PDA

View Full Version : According to report Gmen have 2nd best chance of".............

miked1958
06-23-2012, 06:12 AM
Not making playoffs in 2012. The write up stated that EVERY Season 5-8 teams that made the playoffs the prior year don't qualify the next season due to a harder schedule. They said although it's rare that a SB winning team misses playoffs altogether the following year the giants got the hardest (.547 winning % of opponents) schedule in NFL this season.

They said the giants didn't take full advantage of having the NFC West last season and this yr get the NFC South and AFC North which could make them lose a game more then last season. First on the list of 5 teams that may not repeat as playoff teams was the Saints... Yep..

Of the 5 teams that missed last season that they think will make it this yr. yep. Philly and Dallas?

Thoughts?

miked1958
06-23-2012, 06:13 AM
Here is the website

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=8084947

I apologize if this was posted.. I saw a thread titled "BSPN at it again" but that was about John Clayton predicting we'd finish at 9-7

miked1958
06-23-2012, 06:14 AM
Sorry guys.. For some reason I have a hard time Linking on my iPad. Desktop, no trouble.. Must be doing something wrong. Maybe someone can help me out with that

Rat_bastich
06-23-2012, 06:27 AM
It is definitely an uphill battle to make the playoffs for any team. If the Giants can be consistent and show improvement in their running game and defensive play while maintaining a successful passing game then they will be there.

I would always think the incumbent team should be picked to win it all in the beginning. Just like Phil Simms said.

I don't think it is Giants hate I just think that some folks have gotten the Skip Bayless bug and just say some crazy things. f their predictions come they sound like geniuses and if they are wrong, everyone except those on this board will have forgotten them.

All I can say is wait and see and hope for the best.

Flip Empty
06-23-2012, 06:39 AM
Sorry guys.. For some reason I have a hard time Linking on my iPad. Desktop, no trouble.. Must be doing something wrong. Maybe someone can help me out with that
Place your links inside tags.

Like this: http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=8084947

Doing so will produce: http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=8084947

foosball
06-23-2012, 07:54 AM
They hate the Giants at ESPN.

Flip Empty
06-23-2012, 08:02 AM

It's more that Giants fans seem to take offense at any article which doesn't proclaim them to be the greatest team ever assembled.

chasjay
06-23-2012, 08:51 AM
I think they are basing this on their belief that both the Eagles and Boys underperformed last year. I can see that - but what I can't see is why they don't believe that we also underperformed in the 2011 regular season. On paper, we should have taken both games from the Skins, which would have put our regular season record at 11-5. I don't really care where they pick us to finish - glamor and glitz speak much louder in July & August than they do in December and January. That's when commitment and dedication take over.

I'm ready to have at it - but have to get through a few more months of the "fidgets" yet.

Toadofsteel
06-23-2012, 09:02 AM
Yeah it's common for teams to get a much harder schedule than the previous year if the team had made the playoffs. But the thing is, we were in 2nd place in 2010, but so were SF, NO, and GB (they were wildcard for their own SB run). Now all of those teams are in 1st with us. The only teams that are changing are that the other three teams in the NFC West (arizona, st. louis, and seattle) are replaced with NFC South (atlanta, tampa, and carolina), as well as the AFC East being replaced with the AFC North. So the schedule is a tiny bit harder, but we had a tough schedule last season too. The biggest hurdle that we didn't have to face last year is Carolina (and after that, Baltimore). As long as our many games vs. the eagles have paid off against running QBs, we should be fine. Pittsburgh is aging pretty hard now, we get the saints at home for a change, and I don't see the Browns or the Bengals being terribly much of a concern either.

The most important thing is to win games inside the division. We went 3-3 in the division last year. We need to sweep washington and preferably Philly too. It's likely to come down to division records with us, as the race for the division will be tight...

miked1958
06-23-2012, 09:08 AM
Place your links inside tags.

Like this: http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=8084947

Doing so will produce: http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=8084947Thankyou!!!

Toadofsteel
06-23-2012, 09:15 AM
I think they are basing this on their belief that both the Eagles and Boys underperformed last year. I can see that - but what I can't see is why they don't believe that we also underperformed in the 2011 regular season. On paper, we should have taken both games from the Skins, which would have put our regular season record at 11-5. I don't really care where they pick us to finish - glamor and glitz speak much louder in July & August than they do in December and January. That's when commitment and dedication take over.

