PDA

View Full Version : WITH THE DEPARTURE OF MARIO MANNINGHAM, WR RAMSES BARDEN READY TO "BE THE MAN" THIS SEASON FOR THE GIANTS

RoanokeFan
06-22-2012, 11:13 AM
<font size="4"><font size="3">WITH THE DEPARTURE OF MARIO MANNINGHAM, WR RAMSES BARDEN READY TO "BE THE MAN" THIS SEASON FOR THE GIANTS (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/departure-mario-manningham-unproven-receiver-ramses-barden-ready-man-ny-giants-season-article-1.1100256)

"</font></font>He doesn’t talk of improving his hands, or honing his ability to separate
from defenders. He doesn’t discuss getting stronger, or mention getting
faster.
<div><div class="story-body p402_premium">

No, ask Ramses Barden (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Ramses+Barden) what
his goal is this season, and the Giants receiver delivers a simple answer: “I’m
here to be the man.”

“Plain and simple,” he adds. “There’s no explanation
needed.”

It’s a goal that the Giants would love to see Barden achieve.
The team had high aspirations when Barden was drafted in the third round in
2009, but so far the king-sized wideout has only disappointed, with just 15
career catches.

Yet when training camp opens in Albany next month, Barden
will have perhaps his best and maybe his last chance to turn around his stalled
career. Mario Manningham’s decision to sign with the 49ers has left the Giants
searching for a new No. 3 receiver.

The 6-6 Barden will battle veteran
Domenik Hixon, second-year man Jerrel Jernigan and hyped second-round pick
Rueben Randle for the role behind Victor Cruz and Hakeem Nicks. It will be a
lengthy audition, too, especially if Nicks, as expected, rests his broken foot
for most of training camp.

Barden is the long shot in this competition,
so much so that he wasn’t even mentioned by Kevin Gilbride (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Kevin+Gilbride) when
the offensive coordinator was asked to assess the receiver landscape after last
week’s three-day minicamp. Gilbride said Jernigan showed “flashes,” Randle
displayed “down-the-field speed,” and even said undrafted free agent Brandon
Collins looked “really, really impressive.”

What did Gilbride say about
Barden? Not a word. And Barden was hardly surprised. He’s perhaps the most
unique wideout on the roster, with otherworldly size (6-6, 244) and solid
athleticism, and he routinely d***les in practice, but he has struggled to
deliver in game situations.

His performance in the Giants’ Christmas Eve
win over the Jets was emblematic of that. With the Giants pinned on their own
1-yard line in the third quarter, Eli Manning twice looked to the big wideout
who so often posts up cornerbacks in practice. But Barden couldn’t make a
critical catch; it was Victor Cruz who saved the team with a 99-yard third down
catch-and-run.

“I practice well,” Barden says. “The next step for me is
to carry that over with confidence to the game. Everybody knows what I can do.
It’s (about) being able to do that in September.”

Barden hopes that the
first injury-free offseason of his career will help prepare him to do that.
While he says that “there’s nothing like game reps,” he does believe that he
will be more comfortable in Gilbride’s offense after participating in all the
Giants’ Organized Team Activities and making several impressive catches in
minicamp.

And as soon as minicamp wrapped up, he headed to California to
do more training, working out with teammate Keith Rivers and a handful of other
pros. “It’s great to have a completely healthy offseason to build on,” Barden
says. “It’s great to have a brand new opportunity, a clean slate, essentially,
to make my mark.”

It will be a heated “competition,” Barden admits. But a
more grizzled Barden will be ready.

“I’m not going to walk around looking
over my shoulder,” he says. “It’s fun, and I can’t wait to see how this season
unfolds.”

Here's a closer look at the training camp
contenders for WR:

BARDEN, 4th year, 6-6, 226
pounds

SKINNY: Had a "good camp," according to
Eli Manning, but there's still work to do, says WR coach Kevin Gilbride Jr.: "He
still has areas that he needs to improve on such as creating separation from
defenders and things like that. He's working hard at
that."

