PDA

View Full Version : What/Who do you credit for the Defence turning it around last season?

G-Man67
06-20-2012, 02:54 PM
a lot of good debate on this topic ,,, i'm interested to see exactly what people credit for the defensive turnaround ... maybe pick 2 off the list</P>

1. Tuck getting his head together</P>

2. Fewell simplifying the D</P>

3. Boley, Osi, Tuck, Prince, Phillipsall getting healthy / healthier /re-healthy around the same point late in the season</P>

4. Players just getting in each others grilles and going WE CAN/WILL DO BETTER!! ... ALL-IN!!</P>

5. Fewell changing to a more aggressive style of play, strategically, not based on getting healthier ... maybe even Coughlin demanding changes from Fewell</P>

6. The offense improving therunning game, limiting turnovers and STs with Weatherford giving the D alittle better field position to defend from</P>

7. We didn't improve much... teams like the Jets and Atlanta and even NE weren't really playing all that well on offense esp. with theGronk hurting... Rodgers was a bit rusty ... Alex Smith isn't John Elway, etc.</P>

smashndash715
06-20-2012, 03:02 PM
I would have to say 3...health was a big issue throughout most of the season and once we got everyone back we clicked

chasjay
06-20-2012, 03:04 PM
From that list of selections, I go with #3 and #6

burier
06-20-2012, 03:06 PM
Seriously unless you think Prince getting n the lineup was the difference then health is beside the point.

There was nothing wrong with Tuck to begin with.

If anything you could say that being UNhealthy helped us since Herz getting hurt lead to Blackburn getting signed which turned out to be an upgrade.

Other than that..I started to see less of the three man rush nonsense and guys like Canty and Joseph started playing better. Not healther but better.

We turned it up a notch down the stretch is all.

ashleymarie
06-20-2012, 03:15 PM
#3. The momentum shifted to the Giants when everyone who wasnot upto snuffstepped back on the field. </P>

steve12smith
06-20-2012, 03:16 PM
HEALTH.

once all of our defensive players started getting healthy and our best lineup we could put out there came together they started playing great. team got used to playing with each other instead of a different starting LB every week, Rolle covering slot WRs, Tuck playing thru injuries, etc.

Bohemian
06-20-2012, 03:28 PM
a lot of good debate on this topic ,,, i'm interested to see exactly what people credit for the defensive turnaround ... maybe pick 2 off the list</p>

1. Tuck getting his head together</p>

2. Fewell simplifying the D</p>

3. Boley, Osi, Tuck, Prince, Phillipsall getting healthy / healthier /re-healthy around the same point late in the season</p>

4. Players just getting in each others grilles and going WE CAN/WILL DO BETTER!! ... ALL-IN!!</p>

5. Fewell changing to a more aggressive style of play, strategically, not based on getting healthier ... maybe even Coughlin demanding changes from Fewell</p>

6. The offense improving therunning game, limiting turnovers and STs with Weatherford giving the D alittle better field position to defend from</p>

7. We didn't improve much... teams like the Jets and Atlanta and even NE weren't really playing all that well on offense esp. with theGronk hurting... Rodgers was a bit rusty ... Alex Smith isn't John Elway, etc.</p>

I think that a combination of options 1 through 6 is the likely choice. 7 seems too unrealistic, but Gronk getting hurt in the playoffs certainly affected the Pats... specially after seeing what Vernon Davis did in the NFC championship against our defensive backs. Hernandez is a nice player, but not nearly as effective in stretching the field vertically.

