PDA

View Full Version : Martellus Bennett on Cowboys Hard Knocks

YATittle1962
06-22-2012, 07:58 PM
ok...I understand this show was 4 years ago and he was a rookie at the time.....let me first say that

but somethings about people just do not change

NFLN has been running the'08 Cowboys HK....and a lot of it revolves around Bennett

this guy comes off as an entitled , arrogant, unwilling to learn, lazy, eye rolling know it all who has a big problem with authority in this show...the Cowboy coaches are constantly on his case and complaining about these very issues

like I said..... obviously he was a rookie and had a lot to learn....but no ones personality can COMPLETELY change

Im sure some of these traits are still there

I can't help but wonder if he is rolling his eyes at coach Pope acting similarly to the way he did in the show

in no way shape or form can I see coach Coughlin putting up with what coach Phillips put up with from this guy

FBomb
06-22-2012, 08:09 PM
Totally disagree with that.</P>

Disrespective behavior, over inflated self worth, "eye rolling" are something ALL young people go through. It's a rite of passage. Testing boundries. MOST grow out of it.</P>

If he hasn't, he will very quickly under The General.</P>

redbeardxxv
06-22-2012, 08:11 PM
I'm hesitant any time we take a player from the Cowboys. MB is no exception. Dallas' culture is to blame. Going back to the 90's teams, players in that city all have a sense of entitlement and an attitude of SELF rather than TEAM. Witten is the exception to the rule that proves it. MB better be ready to adjust, like it or not, he's a GIANT now. He needs to act the part. If he doesn't, I have no doubt TC will handle him.

chasjay
06-22-2012, 08:16 PM
I agree that no one's true nature changes. If Bennett can't suppress the "me, me, me attitude" he won't get far with TC. To be a success with the Giants he'll not only have to accept that he's just a cog in the machine, he'll have to work like *** to be the best cog he can be.

Your point about people's having an innate nature that does not change is one reason I can't accept M. Vick as being a changed man. But that's another story and this isn't the time.

I hope that Bennett wants to succeed with the Giants enough that it overcomes his ego.

YATittle1962
06-22-2012, 08:22 PM

Disrespective behavior, over inflated self worth, "eye rolling" are something ALL young people go through.* It's a rite of passage.* Testing boundries.* MOST grow out of it.</P>

only thing I've seen from rookies is humbleness , willingness to learn, and being extremely grateful for an opportunity

I saw none of that from him

and I doubt it was all editing

RoanokeFan
06-22-2012, 08:48 PM
Totally disagree with that.</p>

Disrespective behavior, over inflated self worth, "eye rolling" are something ALL young people go through. It's a rite of passage. Testing boundries. MOST grow out of it.</p>

If he hasn't, he will very quickly under The General.</p>

only thing I've seen from rookies is humbleness , willingness to learn, and being extremely grateful for an opportunity

Wouldn't you think he'd see this as an opportunity of a life time and work his *** off?

miked1958
06-22-2012, 09:10 PM
ok...I understand this show was 4 years ago and he was a rookie at the time.....let me first say that

NFLN has been running the'08 Cowboys HK....and a lot of it revolves around Bennett

this guy comes off as an entitled , arrogant, unwilling to learn, lazy, eye rolling know it all who has a big problem with authority in this show...the Cowboy coaches are constantly on his case and complaining about these very issues

like I said..... obviously he was a rookie and had a lot to learn....but no ones personality can COMPLETELY change

I can't help but wonder if he is rolling his eyes at coach Pope acting similarly to the way he did in the show

in no way shape or form can I see coach Coughlin putting up with what coach Phillips put up with from this guyGiants coaches won't allow that. They have a knack for taking coal and with some polish they turn it to a diamond

Redeyejedi
06-22-2012, 09:24 PM

Disrespective behavior, over inflated self worth, "eye rolling" are something ALL young people go through.* It's a rite of passage.* Testing boundries.* MOST grow out of it.</P>

and I doubt it was all editinghope he is driven by wanting a contract

YATittle1962
06-22-2012, 09:45 PM

Disrespective behavior, over inflated self worth, "eye rolling" are something ALL young people go through.* It's a rite of passage.* Testing boundries.* MOST grow out of it.</p>

Wouldn't you think he'd see this as an opportunity of a life time and work his *** off?

I would hope so Roa

but wouldn't you think being chosen in the second round of the NFL draft would be thought of as an opportunity of a lifetime ?

FBomb
06-22-2012, 10:15 PM

Disrespective behavior, over inflated self worth, "eye rolling" are something ALL young people go through. It's a rite of passage. Testing boundries. MOST grow out of it.</P>

only thing I've seen from rookies is humbleness , willingness to learn, and being extremely grateful for an opportunity I saw none of that from him and I doubt it was all editing</P>

What Idisagree with is the notion that it's a lifelong behavior. People change all the time. Especially young people.</P>

ny06
06-22-2012, 10:34 PM
I'm hoping the winning atmosphere and team first attitude rubs off on Martellus Bennett.</P>

If not, just put JPP across him for a week. He'll be singing a different tune real quick. </P>

</P>

Neverend
06-22-2012, 10:49 PM
Interesting you brought this up YA. I remember reading some saying martellus bennett's character concerns or any type of work ethic conerns in the past were just unsupported or not factual at all

Either way, by adding a lot of muscle and turning himself into "a freak" (according to him) hopefully that tells you this kid has turned the corner and is going to work his ***** off this year

Rat_bastich
06-22-2012, 11:57 PM
One thing that Bennett will find out, if this is how he still is, that the players have Coughlin's back. Coughlin has even convinced players like Rolle that his way is the best and has made him a believer. I think that Bennett will not be allowed by his peers to become a distraction.

Just hoping and believeing until he proves otherwise that this is his past.

pino
06-23-2012, 12:12 AM

only thing I've seen from rookies is humbleness , willingness to learn, and being extremely grateful for an opportunity I saw none of that from him and I doubt it was all editing</P>

What I*disagree with is the notion that it's a lifelong behavior.* People change all the time.* Especially young people.</P>

I have to agree. Most people change. I know I did a lot of foolishness in my younger years.

He's got good opportunity to help defend our title. It's time for him to take things more seriously and professionally.

MikeIsaGiant
06-23-2012, 12:30 AM
He's finally on a hard-working, disciplined team.

Not only that, but former SB champs.

If he doesn't know he needs to ship up, he doesn't belong in the NFL.

This might be his final shot to crack a NFL starting position IMO

NYG 5
06-23-2012, 08:33 AM
I don't see any real risk with the guy. He's just a free agent, the giants didn't have to pay much to get him, and if it doesn't work out he still has some trade value.

