PDA

View Full Version : Splitting carries at RB

giantsfan39
06-19-2012, 06:51 PM
How do people think the carries will be split to start the year?
Bradshaw will obviously get the bulk but I find it difficult to believe
Wilson will get the rest. Ware is used mostly for 3rd down blocking and
screens not for running. And Scott hasn't shown that he deserves
carriers. Brown willnot make the team imo but he hasn't shown much
either.

yoeddy
06-19-2012, 06:54 PM
Wilson won't get any time on the field until he learns the blocking assignments. So it will be Bradshaw and Ware until Wilson proves he can handle it.

myles2424
06-19-2012, 07:14 PM
Wilson won't get any time on the field until he learns the blocking assignments. So it will be Bradshaw and Ware until Wilson proves he can handle it. its easy to say that about someone like Scott,but Wilson WILL get plenty of playing time this year.....count on that

titwio
06-19-2012, 07:15 PM
Bradshaw was saying he thinks the RB corps as a group will see more playing time this year.

I agree with yoeddy about D-Wil needing to learn his assignments before getting quality time. All in all I wouldn't mind seeing Scott and Wilson in a split backfield when AB is not in the game. Should give the Eli better protection in the beginning and also be a fierce dual threat out the backfield. Would be a sick formation to throw out of in say, 3rd and 5 situations having those two guys as as options on the bubble screen.

RoanokeFan
06-19-2012, 07:19 PM
Wilson won't get any time on the field until he learns the blocking assignments. So it will be Bradshaw and Ware until Wilson proves he can handle it. its easy to say that about someone like Scott,but Wilson WILL get plenty of playing time this year.....count on that

Careful now. Even in Gilbride's interview where he was heaping praise on Wilson, he said it will depend on his ability to do other things, like pick up blocking assignments. Until someone proves that I agree it's likely be Bradshaw and Ware.

giantsfan39
06-19-2012, 07:49 PM
Ware isn't a good blocker. He is average. We are assuming Scott and Brown can't do that. But do we know for sure? If either one has become a average blocker they should get playing time.

Harooni
06-19-2012, 07:53 PM
He will start off with a small package as most rookies do then as the season goes on you will notice his package will gradually increase.

BeatYale
06-19-2012, 08:45 PM

Careful now.* Even in Gilbride's interview where he was heaping praise on Wilson, he said it will depend on his ability to do other things, like pick up blocking assignments.* Until someone proves that I agree it's likely* be Bradshaw and Ware.

Wilson, I'd imagine, would get more attention from coaches so that he can get on the field ASAP. That's a luxury of being a first round pick.

Captain Chaos
06-20-2012, 05:52 AM
I think it will be situational, you know that they will move wilson along slowly but steadily throughout the year. He looks to be a good 3rd down back option once he learns the protections. The question is who will be your short yardage back, Bradshaw is tuff he can do it, or do you use Brown at 240 ware at 225. I think that will be the most interesting battle in the backfield this year.

Gimaniac
06-20-2012, 08:09 AM
He will start off with a small package as most rookies do then as the season goes on you will notice his package will gradually increase.

Whoa. No reason to bring the man's junk into the debate.

WR4Life
06-20-2012, 09:22 AM

Lol you don't give up do you?

Redeyejedi
06-20-2012, 10:04 AM

Whoa. No reason to bring the man's junk into the debate.Of course its Harooni talking about packages

JPizzack
06-20-2012, 10:41 AM
Ware isn't a good blocker. He is average. We are assuming Scott and Brown can't do that. But do we know for sure? If either one has become a average blocker they should get playing time.
</P>

not entirely accurate. Ware was used on alot of passing downs, and coaches said he was good at picking up the blitz. I'd say he's on par with AB's blocking abilities. difference being, Ware can probably stay healthy, lol....we may never know.</P>

GMENAGAIN
06-20-2012, 11:26 AM
</P>

You literally get creepier every day . . . . . </P>

giantsfan39
06-20-2012, 11:33 AM
</p>

not entirely accurate. Ware was used on alot of passing downs, and coaches said he was good at picking up the blitz. I'd say he's on par with AB's blocking abilities. difference being, Ware can probably stay healthy, lol....we may never know.</p>

No way. Ware is a solid blocker (and by solid I mean mediocre, average, barely sufficient) but AB is one of the league's best pass protecting RBs. This isn't even close.