All in all, that run to close the regular season was amazing.

jakegibbs
06-20-2012, 03:32 PM
a lot of good debate on this topic ,,, i'm interested to see exactly what people credit for the defensive turnaround ... maybe pick 2 off the list</P>

1.* Tuck getting his head together</P>

2.* Fewell simplifying the D</P>

3.* Boley, Osi, Tuck, Prince, Phillips*all getting healthy / healthier /*re-healthy around the same point late in the season</P>

4.* Players just getting in each others grilles and going WE CAN/WILL DO BETTER!!* ... ALL-IN!!</P>

5.* Fewell changing to a more aggressive style of play, strategically, not based on getting healthier ... maybe even Coughlin demanding changes from Fewell</P>

6.* The offense improving the*running game, limiting turnovers and STs with Weatherford giving the D a*little better field position to defend from</P>

7.* We didn't improve much*... teams like the Jets and Atlanta and even NE weren't really playing all that well on offense esp. with the*Gronk hurting*... Rodgers was a bit rusty ... Alex Smith isn't John Elway, etc.</P>

8. SPY GATE it's been used before & worked against the greatest show on turf.

yoeddy
06-20-2012, 03:32 PM
I would add "Rolle buying into the team concept" was a big factor...but #3 is probably a bigger factor...

buddy33
06-20-2012, 03:38 PM
Nothing was wrong with Tuck? Was that supposed to be in red? He was absolutely hurting for a majority of the season and even had shoulder surgery since the season has ended.

For the final game of the season and the post season Tuck and Osi where finally on the field together payin at as about as healthy as they could be.

MikeIsaGiant
06-20-2012, 03:50 PM
2. Fewell simplifying the D

4. Players just getting in each others grilles and going WE CAN/WILL DO BETTER!! ... ALL-IN!!

Seriously think that these 2 played huge parts

You can tell the intensity was there late in the season and in the playoffs (why I picked #4)

and 2) is quite obvious as well.

THE_New_York_Giants
06-20-2012, 03:54 PM

4. Players just getting in each others grilles and going WE CAN/WILL DO BETTER!! ... ALL-IN!!

You can tell the intensity was there late in the season and in the playoffs (why I picked #4)

I washed my jersey. After I did that, the Giants didn't lose another game.
I also give credit to the buried gnomes.

giantsfan420
06-20-2012, 03:54 PM
good post. id say all the abovce but if i had to choose two or three, id say 2, 3, and 4 or 5 either one... although they are all reasons why we turned it around defensivley.

MikeIsaGiant
06-20-2012, 03:56 PM

Ever since the Jets game I wore my JPP jersey, switched it up from the Tuck one I was wearing. Won every game since.

Now I know what jersey I'll be wearing this season

jakegibbs
06-20-2012, 04:06 PM
If you'd listen to Big Blue Kickoff Broadcast they kinda summed the answer to your question up on one the recent broadcasts.

Kinda went like this... Simplification of the defense was a little white lie they put out to those who would listen but what it came down to was the D coaches trusting in the D players & the D players trusing in the D coaches so everyone ran the D that was called each & every play from the Jet game on & trusted it would work & low & behold a defense was born..

That's what they said on the broadcast... BELEIVE OR NOT...Hmmmmmm..

Kruunch
06-20-2012, 04:18 PM
a lot of good debate on this topic ,,, i'm interested to see exactly what people credit for the defensive turnaround ... maybe pick 2 off the list</p>

1. Tuck getting his head together</p>

2. Fewell simplifying the D</p>

3. Boley, Osi, Tuck, Prince, Phillipsall getting healthy / healthier /re-healthy around the same point late in the season</p>

4. Players just getting in each others grilles and going WE CAN/WILL DO BETTER!! ... ALL-IN!!</p>

5. Fewell changing to a more aggressive style of play, strategically, not based on getting healthier ... maybe even Coughlin demanding changes from Fewell</p>

6. The offense improving therunning game, limiting turnovers and STs with Weatherford giving the D alittle better field position to defend from</p>

7. We didn't improve much... teams like the Jets and Atlanta and even NE weren't really playing all that well on offense esp. with theGronk hurting... Rodgers was a bit rusty ... Alex Smith isn't John Elway, etc.</p>

All of the above.