I'm ready to have at it - but have to get through a few more months of the "fidgets" yet.

It's definitely the case that we were battling a MASSIVE injury bug last year, and improved as people came back online towards the end, especially on defense. Thankfully, the only big name injury so far is Hakeem Nicks *knock on wood*, and he's projected to be playable from week 1, and at 100% by weeks 2-3.

With all 3 of our big pass rushers ready to go (and Osi happy with his extra money), we'll be able to place any QB under siege for most of the game. We were ranked third even with Osi out for half the season, so we'll perform even better up front.

In the back, Prince Amukamara benefits from having a full offseason. Joe Buck in the div. game vs GB and Al Michaels in the SB both called special attention to him when he stepped on the field, and said watch Rodgers/Brady try to exploit this guy, and he didn't let them. He has only upside as he gets to learn our defense better. T2 coming back means we have 3 pro bowl level CB's on our team, and Ross is actually the worst of the three (still no slouch though). Rolle will be allowed to play safety again, and he seems to have come around with regards to his team attitude.

Our offense looks no less scarier. Randle is just as much of a beast as Manningham was. With three WR's that all have to be given special attention, we can stretch defenses to the breaking point. Our run game will only improve with Wilson in the backfield with Bradshaw.

Yeah, we're improved...

miked1958
06-23-2012, 09:20 AM
Yeah it's common for teams to get a much harder schedule than the previous year if the team had made the playoffs. But the thing is, we were in 2nd place in 2010, but so were SF, NO, and GB (they were wildcard for their own SB run). Now all of those teams are in 1st with us. The only teams that are changing are that the other three teams in the NFC West (arizona, st. louis, and seattle) are replaced with NFC South (atlanta, tampa, and carolina), as well as the AFC East being replaced with the AFC North. So the schedule is a tiny bit harder, but we had a tough schedule last season too. The biggest hurdle that we didn't have to face last year is Carolina (and after that, Baltimore). As long as our many games vs. the eagles have paid off against running QBs, we should be fine. Pittsburgh is aging pretty hard now, we get the saints at home for a change, and I don't see the Browns or the Bengals being terribly much of a concern either.

The most important thing is to win games inside the division. We went 3-3 in the division last year. We need to sweep washington and preferably Philly too. It's likely to come down to division records with us, as the race for the division will be tight...Very well thought out post. And I agree. To add to it we have 4 of those division Games that you mentioned in the first 8. So 50% of all our games in the first half of the season our against divison rivals. We also see SF, Carolina, Tampa and Cleveland. If we don't want to dig ourselves a huge hole in the division and for a playoff spot overall we need to go 3-1 in those rival games and 3-1 in the other 4, or at worst 2-2 in those. That would make us 6-2 at the break and at the absolute worst 5-3 (but 3-1 NFCE) going into the second half which again turns out to be the harder half of our schedule for like the 3rd yr in a row

miked1958
06-23-2012, 09:27 AM
We see the steelers , Packers, Saints, falcons, Ravens and Philly in 2nd half... All very very tough games. We also have must win games vs Cinncinati, Skins.

So we split with steelers/saints and ravens/Philly.
Beat falcons, skins, Cinn.
lose to GB.

That would make us 10-6 to 11-5.. That's playoffs

Mercury
06-23-2012, 11:45 AM
We see the steelers , Packers, Saints, falcons, Ravens and Philly in 2nd half... All very very tough games. We also have must win games vs Cinncinati, Skins.

lose to GB.

We've missed the playoffs at 10-6. Not saying it's likely to happen, but just saying it's possible.

06-23-2012, 01:10 PM
Well said Toadofsteel : ) One of these seasons the entire league will finish 8-8!

miked1958
06-23-2012, 03:24 PM

lose to GB.

We've missed the playoffs at 10-6.* Not saying it's likely to happen, but just saying it's possible.