Worst case is he becomes trade bait. They'll at least get a guy who should be able to use his big body to catch the ball over mose linebackers and safeties, and can run block.

Realistically, I'm only afraid of him becoming injury plagued.

T-Murda84
06-23-2012, 08:43 AM
In a way theres still a real risk. We didnt draft Fleener because the organization thought M. Bennett has the potential to be great. If he struggles here, he will not become trade bait, he will just get cut.

Lets see how good his character is when Coughlin pushes him this camp. Hopefully he works out, but he hasnt shown us anything since being drafted.

benched
06-23-2012, 09:08 AM

What I*disagree with is the notion that it's a lifelong behavior.* People change all the time.* Especially young people.</P>

FB...Obviously, you have not "grown out of it"

JK...couldn't resist

JesseJames
06-23-2012, 10:42 AM
I still wish we drafted Fleener and left Bennett in Dallas...

slipknottin
06-23-2012, 10:47 AM
Can never really get too hard on these 21-22 year olds. They are still kids.

If someone kept telling me I was great, gave me millions of dollars, id act the same way.

But desire to be the best and get paid like the best eventually overwhelms that.

Meanhothead
06-23-2012, 10:48 AM
I'm going to form my opinion once I see this kid play for us.

He'll have his opportunity.

I'm not going to form an opinion about anything associated with the Cowboys, especially when their head coach has been quoted saying "we need run our team more like the NY Giants"

SweetZombieJesus
06-23-2012, 10:58 AM
I'm hesitant any time we take a player from the Cowboys. MB is no exception. Dallas' culture is to blame. Going back to the 90's teams, players in that city all have a sense of entitlement and an attitude of SELF rather than TEAM. Witten is the exception to the rule that proves it. MB better be ready to adjust, like it or not, he's a GIANT now. He needs to act the part. If he doesn't, I have no doubt TC will handle him.

Maybe Canty, having been on both sides of the fence and experiencing both the defeat of Dallas arrogance and the victory of NYG team first attitude, can grab him by the neck and preach the truth to him.

Mercury
06-23-2012, 11:40 AM
I've haven't seen or heard anything to indicate that Bennett is not taking his opportunity with the Giants seriously. He's worked his butt off to add muscle in the off season.

and yes, people do grow up.

FBomb
06-23-2012, 12:35 PM

What Idisagree with is the notion that it's a lifelong behavior. People change all the time. Especially young people.</P>

FB...Obviously, you have not "grown out of it" JK...couldn't resist</P>

Well....some of us NEVER grow up.[:)]</P>

scoopscj
06-23-2012, 01:41 PM
Well put, some good points about his character but with age does come wisdom and people can change. Let's compare Victor Cruz to Bennett in one tiny detail. During the SB run, Cruz toward the end said things like, "I used to think it was all about me, and now about team." I believe he said that in one of the sounds of the game segments. People do change. Tom always preaches "SHOW ME" and talk is cheap. Let's see what he does on the field.

We don't need him to be Bavaro, but it would be great if he could be as good as Howard Cross.

Scoops

Toadofsteel
06-23-2012, 01:50 PM
Well, if going to a team that has a history of championship and workmanship and a tough-as-nails HC made Ochocinco shut up and just play the game, I believe the same can be done with Bennett. I just hope Bennett can learn our offense better than Chad85 did for the pats...

BlueReign
06-23-2012, 02:16 PM
I'm going to form my opinion once I see this kid play for us.

He'll have his opportunity.

I'm not going to form an opinion about anything associated with the Cowboys, especially when their head coach has been quoted saying "we need run our team more like the NY Giants"
Cannot agree more with this statement.

benched
06-23-2012, 04:19 PM

I sure never have...Jammed with my sons in my basement studio to 3 AM last night. Too old for that

FBomb
06-23-2012, 04:24 PM

I sure never have...Jammed with my sons in my basement studio to 3 AM last night. Too old for that</P>

I hear ya.......Got a gig tonight that will nearly kill me. Loading up on the Gatorade and Ibprophen as we speak!!!</P>

JMFP2
06-23-2012, 07:31 PM
I'm hoping the winning atmosphere and team first attitude rubs off on Martellus Bennett.</P>

If not, just put JPP across him for a week. He'll be singing a different tune real quick. </P>

</P>

</P>

+1</P>

THE_New_York_Giants
06-23-2012, 07:40 PM

i never grew out of it. Then again I've always known I was awesome,

bLuereverie
06-23-2012, 08:13 PM
Can't say I have a lot of expectations from him outside of blocking, but I still do have hope.

There really wasn't much to hate from the signing as it was at a position of need for a one year deal, though I would have rather brought back Shiancoe.

He can make all the immature youtube rap videos he wants as long as it doesn't leak onto the field.

Delicreep
06-23-2012, 10:00 PM

in no way shape or form can I see coach Coughlin putting up with what coach Phillips put up with from this guy

There's a kid I work with who I gave a nickname to: "tofu"

When he finally asked why tofu, I told him that he is tofu--absolutely no flavor of his own, but he absorbs the flavors of whatever he is surrounded by, good or bad.

Gonna bet Reese knows tofu when he sees it, and knows that the Gmen will bring out the best in him

Captain Chaos
06-24-2012, 06:49 AM

in no way shape or form can I see coach Coughlin putting up with what coach Phillips put up with from this guyGiants coaches won't allow that. They have a knack for taking coal and with some polish they turn it to a diamond

Coaches won't allow it???? How about his peers? I just don't see the leadership on this team accepting that kind of behavior.

GMENAGAIN
06-24-2012, 08:37 AM
In a way theres still a real risk. We didnt draft Fleener because the organization thought M. Bennett has the potential to be great. If he struggles here, he will not become trade bait, he will just get cut. Lets see how good his character is when Coughlin pushes him this camp. Hopefully he works out, but he hasnt shown us anything since being drafted.</P>

That's ridiculous. We didn't draft a TE because we signed Bennett to a one year $2.5M deal?</P>

GMENAGAIN
06-24-2012, 08:44 AM
I remember that Hard Knocks season well. Garrett was the one specifically assigned to work with Bennett but wasn't having much luck.</P>

I am willing to accept the fact that people can change, but has this guy shown anything to make us believe that? He followed up his Hard Knocks showing with 4 years of underachievement, after which the Cowboys were happy to let him walk. The best deal that he could get on theFA market was a one-year, $2.5M "show me" deal, which shows that the other teams in the NFL (including the Giants) still have a lot of reservations about the guy.</P>

In the end, though, it's not much of a risk for the Giants. He's on a one year deal and if he doesn't shape up, he'll be gone . . . . . </P>

RoanokeFan
06-24-2012, 09:01 AM

Disrespective behavior, over inflated self worth, "eye rolling" are something ALL young people go through. It's a rite of passage. Testing boundries. MOST grow out of it.</p>

I would hope so Roa

but wouldn't you think being chosen in the second round of the NFL draft would be thought of as an opportunity of a lifetime ?