BRANDON COLLINS, rookie, 5-11, 176
pounds

SKINNY: Signed out of rookie minicamp
and continued to emerge in last week's veteran minicamp. Says offensive
coordinator Kevin Gilbride: "Good speed, great quickness, but also picking up
the offense pretty quick."

DOMENIK HIXON, seventh year, 6-2, 197
pounds

SKINNY: Receiving corps' elder statesman
hasn't been tentative after tearing ACL for second straight year last season,
but possesses little upside. "Very very steady, very consistent," says coach Tom
Coughlin. "He is a tough guy. And, again, he is a great
example."

JERRELL JERNIGAN, second year, 5-8, 189
pounds

SKINNY: Seemed comfortable in veteran
minicamp after struggling last season. "You see flashes with Jerrel Jernigan,"
says Gilbride. "That guy, he can help us."

RUEBEN RANDLE, rookie,
6-2, 210 pounds

SKINNY: Second-round pick was
billed as NFL-ready coming out of LSU, but Gilbride cautions he's still figuring
out pro game: "There is so much thinking going on. You can see it slows him
down."

JULIAN TALLEY, rookie, 6-1, 192
pounds

SKINNY: Undrafted free agent was held
back because he missed some practice, and Gilbride says he will "reserve
judgment." But can you really rule out a quick WR from Victor Cruz's alma mater
UMass?"</p></div></div>

Jiffy Jeff
06-22-2012, 11:16 AM
Gotta like his attitude, but time will tell. It's hard to imagine the Giants getting Randle in the second round and not giving him every opportunity to be "the man", as Barden hasn't proven anything thus far.

MikeIsaGiant
06-22-2012, 11:23 AM
Barden wants to be the man (good attitude by the way) but IMO he won't be

Toadofsteel
06-22-2012, 11:45 AM
Barden has been given many chances to make a career, and has failed to convert. Time for new blood. I prefer unproven over disproven...

RoanokeFan
06-22-2012, 12:18 PM
This could be his best (and last) shot at a meaningful spot in the rotation.

Mercury
06-22-2012, 12:23 PM
I thought we had a WR named DePalma too. What happened to this guy? Did I miss something?

Mercury
06-22-2012, 12:23 PM
I thought we had a WR named DePalma too. What happened to this guy? Did I miss something?

Mod_C
06-22-2012, 12:40 PM

He's still here

burier
06-22-2012, 12:44 PM
LOL..

Barden is working on getting separation in his 4thr year.

Its like a QB working on hitting the broad side of a barn in his 4th year.

FREE RAMSES!

Cool Papa B.
06-22-2012, 12:50 PM
Good attitude to have, b ut it's put up or shut up time for Barden. He's on the bubble so he has to have a really good camp and season.

Morehead State
06-22-2012, 01:02 PM
Barden has been given many chances to make a career, and has failed to convert. Time for new blood. I prefer unproven over disproven...</P>

First thing he has to prove is that he can stay on the field. Even if its the practice field.</P>

thomsoad
06-22-2012, 01:12 PM
I was a huge Barden guy when we first got him....heII even last year. But in four years he still has to work on seperation and no burst and no speed. Ive lost my enthusiasm for this kid.

Like a previous story said...we were hoping to get a younger Plax and what we got instead was a taller Sinorice Moss.

GMENAGAIN
06-22-2012, 01:19 PM
Eh, with this guy I'm in the "I'll believe it when I see it mode" . . . . . </P>

This Barden propagandais starting to remind me about all of the articles about Ron Dayne before each season, how he had improved his quickness, gotten stronger, blah, blah, blah . . . . . </P>

Time for this guy to do it on the field and to let him walk if he can't . . . .</P>

BeatYale
06-22-2012, 01:57 PM
How about Being "a man" first? Like having the nuts to contribute on special teams. That's the reason this "kid" was a healthy scratch early in his career (when he was healthy).

ShakeNBake
06-22-2012, 02:06 PM
I was a huge Barden guy when we first got him....heII even last year. But in four years he still has to work on seperation and no burst and no speed. Ive lost my enthusiasm for this kid.

Like a previous story said...we were hoping to get a younger Plax and what we got instead was a taller Sinorice Moss.