G-Man67
06-20-2012, 04:21 PM
If you'd listen to Big Blue Kickoff Broadcast they kinda summed the answer to your question up on one the recent broadcasts. Kinda went like this... Simplification of the defense was a little white lie they put out to those who would listen but what it came down to was the D coaches trusting in the D players &amp; the D players trusing in the D coaches so everyone ran the D that was called each &amp; every play from the Jet game on &amp; trusted it would work &amp; low &amp; behold a defense was born.. That's what they said on the broadcast... BELEIVE OR NOT...Hmmmmmm..</P>

yeah, i didn't buy much into the "changes" in strategy ... i'm 1 and 3 on my list</P>

but what they put out there does make some sense, especially with regards to Rolle ... Rolle has a reputation to freelance and if you do that vs. NO ... you are going to get lanced ... GB too ... the ALL-IN was more than just a rally cry ... the coaches and players did come together</P>

steve12smith
06-20-2012, 04:21 PM

Ever since the Jets game I wore my JPP jersey, switched it up from the Tuck one I was wearing. Won every game since.

Now I know what jersey I'll be wearing this season

believe it or not mine was my boxers haha. i started wearing the boxers i wore every sunday in 07 right on Christmas Eve against the Jets, didnt lose after that and didnt wash them once after that haha

JMFP2
06-20-2012, 05:41 PM

1.* Tuck getting his head together</p>

2.* Fewell simplifying the D</p>

3.* Boley, Osi, Tuck, Prince, Phillips*all getting healthy / healthier /*re-healthy around the same point late in the season</p>

4.* Players just getting in each others grilles and going WE CAN/WILL DO BETTER!!* ... ALL-IN!!</p>

5.* Fewell changing to a more aggressive style of play, strategically, not based on getting healthier ... maybe even Coughlin demanding changes from Fewell</p>

6.* The offense improving the*running game, limiting turnovers and STs with Weatherford giving the D a*little better field position to defend from</p>

7.* We didn't improve much*... teams like the Jets and Atlanta and even NE weren't really playing all that well on offense esp. with the*Gronk hurting*... Rodgers was a bit rusty ... Alex Smith isn't John Elway, etc.</p>

All of the above.

Yes....and it also helped when Chase Blackburn was re-signed.

vinylord
06-20-2012, 05:46 PM
What about the improbable improvement when Chase Blackburn was brought in? Maybe somebody with experience had to be in the middle as a calming effect.

Mohann
06-21-2012, 01:04 PM
When the D was at it's worst, the players were looking at each other and pointing when the ball was snapped. It's clear they had no idea where they were supposed to be, let alone what they were supposed to do. The coaches said they simplified pre snap reads and I believe them. The players said they put in extra time on their own, and It certainly looked that way. Add to that players coming back from injury and I think those were the two biggest factors. Plays by the running game helped, Chase helped. We went from bottom of the barrel to top of the heap, no one change could have done that.

Toadofsteel
06-21-2012, 01:15 PM
5.* Fewell changing to a more aggressive style of play, strategically, not based on getting healthier ... maybe even Coughlin demanding changes from Fewell</P>

THIS!!! PF was a pansy for half of the season. I want to see QB's buried in the turf and RB's tackled for a loss. Our team is built to win up front. If we had Revis and Claiborne, maybe we could win from the back, but that's not the Giant way...

However, health also played a big role. Having JPP Tuck and Osi all healthy at the same time allowed PF to throw more aggression on passing downs without necessarily sacrificing coverage the way blitzing does.

G-Man67
06-21-2012, 01:18 PM
What about the improbable improvement when Chase Blackburn was brought in? Maybe somebody with experience had to be in the middle as a calming effect.

good point with Chase, he knew exactly what he was doing and did it well out there

pino
06-22-2012, 01:24 PM
Simplifying the D may be the wrong way to describe them, but I did notice some adjustments. It could have a lot to do with Chase manning the middle. The zone coverage was much much better late in the season.

yoeddy
06-22-2012, 02:44 PM

good point with Chase, he knew exactly what he was doing and did it well out there

Forgot about this...yeah, Chase deserves a lot of credit for solidifying the defense...