Can't argue with that [:)]

nygfanmaybe
06-24-2012, 09:06 AM
All I can say is this...if he is anything close to the guy that I saw on Hard Knocks then he won't make it through training camp. The fact that the 'boys game up on him is not a good indication that he is willing to change, either.

jomo
06-24-2012, 09:36 AM
If he were perfect, we wouldn't have gotten him for the modest price and contract length. So why not just let this one play out? He did come to camp carrying some extra weight which is a small red flag. However, we have a mature coaching staff and great TE coach along with a team approach to winning that will give him the best shot to realize his potential. All of that won't be enough if he arrives with the wrong attitude. It won't take long for this all to reveal itself, no more than a few months.

mainegiantsfan
06-24-2012, 10:19 AM
I predict that MB will do just fine as far as attitude goes. He had a lot of short passes that didn't show well in traffic. Hope he is given a chance to stretch out the field. I think once he gets in stride, he will be a very good end for us. We all know he can block very well.

chasjay
06-24-2012, 10:20 AM
If he were perfect, we wouldn't have gotten him for the modest price and contract length. So why not just let this one play out? He did come to camp carrying some extra weight which is a small red flag. However, we have a mature coaching staff and great TE coach along with a team approach to winning that will give him the best shot to realize his potential. All of that won't be enough if he arrives with the wrong attitude. It won't take long for this all to reveal itself, no more than a few months.

His me-first nature may not change, but given the TE situation we have, the potential he has here to make a name (and money) for himself should give him the drive to succeed. There is no Whitten in front of him now.

You're right - we'll know pretty soon.

slipknottin
06-24-2012, 02:06 PM
the cowboys did try to retain bennett, but he had no interest in staying there behind Witten.

Bennett did develop into the best blocking TE in the league. While his receiving never lived up to expectation, he was far from a bad player.

GMENAGAIN
06-24-2012, 02:45 PM
the cowboys did try to retain bennett, but he had no interest in staying there behind Witten. Bennett did develop into the best blocking TE in the league. While his receiving never lived up to expectation, he was far from a bad player.</P>

The Cowboys couldn't have tried to hard to re-sign Bennett if he ended up signing for 1 year and $2.5M. Any link(s) on what Dallas offered?</P>

I don't think that anyone is saying that he was a bad player . . . . just a player who don't live up to expectations . . . . </P>

Neverend
06-24-2012, 02:55 PM
the cowboys did try to retain bennett, but he had no interest in staying there behind Witten. Bennett did develop into the best blocking TE in the league. While his receiving never lived up to expectation, he was far from a bad player.</P>

The Cowboys couldn't have tried to hard to re-sign Bennett if he ended up signing for 1 year and $2.5M.* Any link(s) on what Dallas offered?</P>

I don't think that anyone is saying that he was a bad player . . . . just a player who don't live up to expectations . . . . </P>

I don't think the cowboys offered him anything. Might be off base on this one but I think Bennett and the cowboys just met with eachother for closure before he signed with the giants. and i also remember it being reported he said 'he wanted to be the number 1 guy'

I'm not sure if it was ever reported dallas offered anything, specifically

Neverend
06-24-2012, 02:56 PM
the cowboys did try to retain bennett, but he had no interest in staying there behind Witten.

Bennett did develop into the best blocking TE in the league. While his receiving never lived up to expectation, he was far from a bad player.

Just curious, what makes Bennett "the best" blocking TE in the entire league? Or I'm guessing thats just your subjective opinion?

NYGinIN
06-24-2012, 03:17 PM

Notions of 'best' --even in the face of so-called objective numbers -- is going to be subjective. Now, of course, one can argue their point convincingly, but no one is going to obtain some form of Truth on the matter.

Just curious, what makes Bennett "the best" blocking TE in the entire league? Or I'm guessing thats just your subjective opinion?

NYGinIN
06-24-2012, 03:18 PM

Notions of 'best' --even in the face of so-called objective numbers -- is going to be subjective. Now, of course, one can argue their point convincingly, but no one is going to obtain some form of Truth on the matter.

oops

Neverend
06-24-2012, 03:24 PM

oops

I agree completely. Its just that I hear bennett is the best blocking TE in the NFL quite often at times, to the point where I'm thinking its almost an actual consensus. Would like to hear some reasoning every once and a while why someone would come to terms with such a lofty position saying that he's the very best.

slipknottin
06-24-2012, 03:32 PM
I agree completely. Its just that I hear bennett is the best blocking TE in the NFL quite often at times, to the point where I'm thinking its almost an actual consensus. Would like to hear some reasoning every once and a while why someone would come to terms with such a lofty position saying that he's the very best.

Ok, top 5 blocking TE.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/03/14/fantasy-reaction-martellus-bennett-signs-with-the-giants/

I watched cowboys vs. the lions and they left Bennett one on one against Cliff Avril a large part of the game, as they had Tyron Smith block down and double Suh. Avril got nowhere near Romo all game.

Neverend
06-24-2012, 03:50 PM

Ok, top 5 blocking TE.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/03/14/fantasy-reaction-martellus-bennett-signs-with-the-giants/

I watched cowboys vs. the lions and they left Bennett one on one against Cliff Avril a large part of the game, as they had Tyron Smith block down and double Suh. Avril got nowhere near Romo all game.

thanks for the link, very good read. I'm just confused because i read that often about bennett being the best blocking te in the nfl but also hear he doesn't get enough snaps for the cowboys because of whitten. Never really made sense to me how a player buried by a star could also be the best at what he does blocking-wise in the nfl on presumably what would be a small sample size

But I guess, according to that link, they just didn't send him out on routes often but dallas loved him as a blocker. Strange tho... you'd think they want to give bennett more oppurtunities in the passing game than just dump offs and screens

slipknottin
06-24-2012, 04:24 PM
Dallas really used him as almost an extra lineman, who occasionally ran routes.

BigBlueHits
06-24-2012, 06:12 PM
Kinda judgmental dont ya think? People get humbled in different ways at different points in their life. He was highly thought of coming out of college and then he realized after years in the league he had to change something.
As far as not changing personalities...what would you say Tom Coughlin has done?