I am thinking it will be a WC at 10-6 or 11-5 for the divison

Captain Chaos
06-23-2012, 03:41 PM
Not making playoffs in 2012. The write up stated that EVERY Season 5-8 teams that made the playoffs the prior year don't qualify the next season due to a harder schedule. They said although it's rare that a SB winning team misses playoffs altogether the following year the giants got the hardest (.547 winning % of opponents) schedule in NFL this season.

They said the giants didn't take full advantage of having the NFC West last season and this yr get the NFC South and AFC North which could make them lose a game more then last season. First on the list of 5 teams that may not repeat as playoff teams was the Saints... Yep..

Of the 5 teams that missed last season that they think will make it this yr. yep. Philly and Dallas?

Thoughts?

I don't know how they can tell anything when none of the teams have been through a summer training program.

Regarding the point about the NFC South and AFC North, don't the eagles, Cowboys and Redskins have to play them as well? where is the great disadvantage?

We get Green Bay at home and SF on the road, both will be a challenge but winable.

I think these clowns are underating our D, which I think barring injuries will be better this year (look at the LBs alone). Offensive line is an area of concern but given the entire summer they should be able to put something together. I believe the Giants will be a force to reckon with this year...contrary to what the folks at ESPN believe.

Diamondring
06-23-2012, 03:47 PM

lose to GB.

We've missed the playoffs at 10-6.* Not saying it's likely to happen, but just saying it's possible.

Pats did it at 11 and 5 so even havin that record might not get us into playoffs.

GOBIGBLUE52
06-23-2012, 03:48 PM

lose to GB.

We've missed the playoffs at 10-6. Not saying it's likely to happen, but just saying it's possible.

Pats did it at 11 and 5 so even havin that record might not get us into playoffs.

49/50 times 11-5 makes the playoffs.

JJC7301
06-23-2012, 11:22 PM
ESPN hates the Giants, but in fairness, they have the hardest schedule, by far.

I think that the Giants should be better than last year, but they need to cut the crap out with the injuries.

jomo
06-23-2012, 11:37 PM
It's more that Giants fans seem to take offense at any article which doesn't proclaim them to be the greatest team ever assembled.<FONT color=#ff0000>Yeah that's it.</FONT>

Flip Empty
06-24-2012, 12:23 AM
It's more that Giants fans seem to take offense at any article which doesn't proclaim them to be the greatest team ever assembled.<FONT color=#ff0000>Yeah that's it.</FONT>
You're saying fans don't take offense at meaningless opinion pieces?

UmenYiourAnIdiot
06-28-2012, 07:45 PM

Thoughts?

By the same logic wouldn't that mean the NFC South will not be as good this year as they were last year?

It's an educated crap shoot trying to call it.

RagTime Blue
06-28-2012, 07:55 PM

It's more that Giants fans seem to take offense at any article which doesn't proclaim them to be the greatest team ever assembled.

I think you're right, actually.

But the other side of the coin is that analysts don't seem to notice good "teams". They seem to focus more on superstars, and the way TC keeps this team, even the best players never get bigger than the team.

They see that we lost 2 "superstars" and gained none in FA. We were 9-7 last year. The uneducated will continue to pick other sexier teams.

THE_New_York_Giants
06-28-2012, 07:57 PM

Thoughts?

Idk how we didn't take advantage last year... we won the east and then won the mother f***ing Super Bowl. what else can you f***ing ask for?

ShakeNBake
06-28-2012, 08:41 PM

Thoughts?

Like others have said its a crapshoot. There are so many different variables that influence the outcomes of games that any team can beat another. Its funny that the article says that we could lose an extra game this year vs last because of the harder schedule when we destroyed the Falcons last year in the playoffs and we went on a tear beating some other great teams showing that we have the potential to do so again this year. We didn't lose anyone that was indispensable this off season and teams change during the course of the season due to injuries/suspensions so our schedule which now looks like its rough could turn in to a cakewalk. We only have two rough away games outside of the NFC which doesn't change year to year(@ SF and @ Baltimore look like the worst right now) so who knows. Every year the Eagles and Cowboys get hyped up and we are the underdogs, so nothing new here.

yoeddy
06-28-2012, 08:54 PM

It's more than some of us are mystified that the defending division winner and Super Bowl champion is being picked to finish 3rd in the division, despite sweeping the Cowboys and splitting with the Eagles last year...we share a similar record to the Eagles over the past 8 years and a much better record than the Cowboys over the same period. We have most of our core on both offense and defense returning, and arguably the best coaching staff in the conference. How do we get picked to finish 3rd in the division and miss the playoffs?

yoeddy
06-28-2012, 08:57 PM

lose to GB.