Ware can stay healthy? Maybe because he is horrible and doesn't actually have to play. He has had 81 carries and 37 receptions compared to Bradshaw's 900 carries and 109 receptions.

gmen0820
06-20-2012, 11:59 AM
Ware isn't a good blocker.* He is average. We are assuming Scott and Brown can't do that. But do we know for sure? If either one has become a average blocker they should get playing time.
</p>

not entirely accurate. Ware was used on alot of passing downs, and coaches said he was good at picking up the blitz. I'd say he's on par with AB's blocking abilities. difference being, Ware can probably stay healthy, lol....we may never know.</p>

No way. Ware is a solid blocker (and by solid I mean mediocre, average, barely sufficient) but AB is one of the league's best pass protecting RBs. This isn't even close.

Ware can stay healthy? Maybe because he is horrible and doesn't actually have to play. He has had 81 carries and 37 receptions compared to Bradshaw's 900 carries and 109 receptions.
Ware is pretty injury proned.

He finally got snaps in 2009 during the Denver game -- BOOM -- fumble & concussion.

Last year he got blindsided by Cullen Jenkins.

Fluke hits? Sure -- but he gets knocked out of games more frequently than his body of work would suggest.

G-Man67
06-20-2012, 12:05 PM
i'm kinda thinking 2 series for AB, then 1 for Wilson with Ware as kinda the rotate in back / 3rd down back</P>

Scott may do some KR, he will be insurance at RB at 1st</P>

but one thing about football is that the equation can change overnight</P>

yoeddy
06-20-2012, 12:17 PM
Ware isn't a good blocker.* He is average. We are assuming Scott and Brown can't do that. But do we know for sure? If either one has become a average blocker they should get playing time.

It's less about his specific ability as a blocker and more about knowing his assignments.

gmen0820
06-20-2012, 12:18 PM
i'm kinda thinking 2 series for AB, then 1 for Wilson with Ware as kinda the rotate in back / 3rd down back</P>

Scott may do some KR, he will be insurance at RB at 1st</P>

but one thing about football is that the equation can change overnight</P>I really don't want Ware on the field at all. He is so terribly average, it's annoying.

sg92
06-20-2012, 12:40 PM

His package will only be used if he learns about protection.

Eli and Tom Coughlin are very big about protection.

dezzzR
06-20-2012, 12:42 PM
i'm kinda thinking 2 series for AB, then 1 for Wilson with Ware as kinda the rotate in back / 3rd down back</p>

Scott may do some KR, he will be insurance at RB at 1st</p>

but one thing about football is that the equation can change overnight</p>I really don't want Ware on the field at all. He is so terribly <u>average</u>, it's annoying.Thats being kind.

THE_New_York_Giants
06-20-2012, 12:43 PM
Wilson won't get any time on the field until he learns the blocking assignments. So it will be Bradshaw and Ware until Wilson proves he can handle it.

First round picks should theoretically be starters on the team. I think we are going to see a 40/30/30 split. 40% by Bradshaw, 30% by Wilson, and 30% between Scott,/Brown/ Martinek/ware. We will use all of the running backs on the roster this year.

dezzzR
06-20-2012, 12:47 PM
As gay as this is, its right on the mark. Wouldnt be surprised if hes getting more carries than Bradshaw by the end of the year depending on how Bradshaws ankles/feet hold up.

JMFP2
06-20-2012, 05:48 PM

Wilson will be the #1 back by the end of the season, if he's as electric as the Giants coaching staff says he is.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/bursting_on_the_scene_M5CnILLfrJd5xqK9dA8xiJ

thomsoad
06-20-2012, 05:57 PM
Boy this question really depends on Wilson. If he cant get the blocking assignments down exactly there is no way he even gets a sniff of the field in a regular season game.

