PDA

View Full Version : Looks like Mario might not even start.

appodictic
06-22-2012, 12:20 AM
<a href="Earlier%20in%20the%20offseason,%20Giants%20GM%20Je rry%20Reese%20hinted%20that%20veteran%20outside%20 linebacker%20Michael%20Boley%20could%20shift%20to% 20the%20middle%20--%20a%20position%20the%20team%20needs%20to%20fill.% 20%20%20But%20right%20now%20Chase%20Blackburn%20is %20there,%20and%20Boley%20is%20on%20the%20outside% 20--%20something%20he%20doesn%27t%20foresee%20changing %20right%20now.%20%20%20%22I%27m%20still%20the%20o utside%20linebacker,%22%20he%20said%20by%20phone%2 0on%20Wednesday.%20%22But%20as%20things%20go,%20yo u%20never%20know.%20Once%20camp%20gets%20going,%20 you%20never%20know%20what%20coach%20has%20planned. %20So%20right%20now,%20I%27m%20just%20happy%20to%2 0have%20a%20job.%22%20%20%20Defensive%20coordinato r%20Perry%20Fewell%20has%20said%20Blackburn%20is%2 0currently%20his%20starting%20middle%20linebacker. %20But%20Boley%20and%20Keith%20Rivers%20could%20se e%20reps%20at%20middle%20linebacker%20in%20trainin g%20camp%20as%20the%20Giants%20explore%20their%20o ptions.%20Mark%20Herzlich%20and%20Greg%20Jones%20a lso%20are%20on%20the%20MLB%20depth%20chart%20altho ugh%20Jones%20saw%20time%20at%20third-team%20strong-side%20linebacker%20in%20minicamp.%20%20%20Boley%2 0called%20OTAs%20and%20minicamp%20%22not%20as%20st renuous%20as%20our%20previous%20offseason,%22%20bu t%20he%20said%20the%20deep%20class%20of%20talent%2 0at%20linebacker%20has%20intensified%20things.%20% 20%20%22Oh%20yeah,%20there%27s%20definitely%20a%20 lot%20of%20competition,%20especially%20with%20the% 20different%20rule%20changes,%22%20he%20said.%20%2 2Right%20now,%20the%20offseason%20roster%20goes%20 from%2080%20to%2090,%20so%20there%20are%20more%20g uys.%20And%20once%20you%20have%20more%20guys%20at% 20each%20position,%20it%20gives%20people%20more%20 competition,%20which%20I%20think%20is%20a%20good%2 0thing.%22%20%20%20Boley%20said%20Keith%20Rivers,% 20the%20Giants%27%20latest%20arrival%20who%20was%2 0brought%20in%20via%20a%20trade%20in%20April%20for %20a%20fifth-round%20pick%20in%20the%202012%20draft,%20is%20sta nding%20out%20as%20well.%20%20%20%22He%20came%20in %20and%20he%27s%20done%20some%20tremendous%20work, %22%20he%20said.%20%22He%27s%20picked%20up%20thing s%20pretty%20well.%22%20%20%20Boley%20will%20be%20 entering%20the%20fourth%20year%20of%20his%20five-year,%20$25%20million%20deal%20that%20he%20signed% 20back%20in%202009.%20He%20finished%20last%20seaso n%20as%20the%20second-leading%20tackler%20on%20the%20team%20%2893%29,%20 behind%20Antrel%20Rolle%20%2896%29,%20and%20he%20h ad%20a%20team-high%2010%20tackles%20during%20the%20Giants%27%202 1-17%20Super%20Bowl%20XLVI%20win%20over%20the%20Patr iots%20in%20February.%20">http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82a06fd9/article/randy-moss-in-line-to-start-for-san-francisco-49ers?module=HP11_headline_stack
</a>
Wow if i were behind crabtree and moss I would hang myself.

THE_New_York_Giants
06-22-2012, 12:32 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82a06fd9/article/randy-moss-in-line-to-start-for-san-francisco-49ers?module=HP11_headline_stack

i wouldn't. id be thrilled to be on an NFL team

appodictic
06-22-2012, 12:39 AM
If your behind in the depth chart a #1 that only had one catch in a championship game , and a guy that kicked off 3 teams you might as well start flipping burgers. Moss was done more then plaxico and Crabtree is rookie holdout that never even had a single big game.