I am thinking it will be a WC at 10-6 or 11-5 for the divison

So you think Dallas or Philly will go 12-4? I don't see it...both finished at 8-8 last year, and I don't think either has improved by that much...

Neverend
06-28-2012, 11:15 PM
Very disturbing they think the giants will miss the playoffs

who the hell did the eagles beat late in the year? the woeful skins? dallas team without romo? miami team with no direction? new york team in turmoil?

some of those teams were downright uncompetitive or were playing second stringers (dallas, washington). i will admit they did look extremely impressive against the jets and the fashion that they won in was also worthy of praise but this IN NO WAY makes them a better team than the giants or the division favorites. the giants beat superior teams later in the year that weren't playing backup players or were dysfunctional

these analysts dont even take into factor the giants offseason or how they made the playoffs. its like the giants are the dallas mavericks... an aging over-the-hill team that overachieved. the giants are the opposite

greenca190
06-29-2012, 10:27 AM

Every analyst was on board with the giants leading up to the super bowl in February. And a lot of guys on this team were saying overly confident remarks that we had never heard come out of that locker room in recent years.

yoeddy
06-29-2012, 10:52 AM

Every analyst was on board with the giants leading up to the super bowl in February. And a lot of guys on this team were saying overly confident remarks that we had never heard come out of that locker room in recent years.

Looking at this, it was slightly in the Giants' favor, but closer to 50-50 than "every analyst on board with the Giants":

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2011/story/_/page/superbowlpicks12/super-bowl-2012-super-bowl-xlvi-predictions

In the playoffs, the Giants were only favored against Atlanta...they were underdogs on the betting line against the 49ers and the Patriots.

miked1958
07-24-2012, 12:36 AM
I agree. Philly is for sure overrated

JimC
07-24-2012, 11:13 AM
The way I see it...................the Iggles, Cowboys and Skins will have a very tough time making the playoffs because they each have to play the GIANTS twice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TrueBlue@NYC
07-24-2012, 12:09 PM
The thing that bugs me with the Eagles and Cowboys being picked over the Giants is that most if it seems to be based on the ASSUMPTION that both the Eagles and Boys were better teams than the Giants last year but simply didn't make it to the playoffs. The second assumption is that these two teams WILL improve from within AND they each became better through their offseason additions. Meanwhile the Giants were not as talented to begin with AND they AT BEST are status quo with the offseason losses of BJ, MM etc being replaced by draft picks.

As has been said before on this thread. The other teams have made flashier moves and therefore the analysts view them as making vast improvements.

TrueBlue@NYC
07-24-2012, 12:10 PM
Oh, and the last time we had a schedule this tough was in 2008, when everyone thought this team would miss the playoffs b/c of the personnel losses after the SB and having the league's toughest schedule that year. And just look at what they did that season.

RedskinHater
07-25-2012, 10:52 AM

Exactly ! Every fan of every team thinks some sportswriter or station positively hates their own team unless they act like some rabid fan of their own team !

Fuhgeddaboutit
07-25-2012, 10:56 AM
Exactly ! Every fan of every team thinks some sportswriter or station positively hates their own team unless they act like some rabid fan of their own team ![/QUOTE]

Uh-oh, screwed up your quotes

SUPERBOWL/BOUND/GIANTS
07-25-2012, 02:22 PM
Giants make the playoffs... 10-6 and go on to win the big one. ha ha ha.....

for real tho... like everyone else said, it boils down to the division. As far as what ESPN thinks, everyone expects the best to play their best, and its clear to me that the Giants still dont get the respect they deserve, according to ESPN and a whole bunch of writers, the Giants are not even the best team in the division, therefore they think the Eagles and the Cowboys will elevate their play this year, making them playoff teams. I agree, I think there will be 3 teams going to the playoffs from the NFC East and thats fine with me.