Barden has shown plenty of promise.....in practice without pads. I don't know who you've been watching but the guy has the tools, he just seems to not show up when there's contact involved.

BlueBlitzer
06-22-2012, 02:59 PM
We have the Horses to give us the six. We just need a dependable guy to move the sticks. It seems every time we let a tall guy go because of lack of speed, He ends up going to another team and winning a SB. Denver, Tampa.

GMENAGAIN
06-22-2012, 03:03 PM
I was a huge Barden guy when we first got him....heII even last year. But in four years he still has to work on seperation and no burst and no speed. Ive lost my enthusiasm for this kid. Like a previous story said...<FONT size=4>we were hoping to get a younger Plax and what we got instead was a taller Sinorice Moss</FONT>.</P>

lol</P>

Morehead State
06-22-2012, 03:12 PM
I was a huge Barden guy when we first got him....heII even last year. But in four years he still has to work on seperation and no burst and no speed. Ive lost my enthusiasm for this kid. Like a previous story said...<FONT size=4>we were hoping to get a younger Plax and what we got instead was a taller Sinorice Moss</FONT>.</P>

lol</P>

</P>

Best post here in a while.</P>

chasjay
06-22-2012, 03:16 PM
LOL..

FREE RAMSES!

I seem to remember when he was drafted that there was talk that he had trouble dealing with getting jammed trying to get off the LOS. It's time to get that figured out.

On another note, I heard on Sirius NFL this morning that as of now MM is no better than No. 3 on the SF receiver list and might even be No. 4.

Morehead State
06-22-2012, 03:32 PM
LOL.. Barden is working on getting separation in his 4thr year. Its like a QB working on hitting the broad side of a barn in his 4th year. FREE RAMSES!

I seem to remember when he was drafted that there was talk that he had trouble dealing with getting jammed trying to get off the LOS. It's time to get that figured out.

On another note, I heard on Sirius NFL this morning that as of now MM is no better than No. 3 on the SF receiver list and might even be No. 4.
</P>

I don't beleive that for a second. he's at least as good as anyone on that team.</P>

MikeIsaGiant
06-22-2012, 03:33 PM
LOL.. Barden is working on getting separation in his 4thr year. Its like a QB working on hitting the broad side of a barn in his 4th year. FREE RAMSES!

</P>

I don't beleive that for a second.* he's at least as good as anyone on that team.</P>

100% agree

FBomb
06-22-2012, 03:40 PM
Words.........nothing more. You want it....take it.

NWKEffectElement
06-22-2012, 04:06 PM
LOL..

FREE RAMSES!

If that is true it has to be his unwillingness to learn the playbook.

Neverend
06-22-2012, 04:39 PM
Its pretty much over for barden if he doesnt improve this year

GMENAGAIN
06-22-2012, 05:15 PM
Its pretty much over for barden if he doesnt improve this year</P>

Agreed. </P>

chasjay
06-22-2012, 06:43 PM

</p>

I don't beleive that for a second. he's at least as good as anyone on that team.</p>

I agree with you on that point. It was on the early slot (about 7:00 A.M. CDT) Amani and Ross Tucker were hosting and Tucker quoted one of the 49er coaches as saying that at this point, Crabtree and Moss were 1 &amp; 2 with another WR as the first choice for the slot (I don't remember the name right now). Tucker asked Amani if he thought MM could be effective out of the slot and Amani said "absolutely". That's about when I pulled in to the office - only have Sirius in the car.

Captain Chaos
06-22-2012, 07:06 PM
Much to make out of nothing review the Gilbride tape and you will find the discussion about a speed guy to take Manningham's place, notice a couple of other guys who were not mentioned. Typical media misrepresenting the facts. That said Barden has to prove himself this year and so does Jerrnigan and Hixon.

jomo
06-22-2012, 07:09 PM
Much to make out of nothing review the Gilbride tape and you will find the discussion about a speed guy to take Manningham's place, notice a couple of other guys who were not mentioned. Typical media misrepresenting the facts. That said Barden has to prove himself this year and so does Jerrnigan and Hixon...........all for different reasons but this is definitely true. They need to show us something quickly; Barden because he has never done it, JJ because as a second year player he needs to show that he learned something last year in the class room and is ready to move to the next level, Hixon because he needs to show us that the acl's will not end his career. We should be able to get one out of those three.