ShakeNBake
06-22-2012, 12:42 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82a06fd9/article/randy-moss-in-line-to-start-for-san-francisco-49ers?module=HP11_headline_stack

Mario did say that he left for more playing time but even if he doesn't beat out Moss(which would be surprising) he will still be playing for a contender. It's not that big of a deal.

miked1958
06-22-2012, 01:10 AM
I think over the course of the season he will get more and more playing time. I would find it hard to fathom he gets outplayed by tose two

Toadofsteel
06-22-2012, 01:19 AM
Manningham will definitely beat out Crabtree. SF hasn't had a legitimate wideout threat in some time. Vernon is all they have... and I guess their RB's out of the backfield.

MikeIsaGiant
06-22-2012, 09:34 AM
I bet Mario has the biggest season out of all their WRs

GMENAGAIN
06-22-2012, 09:43 AM
It's only June . . . . the starters may be different in September. Neither Mario nor Moss has even had a training camp with SF yet . . . .

Jiffy Jeff
06-22-2012, 10:19 AM

i wouldn't. id be thrilled to be on an NFL team

Exactamundo, my friend.

BlueBlitzer
06-22-2012, 01:18 PM
The reason was for no dissention in the ranks. Crabtree, a #1 draft pick would get His bloomers in a wad, if He was bumped from a guy who hadn't taken a snap yet as a Niner.

miked1958
06-22-2012, 08:15 PM
I bet Mario has the biggest season out of all their WRsI agree

Jerrob
06-23-2012, 08:28 AM

Somehow I doubt it, I am sorry but there is a reason NY let him go, he made a big play in the SB sure, but it wasn't a difficult play considering Eli put the ball in perfectly in his hands in stride. He has always been a horrific route runner and I can show you instances where his bad route running hurt us in the Superbowl as well.

On top of all that he has the "great disappointment" Alex Smith throwing to him, everyone just fawns on how much better he played last season but of course they rarely let him throw and when he did he wasn't allowed to take any risks so he threw the ball away a lot.

ShakeNBake
06-23-2012, 11:54 AM

Somehow I doubt it, I am sorry but there is a reason NY let him go, he made a big play in the SB sure, but it wasn't a difficult play considering Eli put the ball in perfectly in his hands in stride. He has always been a horrific route runner and I can show you instances where his bad route running hurt us in the Superbowl as well.

On top of all that he has the "great disappointment" Alex Smith throwing to him, everyone just fawns on how much better he played last season but of course they rarely let him throw and when he did he wasn't allowed to take any risks so he threw the ball away a lot.

Yeah, its this thing called the salary cap, plus the guy wanted a starting job

06-23-2012, 01:15 PM
[Alex Smith throwing to him] </P>

Enough said!</P>

buffyblue
06-23-2012, 01:35 PM
Randy Moss is a great reciever that had some issues. Apparently the guy has his head on straight this year. I guess we will have to wait and see. Regardless, I figured that MM would be behind him on the depth chart.

San Francisco is a very dangerous team one of the favorites to go to SuperBowl. I am sure MM will get plenty of playing time.

JPP
06-23-2012, 07:32 PM

Somehow I doubt it, I am sorry but there is a reason NY let him go, he made a big play in the SB sure, but it wasn't a difficult play considering Eli* put the ball in perfectly in his hands in stride. He has always been a horrific route runner and I can show you instances where his bad route running hurt us in the Superbowl as well.

lol have you even looked at his contract, it isn't very much we could have retained him if we really tried. Whats better #1 on a run first team with an average QB at best or #3 on an explosive offensive team you already won the Superbowl with? I would definitely call it NYG letting him go.

Flip Empty
06-23-2012, 11:02 PM
Manningham will definitely beat out Crabtree. SF hasn't had a legitimate wideout threat in some time. Vernon is all they have... and I guess their RB's out of the backfield.
Crabtree actually had an ok season last year.

ShakeNBake
06-24-2012, 12:12 AM

lol have you even looked at his contract, it isn't very much we could have retained him if we really tried. Whats better #1 on a run first team with an average QB at best or #3 on an explosive offensive team you already won the Superbowl with? I would definitely call it NYG letting him go.

Mario said he didn't want to come back because he wanted a shot to play first string. This isn't my opinion, it is what came out of his mouth, so I don't know why you're trying to debate me here.

MikeIsaGiant
06-24-2012, 12:40 PM

Somehow I doubt it, I am sorry but there is a reason NY let him go, he made a big play in the SB sure, but it wasn't a difficult play considering Eli* put the ball in perfectly in his hands in stride. He has always been a horrific route runner and I can show you instances where his bad route running hurt us in the Superbowl as well.

Mario said he didn't want to come back because he wanted a shot to play first string. This isn't my opinion, it is what came out of* his mouth, so I don't know why you're trying to debate me here.
'

+1 he said it pretty clear-cut.

JPP
06-24-2012, 01:29 PM

Mario said he didn't want to come back because he wanted a shot to play first string. This isn't my opinion, it is what came out of* his mouth, so I don't know why you're trying to debate me here.