GMENAGAIN
06-24-2012, 06:46 PM
I agree completely. Its just that I hear bennett is the best blocking TE in the NFL quite often at times, to the point where I'm thinking its almost an actual consensus. Would like to hear some reasoning every once and a while why someone would come to terms with such a lofty position saying that he's the very best. Ok, top 5 blocking TE. http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/03/14/fantasy-reaction-martellus-bennett-signs-with-the-giants/ I watched cowboys vs. the lions and they left Bennett one on one against Cliff Avril a large part of the game, as they had Tyron Smith block down and double Suh. Avril got nowhere near Romo all game.</P>

Maybe we've decided to change course at the TE position.</P>

Instead of having acquiring good receivers and teaching them to block, we're acquiring good blockers (Bennett and Robinson) and teaching them how to catch????</P>

YATittle1962
06-24-2012, 07:22 PM
I agree completely. Its just that I hear bennett is the best blocking TE in the NFL quite often at times, to the point where I'm thinking its almost an actual consensus. Would like to hear some reasoning every once and a while why someone would come to terms with such a lofty position saying that he's the very best. Ok, top 5 blocking TE. http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/03/14/fantasy-reaction-martellus-bennett-signs-with-the-giants/ I watched cowboys vs. the lions and they left Bennett one on one against Cliff Avril a large part of the game, as they had Tyron Smith block down and double Suh. Avril got nowhere near Romo all game.</P>

Maybe we've decided to change course at the TE position.</P>

Instead of having acquiring good receivers and teaching them to block, we're acquiring good blockers (Bennett and Robinson) and teaching them how to catch????</P>

Ballard was a pleasant surprise in that very category

EliTE
06-24-2012, 07:28 PM
im thinking that way too. it's easier to teach a big bodied blocking tight end to run routes and catch the ball than it is for an undersized receiving te to develop into a good blocker.

YATittle1962
06-24-2012, 07:30 PM
Kinda judgmental dont ya think? People get humbled in different ways at different points in their life. He was highly thought of coming out of college and then he realized after years in the league he had to change something.
As far as not changing personalities...what would you say Tom Coughlin has done?

Judgemental?

it's an observation

I observed him being a fool on a nationally televised program

my judgement was that he came off as a lazy, entitled, selfish, uncoachable, unwilling to learn , eye roller with zero humbleness

I have not seen or heard anything different about him in his 4 years in the league

so unless someone can flip a switch and be a completely different person then I don't predict a whole lot changing

I hope I'm wrong because this guy has the physical attributes of Adonis......but obviously not much intellect

stormin normand
06-24-2012, 07:36 PM
All young people go through that ?
Perhaps... but he was old enough at the time that shpuld have been woked out of him even back then.

That would have gotten me cuffed but good, had I tried that with my dad. or my Drill Sergeants etc at that age.

Organized sports especially at that level and military service share a common denominator or at least should and that is discipline and respect.

Ive cufeed a few disrespectful arrogant spoile brats in my day always seemed to work wonders.

I imagine the vets on the team will attept to apply attitude adjustment when and where neccessary. That failing a good swift kick in the seat of the pants by he coaching staff perhaps all the way out the gate may be needed.

Our ammo we are superbowl champs 2 recently you want in on the fun we have rules!!!

GeoGoGo
06-24-2012, 07:55 PM

Diamonds are made from coal, heat and pressure. Not polish! :)

I get your gist!

I really hope Coughlin and Pope can 'straighten his ***** out...' to quote Alec Baldwin.

Martin
06-24-2012, 08:39 PM
At this point in time going against Jerry Reese doesn't make sense. Jerry after winning 2 SBowls as GM has made outstanding signings.

I am not a coach yet I have watched the game for over 40 yrs and M Bennett looks to be a great blocker. He is very athletic and very agile with excellent speed.

If he transforms his attitude like a NY Giant (which is very possible) I beleive he will be very productive for the team.

Again I cannot go against the decisions that Jerry Reese has made.

I do understand his attitude has not been NYG attitude but my bet is this will change and quick!!

giantsfan420
06-24-2012, 09:38 PM

Ok, top 5 blocking TE.

thanks for the link, very good read. I'm just confused because i read that often about bennett being the best blocking te in the nfl but also hear he doesn't get enough snaps for the cowboys because of whitten. Never really made sense to me how a player buried by a star could also be the best at what he does blocking-wise in the nfl on presumably what would be a small sample size

But I guess, according to that link, they just didn't send him out on routes often but dallas loved him as a blocker. Strange tho... you'd think they want to give bennett more oppurtunities in the passing game than just dump offs and screens

well witten was and is romos number 1 target iirc. so it just wouldnt make much sense imo to send both te's out on routes if one of the te's is the 1rst read and the other ones the 5th read, and when one of em is witten, and the other one is a great blocker. plus we dont really know dallas's scheme or what romo saw at the LOS with bennett in, he coulda just audibled bennett to stay in and block over and over...

when he first came into the league i remember that bennett was being touted as this physical specimen who would be lethal in the passing game, and things went about te complete opposite looking back. bennett is a great blocking te but hasnt proven himself in the passing game.

bennett def has the athleticism and ability to be a weapon in the pass game, lets see how much of his stunted growth came at the expense of being behind witten and how much was bennett just not getting the job done....

and dallas did want to keep bennett. it was reported that they were upset they lost him...dallas did invest a 2nd into him just a few years ago, and im sure they realize the dilemma being behind witten on the depth chart and in the pecking order of romos targets. i dont know if a contract was offered but i do know dallas was in talks with trying to resign him, bennett just made it known he wanted to be "the guy" and thatd be impossible in dallas

GMENAGAIN
06-24-2012, 10:05 PM
I agree completely. Its just that I hear bennett is the best blocking TE in the NFL quite often at times, to the point where I'm thinking its almost an actual consensus. Would like to hear some reasoning every once and a while why someone would come to terms with such a lofty position saying that he's the very best. Ok, top 5 blocking TE. http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/03/14/fantasy-reaction-martellus-bennett-signs-with-the-giants/ I watched cowboys vs. the lions and they left Bennett one on one against Cliff Avril a large part of the game, as they had Tyron Smith block down and double Suh. Avril got nowhere near Romo all game. thanks for the link, very good read. I'm just confused because i read that often about bennett being the best blocking te in the nfl but also hear he doesn't get enough snaps for the cowboys because of whitten. Never really made sense to me how a player buried by a star could also be the best at what he does blocking-wise in the nfl on presumably what would be a small sample size But I guess, according to that link, they just didn't send him out on routes often but dallas loved him as a blocker. Strange tho... you'd think they want to give bennett more oppurtunities in the passing game than just dump offs and screens well witten was and is romos number 1 target iirc. so it just wouldnt make much sense imo to send both te's out on routes if one of the te's is the 1rst read and the other ones the 5th read, and when one of em is witten, and the other one is a great blocker. plus we dont really know dallas's scheme or what romo saw at the LOS with bennett in, he coulda just audibled bennett to stay in and block over and over... when he first came into the league i remember that bennett was being touted as this physical specimen who would be lethal in the passing game, and things went about te complete opposite looking back. bennett is a great blocking te but hasnt proven himself in the passing game. bennett def has the athleticism and ability to be a weapon in the pass game, lets see how much of his stunted growth came at the expense of being behind witten and how much was bennett just not getting the job done.... and dallas did want to keep bennett. it was reported that they were upset they lost him...dallas did invest a 2nd into him just a few years ago, and im sure they realize the dilemma being behind witten on the depth chart and in the pecking order of romos targets. i dont know if a contract was offered but i do know dallas was in talks with trying to resign him, bennett just made it known he wanted to be "the guy" and thatd be impossible in dallas</P>