Breezely
06-22-2012, 08:32 PM
LOVE the attitude!!!!! Good luck big guy> Well, any way. . . . . .I am more intrigued about this Brandon Collins dude!!!

miked1958
06-22-2012, 09:04 PM
I'd love to see barden make good on his hype from when he was drafted. He doesnt really have to win the starting job to contribute. We will prob carry 6-7 WRs..
Nicks
Cruz
Randall
Hixon
Barden
JJ............. If they keep 7 then maybe Collins or Depalma

miked1958
06-22-2012, 09:09 PM
If they don't keep 7 then a few of these guys wind up on the practice squad just for safe keeping

miked1958
06-23-2012, 02:33 AM
I'd love to see barden make good on his hype from when he was drafted. He doesnt really have to win the starting job to contribute. We will prob carry 6-7 WRs..
Nicks
Cruz
Randall
Hixon
Barden
JJ............. If they keep 7 then maybe Collins or DepalmaDoes anyone even agree or disagree on this???

JJC7301
06-24-2012, 12:23 AM
Eh, with this guy I'm in the "I'll believe it when I see it mode" . . . . . </P>

This Barden propaganda*is starting to remind me about all of the articles about Ron Dayne before each season, how he had improved his quickness, gotten stronger, blah, blah, blah . . . . . </P>

Time for this guy to do it on the field and to let him walk if he can't . . .* .</P>
+1. Word. It's not that I wouldn't be surprised if he actually started contributing, but at this point it's "I'll believe it when I see it."

I have more faith in him than I ever did in Sinorice Moss.

jomo
06-24-2012, 12:33 AM

This Barden propagandais starting to remind me about all of the articles about Ron Dayne before each season, how he had improved his quickness, gotten stronger, blah, blah, blah . . . . . </P>

Time for this guy to do it on the field and to let him walk if he can't . . . .</P> +1. Word. It's not that I wouldn't be surprised if he actually started contributing, but at this point it's "I'll believe it when I see it." I have more faith in him than I ever did in Sinorice Moss.Well, let's just set the bar low on faith. lol

jomo
06-24-2012, 12:33 AM

Time for this guy to do it on the field and to let him walk if he can't . . . .</P> +1. Word. It's not that I wouldn't be surprised if he actually started contributing, but at this point it's "I'll believe it when I see it." I have more faith in him than I ever did in Sinorice Moss.Well, let's just set the bar low on faith. lol

chasjay
06-24-2012, 12:40 AM
Gilbride's comments on his speed don't sound encouraging:

<div class="impact">The feeling among league evaluators is that Barden
"can't run," and Gilbride's concerns echo that sentiment. Gilbride says
he wishes Barden was "two-tenths of a second faster. ... He still has
areas he needs to improve on to create separation from defenders."
Barden's size (6'6/224) looks good getting off the bus, but the Giants
aren't going to play him if he can't get open. <span class="date">May 31 - 10:50 AM</span></div> <div class="info"><div class="source">Source: Newark Star-Ledger (http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/05/with_hakeem_nicks_sidelined_gi.html)</div></div>

THE_New_York_Giants
06-24-2012, 12:41 AM
Nicks
Cruz
Randall
Hixon
Barden
JJ............. If they keep 7 then maybe Collins or DepalmaDoes anyone even agree or disagree on this???

It'd be pretty sick if we had that many weapons.

Antwuan
06-24-2012, 04:12 AM
Pretty much a make or break year for Barden.

Diamondring
06-24-2012, 07:37 AM
Barden is still somewhat like a rookie because he really didn't play a full year. I also think that it is time for the Giants to let him go if he can't stay healthy..

miked1958
06-24-2012, 05:30 PM
Barden is still somewhat like a rookie because he really didn't play a full year. I also think that it is time for the Giants to let him go if he can't stay healthy..Agreed

GeoGoGo
06-24-2012, 09:01 PM
I would love to see him become productive. The thought of 6'6" Barden and Bennett together in the green zone is very intriguing!

thomsoad
06-25-2012, 12:16 PM

Barden has shown plenty of promise.....in practice without pads. I don't know who you've been watching but the guy has the tools, he just seems to not show up when there's contact involved.

