fassel for leaving the team. Rather, he waited for Fassel to be out of town for the opportunity to slam the offense for playing poorly. And yes, it was incredibly poor form for Strahan to do that...

AntB
06-25-2012, 01:31 AM
I think Arena Football is looking for someone. The Jets probably need him more though.

GMENAGAIN
06-25-2012, 06:30 AM

Strahan and Shockey got away with missing team meetings? I don't recall that. Link?</P>

</P>

I remember Strahan holding a press conference to slam to offense on the day Fassel left to attend to his mother's death...not exactly a sign that Fassel held Strahan's respect...</P>

Did they miss meetings?</P>

davecrazy
06-25-2012, 09:09 AM

I don't, but the local bars and nightclubs sure wouldn't mind having him back.

Morehead State
06-25-2012, 09:13 AM

I don't, but the local bars and nightclubs sure wouldn't mind having him back.
</P>

If Danny Kannell was my QB...I'd drink too!</P>