Link on the Cowboys being upset that they lost him?</P>

How hard could they have tried to keep him if he left for a 1 year $2.5M deal????</P>

giantsfan420
06-24-2012, 10:20 PM
I agree completely. Its just that I hear bennett is the best blocking TE in the NFL quite often at times, to the point where I'm thinking its almost an actual consensus. Would like to hear some reasoning every once and a while why someone would come to terms with such a lofty position saying that he's the very best. Ok, top 5 blocking TE. http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/03/14/fantasy-reaction-martellus-bennett-signs-with-the-giants/ I watched cowboys vs. the lions and they left Bennett one on one against Cliff Avril a large part of the game, as they had Tyron Smith block down and double Suh. Avril got nowhere near Romo all game. thanks for the link, very good read. I'm just confused because i read that often about bennett being the best blocking te in the nfl but also hear he doesn't get enough snaps for the cowboys because of whitten. Never really made sense to me how a player buried by a star could also be the best at what he does blocking-wise in the nfl on presumably what would be a small sample size But I guess, according to that link, they just didn't send him out on routes often but dallas loved him as a blocker. Strange tho... you'd think they want to give bennett more oppurtunities in the passing game than just dump offs and screens well witten was and is romos number 1 target iirc. so it just wouldnt make much sense imo to send both te's out on routes if one of the te's is the 1rst read and the other ones the 5th read, and when one of em is witten, and the other one is a great blocker. plus we dont really know dallas's scheme or what romo saw at the LOS with bennett in, he coulda just audibled bennett to stay in and block over and over... when he first came into the league i remember that bennett was being touted as this physical specimen who would be lethal in the passing game, and things went about te complete opposite looking back. bennett is a great blocking te but hasnt proven himself in the passing game. bennett def has the athleticism and ability to be a weapon in the pass game, lets see how much of his stunted growth came at the expense of being behind witten and how much was bennett just not getting the job done.... and dallas did want to keep bennett. it was reported that they were upset they lost him...dallas did invest a 2nd into him just a few years ago, and im sure they realize the dilemma being behind witten on the depth chart and in the pecking order of romos targets. i dont know if a contract was offered but i do know dallas was in talks with trying to resign him, bennett just made it known he wanted to be "the guy" and thatd be impossible in dallas</P>

How hard could they have tried to keep him if he left for a 1 year $2.5M deal????</P>

i didnt write down the article link in case i'd be asked to prove im not just making it up....but there were reports that the cowboys FO and coaching staff were upset they lost bennett...

and from what i remember, bennett wasnt even entertaining the idea of returning to dallas. him signing with us is similar to the SS12 signing with philly last season in that he signed with them w/o apparently giving us a chance to match the offer. thats what my understanding is with bennett and dallas, he didnt even give them a chance to match the contract, that caught them off guard, and they were disappointed about it...is that hard to believe or something?

at the least im sure dallas isnt happy that we're getting a player they invested millions and millions and a 2nd round pick for cheap....

GMENAGAIN
06-25-2012, 06:38 AM

i didnt write down the article link in case i'd be asked to prove im not just making it up....but there were reports that the cowboys FO and coaching staff were upset they lost bennett... and from what i remember, bennett wasnt even entertaining the idea of returning to dallas. him signing with us is similar to the SS12 signing with philly last season in that he signed with them w/o apparently giving us a chance to match the offer. thats what my understanding is with bennett and dallas, he didnt even give them a chance to match the contract, that caught them off guard, and they were disappointed about it...is that hard to believe or something? at the least im sure dallas isnt happy that we're getting a player they invested millions and millions and a 2nd round pick for cheap....</P>

Actually, yes it is a little hard to believe that the Cowboys had much interest in re-signingBennett when he ended up signing somewhere else for only a 1 year $2.5M deal . . . and I don't recall reading anything that said that the Cowboys were "upset" that they lost Bennett . . . . .</P>

jakegibbs
06-25-2012, 08:06 AM

Are you still worried about Canty? He's seems to have fit in quite nicely on the D line IMHO anyway.

embeshAtYa
06-25-2012, 09:47 AM

Disrespective behavior, over inflated self worth, "eye rolling" are something ALL young people go through.* It's a rite of passage.* Testing boundries.* MOST grow out of it.</p>

And just hope some also said that in his face!!

MattMeyerBud
06-25-2012, 11:12 AM
i know what you are saying YA but ironically, the same could o fbeen said about Vernon Davis - he seems to be doing alright for the most part for San Fran

GMENAGAIN
06-25-2012, 11:33 AM
i know what you are saying YA but ironically, the same could o fbeen said about Vernon Davis - he seems to be doing alright for the most part for San Fran</P>

There are definitely guys who have changed their attitude and work ethicmid-career (like Vernon Davis and even our own Kerry Collins), but I would think that guys who do that after four years in the league are more of the exception to the rule . . . . . I hope that Bennett is one of them, though. </P>

Cool Papa B.
06-25-2012, 12:21 PM
I'm taking a wait-and-see approach with Bennett. I want to believe that he will be motivated to play his heart out this year and prove to the Giants and the NFL that he can be a top notch TE. And I want to believe that being with the NY footbal Giants, the team first and high work ethic will rub off of him. But I'm not 100% sold on his maturity and character.

I'm more excited about what Adrien Robinson can be in about a year with Coach Pope and Coughlin pushing him.

GMENAGAIN
06-25-2012, 12:28 PM
I'm taking a wait-and-see approach with Bennett. I want to believe that he will be motivated to play his heart out this year and prove to the Giants and the NFL that he can be a top notch TE. And I want to believe that being with the NY footbal Giants, the team first and high work ethic will rub off of him. But I'm not 100% sold on his maturity and character. I'm more excited about what Adrien Robinson can be in about a year with Coach Pope and Coughlin pushing him.</P>

Exactly the way that I feel about the TE position . . . . . </P>

YATittle1962
06-25-2012, 09:06 PM
i know what you are saying YA but ironically, the same could o fbeen said about Vernon Davis - he seems to be doing alright for the most part for San Fran

very good point Matt

Ntegrase96
06-26-2012, 12:23 AM
The gap between Davis and Bennett is vast though. Absolute physical specimens with issues have dominated the game for years now. Bennett just doesn't fall into that category-- he only has one of those traits.