I also think the Giants are the best team in the NFC east.. maybe #1 thru 3 in the entire NFC depending how much you love the Packers and the Saints offense. But the Giants are the best complete team, they have worked together and succeeded together and I think that goes a long way, they will be in the playoffs because they know they are a playoff team and once they get their they can match up with anybody.

Comparing the wins vs. losses from last year and saying the Giants only won 9 games, I think you have to remember those games.. the Giants were not only depleated on defense in many of those games, they also were not out of many of those losses, this team was never out of a game last year. I remember watching every game last year feeling that this team can score points quickly. They struggled on 3rd down on offense and defense that hurt them. They have to improve like every other team, and with the young talent and their blooming confidence after a Super Bowl win, I think we all will see some vast improvement happening with ease on offense and defense.

rxc999
07-25-2012, 03:10 PM
They all can hate us if they want..like few co-workers who are deadskins and bears fan..telling me the same thing...all i told them we are going to get into the big dance in Jan..and rest will be history..nobody wants to play us in Jan...Feb!!!

Breezely
07-25-2012, 04:35 PM
So what else is new???? Let me guess. . . . . .Philly or Dallas is going to the Superbowl to face the Patriots!!!!

joemorrisforprez
07-25-2012, 06:00 PM
It all depends on the health of the team.

sharick88
07-25-2012, 06:10 PM
So what else is new???? Let me guess. . . . . .Philly or Dallas is going to the Superbowl to face the Patriots!!!!

Either them or the Packers. I just LOL @ BSPN and go about my business.

derekunion28
07-25-2012, 06:23 PM
i like it this way , love when then count us out

Captain Chaos
07-25-2012, 06:23 PM
Well that is assuming we didn't get any better this offseason and the rest of the NFL did...

giants.slo
07-26-2012, 10:17 AM
Strength of schedule before season means nothing.

jakegibbs
07-26-2012, 10:20 AM

Thoughts?

So Eguls & Little Boys are in & the SB NYF Giants are out & all 3 teams have to play the NFC South & AFC North right? Is there somewhere in Vegas where they have the Giants 100-1 not to make the playoffs? Let me know I think I'll make a little wager.

gumby74
07-26-2012, 11:34 AM
Since it's so important to some of you, just think that the media secretly wants us to win and that they secretly think we're an awesome team. That's why they pick against us. We always do our best that way.

Imgrate
07-26-2012, 07:07 PM
We will be dominant this year. I'm convinced of it.

jomo
07-27-2012, 12:14 PM
We will be dominant this year. I'm convinced of it.Love the name, it has great nostalgic appeal here. You've obviously been here for longer than 8 posts since Jul 2012.

Imgrate
07-27-2012, 02:25 PM
Love the name, it has great nostalgic appeal here. You've obviously been here for longer than 8 posts since Jul 2012.I'm lawl. I'll put up avatar and sig for recognition sooner or later

jomo
07-27-2012, 03:36 PM
I'm lawl. I'll put up avatar and sig for recognition sooner or laterI had a sense we already knew you. Good to see you lawl. Let's have a great season!

miked1958
07-27-2012, 05:06 PM
I'm lawl. I'll put up avatar and sig for recognition sooner or laterOh okay... Tons of Posts and threads in your back pocket already. What happened? Couldn't remember old email. Why couldn't you carry Lawl forward to the new Boards

Imgrate
07-27-2012, 06:02 PM
Oh okay... Tons of Posts and threads in your back pocket already. What happened? Couldn't remember old email. Why couldn't you carry Lawl forward to the new BoardsDon't know the old email address unfortunately.

giant-4-life
07-27-2012, 11:01 PM
I truly disagree with analysts. This is a team sport. if the team plays with heart, ANYTHING is possible. we were 9-7 and won the big show. what does that say? we stepped up when we needed to.

I'm sick and tired of all these analysts who every year jump on cowturd and e-girl bandwagons.

BParcells777
07-27-2012, 11:10 PM
Mathematically we may have the 2nd best chance of missing the playoffs
Realistically we have a 25% chance of getting another Lombardi

ny06
07-27-2012, 11:14 PM
I like our chances this season, the guys seem hungry and ready to defend the title.