You said it was the cap and I'm pointing out it wasn't. You were also saying NYG didn't let him go he wanted out, well I believe they did and him saying "oh well I wanted 1st string" after the fact could merely be posturing. Basically if the Giants really thought Manningham was the key to our success he wouldn't have gone anywhere but obviously they weren't willing to offer him a spot higher on our depth chart and a minor raise so they let him go.

miked1958
06-24-2012, 07:50 PM

You said it was the cap and I'm pointing out it wasn't. You were also saying NYG didn't let him go he wanted out, well I believe they did and him saying "oh well I wanted 1st string" after the fact could merely be posturing. Basically if the Giants really thought Manningham was the key to our success he wouldn't have gone anywhere but obviously they weren't willing to offer him a spot higher on our depth chart and a minor raise so they let him go.We seem to have a knack for doing that, and then finding a replacement as good or better then the departing player

jomo
06-24-2012, 08:30 PM
If SF is near the top of the heap as our competition for the NFC championship, I am very happy to be facing Smith, Crabtree, Manningham and Moss in the passing game. That is not a fearsome crew.

ShakeNBake
06-24-2012, 10:15 PM

Mario said he didn't want to come back because he wanted a shot to play first string. This isn't my opinion, it is what came out of his mouth, so I don't know why you're trying to debate me here.

You said it was the cap and I'm pointing out it wasn't. You were also saying NYG didn't let him go he wanted out, well I believe they did and him saying "oh well I wanted 1st string" after the fact could merely be posturing. Basically if the Giants really thought Manningham was the key to our success he wouldn't have gone anywhere but obviously they weren't willing to offer him a spot higher on our depth chart and a minor raise so they let him go.

You just contradicted yourself by saying its not about the cap then finishing your post by saying they weren't willing to pay him more, every personnel decision that is made in football considers the cap. As far as what Mario said you can believe it or not, again I was just stating what he was saying there's nothing to debate here.

keyofgmen
06-26-2012, 02:53 PM
If SF is near the top of the heap as our competition for the NFC championship, I am very happy to be facing Smith, Crabtree, Manningham and Moss in the passing game. That is not a fearsome crew.

Agree

JPP
06-26-2012, 05:51 PM

You just contradicted yourself by saying its not about the cap then finishing your post by saying they weren't willing to pay him more, every personnel decision that is made in football considers the cap. As far as what Mario said you can believe it or not, again I was just stating what he was saying there's nothing to debate here.

Hardly a contradiction as I was talking about the overall cap not being the reason, but how much they think Mario is worth is a completely different story. But yes I realize you were just quoting him so like you said nothing to debate here.

Yankees807
06-26-2012, 07:14 PM
[Alex Smith throwing to him]*** </P>

Enough said!</P>

Exactly! The guy completed 1 pass for 5 yards in the championship game! Thats horrendous! Can't see Mario putting up any major numbers. They're a run first team.. make that a run first run 2nd team w dink and dunk passes. Alex smith will never ever put up a game like he did against the saints again. Hes lucky hes in that division

ShakeNBake
06-26-2012, 08:07 PM

Hardly a contradiction as I was talking about the overall cap not being the reason, but how much they think Mario is worth is a completely different story. But yes I realize you were just quoting him so like you said nothing to debate here.

Fair enough

RichGiants81
06-26-2012, 10:05 PM
Good

Joe Morrison
06-26-2012, 10:54 PM

Mario did say that he left for more playing time but even if he doesn't beat out Moss(which would be surprising) he will still be playing for a contender. It's not that big of a deal.
</P>

He wanted more playing time, Alex Smith, they are a running team and all he does is throw to Vernon Davis, now with Crabtree being healthy and Moss just being Moss, he's lucky if they don't cut him and groom a draft pick, BJ will be back too!</P>

manning to shockey
06-28-2012, 09:47 AM
i believe that Manningham would strive more as being the #3 receiver on the Giants with Eli throwing to him rather than being a #1 and having Alex Smith throwing to him.

TuckYou
06-29-2012, 09:11 AM
They just drafted a wr with their first rounder too, who is expected to push for starting time....

pino
06-29-2012, 04:17 PM
Not that I want to jinx the guy, but Crabtree is always hurt.

Anyways I'm sure he'll get his chance.

Jiffy Jeff
07-03-2012, 10:39 AM
I heard that LUIGI is getting the starting nod at wideout.

thomsoad
07-03-2012, 02:00 PM

Agree

Well its more fearsome then what they had last year and we had to count on turnovers in the NFC Championship.