If Bennett gets his act together the best he can be is viable receiving option/ a big red zone target. I just don't see him being elite by any means.

I have seen nothing from bennett to suggest that he will turn the corner. How he was as a rookie is exactly how he was his last year as well.

Of course, that's not to say that he can't turn it around. And even if he doesn't, he's no locker room cancer and he won't disrupt the team. Worst case scenario... The giants waste a roster spot for one year.

giantsfan420
06-26-2012, 03:35 AM
The gap between Davis and Bennett is vast though. Absolute physical specimens with issues have dominated the game for years now. Bennett just doesn't fall into that category-- he only has one of those traits.

If Bennett gets his act together the best he can be is viable receiving option/ a big red zone target. I just don't see him being elite by any means.

I have seen nothing from bennett to suggest that he will turn the corner. How he was as a rookie is exactly how he was his last year as well.

Of course, that's not to say that he can't turn it around. And even if he doesn't, he's no locker room cancer and he won't disrupt the team. Worst case scenario... The giants waste a roster spot for one year.

what? MB is every bit the physical specimen v.davis is...thats something i conceded even when he was a cowboy...the lack of success has nothing to do with any sort of physical limitation, with him, it seems tobe a)mental and b) timing (dallas having and featuring witten so heavily)

GMENAGAIN
06-26-2012, 06:36 AM
The gap between Davis and Bennett is vast though. Absolute physical specimens with issues have dominated the game for years now. Bennett just doesn't fall into that category-- he only has one of those traits. If Bennett gets his act together the best he can be is viable receiving option/ a big red zone target. I just don't see him being elite by any means. I have seen nothing from bennett to suggest that he will turn the corner. How he was as a rookie is exactly how he was his last year as well. Of course, that's not to say that he can't turn it around. And even if he doesn't, he's no locker room cancer and he won't disrupt the team. Worst case scenario... The giants waste a roster spot for one year. what? MB is every bit the physical specimen v.davis is...thats something i conceded even when he was a cowboy...the lack of success has nothing to do with any sort of physical limitation, with him, it seems tobe a)mental and b) timing (dallas having and featuring witten so heavily)</P>

lol . . . Bennett is no where near the physical specimen that Davis is. Not even close. </P>

At the scouting combine, Davis ran a 4.38, benched 225 for 33 reps and had a 42" vertical. Off the charts, sick numbers for a TE. His crazy physical skills are why he was drafted #6 overall.</P>

Bennett ran a 4.68, benched 225 for 18 reps and had a 34" vertical.Decent numbers for a TE, but not in the same stratosphere as Davis.To me, the 18 bench reps at his size suggests that he wasn't really busting it in the weight room. </P>

giantsfan420
06-26-2012, 09:45 AM
The gap between Davis and Bennett is vast though. Absolute physical specimens with issues have dominated the game for years now. Bennett just doesn't fall into that category-- he only has one of those traits. If Bennett gets his act together the best he can be is viable receiving option/ a big red zone target. I just don't see him being elite by any means. I have seen nothing from bennett to suggest that he will turn the corner. How he was as a rookie is exactly how he was his last year as well. Of course, that's not to say that he can't turn it around. And even if he doesn't, he's no locker room cancer and he won't disrupt the team. Worst case scenario... The giants waste a roster spot for one year. what? MB is every bit the physical specimen v.davis is...thats something i conceded even when he was a cowboy...the lack of success has nothing to do with any sort of physical limitation, with him, it seems tobe a)mental and b) timing (dallas having and featuring witten so heavily)</P>

lol . . . Bennett is no where near the physical specimen that Davis is.* Not even close.* </P>

At the scouting combine, Davis ran a 4.38, benched 225 for 33 reps and had a 42" vertical.* Off the charts, sick numbers for a TE.* His crazy physical skills are why he was drafted #6 overall.</P>

Bennett ran a 4.68, benched 225 for 18 reps and had a 34" vertical.**Decent numbers for a TE, but not in the same stratosphere as Davis.**To me, the 18 bench reps at his size suggests that he wasn't really busting it in the weight room.* </P>

MB doesnt come close to VD athleticism, which u list characteristics of. Physically, MB is just as unique as VD. MB is what, 6'6 and 280? He may even be bigger than VD...

i guess its how u define physically...i dont define it with 40 times and bench presses, thats a measure of a persons athleticism, speed, strength and agility etc etc. i look solely at the players physical make up/build when discussing physically...and in terms of make up and build, MB could be every bit as intimidating and a mismatch as VD

GMENAGAIN
06-26-2012, 09:51 AM

lol . . . Bennett is no where near the physical specimen that Davis is. Not even close. </P>

At the scouting combine, Davis ran a 4.38, benched 225 for 33 reps and had a 42" vertical. Off the charts, sick numbers for a TE. His crazy physical skills are why he was drafted #6 overall.</P>

Bennett ran a 4.68, benched 225 for 18 reps and had a 34" vertical.Decent numbers for a TE, but not in the same stratosphere as Davis.To me, the 18 bench reps at his size suggests that he wasn't really busting it in the weight room. </P>

MB doesnt come close to VD athleticism, which u list characteristics of. Physically, MB is just as unique as VD. MB is what, 6'6 and 280? He may even be bigger than VD... i guess its how u define physically...i dont define it with 40 times and bench presses, thats a measure of a persons athleticism, speed, strength and agility etc etc. i look solely at the players physical make up/build when discussing physically...and in terms of make up and build, MB could be every bit as intimidating and a mismatch as VD</P>

I don't disagree with that</P>

Ntegrase96
06-26-2012, 11:09 AM

lol . . . Bennett is no where near the physical specimen that Davis is.* Not even close.* </P>

At the scouting combine, Davis ran a 4.38, benched 225 for 33 reps and had a 42" vertical.* Off the charts, sick numbers for a TE.* His crazy physical skills are why he was drafted #6 overall.</P>

Bennett ran a 4.68, benched 225 for 18 reps and had a 34" vertical.**Decent numbers for a TE, but not in the same stratosphere as Davis.**To me, the 18 bench reps at his size suggests that he wasn't really busting it in the weight room.* </P>

MB doesnt come close to VD athleticism, which u list characteristics of. Physically, MB is just as unique as VD. MB is what, 6'6 and 280? He may even be bigger than VD...

i guess its how u define physically...i dont define it with 40 times and bench presses, thats a measure of a persons athleticism, speed, strength and agility etc etc. i look solely at the players physical make up/build when discussing physically...and in terms of make up and build, MB could be every bit as intimidating and a mismatch as VD

Bennett is a lot bigger than Vernon Davis. Davis is one of the smaller tight ends in the league, but he' still large enough to create mismatches.