Which is exactly the scenario as Sinorice Moss. Why do you think we kept him for 4 years? Great promise (in Moss case it was speed) in the preseason and scrimmage but contributing nothing when it came to game time.

ShakeNBake
06-25-2012, 04:25 PM

Which is exactly the scenario as Sinorice Moss. Why do you think we kept him for 4 years? Great promise (in Moss case it was speed) in the preseason and scrimmage but contributing nothing when it came to game time.

I understand what you mean, we've had plenty of these types of players, I just think a better analogy would be say Anthony Mix

thomsoad
06-25-2012, 04:45 PM

I understand what you mean, we've had plenty of these types of players, I just think a better analogy would be say Anthony Mix

Sinorice Moss was a 2nd round draft pick; Ramses was a 3rd round (that we traded a 5th and 3rd for); ...Anthony Mix was undrafted. Im gonna stick with the Sinorice camparison. :)

mercurig
06-25-2012, 06:31 PM
The Giants coaches are so concerned with Barden getting separation and moves after the catch. They need to use him like in college. At 6'6" he goes 10 yards down the field and catches the ball, first down. He goes into the end zone, touchdown. Who can cover him if the ball is on target? He doesn't need the moves of Cruz or Hicks to be successful. Now that Eli's accuracy has improved, he is a medium to deep threat and gives the offense a different type of weapon to use.

Captain Chaos
06-25-2012, 07:18 PM
The Giants coaches are so concerned with Barden getting separation and moves after the catch. They need to use him like in college. At 6'6" he goes 10 yards down the field and catches the ball, first down. He goes into the end zone, touchdown. Who can cover him if the ball is on target? He doesn't need the moves of Cruz or Hicks to be successful. Now that Eli's accuracy has improved, he is a medium to deep threat and gives the offense a different type of weapon to use.

I think you are right with the mismatches he can create, can cause coverages to adjust to his size (that is if he gets out there and catches the ball). I for one am looking forward to the competition.

ShakeNBake
06-25-2012, 09:13 PM

Sinorice Moss was a 2nd round draft pick; Ramses was a 3rd round (that we traded a 5th and 3rd for); ...Anthony Mix was undrafted. Im gonna stick with the Sinorice camparison. :)

Moss and Barden are two different types of receiver, what round they were drafted in in this case is about as relevant as comparing JPP and Prince since they were both drafted as first rounders.

thomsoad
06-25-2012, 10:14 PM
You are looking at it from a size/speed aspect. Im looking at it more of what we gave up to aquire them. Mix cost us nothing. The other 2 costs us significantly more then just a mere walk on.

NorwoodBlue
06-25-2012, 10:30 PM
So far, Barden has shown he's got Div II college talent that doesn't translate to the NFL. I'm far more inclined to believe Ruben Randall will be the #3 receiver right from the get go. He's got size and speed that should make him a huge threat against a nickle back in single coverage.

chasjay
06-26-2012, 12:08 AM
So far, Barden has shown he's got Div II college talent that doesn't translate to the NFL. I'm far more inclined to believe Ruben Randall will be the #3 receiver right from the get go. He's got size and speed that should make him a huge threat against a nickle back in single coverage.

I'm not against Barden - would love to see him do well. But I do think Randle has more of the classic skill-set for a wideout. If Barden succeeds, it will from a rare mix of physical tools and talents.

giantsfan420
06-26-2012, 12:51 AM
well thats what makes cruz so special, so hopefully barden finds the key to the lock of success...

and i agree about randle too...i wanted to take him in the 1rst if k.wright was gone...we get him last pick of the 2nd?!?! god is a giants fan, im certain of it...

no nickelback in the league will be able to match up with randle if he can learn the offense...but cruz will also play a lot from the slot and no nickel back can stop him...hopefully between cruz, randle, barden, jj, hixon, etc etc we got a guy who is good enough on the perimeter that allows us to move whoever we'd like into the slot whenver we'd like