Lets remember Bradshaw rarely saw the field until his blocking greatly improved. Appears Gilbride likes Wilson... but he aint about to lose Eli (due to inexperience from Wilson) for him.

fourth&forever
06-20-2012, 08:42 PM
Can't break it down by percentages really because Wilson will steadily increase his playing time as he learns.
Just a thought. Wilson likes to make one cut then hit the hole hard. His burst is said to be explosive so he is accelerating from the cut to the hole. That is exactly the opposite of BJ and his old 'twinkle toes' routine. This kid has me excited.

Harooni
06-20-2012, 08:45 PM

His package will only be used if he learns about protection.

Eli and Tom Coughlin are very big about protection.

of course ball security is a must.

JMFP2
06-20-2012, 09:03 PM
His package will only be used if he learns about protection. Eli and Tom Coughlin are very big about protection.

of course ball security is a must.
</P>

</P>

Must you?</P>

chasjay
06-20-2012, 09:11 PM
His ability to pick up the protections will matter the most when it comes to playing time, assuming he demonstrates NFL ability to carry the ball and receive from the backfield. If he hasn't shown the ability to pass-block, the opposing defenses will have a better idea of the play calls when he's on the field. TC won't stand for that.

Mohann
06-20-2012, 09:37 PM
I think it will be hard to keep Wilson off the field very soon. He seems like a good kid and hard worker, and has a great burst. He could become our best back ever.

JMFP2
06-20-2012, 09:40 PM
His ability to pick up the protections will matter the most when it comes to playing time, assuming he demonstrates NFL ability to carry the ball and receive from the backfield. If he hasn't shown the ability to pass-block, the opposing defenses will have a better idea of the play calls when he's on the field. TC won't stand for that.
</P>

</P>

I think he'll pick things up just fine. With all due respect to Jacobs and Bradshaw, it's not rocket science.</P>

mainegiantsfan
06-20-2012, 11:00 PM
I hope Martinek gets the majority of the last 30%. We will find out during the exibition season, and from his highlight link a while back, I think he will make his mark.

giantsfan39
06-20-2012, 11:10 PM
</p>

Ware is pretty injury proned.

He finally got snaps in 2009 during the Denver game -- BOOM -- fumble &amp; concussion.

Last year he got blindsided by Cullen Jenkins.

Fluke hits? Sure -- but he gets knocked out of games more frequently than his body of work would suggest.

True. I jus found him calling Ware as a good a blocker as Bradshaw to be inaccurate. And I fotfot about Ware's injuried. Maybe it is because you don't expect a guy who has had so few carries to get injured. There are RBs who have had more carries in 4 games than Ware hs had in his career.

Morehead State
06-20-2012, 11:18 PM
</P>

not entirely accurate. Ware was used on alot of passing downs, and coaches said he was good at picking up the blitz. I'd say he's on par with AB's blocking abilities. difference being, Ware can probably stay healthy, lol....we may never know.</P>

</P>

I gotta agree with my buddy Pizz on this. If nothing else, Ware is a good guy in the backfield picking up the blitz.</P>

He just sucks as a runner. </P>

Sorry Pizzey. I know that hurts all you UGA guys.</P>

giantsfan420
06-21-2012, 02:19 AM

Wilson will be the #1 back by the end of the season, if he's as electric as the Giants coaching staff says he is.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/bursting_on_the_scene_M5CnILLfrJd5xqK9dA8xiJ

thanks for the link. i agree with linvall joseph that wilson strikes me as a mccoy kinda back, but i also think he has the grittiness and toughness of bradshaw...he also has amazing leg drive...

kid could be real special. im liking that his mentality is he's coming in and making an immediate impact

FlyingTruck
06-21-2012, 02:23 AM
I've read that Wilson has been doing fine with picking up the blitzes and protecting Eli. So far.

giantsfan39
06-21-2012, 10:25 AM
</p>

</p>

I gotta agree with my buddy Pizz on this. If nothing else, Ware is a good guy in the backfield picking up the blitz.</p>

He just sucks as a runner. </p>

Sorry Pizzey. I know that hurts all you UGA guys.</p>

He is a decent blocker ie average. He won't get Eli injured but he isn't a good as blocker as Bradshaw or as good as Jacob was. He is simply average. Which is probably more than we can say than the other guys because we don't know how they are progressing.

Can't wait till somebody bumps Ware off the team next year though.