But coupled with his size is his speed. That is the reason why Vernon Davis is difficult to stop-- but nowhere close to unstoppable.

I think Bennett's size can help him in the redzone, which is where I think he's valuable in both the run game and as a receiving target, but in my 'experience' for lack of a better word, speed is better than size when it comes to receiving options.

Basically, in this very talent rich pool of NFL tight ends, I don't thik Bennett stands out all that much. If he slims down a bit and gets his act together, then maybe. But until then, I don't have much faith.

RichGiants81
06-26-2012, 09:59 PM
I think the coaches took the fun out of the game and possibly made him look it like a job and not a game anymore which made him resent being there. They rode his *** to much, coach Garrett was following him like a shadow preaching tired clichés to him. Some players get tur Ed off by that style of coaching. I know I did in my Bosco days

YATittle1962
06-26-2012, 10:41 PM
I think the coaches took the fun out of the game and possibly made him look it like a job and not a game anymore which made him resent being there. They rode his *** to much, coach Garrett was following him like a shadow preaching tired clichés to him. Some players get tur Ed off by that style of coaching. I know I did in my Bosco days

new flash

it IS his job

and part of his job is to get ridden by coaches and do exactly as they say

as a rookie you humble yourself , understand the amazing opportunity you have been granted, swallow your pride until it is completely gone and do every single tiny little thing your coach says......EVERYTHING

if he says wash my damn socks....you wash his damn socks

RichGiants81
06-27-2012, 01:13 AM

new flash

it IS his job

as a rookie you humble yourself , understand the amazing opportunity you have been granted, swallow your pride until it is completely gone and do every single tiny little thing your coach says......EVERYTHING

I'm not gonna lie, I'm worried to just trying to be optimistic. My point is that players do better when they are having fun and loving the game. When you start to resent playing, you obviously won't do as well

Ntegrase96
06-27-2012, 11:03 AM

Wade was the head coach for the majority of Bennett's career here. Garrett was his OC, but Phillips was the guy that drafted him.

Bennett had no pressure under Wade Phillips and still didn't play very well or take his job seriously.

Then Garrett took over and now the Cowboys are on a much tighter shift than they were under Wade.

So he's had both types of coaching styles and still hasn't yielded the kind of attitude it takes to succeed.

That may change and he may mature, but the reason Martellus is no longer a Cowboy is because he doesn't fit into the Jason Garrett "Right kind of guy" (RKG) mold.

YATittle1962
06-27-2012, 08:54 PM

Wade was the head coach for the majority of Bennett's career here. Garrett was his OC, but Phillips was the guy that drafted him.

Bennett had no pressure under Wade Phillips and still didn't play very well or take his job seriously.

Then Garrett took over and now the Cowboys are on a much tighter shift than they were under Wade.

So he's had both types of coaching styles and still hasn't yielded the kind of attitude it takes to succeed.

That may change and he may mature, but the reason Martellus is no longer a Cowboy is because he doesn't fit into the Jason Garrett "Right kind of guy" (RKG) mold.

did the Dallas beat writers and radio hosts talk about this subject while he was there?

Ntegrase96
06-27-2012, 11:18 PM

did the Dallas beat writers and radio hosts talk about this subject while he was there?

All the time.

At first, Marty B was a guy that was fun and made a lot of funny videos on his youtube account (was even in a Pizza commercial with Jerry around here), but that was in 2008 when he was promising and making plays here and there. Then it was obvious that he was just becoming a headache and he didn't want to take the next step.

But it's a fresh start for Marty B. He may be able to turn it around.

MattMeyerBud
06-28-2012, 09:33 AM
I think the coaches took the fun out of the game and possibly made him look it like a job and not a game anymore which made him resent being there. They rode his *** to much, coach Garrett was following him like a shadow preaching tired clichés to him. Some players get tur Ed off by that style of coaching. I know I did in my Bosco days Wade was the head coach for the majority of Bennett's career here. Garrett was his OC, but Phillips was the guy that drafted him. Bennett had no pressure under Wade Phillips and still didn't play very well or take his job seriously. Then Garrett took over and now the Cowboys are on a much tighter shift than they were under Wade. So he's had both types of coaching styles and still hasn't yielded the kind of attitude it takes to succeed. That may change and he may mature, but the reason Martellus is no longer a Cowboy is because he doesn't fit into the Jason Garrett "Right kind of guy" (RKG) mold. did the Dallas beat writers and radio hosts talk about this subject while he was there?

All the time.

At first, Marty B was a guy that was fun and made a lot of funny videos on his youtube account (was even in a Pizza commercial with Jerry around here), but that was in 2008 when he was promising and making plays here and there. Then it was obvious that he was just becoming a headache and he didn't want to take the next step.

</P>

</P>

well he was/is one of the best blocking TEs in the game andI think its fair to say that there wasn't alot of balls to go around for the backup TE to Jason Witten.</P>

</P>

I'll ride with him this year and im excited to see what he can do</P>

JimC
06-28-2012, 09:59 AM
I think the coaches took the fun out of the game and possibly made him look it like a job and not a game anymore which made him resent being there. They rode his *** to much, coach Garrett was following him like a shadow preaching tired clichés to him. Some players get tur Ed off by that style of coaching. I know I did in my Bosco days Wade was the head coach for the majority of Bennett's career here. Garrett was his OC, but Phillips was the guy that drafted him. Bennett had no pressure under Wade Phillips and still didn't play very well or take his job seriously. Then Garrett took over and now the Cowboys are on a much tighter shift than they were under Wade. So he's had both types of coaching styles and still hasn't yielded the kind of attitude it takes to succeed. That may change and he may mature, but the reason Martellus is no longer a Cowboy is because he doesn't fit into the Jason Garrett "Right kind of guy" (RKG) mold. did the Dallas beat writers and radio hosts talk about this subject while he was there?

All the time.

</p>

</p>

well he was/is one of the best blocking TEs in the game andI think its fair to say that there wasn't alot of balls to go around for the backup TE to Jason Witten.</p>

</p>

I'll ride with him this year and im excited to see what he can do</p>

At this point we have no choice but to "wait and see". I know one thing for sure.......if he doesn't become one of TC's guys you can bet he wont last long here either. It is all up to him.

YATittle1962
06-28-2012, 10:07 AM
he is actually sounding like an adult

this is comforting <a href="http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/06/giants_summer_questionnaire_ti.html">
http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/06/giants_summer_questionnaire_ti.html</a>

Ntegrase96
06-28-2012, 10:49 AM

All the time.