The 49rs dont need to have the best WR trio in the NFL to beat us.

gmen0820
07-03-2012, 02:03 PM
They just drafted a wr with their first rounder too, who is expected to push for starting time....I don't think anyone in the NFL, including SF, expects Jenkins to compete for starting time after his offseason thus far.

GMENAGAIN
07-03-2012, 08:07 PM
They just drafted a wr with their first rounder too, who is expected to push for starting time....</P>

He's been a huge disappointment this offseason so far . . . . it's still early though I guess . . . . </P>

</P>

Toadofsteel
07-04-2012, 02:23 PM

Thing is, Luigi is like 6'5" and 240 pounds. Not to mention he jumps higher than mario too. He just needs to work on controlling his momentum... he has a hard time doing cutbacks. Other than that, given the option, I'd start with Luigi over Mario anyday...

jomo
07-05-2012, 09:09 PM
I heard that LUIGI is getting the starting nod at wideout. Thing is, Luigi is like 6'5" and 240 pounds. Not to mention he jumps higher than mario too. He just needs to work on controlling his momentum... he has a hard time doing cutbacks. Other than that, given the option, I'd start with Luigi over Mario anyday...I have heard of Luigi but haven't actually seen him play. Can he run a proper route with consistency? [;)]

Toadofsteel
07-05-2012, 10:20 PM
I heard that LUIGI is getting the starting nod at wideout. Thing is, Luigi is like 6'5" and 240 pounds. Not to mention he jumps higher than mario too. He just needs to work on controlling his momentum... he has a hard time doing cutbacks. Other than that, given the option, I'd start with Luigi over Mario anyday...I have heard of Luigi but haven't actually seen him play. Can he run a proper route with consistency? [;)]

Only the deep routes... he's a little slow in changing direction. Other than that, as long as you're controlling him, he will land with great precision in making the plays you need from him.

jomo
07-05-2012, 10:39 PM
I heard that LUIGI is getting the starting nod at wideout. Thing is, Luigi is like 6'5" and 240 pounds. Not to mention he jumps higher than mario too. He just needs to work on controlling his momentum... he has a hard time doing cutbacks. Other than that, given the option, I'd start with Luigi over Mario anyday...I have heard of Luigi but haven't actually seen him play. Can he run a proper route with consistency? [;)] Only the deep routes... he's a little slow in changing direction. Other than that, as long as you're controlling him, he will land with great precision in making the plays you need from him.We can coach him up!

FearNYGiants
07-08-2012, 08:02 PM

Thing is, Luigi is like 6'5" and 240 pounds. Not to mention he jumps higher than mario too. He just needs to work on controlling his momentum... he has a hard time doing cutbacks. Other than that, given the option, I'd start with Luigi over Mario anyday...
Unless you have Mark Sanchez throwing him the passes he's going to over jump the balls; I say the 49ers with Alex Smith throwing the dink n' dunks needs to let him go and see what they can get from the Jets. Between Sanchez and Tebow throwing the ball Luigi might be looking at a ProBowl type of a season if he were traded there..

Joe Morrison
07-08-2012, 09:02 PM
I heard that LUIGI is getting the starting nod at wideout. Thing is, Luigi is like 6'5" and 240 pounds. Not to mention he jumps higher than mario too. He just needs to work on controlling his momentum... he has a hard time doing cutbacks. Other than that, given the option, I'd start with Luigi over Mario anyday... Unless you have Mark Sanchez throwing him the passes he's going to over jump the balls; I say the 49ers with Alex Smith throwing the dink n' dunks needs to let him go and see what they can get from the Jets. Between Sanchez and Tebow throwing the ball Luigi might be looking at a ProBowl type of a season if he were traded there..</P>

It took Mario 4 years to learn the GMEN's offense, don't think they are waiting on him in San Fran.</P>

thomsoad
07-09-2012, 08:53 AM
I heard that LUIGI is getting the starting nod at wideout. Thing is, Luigi is like 6'5" and 240 pounds. Not to mention he jumps higher than mario too. He just needs to work on controlling his momentum... he has a hard time doing cutbacks. Other than that, given the option, I'd start with Luigi over Mario anyday... Unless you have Mark Sanchez throwing him the passes he's going to over jump the balls; I say the 49ers with Alex Smith throwing the dink n' dunks needs to let him go and see what they can get from the Jets. Between Sanchez and Tebow throwing the ball Luigi might be looking at a ProBowl type of a season if he were traded there..</P>

It took Mario 4 years to learn the GMEN's offense, don't think they are waiting on him in San Fran.</P>

Lets also not forget that Mario scored a 7 on the Wonderlic. Id be surprised if he could learn the 49rs offense this year.