</P>

*</P>

well he was/is one of the best blocking TEs in the game and*I think its fair to say that there wasn't alot of balls to go around for the backup TE to Jason Witten.</P>

*</P>

Oh no doubt. He's THE best blocking TE in the league.

Overall it's not a bad pick-up since there really is no risk and all reward with the 1 year contract.

MattMeyerBud
06-28-2012, 12:03 PM

All the time.

</P>

</P>

well he was/is one of the best blocking TEs in the game andI think its fair to say that there wasn't alot of balls to go around for the backup TE to Jason Witten.</P>

</P>

At this point we have no choice but to "wait and see". I know one thing for sure.......if he doesn't become one of TC's guys you can bet he wont last long here either. It is all up to him.
</P>

</P>

i got to be honest, i dont think he'll last long period. I think he has a big year and will get a better off than we're going to be able to come up with next year</P>

BlueBlooded1979
06-28-2012, 12:47 PM

All the time.

</P>

*</P>

well he was/is one of the best blocking TEs in the game and*I think its fair to say that there wasn't alot of balls to go around for the backup TE to Jason Witten.</P>

*</P>

At this point we have no choice but to "wait and see".* I know one thing for sure.......if he doesn't become one of TC's guys you can bet he wont last long here either.* It is all up to him.
</P>

*</P>

i got to be honest, i dont think he'll last long period. I think he has a big year and will get a better off than we're going to be able to come up with next year</P>

Well let's hope they send him off with a SB ring then.

Gmen2005
06-28-2012, 12:59 PM
I have no expectations for him at this point. If he can play well, it'd be great but I don't expect anything out of him.

rainierjef
06-29-2012, 04:22 PM

new flash

it IS his job

Exactly

He has shown no humility, he is very immature in his approach to the game and personality wise. i sincerely doubt that witten was a major factor of his limitation in dallas, sure witten if romo's BFF&F but from what i gathered, they brought in bennett to be the second option in a dual tight end offense, dallas wanted to do then what the pats are doing now he just never lived up to his collegiate hype. i pretty sure he had opportunities in dallas to be a second option for romo but if you do not take advantage of those opportunites you will not get the trust of your QB and you cannot then hide behind the fact that you were playing next to an all pro tight end as a primary cause a stagnant career.

*discalimer - all in my honest opinion

MattMeyerBud
06-29-2012, 04:48 PM

new flash

it IS his job

Exactly

He has shown no humility, he is very immature in his approach to the game and personality wise. i sincerely doubt that witten was a major factor of his limitation in dallas, sure witten if romo's BFF&amp;F but from what i gathered, they brought in bennett to be the second option in a dual tight end offense, dallas wanted to do then what the pats are doing now he just never lived up to his collegiate hype. i pretty sure he had opportunities in dallas to be a second option for romo but if you do not take advantage of those opportunites you will not get the trust of your QB and you cannot then hide behind the fact that you were playing next to an all pro tight end as a primary cause a stagnant career.

second option? i think thats a major stretch

Most of his PT was running plays

slipknottin
06-29-2012, 05:00 PM
Figure it this way.

Bennett was an average receiver, right? We all can agree on that?

He was a dominant blocker, run and pass.

If you have a great blocker and an average receiver, and at least 3 better receiving options, Witten, Austin, Bryant, that makes Bennett at the most the #4 receiving option.

Why use your #4 receiving option as a receiver when he provides WAY more value as a blocker?

Let Bennett stay at the line and stuff a DE on a pass rush on his own, giving a guy like Felix Jones an opportunity to get out in a pass route?

Bennett therefore did not get all that many opportunities to catch balls. And is largely the reason he wanted to come to a place like NY where hes the #1 TE, and will be forced to be a primary receiver on many plays.

rainierjef
06-29-2012, 05:09 PM

new flash

it IS his job

Exactly

He has shown no humility, he is very immature in his approach to the game and personality wise. i sincerely doubt that witten was a major factor of his limitation in dallas, sure witten if romo's BFF&F but from what i gathered, they brought in bennett to be the second option in a dual tight end offense, dallas wanted to do then what the pats are doing now he just never lived up to his collegiate hype. i pretty sure he had opportunities in dallas to be a second option for romo but if you do not take advantage of those opportunites you will not get the trust of your QB and you cannot then hide behind the fact that you were playing next to an all pro tight end as a primary cause a stagnant career.

What i mean't was the second option TE amongst all the TE's that they had in their efforts to develop a dual TE offense, which is what they were trying to do from what i read.

rainierjef
06-29-2012, 05:12 PM
Figure it this way.

Bennett was an average receiver, right? We all can agree on that?

He was a dominant blocker, run and pass.

If you have a great blocker and an average receiver, and at least 3 better receiving options, Witten, Austin, Bryant, that makes Bennett at the most the #4 receiving option.

Why use your #4 receiving option as a receiver when he provides WAY more value as a blocker?

Let Bennett stay at the line and stuff a DE on a pass rush on his own, giving a guy like Felix Jones an opportunity to get out in a pass route?

Bennett therefore did not get all that many opportunities to catch balls. And is largely the reason he wanted to come to a place like NY where hes the #1 TE, and will be forced to be a primary receiver on many plays.

i can understand this logic, my only beef with him is with the opportunities he did get to be a receiving threat, he did not take advantage of that. and if its as limited as you say by him being the 4th option then thats the more reason he should be making those plays.
i could be wrong about him and what he has done over his career but from what i've see, i am very skeptical of his receiving ability; personally.

Ntegrase96
06-29-2012, 05:14 PM

new flash

it IS his job

Exactly

Rainierjef had it right. Bennett has been here since 2008. After releasing T.O. between 2008 and 2009, Garrett began designing an offense around two tight end sets with Bennett playing a major role.

Understand that this predates the emergence of Miles Austin and Drafting Dez Bryant, so Garrett wanted the primary focus of his offense to be Witten and Bennett.

Martellus was supposed to be a huge staple for the Dallas offense which is why we denied trading him for a 2nd rounder in 09-- his stock would never be that high again as a Cowboy.

Bennett just never held up his end, and toward the end of the season our third TE John Phillips (still on the team) started to overshadow him.

He was relegated to only a few routes and blocking because he was unable to get on the same page as Romo, nor be effective.

Cool Papa B.
07-13-2012, 03:41 PM
Wow!

Pretty intense workouts....

Maybe Bennett is in good shape. His trainer said he is about 270 lbs. right now. Ultimately with him the is the muscle between his ears.

http://www.bigblueview.com/2012/7/13/3156950/video-martellus-bennett-workout-regimen-new-york-giants